Proof of residential address

long klong

The certificate of residence paper is free of an official charge.

It has long been the custom of Phuket Imm officers to ask up to 500 baht 'payment'. Recently some officers at Patong office were 'transfered' for asking such illegal payments.

So it's worth refusing to pay. For sure you might have to wait a while, even next day for the 'free' paper.

I know it's for free, but I pay the 300 baht, because I am under 50 years of age and living here on tourist visas.

You may consider your personal circumstances, before refusing to pay.

Quite right NKM - but a tourist visa is entitled to a DL, and a certificate of residence.

It's the transit visa (30 day entry stamp) that are denied a DL, but if Immigration issue a certificate then the DVLC just accept and issue the DL anyway.

I know it's for free, but I pay the 300 baht, because I am under 50 years of age and living here on tourist visas.

Quite right NKM - but a tourist visa is entitled to a DL, and a certificate of residence.

It's the transit visa (30 day entry stamp) that are denied a DL, but if Immigration issue a certificate then the DVLC just accept and issue the DL anyway.

My point is, if the OP is living here on tourists visas, or possibly ED visas, or a mixture of tourists visas / visa exemption stamps, many close together, by date, if the OP refused to pay, an Immigration Officer might get nasty and issue the Certificate of Residence, because the OP is entitled to one, and then red stamp the passport, meaning the OP will not be getting another tourist visa in a hurry.

Depending on the OP's personal circumstances, he may be best to pay, and get out of the Immigration Office without drawing any attention to himself.

Edited by NamKangMan

Huh? More spies talking in code? huh.png

Put your name in the blue book, if you own a condo.

Not possible unless you are a Thai or PR.
Needs to be the so called yellow book tabian baan for Farang house registration.

My name is in the blue book.

1. Passport.

2. Contract in Thai.

3. Chanote.

I thought the yellow book was for those who rented or lived in company owned or the property was in the wife's name.

Not PR. I think it's up to the tessabaan.

Put your name in the blue book, if you own a condo.

Not possible unless you are a Thai or PR.
Needs to be the so called yellow book tabian baan for Farang house registration.

1. Passport.

2. Contract in Thai.

3. Chanote.

I thought the yellow book was for those who rented or lived in company owned or the property was in the wife's name.

Well, for those "owning" property here, it might be best to get a yellow book and a blue book - just to make sure. cheesy.gif

Huh? More spies talking in code? huh.png

Huh ...

NKM - NamKangMan

DL - Driving License

DVLC - Driver Vehicle License Center

1. Passport.

2. Contract in Thai.

3. Chanote.

To be honest I've never come across any Farang with a blue Tabian Baan. Intestering to hear that a condo has a Chanote title. I always thought Chanote related to the actual land title.

Most guys I know get a Yellow Tabian Baan if his Thai wife owns the land/home. I myself have never bothered getting the Yellow book. Maybe I should. Mind you I don't need one as I use my Work permit for proof of residence.

But we are going way off the original topic.

1. Passport.

2. Contract in Thai.

3. Chanote.

To be honest I've never come across any Farang with a blue Tabian Baan. Intestering to hear that a condo has a Chanote title. I always thought Chanote related to the actual land title.

Most guys I know get a Yellow Tabian Baan if his Thai wife owns the land/home. I myself have never bothered getting the Yellow book. Maybe I should. Mind you I don't need one as I use my Work permit for proof of residence.

But we are going way off the original topic.

"To be honest I've never come across any Farang with a blue Tabian Baan." - to be honest, I have never come across any Farang who actually owns the land his property sits on, despite what colour book they have, but that's best left for for another thread. biggrin.png

If they ask for 300 Baht, pay 300 Baht,

Don't expect a receipt.

Why do you encourage graft? Proof of Residence is a free service. The officer asking for the money should be reported. Always insist on a receipt and if not forthcoming ask to see the senior officer. You will get satisfaction.

Get a yellow housebook, does not cost a Satang.

I've had a yellow book over ten years and have never found a use for it, except earlier this year I transferred a m/c to my name and the office in Phuket used it with a smile, maybe there's hope yet !!

If they ask for 300 Baht, pay 300 Baht,

Don't expect a receipt.

Why do you encourage graft? Proof of Residence is a free service. The officer asking for the money should be reported. Always insist on a receipt and if not forthcoming ask to see the senior officer. You will get satisfaction.

Agree, do not support corruption. I've never paid, always say "But I was told it's free, may I see the supervisor?"

They'll make up some little face saver lie, " I'll check this time.." give it to the desk behind them, who will hand it to the edesk that does it, loss of about 3 seconds time. "Ok this time"