Amaron Battery - Made In India. Anyone Try?

JetsetBkk

Has anyone tried the Amaron brand of battery in their diesel pickup?

A guy I know just had his dud battery replaced by an Amaron for about 3,500 baht. It comes with a 2 year guarantee.

My FB sealed battery was 3,800 baht and is beginning to show signs of ageing - slower engine turnover on starting, so I was looking to replace it soon. It's about 1 year 10 months old, so that's about normal for this climate.

A Boliden silver calcium sealed costs around the same and are No.1 in my opinion. thumbsup.gif

( If you can find a dealer)

Hmm, I've never seen them in Phuket. The guy who told me about the Amaron battery fixed my Yamaha bike starting problem which I wrote about here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732433-battery-recommendations-for-yamaha-nouvo

To cut a long story short, he determined that the problem was not my 1-year old battery but the solenoid starter switch. Now the bike starts every time.

So I think I'll go with his recommendation and get an Amaron. My current maintenance-free FB battery is now 1 year 10 months old, which is two months younger than my previous one - an FB normal lead-acid battery. So that was well worth the extra money huh.png.

If the Amaron dies before the two year warranty period expires, I'll let you all know!

Thanks for all your input.

Edit: I'll ask him about the Boliden silver calcium battery, too.

Edited by JetsetBkk

A Boliden silver calcium sealed costs around the same and are No.1 in my opinion. thumbsup.gif

Hmm, I've never seen them in Phuket. The guy who told me about the Amaron battery fixed my Yamaha bike starting problem which I wrote about here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732433-battery-recommendations-for-yamaha-nouvo

To cut a long story short, he determined that the problem was not my 1-year old battery but the solenoid starter switch. Now the bike starts every time.

So I think I'll go with his recommendation and get an Amaron. My current maintenance-free FB battery is now 1 year 10 months old, which is two months younger than my previous one - an FB normal lead-acid battery. So that was well worth the extra money huh.png.

If the Amaron dies before the two year warranty period expires, I'll let you all know!

I had two "Toyota" batteries that lasted exactly 2 years. Had a Boliden sent up from BKK, when it arrived it had been put on it's side and lost an unknown amount of water. sad.png (don't ask). Anyhoooo, had to fit it...It lasted over 3 years even with a low level of water/acid....thumbsup.gif

I can beat that! biggrin.png Have a read here about the first "new" car that I bought: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/468419-german-battery-varta-available-in-thailand/?p=4436007

In fact, you've read it already because you replied to it! biggrin.png

Yep, it can be done, longevity that is....Just finding the key to it. Here I now lift the hood when I get home, charge it once a month..But, I now have a lead/acid battery,,No Boliden...But I will post if this lead/acid battery lasts longer via my efforts...smile.png

Yes, heat is the main problem. Lifting the hood helps, but I would like to put my battery somewhere other than in the engine compartment - like big trucks do - but it's not practical. I would've thought some enterprising garage would have designed such a modification for popular pick-ups, but I've not seen anything like it. If it's legal for big trucks, why not pick-ups?

How about a water-cooled insulating jacket surrounding the battery compartment? (Whoops, getting a bit esoteric here cheesy.gif )

The body repair guy put an Amaron battery in my pick-up. After 2 weeks it holding up extremely well! And it's green, my favourite colour.

You seem to be delighted that it has held up for a full 2 weeks??

Yes, it's a good omen. I may even have a little celebration at the one month anniversary!

I had two "Toyota" batteries that lasted exactly 2 years. Had a Boliden sent up from BKK, when it arrived it had been put on it's side and lost an unknown amount of water. sad.png (don't ask). Anyhoooo, had to fit it...It lasted over 3 years even with a low level of water/acid....thumbsup.gif

I can beat that! biggrin.png Have a read here about the first "new" car that I bought: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/468419-german-battery-varta-available-in-thailand/?p=4436007

In fact, you've read it already because you replied to it! biggrin.png

Yep, it can be done, longevity that is....Just finding the key to it. Here I now lift the hood when I get home, charge it once a month..But, I now have a lead/acid battery,,No Boliden...But I will post if this lead/acid battery lasts longer via my efforts...smile.png

Mine lasted just less than 3.5 years and I lift the bonnet (hood) after stopping whenever possible ... that means when I can see the truck or it's parked in my driveway.

The underhood temperature on my V-Cross isn't that bad but I lifted a friends Fortuner hood (bonnet) and 'wow' wasn't that hot. The engine compartment is completely full on a Fortuner

Edited by JAS21

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, heat is the main problem. Lifting the hood helps, but I would like to put my battery somewhere other than in the engine compartment - like big trucks do - but it's not practical. I would've thought some enterprising garage would have designed such a modification for popular pick-ups, but I've not seen anything like it. If it's legal for big trucks, why not pick-ups?

How about a water-cooled insulating jacket surrounding the battery compartment? (Whoops, getting a bit esoteric here cheesy.gif )

What about a big size condom, filled with Naam Kaeng? Can give you some of mine very cheap.....thumbsup.gif

<snip> OP My FB sealed battery was 3,800 baht and is beginning to show signs of ageing - slower engine turnover on starting, so I was looking to replace it soon. It's about 1 year 10 months old, so that's about normal for this climate < snip end>

Please make sure that it's not your starter that's saying good bye soon. Had the same issue, then drove to a battery shop where the guy had some fancy homemade testers, but finally told me the battery was at fault.

Here's an easy way to check your battery. The voltage shouldn't drop under 10 volts when the starter's turning.

P.S. I couldn't even get my "old" battery back, the guy told me that somebody a;ready picked it up and I had to buy a new starter as well

The Chinese made starters do not last long. Just saying. .

Edited by lostinisaan

I'm now doing that each time I get home - just release the bonnet catch (don't raise it right up) and lift the wipers off the screen. I feel very Thai. biggrin.png

<snip> OP My FB sealed battery was 3,800 baht and is beginning to show signs of ageing - slower engine turnover on starting, so I was looking to replace it soon. It's about 1 year 10 months old, so that's about normal for this climate < snip end>

Please make sure that it's not your starter that's saying good bye soon. Had the same issue, then drove to a battery shop where the guy had some fancy homemade testers, but finally told me the battery was at fault.

Here's an easy way to check your battery. The voltage shouldn't drop under 10 volts when the starter's turning.

P.S. I couldn't even get my "old" battery back, the guy told me that somebody a;ready picked it up and I had to buy a new starter as well.

That is something I was considering - either the starter motor on its way out or an ignition problem. It used to fire on the first revolution, but now usually takes two revolutions. And yet, when the engine is hot - because I'd just turned it off - it starts pretty quickly. I always thought diesels were slower to start when the engine was hot, but maybe that's simply wrong. The engine is 12 years old, so I doubt it gets tight when it's hot.

re. the video - I'll do the same voltage checks myself tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Amaron is an ok brand and falls under the Johnson Controls group which also owns VARTA. Quality standards are really ok as long as you stick with the pro version.

I went to the battery shop last week to ask for the battery to be checked, but the knowledgeable boss wasn't there. So one of the guys put a meter across the battery, measured the voltage and started the engine.

Then he turned the engine off and flicked a switch on the meter and started it again. This time it turned over very slowly because I'm pretty sure the switch was shunting a lot of amps away from the starter! And all three of them - the guy and two girls - all shouted in unison: "New battery!".

I'll go back again when the owner is back. biggrin.png

I'm now doing that each time I get home - just release the bonnet catch (don't raise it right up) and lift the wipers off the screen. I feel very Thai. biggrin.png

P.S. I couldn't even get my "old" battery back, the guy told me that somebody a;ready picked it up and I had to buy a new starter as well.

That is something I was considering - either the starter motor on its way out or an ignition problem. It used to fire on the first revolution, but now usually takes two revolutions. And yet, when the engine is hot - because I'd just turned it off - it starts pretty quickly. I always thought diesels were slower to start when the engine was hot, but maybe that's simply wrong. The engine is 12 years old, so I doubt it gets tight when it's hot.

re. the video - I'll do the same voltage checks myself tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Amaron is an ok brand and falls under the Johnson Controls group which also owns VARTA. Quality standards are really ok as long as you stick with the pro version.

I went to the battery shop last week to ask for the battery to be checked, but the knowledgeable boss wasn't there. So one of the guys put a meter across the battery, measured the voltage and started the engine.

Then he turned the engine off and flicked a switch on the meter and started it again. This time it turned over very slowly because I'm pretty sure the switch was shunting a lot of amps away from the starter! And all three of them - the guy and two girls - all shouted in unison: "New battery!".

I'll go back again when the owner is back. biggrin.png

Here's my test:

Looks to me like the battery is OK. I don't know how much the DVM's display is damped or smoothed - the reading goes just under 10v while the starter is going.

Sorry about the dog. I'd shoot it if I could get away with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Have just fitted my 3rd Battery first one 'Toyota' lasted less than 2 years. Then it was a G/S super diamond maintenance free one, that lasted over 4,1/2 years only changed it because I miss treated it twice. By leaving it sitting uncharged whilst I was in England for 3 months. Did the same few months ago this time I couldn't wait for it to charge up so got another. Cost for a S/D 105amp hour is 3,000bt that's after they gave me back 500bt for the old one.

Was in the shop the other day and they told me it was still ok just needed more charging, also I could have it back if I gave them their 500bt back.

I told them they could keep it, last thing I want hanging about is a second hand albeit fully charged working battery.

Would I recommend them you bet.

Edited by fredob43

• 4 months later...

Yes Amaron is best in battery brands. When i bought car then company fitted Amaron Battery on it. Now 4 years is completed and I'm very happy with the performance and life of Amaron Battery. Recently my battery is dead and i replaced the new Amaron battery from BatteryBhai.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Amaron is best in battery brands. When i bought car then company fitted Amaron Battery on it. Now 4 years is completed and I'm very happy with the performance and life of Amaron Battery. Recently my battery is dead and i replaced the new Amaron battery from BatteryBhai.com.

Sadly my state is not included on the BatteryBhai.com site. How can I order a low-cost battery?

Sadly my state is not included on the BatteryBhai.com site. How can I order a low-cost battery?

Google ... BB Battery Delivery ... worth a try