Give me good arguments to give my friend who doesn't wear an helmet when riding a motorbike

popje

The head is just a tad bit stronger than an eggshell. The skull remaining intact, and unbroken, is quite essential for healthy living. It is not about our skills. It is about the morons. It is about the kids who lack driving skills and judgment. It is about living out your remaining years to their utmost potential.

I have a friend who was driving her bike a month ago, on Samui. She was driving slowly. But, it was raining, and the visibility was limited. Someone plowed into her, head on, on another bike. Both of them are still in the hospital a month later. She broke her leg, and her arm. But, worst of all she was not wearing a helmet, and went down quite hard, on her head. They operated on her brain. She still is incapable of speech, and the entire right side of her body is paralyzed. We all hope this is temporary. But, there is a good chance a good helmet would have saved her.

Anyone who rides without a helmet is taking a helluva lot for granted, and is tempting fate, to say the least.

Edited by spidermike007

Wow I wasn't expecting that much responses, thanks a ton guys and sorry I can't answer all of you and I need to go now but I'll answer a few of you tomorrow. Those who were wondering, he have no insurance or permit and he drive a honda click and avoid highways and we are in chiang mai, not bangkok so its not that bad but still. I know I am not his mom and he is an adult but telling him to wear it repeatedly helped, so a few arguments should seal the deal hopefully.

Take him to a government hospital and let him look at motorcycle accident victims

The best ones are in the Mortuary but I dare say you could Google something along the lines of:

"No Helmet/Scrambled Brains"

"Mashed Motorcycle Brains"

Something like that, should penetrate his obviously Thick Skull and get the message through to him.

"I might be paranoid, but I feel like it would be my fault if anything happen to him"

Utter nonsense. It wouldn't be your fault, nor should you feel like it would be.

If he can be convinced by statistics, there are numerous ones that show how dangerous Thailand's roads are. The death rate is staggering - IMO much of that has to do with not wearing helmets, and driving drunk.

I've seen a kid lying in a pool of blood on the road after falling over on his bike - I am not sure he was actually dead but if not then very close to it. the same accident with helmet would be a couple of scratches and no hard feelings. If you happen to come off the bike at normal speeds, which can happen, and bump your head on the road then a helmet makes the difference between death and walking away. So that's my reasoning.

That said if you go to the local 7/11 through a few sois then you don't need a helmet, clearly. Use common sense.

Well your friend is a selfish idiot, maybe he does not care if he dies or is injured so bad he has to be looked after for the rest of his life

His friends and family will mourn him when he dies and some poor sod will have to look after him if he get incapacited for life.

The chance of an accident on a bike is so high in Thailand it beggers belief why anybody would ride without protection.

My old man used to tell me " son you can learn something from everybody even the idiots you learn what not to do"

Riding a 2 wheeler is 2000%-4000% more dangerous than riding in a 4 wheel vehicle. (US and Oz studies)

Wearing a helmet reduces the chance of being killed by 40%. (Same studies)

He crossed the safety Rubicon when he got on a 2 wheeler.

Take out life insurance on him and let him know you have done so and that you would appreciate it if he would keep on avoiding wearing protection.

OP can you put me in contact with him please as I would like to take out a policy on him as well.

couple mates of mine years ago would ride drunk, I was always telling them dudes that is so stupid your gonna get hurt, "nah she'll be right..." anyways two up riding home from the pub, spud steering, Matt on the back, ran into a pole, spud died at the scene and Matt lost his right arm at the shoulder...

above has got stuff all to do with the helmet question - just bad things can happen to stupid people... nb I didn't feel bad about what happened to them I was not the only rider in our circle that was telling them so it was kind of fait a compli, you are probably wasting your time and definitely do not worry yourself over his actions.

no about his contact details please..

OP - offer your friend 1,000 baht in cash if he will let you run up behind him and hit him on the head with a brick, twice. First time he can wear a helmet, second time he can't. That should be more effective than a page of statistics or a video. He can use the 1,000 baht to buy some betadine and sticking plasters.

.. Bloke down our way bin riding for over 30 years and never worn a "lid" and appart from losing an ear and getting a gash on his face has never had a problem....

there you go - helmet manufacturers are scalping us, stats on head injuries are fictitious, hospitals don't receive road head trauma victims from motor cycle accidents and those that have been riding for the last 30 years with a helmet on are quite clearly idiots - as opposed to our learned colleague posting the above dribble.

i give up - where's my beer....

OP - offer your friend 1,000 baht in cash if he will let you run up behind him and hit him on the head with a brick, twice. First time he can wear a helmet, second time he can't. That should be more effective than a page of statistics or a video. He can use the 1,000 baht to buy some betadine and sticking plasters.

HAHA - that has to be the best posted advise on here

awesome....clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

.. Bloke down our way bin riding for over 30 years and never worn a "lid" and appart from losing an ear and getting a gash on his face has never had a problem....

I know this guy, his name Scarface Van Gogh, painter and decorator for the Mafia.

He says the "tin lid" keeps falling off, so he gave up.

Assertion Wearing a helmet restricts your coolness.

Reason When you wear a helmet, no one can see how cool you are on the bike.

Example When you die from not wearing your helmet, you are as cool as can be.whistling.gif

People die falling in the shower never mind moving at speed.

An empty road can still be dangerous due to random sand/oil or animals crossing the street.

It is common for nature to take its course like the Dodo bird and baby seals lacking fear and hence getting killed so easily.

Hopefully your buddy understands these basic concepts but it's his decision; you've done what you could.

I just had a wipe out on my Harley 2 days ago when I got cut off by a motorcycle vendor that suddenly decided to veer in front of me.

After I stopped tumbling down the road I stood up and made my way to the far left side. Took off my helmet (skid lid) and made a phone call. Bought a coke from the shop I was at and then I noticed my helmet. Had a rather large, nasty gouge where it seems my head had either slide along a concrete barrier on the side of the road, or from the road itself.

Had I not been wearing the helmet I would have lost a chunk of my skull (larger than a 10 baht coin at least) and instead of needing a new skid lid I'd probably be in the hospital having brain surgery done and hoping I don't get infected.

Example When you die from not wearing your helmet, you are as cool as can be.whistling.gif

S When you add an "s" it makes the appropriate acronym...

Example When you die from not wearing your helmet, you are as cool as can be