buy the freshest vegetables in Chiang Mai Where

krey

Hello

I often go to the regular food stores such as Maya, Big C, Food Land etc etc and though the vegetables are okay nothing to jump up and down about. IS there places in Chiang Mai that would be a better option, directly from the farm or something, a market that everyone goes too? I was just curious where people go to get their veggies thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roadsides out of town where the farmers sell direct out of their pickups.

(all the radial roads leading out, the road to Mae Rim, outside the golf club and shooting range is a popular location)

Can't get any fresher than that.

The fruit and veg market, from Sripoom Corner of the moat, head out to the river, road on the left after traffic lights and before river.

Some of these are farmers, some are retailers.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Kings Project, Doi Kham south of town,turn off Canal Rd towards Night Safari follow Rd around towards temple on the hill.

Mae Hia market on the Canal Rd about a km before left hand side.

Also has small Rimping and a host of smaller shops,food court ,PO ,Bangkok Bank etc.Lot of their veges come from the Kings Project Doi Kham

The wife and I stock up at the Royal Project Shop (Suthep Road just off the Canal Road) once or twice a month- the selection is pretty decent, and everything is fresh as can be.

that would be Doi Kham. no one would have a clue what you meant if you asked for Royal Project shop.

The wife and I stock up at the Royal Project Shop (Suthep Road just off the Canal Road) once or twice a month- the selection is pretty decent, and everything is fresh as can be.

that would be Doi Kham. no one would have a clue what you meant if you asked for Royal Project shop.

a

It's the Doi Kham Royal Project Shop. I call it 'Royal Project Shop' as that's what my calls it, and I got into the habit, though it's true locals would call it 'Doi Kham'.

I believe Flare is referring to the smaller Royal Project on the CMU campus near CMU Steak and Coffee, not the location near Doi Kham.

I believe Flare is referring to the smaller Royal Project on the CMU campus near CMU Steak and Coffee, not the location near Doi Kham.
Could be- I haven't been in CM long enough to really have a firm grasp on the various sections, so I assumed Oscar2 was thinking of the same shop.;)

Yes, it's the one at the CMU campus- heading north on the Canal Road turn left at Suthep Road and it's the first right turn about 50 meters down. It's a nice little shop, and they've also got decent (and strong) coffee.

Now if this isn't the Doi Kham shop, I'll have to find it and have a look.:)

Edited by flare

There are numerous 'fresh markets' all around Chiang Mai... JackRayYawn mentioned Thannin Market (Sriwattana) just off Chiang Puak Rd.... the farmers are bringing fresh produce in all day long and the counters are piled high with fresh green veggies. There is Somphet Market just west of Thapae Gate along Moon Muang Rd, also brimming with fresh veggies. In the area before and to the north of the US consulate there is a HUGE fresh market. And Warrarote Market, and along the Canal Rd, and... and... and....and....

Almost every neighborhood seems to have its own large fresh market with prices 1/2 to 1/3 those found in the supermarkets with much fresher produce. But... the produce isn't wrapped in sterile clingwrap and there may be some dirt still clinging to the roots. Perhaps even the occasional bug.... But the tastes.... fresh out of the ground!

I have an endless supply of organic veggies and fruits from the Hmong people here in Tamban Suthep if your interested?

Unless you personally knew both the farmer and the farm itself, I would be very dubious towards any produce in Thailand being marketed as "organic". It is very difficult to grow any produce in quantity in Thailand without using pesticides and my Hmong neighbors are prolific users of pesticides, as are most Thai farmers. Rinse all your produce well and you just might escape having your cells mutate as mine have.

Almost every neighborhood seems to have its own large fresh market with prices 1/2 to 1/3 those found in the supermarkets with much fresher produce. But... the produce isn't wrapped in sterile clingwrap

Also lack proper declarations. For example Rimping marks their produce to indicate if they are organic, pesticide free, etc.

Almost every neighborhood seems to have its own large fresh market with prices 1/2 to 1/3 those found in the supermarkets with much fresher produce. But... the produce isn't wrapped in sterile clingwrap

Also lack proper declarations. For example Rimping marks their produce to indicate if they are organic, pesticide free, etc.

It's probably best if you stick to Rimping. Personally, I'll stick to the fresh markets. I have no need for organic produce.

i would theres one at plaza 89 but i have no idea what they sell as never been in. my wife did buy some juice from there strawberry and tomato (not mixed)

It's probably best if you stick to Rimping. Personally, I'll stick to the fresh markets. I have no need for organic produce.

I also dont need organic produce, but i am very concerned at the amounts of nasty chemicals that are used by local farmers.

No doubt vegies are fresh at markets, but wno knows how much poison one is ingesting from this produce.?

I have an endless supply of organic veggies and fruits from the Hmong people here in Tamban Suthep if your interested?

Unless you personally knew both the farmer and the farm itself, I would be very dubious towards any produce in Thailand being marketed as "organic". It is very difficult to grow any produce in quantity in Thailand without using pesticides and my Hmong neighbors are prolific users of pesticides, as are most Thai farmers. Rinse all your produce well and you just might escape having your cells mutate as mine have.

Johpa, you are indeed entitled to question the 'organic' nature of any produce grown in Thailand given the air pollution in most parts of Thailand especially Chiang Mai. Where exactly are your Hmong growers?

I also dont need organic produce, but i am very concerned at the amounts of nasty chemicals that are used by local farmers.

No doubt vegies are fresh at markets, but wno knows how much poison one is ingesting from this produce.?

...and who knows how accurate Rimping is its labeling. Is there any oversight? The supermarkets may be 'told' that the produce they are buying is organic or pesticide-free, but this is Thailand.

If you've been here longer than a week you are well aware of the realities that exist here.

Personally I wouldn't believe anything is pesticide free, unless I grew it myself or knew the grower well.

It's like asking if the bus you are taking has a careful driver - of course it does , they want to sell you the ticket.

Where exactly are your Hmong growers?

Up in the mountains around Doi Suthep and Doi Pui.

PS

Totally amazed that so many peeps think an organic label stuck on a clingfilm wrap means it really is organic.

Not to mention the supermarket produce is often imported from China.

What would be the fine for lying ........... 100bht?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

At the moment its not a good time for vegetables,between seasons,

and the prices are a lot higher at this time of year,just waiting for the

new crops of potatoes and onions to come on the market,

The OP only asked for where he could find the freshest vegetables,

and he has been given many good recommendations,regards Organic

vegetables,thats a cloudy subject,I would not pay more for vegetables

that are sold as Organic,because you could never be sure they are,

also its not just chemical contamination of vegetables we need to worry

about,also meats,and a host of other food products,maybe its better if

you don't look too deeply into this as you would never eat anything.

regards worgeordie

PS

Totally amazed that so many peeps think an organic label stuck on a clingfilm wrap means it really is organic.

same with free range eggs, always dubious especially as we know there are unscrupulous people out there willing to charge more for something that isn't koasha. i recall a few years back a supplier to tesco was suppling "free range eggs" Tesco were charging customers the higher price and then it was reported that these so called free range eggs were battery hens eggs.

Call me a sceptic but unless I see it myself I am a wee bit cynical on the whole organic thing as its way too easy for someone to say it is and then charge more.

I would not pay more for vegetables

that are sold as Organic,because you could never be sure they are,

also its not just chemical contamination of vegetables we need to worry

about,also meats,and a host of other food products,maybe its better if

you don't look too deeply into this as you would never eat anything.

regards worgeordie

Which would be the healthiest meal ..... Big Mac or a salad soaked in organophosphates?

Just wondering??

Edited by MaeJoMTB

PS

same with free range eggs, always dubious especially as we know there are unscrupulous people out there willing to charge more for something that isn't koasha. i recall a few years back a supplier to tesco was suppling "free range eggs" Tesco were charging customers the higher price and then it was reported that these so called free range eggs were battery hens eggs.

Call me a sceptic but unless I see it myself I am a wee bit cynical on the whole organic thing as its way too easy for someone to say it is and then charge more.

My brother and I (10 and 12) used to buy cases of Egg marketing board eggs,those were the ones with

the little Lions stamped on them (this is UK), in the evenings we used to carefully rub off the Lions with

emery paper,and next day,Sat/Sun,school holidays, we used to go around the street selling fresh farm

eggs,which where obviously more expensive,we also used to sell potatoes and firewood at different times,

first steps of been an entrepreneur,start young and you can retire at 42.

regards worgeordie unscrupulous at 12,OK, but those without sin throw the first stone

Edited by worgeordie