Full HD 1080P Media Player

Dario

Hi all,

Since about 2 years I use what is called a Full HD 1080P Media Player which I bought in China on Aliexpress for around $30.00 free shipping included to Thailand. I connect this via HDMI to my big 50" flat screen TV. Then I connect my 2TB WD external hard disk. On this hd I have a huge number of downloaded Cartoons for my 6 year old daughter and also movies in 720 + 1080p.

The idea is great, but I must admit I've gone through 3 devices now. 2 have given up, I dunno why (bad Chinese quality??). These devices are also available on Lazada Thailand for roughly the same price.

I have 2 such 50" flat screen TVs, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. As for now, I have only one working device left. I would like to buy again one for the second TV, but I'm afraid I run into the same quality issues as with the 2 which have given up.

I wouldn't mind to pay more money for something which is reliable and works well. Are there any movie buffs here who can advice me what would be best to buy? Any help is very much appreciated. I add a picture of what I have now.

A small problem I have with these media players is that subtitles show extremely small. How can I solve that problem?

post-5472-0-89392700-1445428134_thumb.jp

post-5472-0-82463100-1445428420_thumb.jp

Edited by Dario

Get one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBMC-S802-B-Quad-Core-4K-2G-16GB-Dual-Wifi-Bluetooth-Android-4-4-2-Smart-TV-Box-/191387654721

They are awesome, can do everything you mention really well, support 4k as well as 1080p, and 5.1 audio (maybe 7.1). You can download using the device itself, use your hard disk as storage, as well as install android apps like IlikeHD and Kodi for free tv and movie streaming. You can also install a DNLA server on your computer (I use Plex) and play the files on the tv box directly from there over wireless - loads of possibilities and really solid devices.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I bought in China on Aliexpress for around $30.00 free shipping included to Thailand.

2 have given up, I dunno why

You really don't know why?

Thank you for your sarcastic reply. I hinted already on poor Chinese quality. The same are for sale in every IT center, on Lazada, you name it. I asked for peoples opinions on what they could recommend me. You failed.

Get one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBMC-S802-B-Quad-Core-4K-2G-16GB-Dual-Wifi-Bluetooth-Android-4-4-2-Smart-TV-Box-/191387654721

They are awesome, can do everything you mention really well, support 4k as well as 1080p, and 5.1 audio (maybe 7.1). You can download using the device itself, use your hard disk as storage, as well as install android apps like IlikeHD and Kodi for free tv and movie streaming. You can also install a DNLA server on your computer (I use Plex) and play the files on the tv box directly from there over wireless - loads of possibilities and really solid devices.

Thank you, sounds interesting. I wonder if they're available in Thailand, otherwise I have to buy through eBay.

I don't know if this makes any difference: I have no cable Internet. I live out in the bushes, Nakhon Nowhere. I have to download everything via 3G tethering.This in 2015 A.D.

Thank you.

I bought mine from ebay from a HK seller, mine just arrived problem free and tax free but the tax is low anyway I believe

The previous model is available on Lazada, and is the same apart from the 5.1 audio, however it is slightly more expensive for a lower spec - http://www.lazada.co.th/s82-tv-box-android-44-quad-core-2ghz-mali450-4k-h265-2g16gb-xbmc-dolby-dlna-miracast-bluetooth-wifi-2287925.html

With your internet you are unlikely to be able to stream movies, but so long as you can tether to your 3g via wifi (if your phone allows you to create a wifi hotspot and share the 3g), it will be able to connect to the internet using that and you'll be able to download on the box itself. The box does have bluetooth so it may be possible to tether using that as well. If you don't have fast internet though, you won't be making the most of the box - but in my experience it is very solid which does satisfy your requirement well. You can still do the Plex on the computer thing so you don't have to physically move the external drive around.

As Happy Grumpy rightly points out though, so long as your TV has USB you can probably just plug the external drive into it for a bare bones solution if you're happy downloading and transferring manually - worth a try. Might have codec issues if it is an older model.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I bought mine from ebay from a HK seller, mine just arrived problem free and tax free but the tax is low anyway I believe

The previous model is available on Lazada, and is the same apart from the 5.1 audio, however it is slightly more expensive for a lower spec - http://www.lazada.co.th/s82-tv-box-android-44-quad-core-2ghz-mali450-4k-h265-2g16gb-xbmc-dolby-dlna-miracast-bluetooth-wifi-2287925.html

With your internet you are unlikely to be able to stream movies, but so long as you can tether to your 3g via wifi (if your phone allows you to create a wifi hotspot and share the 3g), it will be able to connect to the internet using that and you'll be able to download on the box itself. The box does have bluetooth so it may be possible to tether using that as well. If you don't have fast internet though, you won't be making the most of the box - but in my experience it is very solid which does satisfy your requirement well. You can still do the Plex on the computer thing so you don't have to physically move the external drive around.

As Happy Grumpy rightly points out though, so long as your TV has USB you can probably just plug the external drive into it for a bare bones solution if you're happy downloading and transferring manually - worth a try. Might have codec issues if it is an older model.

Appreciate your input, thanks. Just tried the bare bones solution with USB, it shows no signal. I bought my two LG's 5 years ago, that's considered old. Probably I go the eBay way you propose. Thanks a lot.

There are no issues with streaming anything. I did it all the time watching media and I only had a 10 mb connection when I lived in Phuket

...As Happy Grumpy rightly points out though, so long as your TV has USB you can probably just plug the external drive into it for a bare bones solution if you're happy downloading and transferring manually - worth a try. Might have codec issues if it is an older model.

This simple solution works for me but I have previously to convert HD audio format DTS in audio format AC3 For my Chinese TV (TCL). Same for my other Samsung and LG TV
Popcorn DTS to AC3 small software is easy to use but it still takes a little hour to get to know it.

As for the USB comment.

I believe you need to transfer the file to a USB stick and not an Ext. HDD (connected by USB connection)

As the Ext. HDD needs to spin and is powered by the computer when connected, but TV's don't do this. So one is limited to a USB drive which is limited to 32gb? and doesn't spin.

I have my PC connected to my FHD TV via a DVI to HDMI cable.

3 meters long, 350baht in Zeer Rangsit (or any computer mall). 1 meter was 200b.

If you want reliability at a mid range price around 5000 baht choose either a Minix Z64 windows 8.1 version or Minix Neo 8 H android box. Both will handle anything you give it and stream flawlessly (especially the windows version.) Check the reviews on YouTube.com for yourself, there are many other excellent products available online from local shops like Lazada, You pays your money and make your choice. Just as a matter of interest I have both of the minix boxes I mention, no problems whatsoever.

If you want reliability at a mid range price around 5000 baht choose either a Minix Z64 windows 8.1 version or Minix Neo 8 H android box. Both will handle anything you give it and stream flawlessly (especially the windows version.) Check the reviews on YouTube.com for yourself, there are many other excellent products available online from local shops like Lazada, You pays your money and make your choice. Just as a matter of interest I have both of the minix boxes I mention, no problems whatsoever.

Very correct.

I have 2 android neo + and a z64 windows. I really like the windows version.

There is a fundamental problem with a lot of these boxes. The manufacturers rush them to market with imperfect firmware, and by the time they get round to fixing it, someone else has come out with a better box.

That's why I like the Minix - there are developers writing custom builds for it.

I think it's going to be a while before we are all downloading 4K content of the t'interweb, so I would just go for the best 1080p you can buy.

Edited by Chicog

Here is what you need that won't fall apart in a couple of years. I have had this one for 5 years and it still plays flawlessly. Bought at Tukom but haven't been there in a while so don't know if they are still available

I have only used USB sticks on it so can't comment on how it would work with an external hard drive

https://www.asus.com/Home-Entertainment/OPlay_Mini/

Just a thought, a lot of the digital tv boxes used to view the new digital channels in Thailand have usb ports that will let you watch videos. If your tv are old and you do not have cable tv in sakhon nowhere you would need these anyway.
An example (not recommending) is

http://www.createch.co.th/detail.php?i=2&id=1

Edited by DPGumbypgh

I think you have been unlucky

My Minix Neo 7 is going strong

The boxes on sale in Bangkok will have come from China anyway

and will carry a premium on their cost.

The latest versions do upscale to 4K for the latest TV.s

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is what you need that won't fall apart in a couple of years. I have had this one for 5 years and it still plays flawlessly. Bought at Tukom but haven't been there in a while so don't know if they are still available

I have only used USB sticks on it so can't comment on how it would work with an external hard drive

https://www.asus.com/Home-Entertainment/OPlay_Mini/

Bought one of these 3 years and also going strong.

Recently purchased a Minix NEO X8-H Plus. Running Kodi and some other great programs as well.

As a media player it is absolutely brilliant. Picture quality and sound are superb.

Three usb ports as well. Android operating system and can use it to surf the web as well.

No need for True Visions or CTH. Never bothered with them anyway as I obtain my shows by other means.

Plenty of reviews on Youtube if you wish to explore further.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

Cool, but OP or others reading might want to, which is why I mentioned Amazon Fire might not be best solution.

In my case, the (unbranded tronsmart s89 with s-802b chipset) box I linked to earlier is still running perfectly with Kodi (including stalker) and iLikeHD, as well as playing 5.1 audio and 4k tv.

I personally find iLikeHD much more stable and reliable for premier league football than any Kodi addon, which is a major use of mine - 30 baht a week basically, so would be annoyed to buy a box and then discover it was incompatible.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

• 1 month later...

I spoke too soon about my Minix Neo7, it has just died on me sad.png

So I am looking at the Minix Neo 8H-Plus but I am a little confused

The Minix site http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-x8-h-plus

says it has a Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9r4 Processor

But the machine offered on AliExpress quotes a Quad Core Amlogic s812

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I am interested in using the Finless custom ROM

Thanks

I spoke too soon about my Minix Neo7, it has just died on me sad.png

So I am looking at the Minix Neo 8H-Plus but I am a little confused

The Minix site http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-x8-h-plus

says it has a Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9r4 Processor

But the machine offered on AliExpress quotes a Quad Core Amlogic s812

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I am interested in using the Finless custom ROM

Thanks

S812, same as S802 , is a Cortex A9 processor bu S812 is the only one that can decode H.265 up to 4K

Edited by TheCruncher

I got my Minix x8-h at Fortune town - recommend buying it there in person, and you should get the Minix air mouse free with it also. (You could sk to ensure the Plus is updated to the latest Minix firmware - check on the Minix website otherwise also)

Minix has updated things and now works very well for many, many months - there's no need (that i can think of) for any of the custom ROM's anymore.

Personally I use Plex on it (and still have Serenity as a Plex client backup as it worked well when the Minix and Plex were a bit buggy), but also have tried Kodi which works fine.

(ps I found the wireless reception a bit poor on the Minix, compared to the old WD TV box alongside it back then, so changed to power line ethernet)

These are no longer available, but what do you think about this one?? Before coming to this thread I was considering using the Amazon fire, but it seems like this type box is a better option, and less expensive. I appreciate any help you can give on this.

http://www.amazon.com/leelbox-Android-Amlogic-Smart-Preloaded/dp/B019GXF22M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453376829&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=smart+tv+box&psc=1

That 'Leelbox' does look and sound very similar to the Minix range of boxes - but one of the general problems with all these different semi-generic brands is what kind of support if any you may get in the future for any issues.

When I got the Minix it had issues - but am glad to say they actually made updates to fix them all (and in fact the minix 'community' had their own fixes - 'custom roms' - to overcome issues meanwhile...)

In other words - I wouldn't try to save $50 ordering that from Amazon, only to have Thai customs stiff you for some ridiculous tax for the box... go to Fortune town. The shop(s) with these boxes will have a few brands as well as Minix. I can say the Minix plays every format i've tried and also has no issues with subtitles.