Skimmers blamed for money theft from Pattaya Bank Account

webfact

Skimmers blamed for money theft from Pattaya Bank Account

money-2.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya Police have blamed skimmers for stealing 35,000 Baht from the bank account of an operating room technician who works at the Pattaya City Hospital in Soi Buakhao.

Khun Supawini aged 38 reported the theft of money from her Krung Thai Bank account at Pattaya Police Station on Monday Morning and explained that she was preparing to go for a short break to Bangkok and when she went to an ATM to withdraw money to use during her stay in the Capital, she saw that there was only 2,000 Baht left in her account instead of 37,000 Baht she had saved for the trip.

The victim had already conducted part of the investigation into the case herself and it was determined the money was withdrawn from a Bank of Ayutthaya ATM in three lots of 10,000 Baht and 1 withdrawal of 5,000 Baht, all in the space of a few hours.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/218608/skimmers-blamed-for-money-theft-from-pattaya-bank-account/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-10-20

The Thai press gives up the name of the victim and her employer by name as well as her job and the bank. What in the world was the Thai press thinking when they published these details? The victim should sue the Thai newspaper, Krung Thai bank, Bank Autthaya, and the police in that jurisdiction.

Bangkok Bank ATM cards have chips that make them harder to skim.

(Also means cards only work mostly in their machines).

Banks also offer an SMS service which informs you of any activity on the account. (10 baht/month I pay).

You can also set a daily maximum withdrawal limit.

Too late for this lady but nobody reading this has excuses now.

Edited by jacko45k

I keep 2 accounts, one with an ATM card I carry in my wallet for cash, the other which I recieve my salary in and transfer to the other account. I normally transfer 50,000 at a time so if it does got robbed, I keep my losses to a minimum.

Edited by sungod

Banks also offer an SMS service which informs you of any activity on the account. (10 baht/month I pay).

All my Thai banks do this, or something similar. Of course you have to remember to use the features.

I keep 2 accounts, one with an ATM card I carry in my wallet for cash, the other which I recieve my salary in and transfer to the other account. I normally transfer 50,000 at a time so if it does got robbed, I keep my losses to a minimum.

Yes, I do the same. Big money stays in an account with no card.

If someone picks up your card, they can go crazy. I have NEVER had my signature on a store docket checked against the card. There is no protection at all.

So, like many others, I keep a bare minimum in my card account.

Wow, that sounds like a good idea... I should try this.. Ehhh, what was your pin number again..???

The SMS service doesn't guarantee anything in Thailand.

I went to the bank with a friend of mine who had 20k baht ripped out of her account and there was no SMS for the transaction but the bank still wouldn't do anything about it.

Maybe she is one of those Thai's that does not know

where 3/4 of their income goes to,and she just spent

the money and forgot about it.

regards worgeordie

Sound's like you did not read the story,

Either that or you misunderstood what was written.

From what I read and understood the lady was right on the ball carrying out her own investigation which with the valuable information obtained was able to pass this onto the police.

Not to forget, she was well aware of the amount that was suppose to be in her account.

Edited by Kangaloo

The Thai press gives up the name of the victim and her employer by name as well as her job and the bank. What in the world was the Thai press thinking when they published these details? The victim should sue the Thai newspaper, Krung Thai bank, Bank Autthaya, and the police in that jurisdiction.

Why in the world would she do that and for what? It's very unlikely that she wasn't aware that she was being photographed by a newspaper photographer.

The SMS service doesn't guarantee anything in Thailand.

I went to the bank with a friend of mine who had 20k baht ripped out of her account and there was no SMS for the transaction but the bank still wouldn't do anything about it.

Well they should at least investigate it, did she get a police report?

I get an SMS before I have had a chance to get my card back from the machine!

(Perhaps because I always withdraw at a local bank ATM????)

As far as I know Thai banks usually try to avoid any responsibility for any loss, even when caused by their own staff, and will always try and wriggle out of doing anything to help.

Typical Thai work ethic there, I think: cover your ass and do nothing.

If someone picks up your card, they can go crazy. I have NEVER had my signature on a store docket checked against the card. There is no protection at all.

I have been shopping at Friendship Market for 4 years, and they compare my signature with the card every time. At Big C, since I carry their card, they do not need to verify who I am, because I gave them all of my information when I signed up for the card.

I have been shopping at Friendship Market for 4 years, and they compare my signature with the card every time. At Big C, since I carry their card, they do not need to verify who I am, because I gave them all of my information when I signed up for the card.

Yes, that's a good point.

Maybe she is one of those Thai's that does not know

where 3/4 of their income goes to,and she just spent

the money and forgot about it.

regards worgeordie

She actually looks like a responsible person.

Yes although it appears she has a lackadaisical attitude to monitoring and limiting her bank account.