Eggs for Breakfast

uli65

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no why?

egg is healthy...try to buy organic one. Some chemicals fed to chicken look for the body like Estrogen. Causing problems for males. For women no problem.

2 eggs is not much animal protein. If you eat every day 1 kg beef additional to the eggs and pork than there might be problems.

Recent scientific research has suggested that eggs do not need to be demonized. But I think in your case, you may well be eating too many. Two a day plus there is the issue of the type of fat they are being cooked in when not boiled. If I were you, I would strongly consider cutting back the amount to a more reasonable level.

If you do decide to not cut down, it may well be the fat used to cook the eggs is an even bigger health issue.

You can find thousands of links, but here is one:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

This research doesn’t give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life. (3) You also need to pay attention to the “trimmings” that come with your eggs. To your cardiovascular system, scrambled eggs, salsa, and a whole wheat English muffin are a far different meal than scrambled eggs with cheese, sausages, home fries, and white toast.

To repeat, I DO think you are probably eating TOO MANY eggs.

Personally, I love to eat eggs but when I have eggs for breakfast (2 - 3 times a week) I make a point of not eating another meal that day that has eggs. If nothing else, for variety's sake. When I fry them I use low heat olive oil but at restaurants in Thailand I suppose they're usually using palm oil, and LOTS of it as well.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

I too like eggs, unfortunately eggs do not like me.

I have high cholesterol and take medication for it. The cholesterol is not a function of my diet, as much as it is my physiology, my body naturally produces cholesterol. Even when I watched my cholesterol intake, to the point of consuming zero cholesterol containing foods I had high cholesterol.

on the other hand, my ex-wife would eat pizza every day and have perfect cholesterol.sad.png Grrrrrrr

So difficult to say, compounding the difficulty are the number of contradicting studies on the subject.

So my point is. How is your cholesterol? your blood pressure? your weight? if everything is good......

I have high cholesterol and take medication for it. The cholesterol is not a function of my diet, as much as it is my physiology, my body naturally produces cholesterol. Even when I watched my cholesterol intake, to the point of consuming zero cholesterol containing foods I had high cholesterol.

on the other hand, my ex-wife would eat pizza every day and have perfect cholesterol.sad.png Grrrrrrr

So difficult to say, compounding the difficulty are the number of contradicting studies on the subject.

So my point is. How is your cholesterol? your blood pressure? your weight? if everything is good......

Lack of exercise causes many medical problems.

Lack of exercise causes many medical problems.

Don't disagree with you

But I was always very active, went to the gym at least three times a week, avid tennis player , racket ball etc. 5' 10" weight 165 lbs 32" waist

Work in the High-rise construction industry in Manhattan , on my feet 12 hrs a day, up and down buildings all day.and still....

On the other hand my ex-wife, commercial loan administrator with Bank BNP Paribas

sat on her ass all day eats crap, and in perfect health

I guess, a combination of many components contributes to health, and a huge component is diet, but not the only one. and each component to a different degree for different people But one cant discount the genetic cards one was dealt with. So one needs to take general guidelines as what they are, General. And adapt these general linguine to their physiology with out compromising their lifestyle if not necessary.

I have two poached eggs on wholemeal toast every second day for breakfast, plus half an avocado when I can. I also eat walnuts and almonds. My cholesterol levels have been back in the normal range for a few years now. I could exercise more than I do. LDL 110, HDL 47, Trigs.108

I like too much eating eggs. 2 or 3 every morning for more than 20 years, most of the time boiled cooked with buttered bread fingers. Sometimes 5 or 6 the days of great hunger when I was younger.

recette-e14289-oeuf-a-la-coque.jpg

Obviously people who spend their life on internet will cite studies about the dangers of egg, bread and butter also, in short everything is good ...Fortunately you will find roughly as much expert to state otherwise.

I have absolutely no health problem, annual check up is regularly good and my cholesterol level normal.

Enjoy your meal !

Edited by happy Joe

Recent scientific research has suggested that eggs do not need to be demonized. But I think in your case, you may well be eating too many. Two a day plus there is the issue of the type of fat they are being cooked in when not boiled. If I were you, I would strongly consider cutting back the amount to a more reasonable level.

If you do decide to not cut down, it may well be the fat used to cook the eggs is an even bigger health issue.

You can find thousands of links, but here is one:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

This research doesn’t give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life. (3) You also need to pay attention to the “trimmings” that come with your eggs. To your cardiovascular system, scrambled eggs, salsa, and a whole wheat English muffin are a far different meal than scrambled eggs with cheese, sausages, home fries, and white toast.

To repeat, I DO think you are probably eating TOO MANY eggs.

Personally, I love to eat eggs but when I have eggs for breakfast (2 - 3 times a week) I make a point of not eating another meal that day that has eggs. If nothing else, for variety's sake. When I fry them I use low heat olive oil but at restaurants in Thailand I suppose they're usually using palm oil, and LOTS of it as well.

Cheers.

Our learned friend is EGGSACTLY right. Avoid having them fried in Palm Oil or worse yet, FAT....use a good brand of OLIVE OIL.

Yes definitely, eggs are

- High in cholesterol 164 mg when it should be less than 90 mg to be good for you.

- Contain 1% of saturated fat, which to high to be considered healthy.

- Contain twice the calories of any low fat food

These are all contributors to the number killer in the West: Heart diseases.

Eggs, cooked
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 medium — 44g
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Calories
3%
Total Fat
5g
7%
Saturated Fat
1g
7%
Trans Fat
Cholesterol
164mg
55%
Sodium
55mg
2%
Total Carbohydrate
0g
0%
Dietary Fiber
0%
Sugars
0g
Protein
6g
11%
Vitamin A
5%
Vitamin C
0%
Calcium
2%
Iron
3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calories needs.
Edited by aneliane

Two soft boiled organic eggs daily should not be a problem. In fact they are a very healthy option for most people far better than most cereals and of course they sustain you for a good four hours or so and protein is very important especially in the morning.

I saw a tv show in Oz where a doctor ate about twenty eggs a week for a month and then got all his blood checked and his number were actually better than before.

Before moving to Thailand I can get a stomach problem just with one fry egg.....Very bad..because I like fry eggs very much.

In Thailand I started having one for breakfast..no problem..later two...not problem...later 3 ...not problem

On the last 5 years I am having at lest 3 fry eggs a day......every morning with potatoes, or.with fry bananas.or.in an omelet with veggies..

No problems....and I am 70....

Actually this thinking has changed (though doctors educated in the old school who have not kept up with the times may not know this).

In the olden days when all cholesterol was considered bad, eggs were considered bad. As understanding of different types of cholesterol evolved, and the role played by other nutrients as well, the picture became more nuanced. Eggs do contain LDL cholesterol (but only in the yolk - the white is pure high quality protein with no fat of any kind). but the yolks are also rich in HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol) and other important nutrients. And HDL cholesterol helps to protect against the harmful effects of LDL.

It is not really clear what implication this combination of factors has in terms of optimal diet. The most recent mega-analysis of studies concluded that consumption of one egg a day was not associated with any increased risk of heart disease or stroke except in diabetics (a group already at above average risk) where it did seem to increase the risk of heart attacks. http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8539

So bottom line at this point in time is that unless you are in a high risk category already, up to an egg a day is probably OK but there is no data as to the effects of a much higher consumption than that. OP is consuming twice this amount. Hence my suggestion that he make it every other day, and also to use the non-egg day to eat a high fiber breakfast; egg breakfasts are usually low in fiber and fiber has a host of health benefits including helping to keep blood lipids within normal range.

Another option for those really hooked on daily eggs would be to not consume more than one yolk a day (7 in a week). You can make a fine omelet or scrambled eggs with the whites of 2 eggs plus the yolk of only one of them and it will have half the fat but all the protein (you can also of course just have only egg whites but you'll notice the taste difference much more). Anyhow - based on the evidence available to date, which may of course change, best advice for the average person is to try to keep the yolks to just 7 a week, whether 2 every other day or one a day. If you are in a high risk group (diabetic, or suffering from elevated LDL already) then fewer might be wise.

Actually this thinking has changed (though doctors educated in the old school who have not kept up with the times may not know this).

In the olden days when all cholesterol was considered bad, eggs were considered bad. As understanding of different types of cholesterol evolved, and the role played by other nutrients as well, the picture became more nuanced. Eggs do contain LDL cholesterol (but only in the yolk - the white is pure high quality protein with no fat of any kind). but the yolks are also rich in HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol) and other important nutrients. And HDL cholesterol helps to protect against the harmful effects of LDL.

It is not really clear what implication this combination of factors has in terms of optimal diet. The most recent mega-analysis of studies concluded that consumption of one egg a day was not associated with any increased risk of heart disease or stroke except in diabetics (a group already at above average risk) where it did seem to increase the risk of heart attacks. http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8539

So bottom line at this point in time is that unless you are in a high risk category already, up to an egg a day is probably OK but there is no data as to the effects of a much higher consumption than that. OP is consuming twice this amount. Hence my suggestion that he make it every other day, and also to use the non-egg day to eat a high fiber breakfast; egg breakfasts are usually low in fiber and fiber has a host of health benefits including helping to keep blood lipids within normal range.

Another option for those really hooked on daily eggs would be to not consume more than one yolk a day (7 in a week). You can make a fine omelet or scrambled eggs with the whites of 2 eggs plus the yolk of only one of them and it will have half the fat but all the protein (you can also of course just have only egg whites but you'll notice the taste difference much more). Anyhow - based on the evidence available to date, which may of course change, best advice for the average person is to try to keep the yolks to just 7 a week, whether 2 every other day or one a day. If you are in a high risk group (diabetic, or suffering from elevated LDL already) then fewer might be wise.

Well old school....when I was at University it was presented as old myth.....Somewhen 1993-98. And that the fact that the body produces and consume far more cholesterol than you would eat. So eating more or less has only minor impact.

A shame that after 20 years it is still not known by some docs.

Yes exactly. Eggs are great nutrition. Just don't go crazy with them. Not that complicated.

According to USDA, eggs legally cannot be called nutritious, or good nutrition or healthy, or good for you or anything that has a legal term attached to it. You can say they are "nutrition dense' is ok because there is no official definition of "nutrition dense"

Yes exactly. Eggs are great nutrition. Just don't go crazy with them. Not that complicated.

According to USDA, eggs legally cannot be called nutritious, or good nutrition or healthy, or good for you or anything that has a legal term attached to it. You can say they are "nutrition dense' is ok because there is no official definition of "nutrition dense"

I don't care much what happens in the USA.....