passport almost full, best timing to get a new one?

Hello

I have 2 empty pages and a few pages with very little room for extra stamps.

im currently on a dual entry tourist visa, i still need to get a 30 day extension of first entry

I was wondering, when is it a good time to change passport.

Should i do it now before i activate my second entry, or wait until i'm back on my last entry

Cheers

Do it now. Some places won't let you even enter if you don't have over 2 blank pages in your passport.

what place do you know ? i have only 1 free page me

Where where you thinking of going.?

Most nearby countries use a full page sticker "visa" and a Thai visa also comes as a full page sticker.

ok, embassy told me about 2 weeks.

so if i goto emigration and get a 30 days extension, then after that order a new passport

and hopefully that passport arrives before i need to re-enter to activate my second entry

Thanks a lot for the advices

Personally I would do another trip and activate the last entry on your visa, that will give you plenty of time to renew if you do it straight away.

The reason I would do this is because from what I've read (and based on experience) it takes at least 4 weeks to get a new British passport, depending on where you're from this might not affect you.

So I would enter for 60 days and then apply for a renewal straight away.

If you get the E-Visa before going to Cambodia don't they just stamp the page and not insert a full page visa ? I think this might be the case but I never bothered with it before.

Edited by ukrules

If it is a US passport, it takes under a week.

They make the passports here.

I'm a warden for the US Consulate in Chiang Mai. That's a volunteer thing they do to get out information. We just covered this in a meeting a few weeks ago.

Until the end of this year, you can add pages to your old passport. After January 1, 2016, you'll have to get a whole new passport. Ask for the larger passport on your application, no extra charge. Here's a link to the current policy: http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service/additional-passport-pages.html

By the way, they don't make them here. Your application is emailed to DC, and the new passport is sent by courier back to Thailand. There are only two machines in the world that can print US passports. This is for security, to prevent counterfeiting.

Edited by LawrenceN
  • Like 2

ok, embassy told me about 2 weeks.

so if i goto emigration and get a 30 days extension, then after that order a new passport

and hopefully that passport arrives before i need to re-enter to activate my second entry

Thanks a lot for the advices

You could apply for your new passport and then get the extension in the old one. The old one still remains valid for immigration purposes within the country.

• Like 1

BULL

all us passports are issued at the dept of state in dc and have been for over 4 years

it takes about 2 weeks, got a new one in feb thru the outreach and it was ems'd to me in Phuket

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

BULL

all us passports are issued at the dept of state in dc and have been for over 4 years

it takes about 2 weeks, got a new one in feb thru the outreach and it was ems'd to me in Phuket

Richard,

I'm assuming they take your old passport and EMS that back to you with new? And, is two weeks about the standard?

BULL

Richard,

I'm assuming they take your old passport and EMS that back to you with new? And, is two weeks about the standard?

When you apply for your passport at the embassy and request that they EMS it to you they will keep your old passport.

If you choose to pick it up at the embassy they will give your old passport back to you.

Two weeks is what they tell you. About 10 days is the average time.

Info is here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/adult_passport_renew.html

Tell ya the truth i dont recall if they took the current one. I am travelling now so when back in phuket will look at old one and see how it was cancelled.

I did mine at the embassy 2 years and few months ago. They gave me back my passport then stamped it cancelled and punched holes in the cover when I picked up the new one.