Give me good arguments to give my friend who doesn't wear an helmet when riding a motorbike

popje

I might be anxious but I never ride a motorcyle without an helmet, my friend does once in a while and even though I tell him to wear one, he doesn't. He is an intelligent person with multiple school degrees, I might be paranoid, but I feel like it would be my fault if anything happen to him, and I know he can easily be reasoned with good arguments, especially with statistics and shit. Anyone have any idea what I should tell him ? The more credible and the more statistically proven it is the better.

Btw he have less than a month of experience in riding anything, including his own country.

Edited by popje

Tell him he is a dipshit and tell him up to him and if he gets in an accident due to riding the bike with no helmet not to call you.....

why would one have to present any rational arguments or statistic to some one who should know better..your not his mother and one presumes he is an adult...

When he fall on the head, he most probably won't call anyone anymore....

It depends...Riding from Ban Nok to Nakhon Nowhere with no traffic obviously doesn't need a helmet....Also I don't wear one ridding the bicycle.

Ridding in Bangkok without helmet is stupid....actually ridding a motorbike with helmet is dangerous enough.....all the time my staff has some accidents....

In Feb fell off my bicycle and broke 5 bones in my leg, when my wife picked up my helmet she noticed it was split and broke with tarmac graze marks.

I didn't realise that when I fell off I had also hit my head on the road.

Doesn't take a lot of logic to understand that I could have been a lot worse off with an injury to my head as well as my leg.

From that moment of realisation I will not now go out without my helmet either on the motor bike of the MTB even on the shortest trip

Johna has it right in his post number 3 when he says go to the local hospitol,in our case Banglamung in Pattaya and see the damage and carnage caused by the lack of protective gear

One spill, not his fault, is all it takes and he becomes a vegetable! a vegetable with potentially enough Hospital bills to wipe him out financially as a bonus!! (assuming he doesnt have adequate health ins.either)

But, as the saying goes, there are none so blind as those who will not see.

There is an article in the Bangkok post, 3 days ago, that mentions Thailand is the second most dangerous country to drive in. We can't link to it here, so Google it.

Here is a similar article http://asiancorrespondent.com/119892/study-thailand-roads-2nd-most-dangerous-in-the-world/

Maybe that will help. Other than that, you may have to accept that your friend will die or be brain injured eventually. You could tell him that as well.

Well, earlier this year, I was in an accident in Vietnam. A speeding van with a dozen passengers, driving on the wrong side of the road.

Had a pleasant near-death experience and then woke up in pain. But the worst is yet to come. My head suffered somewhat. Don't want to elaborate, but wish I had worn a quality helmet!

A decade ago, there was a movement in CA by bikers fighting helmets. They said they needed their senses.

The human head is not meant to be abused in certain ways.

A few years ago a good friend riding home late at night was hit head-on on his side of the road by another motorbike overtaking a truck . He wasn't wearing a helmet.

What followed was a nightmare. Brain hemorrhage causing pressure on his spinal column with partial paralysis. Coma, multiple operations and eventual repatriation back the the UK.

He eventually died after his feeding tube was accidentally inserted into his lungs.

What is there to say other than being captain obvious. You don't wear a helmet and you get in accident, you smash your head and you die immediately, DUH!!?? Does your friend not know that?

And if you don't die, you'll suffer brain damage that will put you in a wheel chair and/or make you go mentally ill for the rest of your life. My uncle got in an accident without wearing a helmet, and the accident wasn't even at high speeds and he's now been on a wheelchair and mentally ill for over 30 years.

Check out many youtube videos where people smash their head on the road at 120 km/h but still live with absolutely no head injuries because they were wearing a (proper) helmet.

What I mean by proper is Snell/ECE/DOT approved helmets. Don't even think about wearing an 800 baht helmet that has a single foam and plastic layer, those helmets only exist to keep the police from fining you 500 baht; very few people on the road are educated about safety. Buy a proper 15,000-20,000 baht helmet.

Also, there's no way you can ride faster than 50 km/h until the wind hitting your eyes and the wind noise starts to become unbearable. So not wearing a helmet is stupid from a safety standpoint AND comfort standpoint.

As much as we love and care for our friends , we cant "dress" them every day. A visit to a main hospital on a Saturday - or any - night , may knock / shock some sense into him. I love riding , but i know there are added dangers involved. I sweat my ass of with my kevalr jeans , jacket , gloves and full face helmet , but i figure its better to leak sweat , than blood.

OP, I fully realise that this is motorbike forum,but really?

People don't die/get maimed only on bikes as you are no doubt aware

You feel you need to convince a friend to wear a helmet because you worry about his well being.

Are you going to put the same effort into telling him;

Don't drink alcohol to excess

Don't drink Thai tap water

Don't eat fatty, or salty, or too spicey foods

Dont do drugs

Don't swim with sharks

Don't smoke ciggarettes

Don't have unprotected sex with prostitutes

Don't travel in Thai visa run vans

Don't play on the highway.etc,etc,etc

The list of things to do or not do that have the potential to kill someone is long and varied in daily life.

Sadly people die every day on motorcycles, just as sadly many die of heartattacks ,HIV .and all other causes, including 'supersafe" cars

Heart disease,cancer ,lung diseases alone are the cause 74% of deaths in USA for eg Again mostly preventable!

Some people go through life doing everything "unsafe" and have zero consequences.

Some people go through life doing everything "safe" and die and or are maimed.

Where do you stop in worrying about "what if?"

Its got nothing to do with you,its called freedom of choice.

I choose to wear a helmet most of the time, but not because anyone had to convince me to do so.

I have riding mates that do and some that do not.

Their choice entirely and they will accept the consequences if they arise.

You just need to do what you choose to do and not choose what your mate wants to do.

Edited by garryjohns

Basically you can't. I had a friend who was the same. refused to wear a helmet and liked to drink. One afternoon on his way home he came off his bike and ended up in hospital. very touch and go for a few months and had to have brain surgery and cost him a couple of million. Within weeks of him getting back home and on his feet he was again riding without a helmet. You sometimes can't educate an idiot as much as you like them

When he fall on the head, he most probably won't call anyone anymore....

It depends...Riding from Ban Nok to Nakhon Nowhere with no traffic obviously doesn't need a helmet....Also I don't wear one ridding the bicycle.

Ridding in Bangkok without helmet is stupid....actually ridding a motorbike with helmet is dangerous enough.....all the time my staff has some accidents....

Lemme guess, your staff are Thai?

I am not overwhelmed with the fear of crashing every time I get on my bike. If I do happen to be smacked by another driver, I doubt I would want to live considering the speeds I ride at.

Helmets are for the police. Seems to be the only law they enforce.

A few years ago a good friend riding home late at night was hit head-on on his side of the road by another motorbike overtaking a truck . He wasn't wearing a helmet.

What followed was a nightmare. Brain hemorrhage causing pressure on his spinal column with partial paralysis. Coma, multiple operations and eventual repatriation back the the UK.

He eventually died after his feeding tube was accidentally inserted into his lungs.

So that is how good NHC is?

Just remind him his insurance will not cover him if he's not wearing a helmet and the hospital bills will be extortionate.

It just doesn't register with the idiots. it didn't with my friend nor will. it cost him well over 2 million in hospital bills and still rides and drinks without a helmet. Go figure. I love the guy as a mate and yet tell him at every chance just what a complete idiot he is. it is just a matter of time before his is another funeral to go to

I am not overwhelmed with the fear of crashing every time I get on my bike. If I do happen to be smacked by another driver, I doubt I would want to live considering the speeds I ride at.

Helmets are for the police. Seems to be the only law they enforce.

Yep, i'm of the same view.

In fact, i never ever have had any fear of crashing my bike, ever!

Now and again i've had the bejesus scared out of me, with a near miss or two, but never had lasting fear from it.

I am well aware of possible dangers but never scared of them.

I think that if you have any fear of crashing you should not be riding a bike.

I have seen people die and also broken/maimed after bike crashes, but only reflect on it briefly, pay respects , and don't fall apart because of it.

Their time was due, number was up. Sad, but true,and thats how fickle the hand of fate is at times.

No rhyme, no reason for the shit that can go down in lifes journey IMO.

Edited by garryjohns

What about this argument....(Warning ...SHOCKING VIDEO, not for everyone!)

https://www.facebook.com/ginnapaola.torres.5/videos/1912701262289369/

What about it?

Already posted by recom273

Meaning what? A graphic account of an idiot rider who got torn up [and apparently survived]

I could post similar pics/links with similar graphic details occurring in all the other often passive lifestyle activities i posted earlier above.#18

Pictures also of fully ATGATT riders who died after crashing, but wont, it doesn't prove anything except make some people a little hysterical it appears

PS tonight in France, some 40+ passengers siting in the relative safety of a large bus all perished in an horrific crash.

You never know when your number is up and there is SFA you can do about this!

Edited by garryjohns