No more Double Entry tourist visas?

I have been reading a lot of posts this evening about the new Multiple Entry tourist visa and how it will effect the old visas.

Basically, will the regular double entry visa be unavailable? Will a single entry still be okay? Specifically in neighbouring countries Laos,alaysia etc.

I don't see why double entry need finish but it all going be a learning step & no one going know until metv up & running and people actually test the water on tv availability.

rules & enforcement change constantly so you never know what can be had consistently.

The recent bombing will of played a big role in implementing changes no just abuse as they never had much of a problem with exempt or back to back tourists for last 2 decades or it would of been restricted or made more expensive to achieve long ago .

The only way the METV seems to make any sense is if the double-entry and triple-entry tourist visas are abolished at the same time.

I would disagree.

In first announcement the METV was hailed as the saviour of the struggling Tourism industry, now we start to see a trend that this visa is used to further restrict the freedom of travelers. If I see the requirements of some Embassies that people can only apply in their home country and have to proof xxx amount of money in bank and even need a job you will understand how far away this visa is from "promoting" tourism.

IMHO the Double Entry Tourist is a useful Visa and was easily available for most nationalities, hence it was a success.

Thai Embassies also need to generate income. How they want to generate income with METV and increase Tourism?

Good news and actions (scams,jet ski,double pricing,etc) would generate enough good reputation and many people will recommend travel to Thailand again.

I just hope for common sense to prevail.

I agree in part with this, however, as far as Thailand is concerned, the only tourists they want really are the ones who come here for two weeks and go home again.

What they don't want is people staying here long term on tourist visas.

The METV is for those who want to tour Thailand for a longer period - once.

For others, it's either single entry tourist visa of 30 day visa exempt.

If you look back over the visa news from immigration over the last two years, it has all been about closing doors to people who it thinks are abusing the system - visa runners, out/in runners and those on ED visa - all of which were used by many to stay here long term, and who will have no doubt spent plenty of money in Thailand.

I wouldn't hold your breath on common sense prevailing anytime soon.

I would also add that there isn't any other country in the world that would let you stay on a tourist visa if you were not a genuine tourist. Maybe there is an argument to say that Thailand's antiquated visa system is finally being brought in line with that of more developed countries.

"The METV is for those who want to tour Thailand for a longer period - once."

I would have thought the multiple entry aspect is meant to cater to people travelling in this region possibly using Thailand as a base for longer periods while visiting neighboring countries for shorter visits and returning to Thailand.

So someone could come to Thailand with the intention of staying for several months while being free to travel to Cambodia or Vietnam or China etc for short excursions and then returning to Thailand but not having to juggle the limitations of only two entries or having to get re-entry permits. Sounds suitable for a genuine tourist while reducing the misuse of tourist visas for those who just want to stay in Thailand for years on end.

The only way the METV seems to make any sense is if the double-entry and triple-entry tourist visas are abolished at the same time.

I would disagree.

In first announcement the METV was hailed as the saviour of the struggling Tourism industry, now we start to see a trend that this visa is used to further restrict the freedom of travelers. If I see the requirements of some Embassies that people can only apply in their home country and have to proof xxx amount of money in bank and even need a job you will understand how far away this visa is from "promoting" tourism.

IMHO the Double Entry Tourist is a useful Visa and was easily available for most nationalities, hence it was a success.

Thai Embassies also need to generate income. How they want to generate income with METV and increase Tourism?

Good news and actions (scams,jet ski,double pricing,etc) would generate enough good reputation and many people will recommend travel to Thailand again.

I just hope for common sense to prevail.

I agree in part with this, however, as far as Thailand is concerned, the only tourists they want really are the ones who come here for two weeks and go home again.

What they don't want is people staying here long term on tourist visas.

The METV is for those who want to tour Thailand for a longer period - once.

For others, it's either single entry tourist visa of 30 day visa exempt.

If you look back over the visa news from immigration over the last two years, it has all been about closing doors to people who it thinks are abusing the system - visa runners, out/in runners and those on ED visa - all of which were used by many to stay here long term, and who will have no doubt spent plenty of money in Thailand.

I wouldn't hold your breath on common sense prevailing anytime soon.

I would also add that there isn't any other country in the world that would let you stay on a tourist visa if you were not a genuine tourist. Maybe there is an argument to say that Thailand's antiquated visa system is finally being brought in line with that of more developed countries.

"The METV is for those who want to tour Thailand for a longer period - once."

I would have thought the multiple entry aspect is meant to cater to people travelling in this region possibly using Thailand as a base for longer periods while visiting neighboring countries for shorter visits and returning to Thailand.

So someone could come to Thailand with the intention of staying for several months while being free to travel to Cambodia or Vietnam or China etc for short excursions and then returning to Thailand but not having to juggle the limitations of only two entries or having to get re-entry permits. Sounds suitable for a genuine tourist while reducing the misuse of tourist visas for those who just want to stay in Thailand for years on end.

Most countries which Thailand want to attract get 30day visa waiver anyway and that can be extended, every time, by further 30days.

So far only people who use more than six entries face some questioning.

Something does not add up.

• Like 2

So far the embassies that have announced the new METV are keeping the single entry TR but not offering the double or triple TR's. IF Thailands true intention is to cut down on tourist visa abuse then I believe the double and triples will go everywhere. We will soon know!

I knew this would happen, no way they were going to crack hard-line on visa after visa and then funnel everyone to a METV that can be had overland in Asia, giving so many an alternative to the pricier 5-year one.

Writing is on the wall for under 50s not married, not working etc. Long-stay is over for a huge chunk of foreigners under 50.

Looks like someone finally reverse-engineered this sub-forum.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 2

I knew this would happen, no way they were going to crack hard-line on visa after visa and then funnel everyone to a METV that can be had overland in Asia, giving so many an alternative to the pricier 5-year one.

Writing is on the wall for under 50s not married, not working etc. Long-stay is over for a huge chunk of foreigners under 50.

Looks like someone finally reverse-engineered this sub-forum.

There were 11.5 million arrivals in 2005. This year it's heading for 28 million. I don't know the number of long stayers then and now but It's likely to have increased proportionally. There always had to be a time when Thailand would have to make it harder for long term stayers, and the group you mention would naturally be first to get cropped.

What we have so far is a few embassy websites stating their rules. Nothing new in that. Anybody familiar with getting visas knows that each one makes up their own rules.

There is still no changes shown on the Ministry of Foreign affairs website. When I see something there I will believe it is going to happen everywhere.

As of today there is no change on the Thai embassy in Tokyo website. No METV and 1, 2 & 3 entry tourist visas available .

Of course this isn't relevant to anyone who isn't resident here (or Japanese) and it could change tomorrow ;)

I have been coming to Thailand since January 2012. So far, I have been given a one 30 day visa exempt stamp; 1 single entry visa (stayed 3 months) and 3 triple entry visas (stayed a total of 9 months each time).

I obtained the 4 visas listed above from the Royal Thai Embassy (RTE) in London. I have never had a problem with Immigration in activating my first entry, on arrival at Bangkok airport; or in obtaining extensions from my local immigration office (Koh Samui); or in activating my second and third entries at Khuan Don on the Malaysian border.

I returned to the UK in mid June, this year, to enjoy the summer there for three months. In mid September, I applied in person at the RTE in London for another triple entry visa (my 4th). The Thai lady at the counter, who received and accepted my completed application form, started talking to me in broken English. She seemed to be saying that Immigration in Thailand would only allow me to stay 6 months; that I could extend the first entry of 60 days by a further 30 days as usual; and I could activate the second entry and extend it by another 30 days. However, Immigration would not allow me to activate the third entry on my visa; 6 months would be all I would be allowed. She made no mention of the METV.

I did not argue the point with her, as I was having trouble understanding what she was saying. I smiled and nodded, handed over the application form, the photos and cash of £75 for a triple entry (£25 per entry)

I returned the next morning. I was half expecting them, on the basis of what she had told me, to be granted only a double entry visa, and that they would hand back the £25 for the third entry which they had not granted. But no, there it was in my passport, a brand new sticker for a triple entry visa.

Nothing was said to me when I arrived at Bangkok airport. The officials were scrutinising the passports very closely, and asking questions and if they were not satisfied, calling over a supervisor. Two or three Farangs were taken to one side for further questioning. When I handed over my passport, there were no problems at all, and I got it back more or less straight away. I wasn't even asked how long I was intending to stay in the Kingdom.

I shall shortly be applying for my 30 day extension on my first entry at my local immigration office. My "border bounce" to activate the second entry will be in mid December.

According to the visa sticker in my passport I have to activate the third entry no later than 13th March 2016, which is the usual 6 month cut off point. By then, of course, the rules will be clearer about whether the METV replaces double and triple entries, or whether it will run along side the old system, as an alternative. The RTE London website has not yet been updated to give any information about METVs; it is still giving the fees for single, double and triple entries.

As we all know, the Embassies and Consulates are part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, whilst permission to enter, 30 day extensions and activation of the second and third entries are decisions, which continue to be made by a separate government department, Immigration. Just like in the UK, the phrase, "joined up government" is no more than a sound bite, and has no basis in reality.

I suspect that no firm decision has yet been made, and that, at least for the time being, the two systems will operate side by side. It may be, as others on ThaiVisa have pointed out, that those government officials who want the METV to replace double and triple entries have not yet taken into account the financial implications that such a decision may have for Embassies and Consulates, which rely on the visa fees to supplement their running costs.

• Like 1

Totally agree with you and it will be the happiest day of my life to see them ALL gone. They have two things in mind cheap booze and bar girls. They can care less about the Thais nor their culture as with the majority of the Full Moon Party idiots. They need to GO!

About time they started looking at the visa situation. Thailand has been very accommodating for a long time, but we all know that people have been abusing the system.maybe the bar stool lay abouts who constantly slate the very land who have let them stay will find it hard to abuse it anymore. I for one will be happy if all them sad mother f...... find it hard to stay. Sorry but only speaking how I see it.

Yes that Toffee Bar and Farang corner is a real blight on the splendid backdrop that is Phetchabun.

I'm hearing ya.

I posted yesterday about this.

It seems the consensus is that there will be no double entry tourist visas once this new multiple entry tourist visa (METV) comes in. From what people were saying yesterday, looks like you can only apply for the METV in your home country.

And you will only be able to apply for single entry tourist visas in neighboring countries to Thailand.

Seems to be they don't want people to use the METV to stay in Thailand long term, when they aren't really tourists.

"I posted yesterday about this."

Did you really think a bit of information yesterday would be digested and not regurgitated THE VERY NEXT DAY as if it was entirely new information causing an identical panic thread strewn with mindless speculation?

"Its like dejavu all over again."- Yogi Berra

From the Los Angeles Thai Embassy: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=78

Thailand launches the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) scheme

On 28 July 2015, the Thai Government launched the “Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV)” scheme. This new scheme, published in the Royal Gazette on 14 September 2015, is an addition to the already existing sixty (60) days tourist visa, and will be effective from 13 November 2015 onwards.

The METV is available to tourists of all nationalities. Applicants can apply for the METV at all Thai Embassies, Consulates-General as well as Honorary Consulates worldwide. The application fee is 5,000 THB, with a visa validity of six (6) months and the duration of stay of up to sixty (60) days per visit.

The METV is hoped to boost Thailand’s tourism industry, bring increased revenue into the country and help prepare Thailand for the ASEAN Community.

Visa and Travel Documents Division

Department of Consular Affairs

September 2015

well, according this, you can get the METV is all countries...not just your country of residence.

like this everything in thailand, nothing is every official, concrete or straight-forward.

From the Los Angeles Thai Embassy: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=78

Thailand launches the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) scheme

On 28 July 2015, the Thai Government launched the “Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV)” scheme. This new scheme, published in the Royal Gazette on 14 September 2015, is an addition to the already existing sixty (60) days tourist visa, and will be effective from 13 November 2015 onwards.

The METV is available to tourists of all nationalities. Applicants can apply for the METV at all Thai Embassies, Consulates-General as well as Honorary Consulates worldwide. The application fee is 5,000 THB, with a visa validity of six (6) months and the duration of stay of up to sixty (60) days per visit.

The METV is hoped to boost Thailand’s tourism industry, bring increased revenue into the country and help prepare Thailand for the ASEAN Community.

Visa and Travel Documents Division

Department of Consular Affairs

September 2015

It doesn't say that. It simply says it's available to all nationalities and that it's available from all embassies/consulates worldwide.

• Like 2

i'm thinking you can still get the double entry visa in places like hanoi, laos, and triple in bali..... however, instead of 1000 baht per entry, the visa will now be 5000b

If you read the announcement it says that the METV is in addition to the existing 60 day tourist visa. Not visas. That would suggest to me the existing single entry tourist visa!

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

i'm thinking you can still get the double entry visa in places like hanoi, laos, and triple in bali..... however, instead of 1000 baht per entry, the visa will now be 5000b

If you read the announcement it says that the METV is in addition to the existing 60 day tourist visa. Not visas. That would suggest to me the existing single entry tourist visa!

Don't read too much into this; they says that all nationalities could apply anywhere "in all embassies" which is not true (not in Cambodia, not in Singapore,etc)

Edited by Kitsune

Don't read too much into this; they says that all nationalities could apply anywhere "in all embassies" which is not true (not in Cambodia, not in Singapore,etc)

Technically that is true, one "just" needs to be a resident of that country. E.g. now as before an Europen citizen needs to be a legally resident of Italy to apply in Italy. And as the title states, no more double and triple entry visa are issued anymore.

It only remains to be seen what the few western countries (Australia, UK and USA) that issued double and triple entry tourist visa to non-residents will do.

I'm not sure about the true intentions of the Thai gov.t when the approved this type of visa. But I see already that the consulates will now issue more single-entry tourist visa, because most people won't qualify for the multiple.