Bank book for extension

When you apply at immigration for extension based on retirement, what exactly does i/o looks for in the bank book? When the book shows the required amount is met, does he want to see the actual transactions made from overseas. If I brought the money in Thailand with me and open an account or if I made a withdrawl from the ATM and deposit regularly to meet that amount, wouldn't this be enough? The reason I am asking is that my bank in the US doesn't have electronic money transferring. If I need to do one, it involves some paper work and needs to be pre approved. That will be a big hassle to do that from Thailand. Thanks.

You do your extension solely on the 800k deposited in the account?

Do you have a regular income/pension in your homecountry?

Which office does your extension, where?

Knowing this helps to answer because members from different offices here have different experiences.

Some offices simply don't ask anything more than the bankbook.

Others are nitpicking and want to see how the money comes from abroad.

Its all about proof that you don't work/earn money in Thailand.

If at all they ask for "what do you live on?" then ATM withdrawl slips should be good enough.

Do copies of the slips as they deteriorate quickly and get unreadable.

If possible go early for the application (30 days) to find out if they want to see something extra (maybe account statements/withdrawls from your home country).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Proof that the funds came from abroad is not required to apply for an extension of stay.

Immigration will only check that the 800k baht minimum balance has been in the bank for 60 days if doing the first extension or 3 months after that.

• Like 1

On a related point, I have had repeated experiences of transactions recorded in my Bangkok Bank passbook being overwritten by subsequent transactions where the overwritten transactions had been inserted at a machine which at that time was in desperate need of a replacement ribbon. Is this a common problem and, if so, how do those relying on the 800k bank balance method of proving finances get along with Immigration at annual extension of stay time where transactions occurring during the critical seasoning period have been overwritten?

A hopefully academic point in my case as I prove my finances at annual extension of time on the basis of an Embassy letter confirming minimum 65k monthly income. But there have been reports on here on Immigration asking to see the passbook in conjunction with an Embassy letter - although, to date, I never have been by my local office.

Proof that the funds came from abroad is not required to apply for an extension of stay.

Immigration will only check that the 800k baht minimum balance has been in the bank for 60 days if doing the first extension or 3 months after that.

At Kap Choeng 800,000 in a fixed term account is not acceptable and they require a view of an ordinary account showing movement of money as well.

What do you mean 'showing movement of money'. I thought 800,000 Baht was enough to show for a retirement visa. So it must be in a saving account? The Immigration people seem to be coming down very hard on expats who are doing retirement visas at Kap Choeng. An expat in Surin told me you cannot be a day late for your 90 day thing or else you will be finded.

At bank even with bank letter day before they want to see an update in handbook ON THE DAY of application. Also proof funds came from abroad for extensions not required. Only required for initial non imm o

What do you mean 'showing movement of money'. I thought 800,000 Baht was enough to show for a retirement visa. So it must be in a saving account? The Immigration people seem to be coming down very hard on expats who are doing retirement visas at Kap Choeng. An expat in Surin told me you cannot be a day late for your 90 day thing or else you will be finded.

I've been doing my 'Retirement Extension' for a number of years at Kap Choeng. Before that at Korat. Over those years they've accepted 800,000 in a fixed term account. Now at Kap Choeng they won't accept just the 800,000 in a fixed term account. They want to know what you live on if your money is in a fixed account. Hence why they want to see an ordinary bank book as well.

I have had the same B800k in BKK for many years.

Term deposit - yearly rests.

No movement of $$$

Never been queried.

CNX I/O

I thought the requirement was that the account COULD be accessed for funds, possibly with just a financial penalty. Some fixed income deposits do not allow "early" withdrawal under any circumstances, which some immigrations offices would not accept.

Edited by Suradit69

Never had a problem. I keep a special account to meet visa requirements. I never had a need to access this particular account.

I have other time deposits with BKK Bank. Request an early withdrawal & a penalty will apply.

Don't know the calculation method (neither did the bank officer) but it is severe.

Knowing this helps to answer because members from different offices here have different experiences.

If at all they ask for "what do you live on?" then ATM withdrawl slips should be good enough.

If possible go early for the application (30 days) to find out if they want to see something extra (maybe account statements/withdrawls from your home country).

I am planning to use the combined method to apply for retirement extension. Yes I have income from social security benefits and pension which are directly deposited into my US bank account. Once in Thailand, I intend to withdraw from ATM and make deposit to an account here to meet that required fund. I guess I will do my extension at CW like most TV members are doing right? I don't think I can apply in Phiboun.

I am planning to use the combined method to apply for retirement extension. Yes I have income from social security benefits and pension which are directly deposited into my US bank account. Once in Thailand, I intend to withdraw from ATM and make deposit to an account here to meet that required fund. I guess I will do my extension at CW like most TV members are doing right? I don't think I can apply in Phiboun.

You should consider opening an account at Bangkok Bank. You could transfer your funds to your account via their New York branch as a domestic transfer. See: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx through ACH.

On a related point, I have had repeated experiences of transactions recorded in my Bangkok Bank passbook being overwritten by subsequent transactions where the overwritten transactions had been inserted at a machine which at that time was in desperate need of a replacement ribbon. Is this a common problem and, if so, how do those relying on the 800k bank balance method of proving finances get along with Immigration at annual extension of stay time where transactions occurring during the critical seasoning period have been overwritten?

A hopefully academic point in my case as I prove my finances at annual extension of time on the basis of an Embassy letter confirming minimum 65k monthly income. But there have been reports on here on Immigration asking to see the passbook in conjunction with an Embassy letter - although, to date, I never have been by my local office.

Sorry, i do not understand the pr0blem in your first point. Normaly the immi dos not look at the bank book. They do look at the writhen statement of the bank.

I applied for a retirement extension at Phibun a few weeks ago.

Had 800,000/ baht in a SCB account for about 6 months.

I had a multi non-O visa.

Was asked what I had been living on, as SCB account untouched.

Had to show another bank book, KTB, which I use to live on, money being transferred from UK.

If the OP is in Ubon, he should go down to Phibun and ask what they require.

That is what I did a few weeks before applying for the extension.

• Like 2

I applied for a retirement extension at Phibun a few weeks ago.

Had 800,000/ baht in a SCB account for about 6 months.

I had a multi non-O visa.

Was asked what I had been living on, as SCB account untouched.

Had to show another bank book, KTB, which I use to live on, money being transferred from UK.

If the OP is in Ubon, he should go down to Phibun and ask what they require.

That is what I did a few weeks before applying for the extension.

Hi. Yes I will be living in Ubon, actually 25km from there. I will fly in early November and get the visa exempt at entry. Later on when I am ready, I will go to Vientiane to get a Non O for retirement. Based on what you said above, I don't have to go to CW, Bangkok to apply for the retirement extension. I didn't know that it can be done in Phibun. This will be better without having to go to Bangkok.

You should consider opening an account at Bangkok Bank. You could transfer your funds to your account via their New York branch as a domestic transfer. See: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx through ACH.

Thank you for the info UbJ. My problem is doing the transferring from my bank to any other banks, including those in the US. As I said earlier, it can only be done through paperwork, not by electronic means. I can have Social Security benefits deposit directly to Bangkok bank as you said but I don't want to go that route, not yet this time.