After Oslo, Helsinki Kills Double & Triple TR Visas

The PDF file for Australia and Germany links are just the standard announcement seen everywhere, they dont specify requirements

Denmark added to the list (they kill 2&3 entries TR visa)

The Frankfurt visa fee pdf suggests that only single entry TR's are available. Link

Yep, I am twitching at the moment reading all up about the PE Visa. I did all my sums tonight and it will cost me around $5,000 more doing it the PE way over 5 years (going home twice a year, having to keep paying rent on my town house while I am gone, etc, etc make PE more viable) but it will save a big headache until I reach 50.

Looks like the day of the never ending holiday is over for a lot of us until we all become grumpy 50 year old men!

i want to hear about Laos and their policies on the double entry visa. I know they're likely to do away with it...and will have to pay 5,000baht for a 6 month visa. By the way, how many entries does the METV have? If you can do border runs to Mae Sae, and stay 6 months, then it's not so bad. Won't have to pay for the 1900b visa extension.

anyway, i think a lot of people will be going to laos on Nov 13 or before to do the 2 entry visa

i want to hear about Laos and their policies on the double entry visa. I know they're likely to do away with it...and will have to pay 5,000baht for a 6 month visa. By the way, how many entries does the METV have? If you can do border runs to Mae Sae, and stay 6 months, then it's not so bad. Won't have to pay for the 1900b visa extension.

anyway, i think a lot of people will be going to laos on Nov 13 or before to do the 2 entry visa

Maybe there should be an IQ test for anyone that applies for a multiple entry tourist visa biggrin.pngwai.gif

IF the 2 entry at Vientiane is going then that's probably why they haven't announced the change yet. To avoid the stampede!

Edited by elviajero

The METV is multi - entry which means as many entries as are desired within the visas period of validity.

Information available up to date suggests METV's will only be available from a persons own country of residence.

I know of a teacher who is twitching with no degree working a 9 month tourist visa, plenty will be looking at alternatives to stay!

Savannakhet will be flooded by "newlyweds" smile.pnglaugh.pngcheesy.gif

Oh, if it was that easy. For us with a same sex partner, if I just had to go to Savannakhet for just that issue, I would be a very happy man.

I know of a teacher who is twitching with no degree working a 9 month tourist visa, plenty will be looking at alternatives to stay!

Savannakhet will be flooded by "newlyweds" smile.pnglaugh.pngcheesy.gif

Oh, if it was that easy. For us with a same sex partner, if I just had to go to Savannakhet for just that issue, I would be a very happy man.

Sure

Those of the same sex would have to return to the "enlightened" West if marriage was desired but even if that was done it is doubtful if Thailand would recognise such a marriage for the purpose of a long term stay.

So far...

Italy

Cambodia

Singapore

Finland

Norway

Denmark

Austria

Germany

Australia

Are we really making "baseless suspicion" by saying that regular 2&3 entries TR visa will disappear?

Is there any country that has not have got rid of the regular 2&3 TR Visa when announcing its METV requirements?

Yep, I am twitching at the moment reading all up about the PE Visa. I did all my sums tonight and it will cost me around $5,000 more doing it the PE way over 5 years (going home twice a year, having to keep paying rent on my town house while I am gone, etc, etc make PE more viable) but it will save a big headache until I reach 50.

Looks like the day of the never ending holiday is over for a lot of us until we all become grumpy 50 year old men!

Or get a proper job....

This issue may generate greater angst than did the "clampdowns" on border running and Ed visas ....................!

Well something like this was going to happen one day.....we regularly read of posters demanding Thailand catch up with West etc....well know in a small way its starting to happen

The London Thai Embassy has to date not updated its website in respect of the METV.

The London Thai Embassy issues single entry tourist visas with a validity of three months and 2 & 3 entry tourist visas with a validity of 6 months

I wrote that badly, i actually meant a visa to enter the UK....

And for a Thai person to obtain such a visa they must not only navigate the "hoops" but jump the hurdles ! smile.png

But in UK, they get income support, housing benefit, free school, free healthcare, etc, so it"s make sense to restrict access

Whilst the subject is specifically Visas to Thailand, I might add that on the UK Visa it specifically states the bearer has no entitlement to benefits of any kind.

Seems the day of the perpetual "tourist" may be coming to an end!

Is that comforting to you?

Small minds...

Yeah I don't understand the gleeful excitement from oncearugge and elvajero who liked his post.

METVs could actually make it easier to be a perpetual tourist, depending on what actually happens after Nov 13.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

37000 Danish kroner is £3630 for a 6 month METV, getting serious with these new tourist visas!

The visa cost is 1200 Danish krone, bank balance required to support yourself during your stay is 37000 DK, about 185000 Thai baht, much less than the 400000 (marriage) and 800000 (retirement) balances required for one year visa extensions.

Or get a proper job....

Or be fully retired like I am and independently wealthy - get your facts straight before thinking you know what people do for a living. Some people cannot think that you can be younger (or youngish) and not have to work at all, period. Before going off on a different tangent saying well you can afford a PE Visa, well I did not make my money by just throwing it away and I like to think very carefully about my next move. If if was not for my partner, I would have left Thailand 7 years ago and moved to a much more Visa friendly country. Being careful and being one step ahead is how you keep your money and how you keep on being able to retire early an decide what you want to do with your life.

Wow such hostility and knee jerking.. i was making a suggestion thats all ....so get back on your perch polly.... Edited by Soutpeel

Small minds...

Yeah I don't understand the gleeful excitement from oncearugge and elvajero who liked his post.

METVs could actually make it easier to be a perpetual tourist, depending on what actually happens after Nov 13.

its known as the "closing the door behind me" mentality.

These people think they have made it to a "safe zone" and more people coming would jeopardies their seat.

15 years ago when I was going to Thailand people like them were telling me it was for hippies and drug addicts.

10 years ago, they were telling me the only good thing is to buy replicas.

We did too much of a good job proving them wrong, and made the place real easy for them.

Now the place is ruled by old farts who can't get a wife in their country, and get a GF here without ever learning a word of Thai, or know anything about Thai culture.

• Like 1

Small minds...

its known as the "closing the door behind me" mentality.

These people think they have made it to a "safe zone" and more people coming would jeopardies their seat.

15 years ago when I was going to Thailand people like them were telling me it was for hippies and drug addicts.

10 years ago, they were telling me the only good thing is to buy replicas.

We did too much of a good job proving them wrong, and made the place real easy for them.

Now the place is ruled by old farts who can't get a wife in their country, and get a GF here without ever learning a word of Thai, or know anything about Thai culture.

It is foolish when either "side" in this generalizes the other, by trying to pidgenhole them into stereotypes. Exapts in Thailand are a diverse lot.

From my personal experience, the reason expats have Thai GFs, is because they are better partners, in most if not all respects, than anyone they ever dated and/or lived with in the West. That is my experince (I am approaching 50), and that of many I have spoken to on the topic, older or otherwise.