installing air conditioner myself

fry30

Hi everyone,

I bought a Samsung triangle AR13 air conditioner, installation isn't included in the price, so now I'm left with the choice to install it myself or call a HVAC company.

I don't know yet how much it would cost, probably around 3000 but if the equipment to install it, is around the same price it worth trying to do it myself.

This way I could make a regular maintenance and install another AC in future.

First step would be to find all the tools (vacuum pump, flaring tools etc..), anyone know where I could find this or order it?

Why on earth would you even attempt to install it yourself ? you save 2-3000 baht .........

let the experts do it and it' covered if there's any problem ....whistling.gif

but, i give you guts if you do it .....

Often the professional installed aircons loose gas (on purpose??) and need to be refilled frequently.

If I would have the time I would install myself....

Fitted 3 all done in less than four hours everything needed was in the box no drama's very straight forward. Asked local technicians to check after 500 bht all OK. Hardest thing was trying to read instructions needs glasses and magnifying glass LOL

My new Samsung came with gas and everything to install. Just drilled some holes and had it installed in 2 hours. Check the box to see if they included everything before you proceed.

No it didn't!

Split units need pipe and gas. New compressors are usually nitrogen charged so a vac pump may not be required. Copper pipe and flaring tools along with either silver solder/brazing or machanical pipe joints gas and control valve/gauges. Most companies will do this for around 2000 baht.

And don't forget if a new installation it will need electrical connection.

My new Samsung came with gas and everything to install. Just drilled some holes and had it installed in 2 hours. Check the box to see if they included everything before you proceed.

either you are pulling a fast one or suddenly pre-filled pressure and suction pipes with automatic valves are available in Thailand. and if the latter applies... these valves cost a multiple of an average installation.

"just drilled some holes"... please, do not insult our intelligence! dry.png

Inzman is correct.

New AC's come pre vacuumed and loaded with Freeon. You connect the pipes and open the valves on the outside unit.

Easy enough to fit but you need the following tools.

1. Electric drill

2. Hole saw big enough to cut a 2" hole in the wall

3. Assorted sized masonry drill bits

4. Screwdriver

5. Step ladders

6. Length of 3 core 2.5mm cable

7. Socket set or spanner set. Wrench set if your American

8. Allen key to open the valves or Hex keys if your American

How do I know? I used to fit them when I worked in Ethiopia.

For those small window air conditioners 5000-8000 BTU's.It's not difficult.You can install it yourself.The bigger ones are harder to lift.

If you wouldn't miss 2000 baht or so makes me phone calls.

I've not seen a window A/C here, at least not a new one.

New split units do indeed come pre-charged with enough gas for the supplied pipe run, but to be honest for the cost of getting a man to do it who will (should) have all the kit why bother DIYing it.

For those small window air conditioners 5000-8000 BTU's.It's not difficult.You can install it yourself.The bigger ones are harder to lift.

New split units do indeed come pre-charged with enough gas for the supplied pipe run, but to be honest for the cost of getting a man to do it who will (should) have all the kit why bother DIYing it.

"enough gas" is relative Crossy. it depends on the length of the pipes. another hurdle is that the pipes (if not prefilled and fitted with valves) contain air which will remain in the system if not evacuated. that might be acceptable not only in Ethiopia or Mogadishu but also by some 'pennywise poundfoolish' TV-members in Thailand.

moreover, the usual quoted 2,000 Baht includes in most cases piping up to 3, sometimes up to 5 meters. that means if piping is provided and installed by the purchaser, contractor's installation cost should be not more than 800 Baht for a single unit and less for three or more units.

but then... mileages vary because even 800 Baht buy a lot of Chang smile.png

Why on earth would you even attempt to install it yourself ? you save 2-3000 baht .........

Often the professional installed aircons loose gas (on purpose??) and need to be refilled frequently.

Often? Neither of my 2 installations did and it would be a clever deliberate botch job to create a slow leak, that and the fact it should be covered for the first year. So many places offer installation included when they sell that I wouldn't bother trying to save a few baht (unless someone was giving it me for free). I often find when I try to do a job myself, there is some fitting, tool, part I don't have and it is very frustrating.

I watched the guys installing our two units. I rewired the house here,constructed a new bathroom (kitchen is next) including water and toilets.

Installing an air conditioner is something I would definitely not attempt unless I already had the gear and some experience.

... "enough gas" is relative Crossy. it depends on the length of the pipes. ...

Indeed it does, which is why I said "enough gas for the supplied pipe run".

Not sure how the air issue is sorted for a DIY install as all our units have longer than standard pipe runs which needed vacuum pumping and testing.

Often? Neither of my 2 installations did and it would be a clever deliberate botch job to create a slow leak, that and the fact it should be covered for the first year. So many places offer installation included when they sell that I wouldn't bother trying to save a few baht (unless someone was giving it me for free). I often find when I try to do a job myself, there is some fitting, tool, part I don't have and it is very frustrating.

leaks can be tiny. i had 4 leaking units (piping) out of a total of 19 which showed up 2 and even 3 years later. and when i read how often people mention that it is necessary to "top up" the refrigerant once a year i take this as a clear indication that many contractors in Thailand manage to generate business for years to come.

a properly installed system never requires any topping up except in rare cases if leaks in the units already exist when delivered by the manufacturer.

... "enough gas" is relative Crossy. it depends on the length of the pipes. ...

Indeed it does, which is why I said "enough gas for the supplied pipe run".

Not sure how the air issue is sorted for a DIY install as all our units have longer than standard pipe runs which needed vacuum pumping and testing.

that begs for the question whether indoor units are nowadays delivered precharged too. mine were definitely not because i noticed with horror that the pipes were on site hard soldered ("soddered" for our American friends).

Because in all the years I have lived here, seen numerous installations in houses as well as up market new dwellings , I have yet to come across any Thai that understands the significance of "being level". That applies to most things including toilet cisterns.

I recently bought a Samsung AR18J unit, list price 39100 baht for 19100 baht fitting and removal of old unit included

You have to shop around and haggle in this place

price is very fair but the "list price" is a joke.

No it didn't!

Split units need pipe and gas. New compressors are usually nitrogen charged so a vac pump may not be required. Copper pipe and flaring tools along with either silver solder/brazing or machanical pipe joints gas and control valve/gauges. Most companies will do this for around 2000 baht.

And don't forget if a new installation it will need electrical connection.

I have never seen a split unit that did not come with gas precharged. There is a standard pipng set preflared with fittings that comes with the unit. If you require longer piping, you may need a bit more gas. fl

Inzman is correct.

New AC's come pre vacuumed and loaded with Freeon. You connect the pipes and open the valves on the outside unit.

1. Electric drill

4. Screwdriver

5. Step ladders

My inverter aircons came preloaded, as came the unit that Daikin themselves replaced under warranty, and I recall that with each installation the tubes needed to be vacuum sucked before the gas was released from the compressor.

Inzman is correct.

1. Electric drill

4. Screwdriver

5. Step ladders

My inverter aircons came preloaded, as came the unit that Daikin themselves replaced under warranty, and I recall that with each installation the tubes needed to be vacuum sucked before the gas was released from the compressor.

Naa, not possible. The valves and connectors are on the outside unit.

By the time you buy a bottle of gas and the apparatus required I think I would get someone to do it. It ain't going to cost fortunes. Plus they will guarantee their fixture.

and sadly this is what i dont like, theyll leave your house walls , ceiling, floor , etc covered in black handprints, hit the ceilings with there ladders also door frames doors etc............Ive found 99% of workmen clumsy careless, reckless and using bodges at every possible step also dont forget many like to smoke....I keep workmen well away, dont forget any lunchbreak will be spent with them lying on your house path surround with their head up your walls also.....................I used to be a painter and they really p**S me off here.

By the time you buy a bottle of gas and the apparatus required I think I would get someone to do it. It ain't going to cost fortunes. Plus they will guarantee their fixture.

and sadly this is what i dont like, theyll leave your house walls , ceiling, floor , etc covered in black handprints, hit the ceilings with there ladders also door frames doors etc............Ive found 99% of workmen clumsy careless, reckless and using bodges at every possible step also dont forget many like to smoke....I keep workmen well away, dont forget any lunchbreak will be spent with them lying on your house path surround with their head up your walls also.....................I used to be a painter and they really p**S me off here.

Not my experience here in deepest Isaan.