Police nab mentally ill man who attacked stranger in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

Police nab mentally ill attacker

Angsuma Sridokkam

Visarut Sankham

30271068-02_big.JPG

BANGKOK:-- A mentally ill man has been arrested after beating a stranger in Lat Pharo in Bangkok.

The attack, which took place on Tuesday, was caught on CCTV.

After video clips about the attack went viral on Thursday, police approached the alleged attacker at 111 Soi Lat Phrao.

He tried to run away but police persuaded him to surrender.

The suspect, 32, has tattoos across his body.

Pol Maj-General Sanit Mahathavorn, deputy commander of Provincial Police Region 1, revealed after interrogating Theerapong that he could be charged with committing a public offence but if a complaint was not filed with police the case could be commuted because of the homeless man's mental disorders.

Sanit said Theerapong had wandered around Lat Pharo for several years drinking alcohol and sometimes becoming aggressive towards passers-by.

He said police did not believe the things Theerapong said due to his mental state, which had resulted in mental health stints at Srithanya and Maesuai hospitals.

"Families or relatives should not let people with mental disorders live alone," he added

Dr Panpimol Wipulakorn, deputy director of Department of Mental Health, said Theerapong moved to Bangkok looking for work and was treated for his mental illness at Srithanya Hospital this year.

She said people with mental disorders tend to dread people and people who got close to them could be considered a threat and attacked.

Sittipho Dhurajong, the project manager of Mirror Foundation's Human on Street project, said people with mental disorders could generally be divided into two categories - the solitary and the aggressive.

Sittipho said the aggressive group could be identified by their "angry eyes", walking at people or their aggressive swagger.

People in this group could not control their temper, Sittipho said, adding that the best way to respond to them was to stay out of their way, let them pass, and don't look in their eyes.

But Sittipho said people with mental disorders should not be considered maniacs (khon ba) because of their sad situation.

People confronted by such a person should contact police or the Mirror Foundation via its Facebook page.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-17

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Theerapong moved to Bangkok looking for work'

There is a rumor that he's thinking about applying for a job at the white room club in Phuket as a bouncer. blink.png

'But Sittipho said people with mental disorders should not be considered maniacs (khon ba) because of their sad situation'

so this guy is fine, he's no nut case or maniac ........... he just likes attacking people in the street !! nothing wrong with that, normal ...w00t.gif

"She said people with mental disorders tend to dread people and people who got close to them could be considered a threat and attacked."

"Families or relatives should not let people with mental disorders live alone," he added

Should they live with elderly parents, or siblings with kiddies? Fun for the whole family.

If they are aggressive towards other people lock em up and throw away the key!

How wonderfully humane. What a great suggestion! No treatment then in your proposal?

The attacker showed very little humanity, and the severity of his behaviour leads me to believe he should be placed in a position where he can never do this again. I go with BSJ.

Sittipho said the aggressive group could be identified by their "angry eyes"

Well thanks for that medical opinion - I'll remember it next time I'm walking in Bangkok.

Yes indeed, what a load of dribble coming from this doctor.....sweeping statements like... "She said people with mental disorders tend to dread people and people who got close to them could be considered a threat and attacked"

So, people with mental disorders tend to "dread people".....utter rubbish. On average I would consider them among the gentlest, most innocent people in the world.

On the odd occasion I have met a person that I have felt really bad "vibes" coming from and I would avoid them like a plague in the future....but that is a horse of a different color from when we talk about "mental illness" in general terms.

Edited by dotpoom

'Theerapong moved to Bangkok looking for work'

There is a rumor that he's thinking about applying for a job at the white room club in Phuket as a bouncer. blink.png

'But Sittipho said people with mental disorders should not be considered maniacs (khon ba) because of their sad situation'

so this guy is fine, he's no nut case or maniac ........... he just likes attacking people in the street !! nothing wrong with that, normal ...w00t.gif

People with mental disorders have many varieties, the sad thing is that in most countries NZ as an example, closed all it's mental hospitals sold them to their political mates and turned them into private universities.

There was a wonderful mental health operation before this happened.

Drug companies clapped their hands and doctors dished out prozac, haliperidol, and some drugs that required the patient to have a monthly injection which would knock a elephant over to supress sexual desire.

They now roam the streets , sleep under motorways and mug people.

Many people don't know clean and green NZ has one of the worst poverty/ health problems in the world.

I don't unfortunately see much difference in what happens to them here in LOS.

PS. It has been published the seretonin re-uptake inhibitors, like prozac cause suicide.

Your local DR will tell you not to believe everything you read before handing out a packet to a patient.

It's kind of telling re Thailand's lack of meaningful mental health services for its own citizens that through the entire article, nobody is talking about having the guy committed for a mental health evaluation to determine whether he should be committed for treatment.

Instead, we get stuff about how the police aren't inclined to pursue criminal charges if there's no complaint by the victim, and the mental health dr. advising that mentally ill people should not be allowed to live alone. Well, gee, THANKS for those sterling contributions.

If this guy poses a danger to himself and/or others, as would appear to be the case based on his recent violence, then he should be confined for treatment vs. being thrown in jail.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I honestly think the RTP are absolutely lost

You cant charge a man cause no report are completely dumb or just act it ?

its captured on national and international video

If I cave someones haed in and I are falang and its on video I get charged SURE.... He needs be seriously charged for attempted murder

He is a dnager to the public and can esculate to worse outcomes

Grow up

the best way to respond would be beat the shit out of him. and I don't care if he is sick or not. if he is on the street and attacking - I have a right to respond.

this is what happens when a country does not have proper government psychiatric hospitals. this person should be isolated, immobilized and treated with anti-psychotic drugs.

sad but true

Edited by TimmyT

I guess all the experts failed to read he has been receiving treatments. It is also the responsibility of the caregiver to insure that the mentally ill person is not a threat to himself or the general public before released. He should be re-evaluate and put on medication or his present prescription changed and receive counseling.

The suspect, 32, has tattoos across his body.
That must be the reason for his momentary lapse of reason blink.png
More like the state should not let people with mental disorders walk the streets clap2.gif

Sittipho Dhurajong, the project manager of Mirror Foundation's Human on Street project, said people with mental disorders could generally be divided into two categories - the solitary and the aggressive.
Sittipho said the aggressive group could be identified by their "angry eyes", walking at people or their aggressive swagger.
People in this group could not control their temper, Sittipho said, adding that the best way to respond to them was to stay out of their way, let them pass, and don't look in their eyes.
But Sittipho said people with mental disorders should not be considered maniacs (khon ba) because of their sad situation.
two categories eh? clap2.gifcheesy.gif Well, at least they have narrowed it down...
In conclusion, it was a great and informative article on the deranged and homeless in Thailand! clap2.gif