Imminently moving to Thailand, looking for a little local advice (Jomtien).

Smudge

It's been a year since I last posted on here with regards to early retirement and visa options. Having mulled over those options for quite some time now I have decided to bite the bullet and apply for the Thai Elite card.

Providing all goes to plan I intend to stay in the Jomtien Area.

Anyhoo, the info I am after is as follows:

I'm looking for any recommendations on long term accommodation (1+ years). Been browsing for hours/days and there appears to be an endless supply of long term accommodation. Talay residences seems to pop up more often than not and for all intents and purposes they look fine. However I am not keen to commit unless I see these places and their surroundings first hand.

Essentially I would be looking for a condo in a relatively quiet (where you can get a peaceful nights sleep), secure location with a gym either on site or near by. Air con + ceiling fans is a must.

I'm looking in the range of 10,000 - 18,000 pcm for accomm.

Health insurance. Any recommendations? Not looking for executive service, just something to cover me or reduce any potential astronomical bills in the future during my stay.

I'll understand if it is not acceptable to make recommendations on these boards as it could be seen as free advertisement. If that is the case just throw it at me in a PM, I'll buy you a beer when I get there!!

Counting the days away!

Cheers!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best advise any one could or should give you is to make a short list of places go inspect

those places that look and sound good and go inspect them with your own eyes rather that to

relay on someone's else opinion, as you have the time and the means to do so,

As for the Elite card, some will recommend and some will not, the over all sentiments

will be that it is a waist of money.... unless that card will provide you with amenities

that nothing else will.....

Why does anyone need a ceiling fan if they have good airconditioning? I have noticed in some Pattaya guesthouses that ceiling fans are used because

the owners have fixed the AC so that very little air comes out, presumably to save on their electricity bills.

Condos to rent galore!

I have a pal who is losing money on his condo as he struggles to rent it.

More are being built too.

Live somewhere temporary first and look at places with the longer term prospects.

Health Insurance, try a broker like AA, or attend one of the Expats Clubs where they have reasonably priced group plans available.

Condos to rent galore!

I have a pal who is losing money on his condo as he struggles to rent it.

More are being built too.

Live somewhere temporary first and look at places with the longer term prospects.

Health Insurance, try a broker like AA, or attend one of the Expats Clubs where they have reasonably priced group plans available.

Excellent advice, especially the part about temporary accommodations, and then looking for your best long-term option.

Possum: ceiling fans get the air moving, sometimes reducing or eliminating the need for aircon. A good alternative, especially at the beach...

Condo: get yourself a one month rent in any place, come here and look around yourself, that is the best way to find a place you would want to stay for long

Health: really depends what you need, but suggest to go to a broker for options, can personally recommend AA brokers next to Big C on Sukhumvit.

Edited by Swiss1960

I've lived in View Talay 2 for 10 years now and it's a great location. I'm not sure where the nearest gym is though. View Talay 1, 5 & 7 and View Talay Residences are all nearby though the Residences are on Jomtien 2nd Road so not on a regular baht bus route. Many condos available for rent and you'll have no problem finding a studio within your price range. All condos should have aircon, though some of them may be quite old. There should also be ceiling fans, which cost considerably less to run all the time than aircon.

There are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby and it's only 10 baht if you want to head into Pattaya.

Alan

I'm not sure there would be too many people renting a 10,000 Baht a month condo with a Thai Elite visa!!!!

Not sure what the connection is there.

I just rented a studio in view talay for 8500 bht for one month while renting out my bangkok place . it was easy getting the price down even in high season. I can recommend the condos they in quite area and you can get everything you need in the dozen or shops, resteraunts and dry cleaners.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

As for the Elite card, some will recommend and some will not, the over all sentiments

will be that it is a waist of money

I can always make more money. I can't make more time.

The Elite Card saves me from the various hassles of a longtime stay in Thailand, and the time wasted because of those hassles - especially as I'm under 50.

In fact, once I'm 50, I may just go ahead with the Elite Card so I don't have to dork around with all the red tape and hassle associated with a retirement visa.

It's so good just to be able to enter and exit Thailand as I like, without endless interrogations and reams of paperwork. I'm very rarely in Thailand for 90 days or more at a time; but when I am, I get a courier service to take my passport to the Thailand Elite office, they take care of the reporting for me, and the courier service brings it back once the reporting is tabulated.

If your finances permit, I'd recommend looking into it. If they don't permit, I'd question why you think it's a good idea to live in Thailand in the first place. Without some degree of insulation from the general hassle, there's no way I could take staying in Thailand for any extended period of time. It just isn't worth it, life's too short.

And I just don't understand why anyone would want to live in Pattaya, under any circumstances. If I were told I'd have to spend just a week there or never come back to Thailand again, I'd walk away from Thailand in a heartbeat.

Edited by disambiguated

I'm not sure there would be too many people renting a 10,000 Baht a month condo with a Thai Elite visa!!!!

Not sure what the connection is there.

I just rented a studio in view talay for 8500 bht for one month while renting out my bangkok place . it was easy getting the price down even in high season. I can recommend the condos they in quite area and you can get everything you need in the dozen or so shops, resteraunts and dry cleaners.

I've lived in View Talay 2 for 10 years now and it's a great location. I'm not sure where the nearest gym is though. View Talay 1, 5 & 7 and View Talay Residences are all nearby though the Residences are on Jomtien 2nd Road so not on a regular baht bus route.

I think there is a Tony's Gym just at the back of the Hanuman statue, very near the tax office. Easy walking distance from any of the condo buildings round there, from VT7 and VT5 to the various VT residences near Rompho market/bar zone, though those latter ones can be noisy at times.

Worth pointing out that the low-rise VT residences are quite different to the much taller VT buildings.

Why does anyone need a ceiling fan if they have good airconditioning? I have noticed in some Pattaya guesthouses that ceiling fans are used because

the owners have fixed the AC so that very little air comes out, presumably to save on their electricity bills.

I use two ceiling fans and aircon 24/7, all on the lowest fan setting. This allows for gentle air movement everywhere in my unit (I hate sitting in a wind tunnel) and for a very even temperature everywhere also and no fan noise. Aircon is set to 27/28 degrees, which is just right for reducing humidity without growing any glaciers. Electricity consumption is low with a new inverter unit.

The Elite Card saves me from the various hassles of a longtime stay in Thailand, and the time wasted because of those hassles - especially as I'm under 50.

In fact, once I'm 50, I may just go ahead with the Elite Card so I don't have to dork around with all the red tape and hassle associated with a retirement visa.

It's so good just to be able to enter and exit Thailand as I like, without endless interrogations and reams of paperwork.

The Elite Card is certainly an option for those under 50 and who dont mind spending the money.

But a Thai retirement extension (not a retirement visa) must be one of the easiest long-stay options anywhere. It could not be simpler and, in Jomtien at least, takes just a half-hour to arrange with little paperwork and at a cost of under 6000B for unlimited entries/exits with no further paperwork for an entire year (apart from the usual 90-day report which is also very easy and quick in Jomtien, and can even be done online).

Its simplicity is one of the reasons I live in Thailand.

I advise the OP to rent something basic for a month or two on arrival whilst he looks around for something better for long-term. Watch out for overpriced electricity scams and negotiate hard always.

I previously rented a very nice large condo for just 11,500B/month paid yearly, and it was vastly better than the sort of place one would normally get for 12-15,000B/month as a walk-in paying weekly or monthly.

Indeed, a savvy investor should be able to negotiate the rent down to 8k per month on one of these overpriced 10k units....pay a year up front and even lower...

Indeed, a savvy investor should be able to negotiate the rent down to 8k per month on one of these overpriced 10k units....pay a year up front and even lower...

Yes quite, I'm not sure the equivalent of Nirun Condo is in Jomtien, but I'm sure the shoebox brigade will have many choices for you and your Thai elite visa

It's so good just to be able to enter and exit Thailand as I like, without endless interrogations and reams of paperwork. I'm very rarely in Thailand for 90 days or more at a time; but when I am, I get a courier service to take my passport to the Thailand Elite office, they take care of the reporting for me, and the courier service brings it back once the reporting is tabulated.

If your finances permit, I'd recommend looking into it. If they don't permit, I'd question why you think it's a good idea to live in Thailand in the first place. Without some degree of insulation from the general hassle, there's no way I could take staying in Thailand for any extended period of time. It just isn't worth it, life's too short.

And I just don't understand why anyone would want to live in Pattaya, under any circumstances. If I were told I'd have to spend just a week there or never come back to Thailand again, I'd walk away from Thailand in a heartbeat.

Not just Pattaya .anywhere in Thailand generally. The clue must come in the never ending empty condos up for rent /sale,houses too. Thailand has changed considerably over the last few years,not worth the intention of upping stakes and moving here for keeps (in my opinion) but others may differ ,especially the ones who are stuck here with house/wife/family God help them

I have been here 11 years and resided in virtually every area of Pattaya. I was impressed, primarily with developer ads re Jontiem and moved there 1

year ago. Jontiem is terrible - no cinema, no fast food places, ( none ! ),

no clinics/hospitals/Doctors, shabby,and far from Central Pattaya where

everything many people want is located & everything overpriced because it

is JONTIEM. Cost me a bundle to get in/out but it's worth it to finally be PAROLLED ! P. S. - and now they managed to screw up the beach as well !

I agree with the advice to rent first while you look around. Whether you will be driving a car or not, I would recommend that you rent or buy a condo close to the 10 baht truck taxi line on Jomtien Beach Road. Sometimes you may not want to drive and the truck taxis can take you to the airport bus station, Jomtien Complex, and into Pattaya to places like Central Festival Mall, Royal Plaza, Avenue, Pattaya International Hospital, etc. Most condos in your rent price range, especially if they have an ocean view, will not be large and will probably run from around 30sqm to around 50 to 60 sqm. Since your condo will likely be small, I would look for a condo complex that offers more amenities than just a pool. Should the four walls start to feel close, it might be nice to have a gym, sky lounge, library, and nice grounds with walking paths, etc. as well as the swimming pool to go to.

When you get to Jomtien rent a hotel or serviced apartment.

Then rekki condos yourself in person. You will make the best judgement that way, and not commit yourself in advance.

And regarding health insurance, I would highly recommend Bupa.

Good luck !!

I have been here 11 years and resided in virtually every area of Pattaya. I was impressed, primarily with developer ads re Jontiem and moved there 1

is JONTIEM. Cost me a bundle to get in/out but it's worth it to finally be PAROLLED ! P. S. - and now they managed to screw up the beach as well !

That's funny, think most of us stay in Jomtien to get away from what you talk about.

We do have a few Clinics. wai2.gif

That's funny, think most of us stay in Jomtien to get away from what you talk about.

We do have a few Clinics.

Clinics, doctors and there's that newish BPH clinic up near BigC. Also the proximity to BigC, Tesco and Makro are good selling points for me. Also being able to leave town without having to drive through town (assuming one wants to go in the Rayong/Sattahip direction, which is generally where I go for a day out).

As for fast food places and cinemas, I dont frequent either so not having them is not a loss. I do go to Pattaya two or three evenings a week, and several times a week in daytime to eat, and it doesnt seem too hard to get the cinema in The Avenue.

"I get a courier service to take my passport to the Thailand Elite office, they take care of the reporting for me, and the courier service brings it back once the reporting is tabulated."

Amazes me how/why people think that putting a stamp on an envelope and sending in the 90 day report is a "hassle" and would prefer to pay stupid amounts of money to a " service" who do exactly the same thing !!

It's so good just to be able to enter and exit Thailand as I like, without endless interrogations and reams of paperwork.

The Elite Card is certainly an option for those under 50 and who dont mind spending the money.

But a Thai retirement extension (not a retirement visa) must be one of the easiest long-stay options anywhere. It could not be simpler and, in Jomtien at least, takes just a half-hour to arrange with little paperwork and at a cost of under 6000B for unlimited entries/exits with no further paperwork for an entire year (apart from the usual 90-day report which is also very easy and quick in Jomtien, and can even be done online).

Its simplicity is one of the reasons I live in Thailand.

I fully endorse this post about applying for a Retirement Extension, when 50 years old. The Jomtien Immigrationn office is frequently praised here on TVF, and I would recommend this as it seems you would have little difficulty with the financial requirements.

I have recently bought Health Insurance at the Age of 69, and I will PM you the details of a company I found competetive and very helpful.

I fully endorse this post about applying for a Retirement Extension, when 50 years old. The Jomtien Immigrationn office is frequently praised here on TVF, and I would recommend this as it seems you would have little difficulty with the financial requirements.

I have recently bought Health Insurance at the Age of 69, and I will PM you the details of a company I found competetive and very helpful.

I too would like to know of insurance cover for 69 year old,especially "being very helpful" at taking the money,just wonder how good they are at giving it out to a 69 year old,unless its AIA, take in 50,000 baht pay out 50 baht

Thailand Elite obviously suits you and your circumstances. You are looking for a smooth ride through life with as little inconvenience as possible, that's fine. I've just checked out the website. Family membership, 1,000,000 baht up front and 10,000 a year. OK, can manage that. Then look at the benefits. I don't play golf, My health insurance covers every hospital in the country, I never leave Thailand and I am quite capable of finding resorts, spa's and attractions for myself. So I would pay just to avoid an annual trek to Phitsanulok Immigration, which we combine with a shopping trip for everything not available in Phetchabun (which is nearly everything). Not good value for me. And it is run by TAT!

We live in a small up country town. Our choice. I never assume that it would be perfect for everyone, so I don't mock people who choose to live in BKK, Pattaya or Phuket just because it wouldn't suit me.

It's been a year since I last posted on here with regards to early retirement and visa options. Having mulled over those options for quite some time now I have decided to bite the bullet and apply for the Thai Elite card.

Providing all goes to plan I intend to stay in the Jomtien Area.

Anyhoo, the info I am after is as follows:

I'm looking for any recommendations on long term accommodation (1+ years). Been browsing for hours/days and there appears to be an endless supply of long term accommodation. Talay residences seems to pop up more often than not and for all intents and purposes they look fine. However I am not keen to commit unless I see these places and their surroundings first hand.

Essentially I would be looking for a condo in a relatively quiet (where you can get a peaceful nights sleep), secure location with a gym either on site or near by. Air con + ceiling fans is a must.

I'm looking in the range of 10,000 - 18,000 pcm for accomm.

Health insurance. Any recommendations? Not looking for executive service, just something to cover me or reduce any potential astronomical bills in the future during my stay.

I'll understand if it is not acceptable to make recommendations on these boards as it could be seen as free advertisement. If that is the case just throw it at me in a PM, I'll buy you a beer when I get there!!

Counting the days away!

Cheers!

Rent somewhere in aforementioned area on a high floor and you won't need to worry about health insurance!!

Just curious........how did you come about, or how much is the Thai Elite membership / card costing?? Reason why I ask is that anyone who has one doesn't tend to rent in.................

Edited by Woody1

Thailand Elite obviously suits you and your circumstances. You are looking for a smooth ride through life with as little inconvenience as possible, that's fine. I've just checked out the website. Family membership, 1,000,000 baht up front and 10,000 a year. OK, can manage that. Then look at the benefits. I don't play golf, My health insurance covers every hospital in the country, I never leave Thailand and I am quite capable of finding resorts, spa's and attractions for myself. So I would pay just to avoid an annual trek to Phitsanulok Immigration, which we combine with a shopping trip for everything not available in Phetchabun (which is nearly everything). Not good value for me. And it is run by TAT!

We live in a small up country town. Our choice. I never assume that it would be perfect for everyone, so I don't mock people who choose to live in BKK, Pattaya or Phuket just because it wouldn't suit me.

Do you get a parachute?