Thai Passport?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some info.

My mum is Thai. She gave up her Thai passport and now holds different citizenship.

I hold an Australian and British passport.

Is it possible for a person who is half Thai but not born in Thailand to obtain a Thai Passport without giving up other citizenship?

Regards,

Withaya

yes you can.

In the early 90's Thai citizenship was in all cases effectively returned to Thai women married to foreigners. Previous to that, in many cases those women who married foriegners lost their Thai citizenship.

How it stands now, legally anyway, is that your mum officially never gave up her citizenship. The only way now to lose Thai nationality is to give it up via officially renouncing Thai nationality.

Where were you born, in OZ?

What you need to do is get your mum to get her old Thai documentation, whatever she has (old Thai ID, etc etc.) For puposes of getting you registered as a Thai national this should be enough for the embassy can establish that you are eligable for Thai nationality by decent.

Either you or her should talk to the Thai embassy and see what paper work is invloved. She then has to register your birth as a Thai citizen at the embassy in Canberra (presuming that you were born in OZ) and then the Thai passport for you will follow.

I am in exactly the same situation to you. My mother handled my registration as a Thai citizen while I was still a teen. I have had both Thai and aussie passports for a long time and am onto my third Thai passport...

Best advice is to contact the embassy and they can take you though the exact steps.

yes you can.

In the early 90's Thai citizenship was in all cases effectively returned to Thai women married to foreigners. Previous to that, in many cases those women who married foriegners lost their Thai citizenship.

How it stands now, legally anyway, is that your mum officially never gave up her citizenship. The only way now to lose Thai nationality is to give it up via officially renouncing Thai nationality.

Where were you born, in OZ?

What you need to do is get your mum to get her old Thai documentation, whatever she has (old Thai ID, etc etc.) For puposes of getting you registered as a Thai national this should be enough for the embassy can establish that you are eligable for Thai nationality by decent.

Either you or her should talk to the Thai embassy and see what paper work is invloved. She then has to register your birth as a Thai citizen at the embassy in Canberra (presuming that you were born in OZ) and then the Thai passport for you will follow.

I am in exactly the same situation to you. My mother handled my registration as a Thai citizen while I was still a teen. I have had both Thai and aussie passports for a long time and am onto my third Thai passport...

Best advice is to contact the embassy and they can take you though the exact steps.

You can't hold a good man down eh ? :o Hope all goes well in the Capital.

:o hey don't go for thai passport !

u don't need it cuz the immigration in the countries liked aus,usa,england will check hard on ya !

thai passport suck cuz of the sex trade thing

i really wanna goverment to do something about it

cant'wait to change the citizen

u don't need it cuz the immigration in the countries liked aus,usa,england will check hard on ya !

As a second passport ... NO PROBLEM ... go for it :D

Dear all

I am married to a thai national wife and we have a child. All of us are domiciled in Singapore,but my wife still maintains her Thai nationality.My child is a Singaporean national, born in Singapore and we have not claimed any Thai citizenship for him. I understand that my child is entitled to claim Thai nationality. I have some queries which I hope that you could all provide some answers.

1) My child has previously travelled to thailand on a Singapore passport. Would he still be entitled to claim Thai citizenship?

2) Would the child lose the right to claim Thai citizenship he he doesn't do so by a specific age limit or can he be entitled to claim thai citizenshup at any time he desires. E.g. twenty years down the road,he wishes to claim thai nationality.

3)I understand that after registering the child as a Thai citizen the embassy staff would give your child a Thai birth cert and a Thai passport. Do you have to use the Thai passport to leave Singapore and enter Thailand or could your child leave on a Singapore passport and enter Thailand on a Thai passport?

4)Would the Thai authorities inform the Singapore authorities that the child has acquired Thai nationality?

Thanks a lot!!

As far as the Thai side is concerned ... no problem. Singapore forbids duality of nationality. Using a Singapore passport to depart Singapore and a Thai passport to enter Thailand is a flawed idea., and would signal to Singapore that a second passport was in use. ( missing stamps of arrival and departure )

As a second passport ... NO PROBLEM ... go for it :D

i think it will be his third as he said earlier he is holding an australian and british passport, starting a collection?

lol

4)Would the Thai authorities inform the Singapore authorities that the child has acquired Thai nationality?

You are talking about Thai officialdom....so it is highly unlikely.

What is likely to happen though, is that Singaporean immigration will become suspicious if they don't see a correspoding entry and exit stamp/visa from the country you have just left.

And singaporean immigration don't strike me as as lax as their Thai cousins!!

You can't hold a good man down eh ? :o Hope all goes well in the Capital.

ah doc....

am wondering what I am doing to be honest....course seems to want to make me into an academic or a central banker...and I don't want to be any of those...

am thinking of taking off to England mid year, now that I have a UK work permit lined up. Otherwise, back to Thailand! See how it all goes.

What is likely to happen though, is that Singaporean immigration will become suspicious if they don't see a correspoding entry and exit stamp/visa from the country you have just left.
From a quick glance at Singapore law do not believe there would be any problem until age 21 when a choice must be made if dual status is known. It appears that dual citizenship is allowed for minors.