Why is Thailand still successful as tourist destination?

Crazy chef 1

If I read our beloved forum on a daily base I get the impression there are not many good things left here in Thailand but I don't wanna repeat them.

Due that I deal daily with plenty tourists( job wise) 90 +% are absolute in love with the place and have nothing much than praise for it.even if I work currently in Phuket guests still see the place as cheap,safe and exotic...

Though what do you think is the secret behind Thailand as a successful tourist destination?

My two cents later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often wondered the same thing over the years. Thailand has changed so much since I started living here but it continues to attract visitors in droves and retirees are still flooding in. Most of the people I meet are not here for the sex either.

Edited by villagefarang

Good thread.

I can think of one thing only. A 3 letter word! S.X! No, the missing letter is not an "i".

Don't think so...most visitors at the moment are families and I doubt papa is sneaking out during the night...

I happen to know one elderly guy living here most of the year with his wife and son, who actually does this . Sometimes 2 or 3 times a week for "short time" excursions. So YES Pappa is still doing it !

Most of my hotel guests here in Phuket are Chinese, often on their very first holiday outside of the motherland.

Apart from the high price of local taxis, they all seem very happy about the island.

- They have nothing but praise for the friendly local Thais

- They love the beautiful beaches (maybe because they just do a few quick photos and are not aware that the seawater is often polluted).

- They like non-spicy Thai food, and are happy that more and more restaurants offer Chinese food

- The men seem happy that cheap local cigarettes are available

- The sex/gogo scene isn't on their calendar, apart from perhaps gawking at the ladyboys in Soi Bangla

Let's face it. If you lived in polluted Shanghai and you could fly due south for 4 hours on a cheap charter flight and end up on a hot island with clean air, you'd also be pretty happy.

Oh, I forgot to add that they love the old-fashioned service that only an upper-crust, eccentric Brit such as I can provide.. coffee1.gif

Edited by simon43

Some young people I have met continue to find Thailand exotic and fascinating while still being able to feed their modern needs for technology and convenience. It is an accessible fantasy perhaps for those who don’t want to go all in and travel to somewhere really remote.

The Chinese also like to visit Thailand because of the successful comedy movie 'Lost in Thailand', where some Chinese tourists visit Thailand to complete a set of 'must do' tasks, such as:

- See Patong and Maya beach

- Ride an elephant

- See a ladyboy

(or maybe that should be 'ride a ladyboy' and 'see an elephant' - I can't remember cheesy.gif )

- Eat at least one spicy Thai meal

etc etc

Many Chinese want to in their footsteps.

The movie is in Chinese, and I would liek to see a complete list of the tasks/must-do's if anyone knows these.

Travel agencies and newspapers in Australia are loaded with glossy advertisements for Thailand package deals that appear cheap and safe for young travelers. You would still be surprised the number of people who have never been there.

Just thought of a couple of additional factors. The world population has probably doubled since I first came to Thailand and the number of people traveling has no doubt grown even more than that. I arrived with almost no knowledge of Thailand whereas today it is hard to find someone who hasn’t been exposed to Thailand through news, internet or social media. It is much more visible to many more people than it was in the past.

Edited by villagefarang

I have often wondered the same thing over the years. Thailand has changed so much since I started living here but it continues to attract visitors in droves and retirees are still flooding in. Most of the people I meet are not here for the sex either.

We see Thailand changing because we are here.....

Most other places are also changing faster - and not for the better so there is still that good feel/vibe gap.....

Most everyone I talk to upon returning from "home" have negative reports on how "home" has changed for the worse/worser every trip.....A few have flatly said they're not going back......

So comparatively speaking for many reasons Thailand is an appealing place for exotic travel and experiences......

The sex thing not so much as some would have us believe - even among the young guys I know.....But there are people here for that too and they are vocal and adamant about voicing/normalizing/sensationalizing their "lifestyle"......Read an article a awhile ago about the 10 biggest places in the world for/with prostitution trade and Thailand was not in the mix......It is a huge industry nevertheless and the focal point for the monger group of visitors....

3 reasons why tourism was booming a decade ago

1) the myths

Ten years ago, you didnt have internet, and everybody believed that thai were honest, budhist and peaceful people.

They believed this country was exotic, cheap and safe.

2)the repeated tourists

Ten years ago, a tourist would come, then come back again 6 months later, and then come again and again ....for thai women.

I read that 40% were repeated tourist.

3)Qatar, Emirates and Etihad

Till today you can get a cheap airlines from Europe. Its cheaper to fly to Bkk than to any part of the world.

Without the gulf company, you wouldnt have any low budget here.

3 reasons why tourist is walking away

1) internet

Internet is slowly but surely killing thai tourism. Every time you read news about this country, its always about murder, rape, or tourist beheaded.

Internet is the worst ambassador, the myths is fading away as more and more people are aware about the true nature of thai people.

2)the repeated sex-tourist are gone.

Now the whore are 40 yo, fat and ugly, and they charge premium price.

3) this country is no more a novelty. Except the (over rated) beach, i can not imagine why people still come here.

What you have left is mostly Chinese/Russian and Indian tourists.... they still dont know.

Yes; the days of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll are gone forever.

Thailand is now catering to higher-end tourism.

Will check my income and budget and perhaps go somewhere else but most places with a reasonable cost of living come with a high crime rate.

Not too interested in Cambodia or Viet Nam and, at my age, need to refill blood pressure and diabetes medicine every month.

So, alternatives are scarce and I don't like The Philippines.

My father used to tell me that the party always ends.

My mother always told me that "I will have a sad awakening".

The popular saying now is: "Game Over".

Thanks for creating this posting; I look forward to YOUR answer.

Many think if something goes wrong they will be treated fairly and honestly just like back home............basically they havent got a clue that a life here is almost worthless and when Somchai runs over and kills you or your family bugger all will likely happen or you will receive a derisory sum for your loss.

There will be lots of lip talk and nothing more.

They also think the Police actually Police, that all Thais are happy and smiling therefore must be jolly good sorts.

I haven't been to Pattaya for a few years now, I went to see Nong Nooch gardens and always had a walk down walking street just for entertainment value really, I was there two days ago stayed at Nong Nooch resort went down the beach at about 7 pm and the amount of RATS on the beach was just staggering it was only beaten by the amount of flag waving Chinese tourists, in fact you couldnt move for them down walking street.

My Wife asked a few stallholders who said it was very quiet this year.

Too be honest its that beach with some people still splashing in the water surrounded by possibly thousands of rats which surprised me the most.

Pattayas Mayor or whomever runs it should be ashamed of the place.

Ok here my two cents...

Thailand has changed but in a positive way for tourists:

Better availability of western food

Better infrastructure

Modern shopping malls a mix between the mystique old Thailand and a contemporary world...

Despite the Internet there is not much news about Thailand neither negative nor positive and those few negative news are compared to the rest of the world still insignificant...

It is still comparable cheap to EU,Australia,NZ or even USA...

Most tourists don't even realise if they get scammed except the few jet ski or agogo victims...

Where else can you travel and be still comparable safe?

Africa- good luck

South America- good luck

Caribbean- even more luck

Europe- a real rip off( France,Italy,U.K.,Switzerland,Germany,Austria and so on)

Can't comment about NZ or OZ because I never have been there and know FA about it but I think an average 24 h flight is turning many people off...

Though the only alternative is SE Asia and imho Thailand ranks still amongst the top as tourist destination...

And I call it home...but this is just a reason for very few ppl such as my mum and friends....

Sorry forgot to add some comments from my guests:

Beautiful people

Fantastic food

Amazing weather

Dream beaches

Extremely cheap

Great night life...

The comments above are made by guests I spoke to and not my point of view( disclaimer)....

Sometimes is less knowledge a bliss...and before I joined this forum and worked with locals my view has been similar( except the food)...

Edited by Crazy chef 1

Thai social norms dictate that strangers are treated very nicely. Westerners interpret a unfounded genuineness to this that actually isn't there, but the delusion can be maintained for long enough to enjoy a holiday.

Edited by BudRight

How do you genuinely like a stranger?

The fact that Thai people are friendly and treat visitors well is indeed an attractive feature of the country. At least to everyone but needy folk who want strangers to love them for who they are.

But that's just it Biker. The Thai conception of ingroup/outgroup is racial - all non-Thais are out-group. You might become familiar, but you are never accepted as a local (You are a guest in this country?). Even if one develops close Thai friends, the legal and social systems remain exclusionary. Even "farang" who are raised in Thailand have this problem.

Edited by BudRight