Eggs for Breakfast

uli65

Yes exactly. Eggs are great nutrition. Just don't go crazy with them. Not that complicated.

According to USDA, eggs legally cannot be called nutritious, or good nutrition or healthy, or good for you or anything that has a legal term attached to it. You can say they are "nutrition dense' is ok because there is no official definition of "nutrition dense"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtGf2FuzKo4

I don't care much what happens in the USA.....

I doubt the USA cares much about you or what you care about.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knock on wood.

Nobody is stopping you.

I've heard chain smokers make the same claims.

So what?

Most people should be reasonably prudent and moderate.

NEXT ...

Most people should be reasonably prudent and moderate.

So if I am a moderate smoker I am ok ?laugh.png

No, you're doomed. You asked!

I love eggs, too , but where do you buy eggs in Thailand ? in supermarket, like Makro, or like me now, in a shop at the market where it's writen in Thai language " eggs direct from the farm " ?

I know, same for other animals, that the way of feeding the hens is important ; do you trust " farm feeding in Thailand " ?

I love eggs, too , but where do you buy eggs in Thailand ? in supermarket, like Makro, or like me now, in a shop at the market where it's writen in Thai language " eggs direct from the farm " ?

I know, same for other animals, that the way of feeding the hens is important ; do you trust " farm feeding in Thailand " ?

Where else would they feed them?

Only farmyard poultry in Thailand, no poultry factory like this one ? I am sure the quality of eggs, meat and health are not the same

I see every day streets sellers who have several hundreds eggs in their pickup , where do they come from ? family farm ?

I just ask

Edited by Aforek

Recent scientific research has suggested that eggs do not need to be demonized. But I think in your case, you may well be eating too many. Two a day plus there is the issue of the type of fat they are being cooked in when not boiled. If I were you, I would strongly consider cutting back the amount to a more reasonable level.

If you do decide to not cut down, it may well be the fat used to cook the eggs is an even bigger health issue.

You can find thousands of links, but here is one:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

This research doesn’t give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life. (3) You also need to pay attention to the “trimmings” that come with your eggs. To your cardiovascular system, scrambled eggs, salsa, and a whole wheat English muffin are a far different meal than scrambled eggs with cheese, sausages, home fries, and white toast.

To repeat, I DO think you are probably eating TOO MANY eggs.

Personally, I love to eat eggs but when I have eggs for breakfast (2 - 3 times a week) I make a point of not eating another meal that day that has eggs. If nothing else, for variety's sake. When I fry them I use low heat olive oil but at restaurants in Thailand I suppose they're usually using palm oil, and LOTS of it as well.

Cheers.

You can be absolutely certain that nearly every restaurant in Thailand and elsewhere uses very low quality cooking oil. Considering that olive, safflower and rice bran oil, are the only real healthy oils out there, that will not break the bank, one can be certain that 99.9% of all restaurants are not using them.

Actually this thinking has changed (though doctors educated in the old school who have not kept up with the times may not know this).

In the olden days when all cholesterol was considered bad, eggs were considered bad. As understanding of different types of cholesterol evolved, and the role played by other nutrients as well, the picture became more nuanced. Eggs do contain LDL cholesterol (but only in the yolk - the white is pure high quality protein with no fat of any kind). but the yolks are also rich in HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol) and other important nutrients. And HDL cholesterol helps to protect against the harmful effects of LDL.

I'm afraid this isn't quite correct.

The cholesterol contained in HDL and LDL is chemically absolutely identical, it is the same chemical substance, and eating different amounts of HDL or LDL particles is not the cause of having different amounts of these in your blood: in the gut LDL or HDL particles that you might eat (which in any case in eggs are not anything like the same particles that exist in human blood) are just broken down to their components by the digestive system, and enter the circulatory system as chemical cholesterol indistinguishable from that obtained from any food source, including red meat.

So this is nothing to do with eating HDL or LDL cholesterol: these designations only meaningful in terms of ongoing metabolism. The reason why high HDL cholesterol in the blood is considered "good" is because bulk HDL particles function in the whole body to bind to arterial cells, where they remove cholesterol that is building up in the blood vessel wall and carry it back to the liver where it can be excreted. So high HDL cholesterol is "good", not because it is a special chemical kind of cholesterol, but because if you have a lot of HDL cholesterol it shows that you have a lot of HDL particles and so this pathway (so called "reverse cholesterol transport" ) is highly active.

Similarly high LDL cholesterol is termed "bad" because in the body cholesterol is transported out of the liver, where most of the body's cholesterol is made, by being packaged into particles which end up as LDL . This LDL carries cholesterol to be deposited in arterial cells and so causes the build up of cholesterol in arteries that triggers heart disease. High LDL cholesterol is bad because it shows you have more of these particles therefore a greater likelihood of this arterial build up of cholesterol happening.

Initial assumptions that the amount of cholesterol you eat primarily controls the amount of cholesterol in your blood were soon disproved, and this message (though familiar to clinicians and scientists since the 1980's) has taken a long time to filter through to the public.

In fact the effects of eating cholesterol in your food on the amount of cholesterol in your blood are small, and very variable between individuals. Some people barely respond at all with any increase in blood cholesterol despite huge egg consumption: there is a famous case of an obsessive compulsive 88 year old man man who ate 30 eggs a day for decades. He didn't have high cholesterol at all, or any signs of heart disease. http://www.nejm.org/...199103283241306

Instead it is other lipids that control the ongoing fat metabolism in your body, and how much cholesterol your body makes, and therefore how much HDL and LDL cholesterol you end up with.The amount of saturated fat in your diet has a far greater effect on LDL cholesterol than the amount of cholesterol that you eat. The biochemical basis for this is now very well understood (genes that control manufacture of cholesterol in cells are switched on by proteins that respond to saturated fat).

Eggs in moderation
In general, studies show that for healthy people with no history of heart disease, diabetes or high blood cholesterol, eating an average of one egg per day (or seven eggs per week) does not increase the long-term risk of heart disease.

But keep this mind, one egg yolk has 70% of daily recommended cholesterol. If your cholesterol is high you should cut down on egg yolks.

Go to work on an egg............I probably eat upto 20 a week as always have after workouts, The body lives on protein which eggs are a great source of.

That is your free will choice to recklessly eat that many eggs, but you cross a line by seemingly promoting your behavior to everyone else.

Recent scientific research has suggested that eggs do not need to be demonized. But I think in your case, you may well be eating too many. Two a day plus there is the issue of the type of fat they are being cooked in when not boiled. If I were you, I would strongly consider cutting back the amount to a more reasonable level.

If you do decide to not cut down, it may well be the fat used to cook the eggs is an even bigger health issue.

This research doesn’t give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life. (3) You also need to pay attention to the “trimmings” that come with your eggs. To your cardiovascular system, scrambled eggs, salsa, and a whole wheat English muffin are a far different meal than scrambled eggs with cheese, sausages, home fries, and white toast.

Personally, I love to eat eggs but when I have eggs for breakfast (2 - 3 times a week) I make a point of not eating another meal that day that has eggs. If nothing else, for variety's sake. When I fry them I use low heat olive oil but at restaurants in Thailand I suppose they're usually using palm oil, and LOTS of it as well.

Cheers.

You can be absolutely certain that nearly every restaurant in Thailand and elsewhere uses very low quality cooking oil. Considering that olive, safflower and rice bran oil, are the only real healthy oils out there, that will not break the bank, one can be certain that 99.9% of all restaurants are not using them.

Considering that olive, safflower and rice bran oil, are the only real healthy oils out there?? What about coconut cooking oil?

Eggs got a bad reputation for Cholesterol, but it turns out that Cholesterol is a symptom of something else and not a cause. Even if you eat zero Cholesterol your liver will produce it if it is needed.

My suggestion (I'm not a doctor), would be eat all the eggs you like, from the best source you can find, but also take large amounts of Vit C, L-Lysine, and some L-Proline, and there will be little need for the Cholesterol other than things like being a building block for testosterone and a few other things.

Edited by Shiver

Yes, go ahead and eat two eggs per day. Don't listen to all this nonsense about eating too much cholesterol or saturated fat. That dogma has been thoroughly trounced in recent years. (In fact, an egg has more monounsaturated fat than saturated fat.)

If you have any doubt about their effect on your blood chemistry, go and test it. It's cheap and easy to do in Thailand and far more productive than armchair theorizing.. I'd be surprised if it has any effect at all.

Everything the so called Medics said 30 - 40 years ago they now say okay :

NO alcohol & now, 1 or 2 drinks every day not bad but actually good for you,

cafein bad and now drink 4 to 5 cups CAFFEINATED coffee/coke make a healthy heart, meat good then now maybe cancer producer, low fat diet best but just yesterday say low fat MIGHT be good but not sure so I think everytime the

Doctor's parking lot empty, they create new reason to make appointments. It is a fact, that as a profession, Doctors die before the rest of the

population so, I say, gorge yourself on whatever tastes good !

Moderation is key.Maybe don't eat them more than 2 days A week.3 the most.You can try Oatmeal,cream of wheat.Maybe cold ce rial.Maybe every now and then pancakes or French toast.

I too like eggs and have often wondered if I eat too many. My favorite breakfast is pork sausage gravy, with onion fried potatoes, sunny-side up eggs, bacon and buttermilk biscuits--scones to some--gin bloody Mary, and black coffee. I eat it or something similar maybe once a week.

This morning was it; I had a three-egg, bacon, onion, tomato, and cheese omelet with biscuits, black coffee, and tomato juice.

Once a week I eat fruits, crepes, waffles, pancakes, cereal, porridge, milk or yogurt, muffins or toast, jellies and jams, and coffee or tea in any combination is a great breakfast too.

Once or twice a week, I like garlic fried rice with bacon, or rice porridge with fish, or noodle soup with dimsum.

About twice a week I enjoy papaya with lime--or pamelo, mango, pineapple, bananas--whole wheat muffins or toast and strong black coffee.

Another two or three days a week, I won't awake until afternoon, so I have lunch. Had meatloaf, cauliflower, and salad yesterday.

Sorry guys, got carried away; the wife is making spicy chicken fingers, chips, and carrot sticks with gorgonzola dip--one of my favorite lunches.

You should reduce your egg intake, too much cholesterol. Poached, boiled or scrambled is much better than fried, which increases fat intake.

I would average about 5 - 6 eggs per week, including what I get in dishes such as pad siew.

Moderation is key.Maybe don't eat them more than 2 days A week.3 the most.You can try Oatmeal,cream of wheat.Maybe cold ce rial.Maybe every now and then pancakes or French toast.

I too like eggs and have often wondered if I eat too many. My favorite breakfast is pork sausage gravy, with onion fried potatoes, sunny-side up eggs, bacon and buttermilk biscuits--scones to some--gin bloody Mary, and black coffee. I eat it or something similar maybe once a week.

This morning was it; I had a three-egg, bacon, onion, tomato, and cheese omelet with biscuits, black coffee, and tomato juice.

Once a week I eat fruits, crepes, waffles, pancakes, cereal, porridge, milk or yogurt, muffins or toast, jellies and jams, and coffee or tea in any combination is a great breakfast too.

Once or twice a week, I like garlic fried rice with bacon, or rice porridge with fish, or noodle soup with dimsum.

About twice a week I enjoy papaya with lime--or pamelo, mango, pineapple, bananas--whole wheat muffins or toast and strong black coffee.

Another two or three days a week, I won't awake until afternoon, so I have lunch. Had meatloaf, cauliflower, and salad yesterday.

Sorry guys, got carried away; the wife is making spicy chicken fingers, chips, and carrot sticks with gorgonzola dip--one of my favorite lunches.

How many kilos do you weigh?

I eat a boiled egg in the morning together with porridge containing either a diced apple or a chopped banana. At night, I include a sliced boiled egg

in a healthy salad. However, I believe it is somewhat balanced in that I seldom eat meat or meat products. I would describe myself as reasonably

healthy although I am doing no exercise at the moment. I think I am correct in saying (although I write under correction) that eggs are the most

"bio-available" protein source there is. That's good enough for me.

Yes, go ahead and eat two eggs per day. Don't listen to all this nonsense about eating too much cholesterol or saturated fat. That dogma has been thoroughly trounced in recent years. (In fact, an egg has more monounsaturated fat than saturated fat.)

If you have any doubt about their effect on your blood chemistry, go and test it. It's cheap and easy to do in Thailand and far more productive than armchair theorizing.. I'd be surprised if it has any effect at all.

Blood chemistry tests in Thailand are cheap for a reason. The tests here only measure a quarter of the parameters that are tested in Western pathology services. I was somewhat shocked when my Thai g/f's blood tests took only two hours for results to come back. In Australia it's more like three days. Then when I looked at her test results, I realised why.

However, it is nice to see a TV poster who has a good opinion of the Thai medical profession.

Blood chemistry tests in Thailand are cheap for a reason. The tests here only measure a quarter of the parameters that are tested in Western pathology services. I was somewhat shocked when my Thai g/f's blood tests took only two hours for results to come back. In Australia it's more like three days. Then when I looked at her test results, I realised why.

However, it is nice to see a TV poster who has a good opinion of the Thai medical profession.

Hmm, exactly which blood chemistry tests that are done here do you feel are inferior, and in which way?

Cheers.

Considering that olive, safflower and rice bran oil, are the only real healthy oils out there?? What about coconut cooking oil?

Although coconut oil is the ester of a saturated fatty acid, it is healthy because the carbon chain length of the fatty acid is short ( C12). Surprising canola isn't included, just as healthy and mass-produced in many countries. Although the health freaks would probably hate it because almost all canola crops are genetically modified.

Hmm, exactly which blood chemistry tests that are done here do you feel are inferior, and in which way?

Did I say they were inferior? I wouldn't know, I don't audit laboratories anymore. What I did say was they were done fast, and far fewer tests were done. I'm sure you can work it out from there - you seem to be an intelligent person.

Two fried eggs every day might be a problem with bad cholesterol, but truly speaking its all about a balanced diet meal, ie fruit, veg, fibre, fluids (water) and some moderate exercise!

Enjoy your breakfast but balance it out!

Edited by Pdavies99

Did I say they were inferior? I wouldn't know, I don't audit laboratories anymore. What I did say was they were done fast, and far fewer tests were done. I'm sure you can work it out from there - you seem to be an intelligent person.

"Did I say they were inferior"?

Yes, when you wrote:

"Blood chemistry tests in Thailand are cheap for a reason. The tests here only measure a quarter of the parameters that are tested in Western pathology services".

And before you go there, inferior means:

"situated lower down "

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inferior

Sooo, which additional test should have been done, you wrote, "far fewer tests were done"?

If your feathers begin to fall out...if you have the uncontrollable desire to crow in the early morning...If you beat on your chest and declare you are the "cock of the walk"...then you may want to cut back on the eggs...smile.png

Anyone remember Edwina Currie MP?.

She had half the UK population chucking thier eggs in the bin qith her sotry as to the danger of eggs.

Just enjoy your eggs for breakfast, although I would prefer a variance of diets.

Last year I read a serious report about a guy who had Christmas dinner every day - with all the trimmings.