UK Tourist visa,return trip possible?

My girlfriend has a multi entry 6 month UK tourist visa valid until Feb 2016 and completed her requested trip(6 weeks)in Sept.

I know problems can happen if you don't comply with the requested trip length,but how can we request a further trip(Christmas/New Year)on this visa?.

I've been trying to contact someone but its difficult to find out any information and we don't want her to be refused entry or cause any problems for future visas etc.

Thanks for any sensible advice.

Regards

If she has a 6 month multiple-entry visa - she's free to come and go throughout the 6 months.

In theory yes,but I know personally of a Lady who asked for 2/3 months,but then stayed the full 6 months and then got refused another visa because she didn't adhere to the requested and granted time period.

But I hope your right

Edited by MAZ3

If she has a 6 month multiple-entry visa - she's free to come and go throughout the 6 months.

In theory yes,but I know personally of a Lady who asked for 2/3 months,but then stayed the full 6 months and then got refused another visa because she didn't adhere to the requested and granted time period.

But I hope your right

There's a difference between applying for 2 weeks and staying for 6 months and taking a couple of 2 week breaks. If you max a visa... it might suggest that you're really visa running on the UK and unlike Thailand the UK is pretty strict on that. But going back again for Christmas? It won't be an issue.

As TheSiemReaper has pointed out the visa holder is allowed to travel to the UK Border as long as the visa is valid.

As with all visas they don't guarantee admission, the Border Force officer still needs to be satisfied that the current visit is genuine and affordable, and that the visa holder is likely to leave the UK at the conclusion of the visit. They must leave the UK on or before the visa expiry date.

• Like 1

But I hope your right

UK visit visas are usually valid for 6 months and multi entry. Which means that the holder can enter, leave and re enter the UK as often as they wish while the visa is still valid, or remain in the UK for the full 6 months if they wish. Doing either will not break the immigration rules in any way as long as they leave the UK on or before the expiry date.

The ECOs are aware that people's plans can and do change, and many have legitimate reasons for extending their stay beyond the period originally stated or returning to the UK having left.

However, it can damage an applicant's credibility if they say in the application that they will be staying for a set period, e.g. because they have to return for work, and then stay longer.

So in any subsequent application they should explain why they stayed longer than originally stated and how they were able to do so.

I'd suggest doing the same in any subsequent application if using a visit visa for a second time when this second trip was not mentioned in the original application.

• Like 1

Thank you Gents,and your sensible advice.

I plan then to take her back for Christmas and return by the New Year and explain why in the next application(which will be our 3rd tourist visa),we've been together 4 years.

The only question left is if I wanted to take her back in the summer of 2016 for 3 months,when does the 6 month maximum per year start from?. A Calendar year or a rolling year?,we won't fall foul of this rule,just curious.

Again many thanks

Regards

Paul

MAZ3, on 21 Oct 2015 - 19:56, said:

The only question left is if I wanted to take her back in the summer of 2016 for 3 months,when does the 6 month maximum per year start from?. A Calendar year or a rolling year?,we won't fall foul of this rule,just curious.

It's a rolling six months in any twelve, so if she's been in the UK for six weeks this summer and for a couple of weeks over the Christmas/New Year period, she should be fine next summer.

There is a slight caveat to her proposed application next summer though, each application is considered on its own merit, so whilst her previous travel history should go in her favour if she intends to apply for a holiday of a three month duration she will need to satisfy the ECO that it's a genuine holiday and she's not using a visit visa to circumnavigate the settlement route, if she has employment she will need to prove that an employer will grant a three month holiday.

Whilst I agree with 7by7's point about mentioning the second trip in any future application, explaining changes of travel plans are more relevant when a person indicates in their initial application that they want to visit the UK for a couple of weeks and then stay for a few months, that can cause an ECO to doubt the credibility of any stated reasons to return.

My partner has a longer term visa, she applied for this on the grounds that she would be visiting the UK regularly over an extended period, though she only gave details of the initial trip covered by that application.

• Like 1

MAZ3, on 21 Oct 2015 - 19:56, said:

It's a rolling six months in any twelve, so if she's been in the UK for six weeks this summer and for a couple of weeks over the Christmas/New Year period, she should be fine next summer.

There is a slight caveat to her proposed application next summer though, each application is considered on its own merit, so whilst her previous travel history should go in her favour if she intends to apply for a holiday of a three month duration she will need to satisfy the ECO that it's a genuine holiday and she's not using a visit visa to circumnavigate the settlement route, if she has employment she will need to prove that an employer will grant a three month holiday.

Whilst I agree with 7by7's point about mentioning the second trip in any future application, explaining changes of travel plans are more relevant when a person indicates in their initial application that they want to visit the UK for a couple of weeks and then stay for a few months, that can cause an ECO to doubt the credibility of any stated reasons to return.

My partner has a longer term visa, she applied for this on the grounds that she would be visiting the UK regularly over an extended period, though she only gave details of the initial trip covered by that application.

Thanks again.

That may be the way to go,this is her 2nd tourist visa and a longer term visa would be more suited to our plans.

2/3 months in our summer and Christmas/New Year,without exceeding the 6 month rule.

Any difficulty with obtaining a longer term visa over a normal tourist visa?,apart from the employment issue(she,works with her parents,so no problem there).

Cheers

Edited by MAZ3

Any difficulty with obtaining a longer term visa over a normal tourist visa?,apart from the employment issue(she,works with her parents,so no problem there).

Not really difficult, she just needs to satisfy the ECO that there is a genuine reason for regular visits. Bear in mind Beano2274's point that a longer term visa still only allows the holder to stay in the UK for six months in any twelve and there is no refund of the additional fee, longer term visas cost more, if the ECO only issues a visa with a six month validity.

My partner only applied to give her the flexibility to travel to the UK at short notice, which we have done twice this year, and of course it saved her having to go through the application process again for a couple of years.

• Like 1