Airport Immigration demanding work permit.

There is something fishy here.

Travelled for 23 years in & out with a Non-B & never ever been asked to show my work permit,

Maybe a red flag on file for non conformity to tax requirements.

Anyway, coming back from KL tomorrow so will see what happens??? I think nothing

If asked for WP will post

Cheers

• Like 1

"...had all my company documents with me including staff details, plus a letter from my lawyer explaining my old WP was cancelled and we were waiting on the Labour Department to issue it the new one.

Still not good enough. Immigration had no interest in talking to my lawyer for confirmation, nor did they seem to care all my company documents were in order. They seemed intent on not allowing me in. And when they did eventually stamp me in... the comment was "We don't believe you but we'll let you in".

What the hell is going on? It is NOT a LEGAL REQUIREMENT to be in possession of a work permit in order to hold a Non Imm B visa. You don't even need to be employed... yet Immigration have taken the view unless a work permit is produced, they will not be allowing entry anymore even on a valid on Non Imm B...."

You are very lucky and should be thanking the kindness of the IO he clearly said he didn't believe you that you are not working and had every right and probably a duty to not let you in the country end of story.

Discounting the importance of your lawyer's letter is par for the course and very normal in many countries.

What is the supporting connection between your company and your not working?

The fact that you did have a wp permit before and are applying for a new one makes one at the very least question your current work status.

"...yet Immigration have taken the view unless a work permit is produced, they will not be allowing entry anymore even on a valid on Non Imm B..."

Is this a written policy or what you were told or simply your guess?

I think we are all trying to see your point of view but it is really very difficult Immigration were doing their job and they gave you the benefit of the doubt even though they don't believe you - they couldn't possibly be any nicer.

Just for the record... I'm fully supportive of Immigration doing their job, fully supportive of them denying entry to those clearly with the wrong visa or clearly have a dubious track record. I also expected and was fine with being asked a few questions by the IO... in line with him carrying out his due diligence on me. HOWEVER... under the circumstances it is IMPOSSIBLE to prove I'm NOT working. What could I possibly have given them to prove that? To answer one posters question how is it possible to own a company but not work in it... simple answer I need to pay my staff or authorise my accountant to do that. And I had official documents stamped from the Thai Government to say that was the case. So surely... the IO after doing his due diligence, and with the knowledge that-

-A new WP application does indeed take time to process, and it is entirely plausibile that a foreigner could be stuck in the time void of being between one WP cancelling and a new one being processed.

-With official Thai Government evidence in front of him stating the company has just been set up

-With dated stamp on the company registration paper proving the company is new

-With evidence copy of my old WP proving I had one prior

-With a letter from my lawyer explaining and tieing all the information and evidence together

My situation was VERY believable and VERY credible. And very easily explained. And also happened to be true. Due diligence is one thing, but to drag me off into the interrogation room and have me sit their 1 hour without hardly asking me a question... seems way over the top. They didnt even bother to check all the documents for a new WP receipt. They looked at the Registration Certificate, the list of employees, and the letter from my lawyer. Thats it. Then gave me all the documents back. Then went over my passport with a fine tooth comb for what felt like forever. They didnt ask me any further questions, each time I tried to speak they waved their hand at me as if to say "shutup". For 1 hour I had to sit there and worry about my staff, my future and the possibility of not knowing where I'd end up sleeping that night.

Due diligence is one thing... making a decision on the basis of evidence is their job. Secondary suspicions of course they must take those into account. But c'mon. Really?

What an absurd thread. The headline is immigration demanding a work permit and when people offer sensible advice you accuse them of being blind and point out that you have a work permit.

A cancelled work permit is not valid, no valid work permit = questions from immigration officer. Stop complaining, they let you in didn't they !

They did demand a WP.

I never said I had a WP.

I said I awaiting my new WP and had a copy of an expired WP.

No further comment on blindness needed.

Cheers.

As a footnote, anybody who can offer some sensible advice, on how to handle the situation when you are between work permits (common here) but need to leave the country in the meantime due to the requirements of the Visa... my ears are open.

The rest of the time they were looking through my passport and apparently had a problem with me leaving the country every 90 days... even though I have to by law. Go figure.

No, you don't.

You simply do your 90-day report and get an extension of stay.

The fact that you've been leaving every 90 days like clockwork makes you look suspicious.

Ineligible for 90 day reporting because I'm not on Extension Of Stay from immigration

I'm on a 1 year Non Imm B Visa which requires leaving the country every 90 days

I never said I had a WP.

Cheers.

As a footnote, anybody who can offer some sensible advice, on how to handle the situation when you are between work permits (common here) but need to leave the country in the meantime due to the requirements of the Visa... my ears are open.

... anybody who can offer some sensible advice, on how to handle the situation when you are between work permits (common here) but need to leave the country in the meantime due to the requirements of the Visa... my ears are open.

Well, since you were only intending to sit in your room until the new WP came through, one option would have been some tourism around the region until you have evidence (in the form of receipt from the DOL) that the new WP was being processed and would shortly be issued. Perhaps, you have family in Thailand that made you keen to get back.

Your past track record contains no evidence of wrongdoing. However, continuous border runs on a non-imm B looks to IOs as if you an ineligable for an extension of stay. I understand why you were upset, but cannot fault the IOs for being suspicious.

• Like 1

>Ineligible for 90 day reporting because I'm not on Extension Of Stay from immigration

>I'm on a 1 year Non Imm B Visa which requires leaving the country every 90 days

If you have a Non-Immigrant B visa and a work permit, you do not have to leave the country every 90 days.

How could you not know this?

Leaving the country every 90 days makes you look suspicious. You're lucky they let you in.

I wish what you are saying was true. I really do.

Requirement of Visa to leave every 90 days.

Only way around that is to apply at Immigration for an extension of stay based on employment. Then your Non B Visa is cancelled and you go onto the Extension Of Stay. But the downside to that, is if employed is ceased, the Extension of Stay cancels immediately if my employment ceases or I quit. Then I must leave Thailand immediately. Its very cut throat.

With the Visa... it always remains valid until its expiry date regardless of employment or not. More flexible if you need to do what I just did, and change a work permit.

• Like 1

I find the criticism of the OP way over board. This man tried to do the right thing and some of you are attempting to paint him as the 'bad guy'. Yes, anyone can write a letter, but I am sure the letter has a legal or company letter head. The IO was way out of line in questioning his documents. Any IO worth his/her salt would have read the letter and stamped him in. If they had a doubt they should have called in a supervisor who could then call the lawyer if he had any further doubt. IO officers need to be better trained and it is obvious from various posts Phuket Airport is one of the worst for IO's being untrained and giving people entering legally with the right documentation a hard time. The OP is right to be irritated. The continual inability of Io's to make proper and credible decisions are an impediment to investment in the Kingdom.

Thank you, thats all I'm trying to say. Appreciate your support.

I never said I had a WP.

Cheers.

... anybody who can offer some sensible advice, on how to handle the situation when you are between work permits (common here) but need to leave the country in the meantime due to the requirements of the Visa... my ears are open.

Well, since you were only intending to sit in your room until the new WP came through, one option would have been some tourism around the region until you have evidence (in the form of receipt from the DOL) that the new WP was being processed and would shortly be issued. Perhaps, you have family in Thailand that made you keen to get back.

Your past track record contains no evidence of wrongdoing. However, continuous border runs on a non-imm B looks to IOs as if you an ineligable for an extension of stay. I understand why you were upset, but cannot fault the IOs for being suspicious.

Thanks... I did actually consider doing that, but felt regardless of me being away for 1 night or an extended trip of a couple of weeks touring around Asia... at the end of the day I'd still be entering without a WP. So probably wouldn't have changed the prediciment much... but food for thought :-)

I never said I had a WP.

Cheers.

Thanks... I did actually consider doing that, but felt regardless of me being away for 1 night or an extended trip of a couple of weeks touring around Asia... at the end of the day I'd still be entering without a WP. So probably wouldn't have changed the prediciment much... but food for thought :-)

Hmmm after more thought, you know thats actually not a bad idea. The receipt of WP could have been emailed and is easily printed. Definately would not have hurt the cause thats for sure... costly way to do it but its better than nothing.

>Ineligible for 90 day reporting because I'm not on Extension Of Stay from immigration

>I'm on a 1 year Non Imm B Visa which requires leaving the country every 90 days

If you have a Non-Immigrant B visa and a work permit, you do not have to leave the country every 90 days.

How could you not know this?

Leaving the country every 90 days makes you look suspicious. You're lucky they let you in.

I wish what you are saying was true. I really do.

Requirement of Visa to leave every 90 days.

Only way around that is to apply at Immigration for an extension of stay based on employment. Then your Non B Visa is cancelled and you go onto the Extension Of Stay. But the downside to that, is if employed is ceased, the Extension of Stay cancels immediately if my employment ceases or I quit. Then I must leave Thailand immediately. Its very cut throat.

With the Visa... it always remains valid until its expiry date regardless of employment or not. More flexible if you need to do what I just did, and change a work permit.

Hang on a minute....why would you be worried about going on extension of stay and losing your job if its your company ? if i understand correctly what you have written previously

lol... fair question. I'm not worried about losing my job, obviously not gonna sack myself in the new company. Its not a big company mate, and I'm not sure its possible to sustain it in its current form long term (hopefully but tough times as you know). So even though I am eligible for an Extension Of Stay... I prefer the security of a 1 year Visa... if my situation changes it gives me time to sort something else out legally. Or leave the country if I cant.

I thought that the authorities have a right to request to see a WP at any time.

Although you don't need a WP to have a non 'B' visa someone with your profile would be expected to have one and therefore it's perfectly reasonable for the IO to ask to see it.

• Like 1

It may be perfectly legal for the Io to ask to see the Work Permit- but it is totally illogical for the IO to question the proof that was presented. Had the OP entered at Swampy I seriously doubt he would have been put through the ringer.. The whole Southern Immigration division seems to make their own rules and play from a different book than the rest of the country. This is exactly why people have no interest in investing any money in the Kingdom. There is no consistency nor is their anyway to be totally prepared for the IO that has no idea how to handle situations such as the Op presented. People working on a Tourist Visa are one issue but questioning whether a person is working on a Non B is rather ridiculous. The IO needs to figure out that it is up to the Embassy/Consulate to review the reasons the B Visa is being issued. In this case the Io had ample proof that everything was in order. The Op should have been stamped in immediately without all the drama that a poorly trained IO put him through.Immigration needs to gt its house in order. There are plenty of people working here on Tourist Visas- that should be their priority.

Why? It's illegal to work with a non 'B' visa.

• Like 1

A Thai Consulate/Embassy issues a Non B based on evidence that the applicant supplies. An IO normally does not ever question whether a person who enters has a WP. I used to have a Non B- and was never asked for a WP. There are many B Visas issued where the holder does not have a WP because he is not working. In the OPs case he was asked and presented evidence that proved he was eligible to enter. How do you think a potential investor would react who was coming to Thailand on a Non B and wanted to spend $200 million to open a factory and was denied entry because he did not have a WP. I guarantee he would take his money elsewhere. The IOs need to start to spend their energy on those areas where most people are violating the law- Tourist Visas and working.. This situation shows that they are poorly trained and wasting the taxpayers money as well as presenting the Kingdom as unfriendly to investors.

• Like 2

A Thai Consulate/Embassy issues a Non B based on evidence that the applicant supplies. An IO normally does not ever question whether a person who enters has a WP. I used to have a Non B- and was never asked for a WP. There are many B Visas issued where the holder does not have a WP because he is not working. In the OPs case he was asked and presented evidence that proved he was eligible to enter. How do you think a potential investor would react who was coming to Thailand on a Non B and wanted to spend $200 million to open a factory and was denied entry because he did not have a WP. I guarantee he would take his money elsewhere. The IOs need to start to spend their energy on those areas where most people are violating the law- Tourist Visas and working.. This situation shows that they are poorly trained and wasting the taxpayers money as well as presenting the Kingdom as unfriendly to investors.

Actually I think your wrong some Thai consulates think its Malaysia want to see 8 months left on a WP before they will give someone else another B visa...but gladly stand to be corrected...

And i can assure you someone investing $ 200 million will not get stopped, i because it will be organised properly and 2. they will be coming through the fast track guranteed....so your example is very poor

In this instance the IO has acted correctly and done their due dilligence before allowing someone in, which is their absolute right and part of their job description, further a visa doesnt not gurantee entry to country, thats down to the IO to decide when the person is or intends being in a country within the terms of their visa...

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

Some local Consulates or Embassies do want to see WP to issue a Non B . However, in your country of origin- they will issue a Non B when you present a letter indicating you want to look at Thailand for investment. I entered Thailand at one time on one of these Visas without a WP- it was multiple entry and I was never asked for a WP. I certainly did not have big money to invest but had I been hassled for a WP- the small amount of money I did have would have gone somewhere else. My point is that immigration is wasting its time, visitors time and the taxpayers time by asking people who have a Non B to prove they are not working and have a WP. If they have issues with this they need to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and ask them to strengthen the proof needed at the Consulate/Embassy before issuing the Non B. Simple enforcement protocol states you concentrate you efforts in the area where there is the most to gain- Tourist Visa abuse..The hassling of the OP in this case is a clear example of a waste of time.

• Like 2

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what they normally do. They are entitled to ask to see a WP and if the person can't produce it they have the right to question why not. The evidence proved nothing. But IMO any IO presented with this potentially fake paperwork would allow the person to enter which they did.

Someone holding a non 'B' without a WP is more likely to be illegally working than someone with a tourist visa so I don't see your argument.

The fact that this person is re-entering Thailand with a non 'B' visa it's perfectly justifiable for the IO to ask to see a WP on the assumption that it would have been obtained already. The IO was just doing his job and I don't see anything to complain about.

It's interesting that the OP went armed with all this paperwork. It's as if they were expecting to be grilled.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what they normally do. They are entitled to ask to see a WP and if the person can't produce it they have the right to question why not. The evidence proved nothing. But IMO any IO presented with this potentially fake paperwork would allow the person to enter which they did.

Someone holding a non 'B' without a WP is more likely to be illegally working than someone with a tourist visa so I don't see your argument.

The fact that this person is re-entering Thailand with a non 'B' visa it's perfectly justifiable for the IO to ask to see a WP on the assumption that it would have been obtained already. The IO was just doing his job and I don't see anything to complain about.

It's interesting that the OP went armed with all this paperwork. It's as if they were expecting to be grilled.

Hmmmm...... Is that supposed be some sort of astute wisdom being proclaimed here by you.

As if you never have been and or will never be subjected to small minded government officials that are just doing their job...while you are living long term here in Thailand... while their enforcement of the immigration rules is obviously misplaced ...as compared...... to where they should be focusing their time and attention.

Of course they can do anything they want as that is their attitude and their sense of new order authoritarian entitlement ( as you mention ) while you also would not be happy at all about being interrogated and threatened with non entry if it so happens to be you that they decided to scrutinize and ask loads of "loaded questions" that are difficult to explain while they grill you like a CRIMINAL and or expressly imply you are a criminal trying to get away with something evil and reprehensible and they are going to expose your crimes while making you squirm and making you miserable ...at their leisure and your expense.

Think about it before you answer with an angry retort in defense of immigration officials that are just doing their job....very selectively I might add.

Meantime, literally hundreds of international criminals and Mafia members from all around the world arrive here on a regular basis and set up shop and operate illegal activities and perpetrate further crimes left, right and center...but they simply breeze through immigration coming and going and seldom if ever are they questioned or scrutinized......as in.... just plain stupid priorities.......that is, if you have any sense of where their immigration priorities and scrutiny's should be ...but seldom if ever are.

Cheers.

Edited by gemguy

Hmmmm...... Is that supposed be some sort of astute wisdom being proclaimed here by you.

As if you never have been and or will never be subjected to small minded government officials that are just doing their job...while you are living long term here in Thailand... while their enforcement of the immigration rules is obviously misplaced ...as compared...... to where they should be focusing their time and attention.

Of course they can do anything they want as that is their attitude and their sense of new order authoritarian entitlement ( as you mention ) while you also would not be happy at all about being interrogated and threatened with non entry if it so happens to be you that they decided to scrutinize and ask loads of "loaded questions" that are difficult to explain while they grill you like a CRIMINAL and or expressly imply you are a criminal trying to get away with something evil and reprehensible and they are going to expose your crimes while making you squirm and making you miserable ...at their leisure and your expense.

Think about it before you answer with an angry retort in defense of immigration officials that are just doing their job....very selectively I might add.

Meantime, literally hundreds of international criminals and Mafia members from all around the world arrive here on a regular basis and set up shop and operate illegal activities and perpetrate further crimes left, right and center...but they simply breeze through immigration coming and going and seldom if ever are they questioned or scrutinized......as in.... just plain stupid priorities.......that is, if you have any sense of where their immigration priorities and scrutiny's should be ...but seldom if ever are.

Cheers.

And you have proof positive and masses of evidence which supports these allegations ?

• Like 2

Cheers.

Isn't the job of an IO to screen everyone entering or should people holding non 'B' visas be exempt.

"Interrogated", "grill you like a criminal", blah, blah, blah. I assume you were witness to this treatment or are you just spouting bigoted hyperbole?

• Like 2

You also get a non-b for business meetings and i think you dont need a WP for the meetings.........

And if questioned by immigration you say you do not work in Thailand and are here on business. Not relevant to the OP's situation or cause for suspicion.

• Like 1