Bangkok bombing suspects won't be tried for terrorism

webfact

So it's denial to the bitter end ?

Almost every other country in the world would be throwing terrorism related charges around but LoS doesn't want to lose face by admitting such things could happen here unless it suits the agenda of the day.

EXACTLY. I'm certain they've been ordered by higher powers not to levy terrorism charges due to economic reasons only. They're afraid some companies may opt not to invest here and that tourists may avoid Thailand, which should not come into the thought process. Just when i thought Thailand coudn't get more bizarre.

Yes Terrorism in Thailand , I should cocoa. They have done it to come off of the travellers warning list I would assume and keep face about the Uighers illegal deprotation. I also think this will end in a farce like the murdered Brits trial. Trumped up charge or at least inappropriate and mass confusion in the court room , claim and counter claim

If they truly believe these are the guys, then terrorism is going to be easier to prove than pre-meditated murder.

A bomb in a public place IS terrorism.

A bomb placed randomly may not kill anyone (like the one off the bridge) and so would be hard to prove they intended to kill.

Right from the start I have had my doubts that the BIB have the right guys. This news doesn't alter my view. It's as if they are being charged with something that the BIB expect to lose.

Given skepticism, curious what differences in penalties and burdens of proof to charges are in order for dead men telling no tales.

Is there a higher level of legal proof required to convict of terrorism and perhaps they aren't as confident of a conviction then? If that's the case, such a charge would be a political risk, charging and failing to convict.

I'm trying to be charitable and not jump to a final conclusion yet as to WHY the lack of a terror charge. It still looks like quacks like a duck situation about national face, of course.

Edited by Jingthing

If they truly believe these are the guys, then terrorism is going to be easier to prove than pre-meditated murder.

A bomb placed randomly may not kill anyone (like the one off the bridge) and so would be hard to prove they intended to kill.

Right from the start I have had my doubts that the BIB have the right guys. This news doesn't alter my view. It's as if they are being charged with something that the BIB expect to lose.

I don't think you understand the reason why these alleged bombers aren't being charged with terrorism. If this crime had been committed in Europe or USA they would be charged with terrorism. The difference here in Thailand is that the Goverment doesn't want potential foreign visitors/touists to think there is a terrorism risk, So, even though the rest of the civilised world knows it was an act of terrorism, it wasn't really, because the Thai government says it wasn't!

I don't think you understand the reason why these alleged bombers aren't being charged with terrorism. If this crime had been committed in Europe or USA they would be charged with terrorism. The difference here in Thailand is that the Goverment doesn't want potential foreign visitors/touists to think there is a terrorism risk, So, even though the rest of the civilised world knows it was an act of terrorism, it wasn't really, because the Thai government says it wasn't!

These, of course, would be the tourists who don't read the news.

The overseas image thing does not hold up as the reason. The horse has left the barn on that - there was a bomb, lots of people died. Nobody cares under what legal jurisdiction the perps are being tried. There must be another reason. Could it be the burden of proof is a bigger hurdle under charges of terrorism or perhaps there are details that the government would rather not have public (which would come out under charges of terrorism). Who knows but I am sure that there is method in their madness as it's such a deliberate move.

I also wonder what has happened to all of the other mischief makers. It's gone completely silent. Are they being charged and with what?

You'll hear more about the rest of the 'mischief makers', only when there's more reward money to be claimed and publicised.

Can anyone suggest any reason they are not charging for terrorism other than international PR / tourism protection industry motivations? It's not as if I understand Thai law. Maybe there is another reason. It doesn't seem so. Just asking.

One of them being Chinese citizen.

Nobody wants to associate such a nice country with terrorism.

Not true.

We had 2 cases of terrorism in Sweden.

Killing of foreign minister Anna Lindh.

And a suicide-bomber in the Christmas rush hour in central Stockholm.

2 clear acts of terrorism not defined as that by Swedish government , prosecuted as murder and damage.

Because they are afraid if classified as terrorism it would further increase the tension against those people / religions etc.

Is there a class at BKK that i keep missing? You know the one that teaches obsessive compulsive disorder. There seems to a sub topic called Tooris Bart or something.

I think the examination at the end of this course can only be passed if you demonstrate a learning curve that slopes upwards rather than down.

Otherwise how does anyone explain the mass idiocy shown in this thread?