Biden opted out on 2016 Dem race because he 'couldn't win'

webfact

Biden opted out on 2016 Dem race because he 'couldn't win'

WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Joe Biden says he decided against running for president because he "couldn't win," not because he would have had too little time to get a campaign up and running.

"I'll be very blunt. If I thought we could've put together the campaign ... that our supporters deserve and our contributors deserved, ... I would have done it," he said in an interview televised Sunday on CBS's "60 Minutes."

In the wide-ranging interview, in which Biden took questions for a time joined by his wife, Jill, the vice president also said he would not have gotten into the race just to stop Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton.

"I've said from the beginning, 'Look, I like Hillary. Hillary and I get along together," he said. "The only reason to run is because ... I still think I could do a better job than anybody else could do."

He used the interview to play down suggestions his announcement not to run, made at the White House Wednesday with President Barack Obama standing at his side, included a jab at Clinton.

At the White House event, Biden lamented partisan bickering in Washington politics and said, "I don't think we should look at Republicans as our enemies." Clinton had made a statement to that effect during the Democratic presidential debate earlier this month.

"That wasn't directed at Hillary," Biden told "60 Minutes."

"That was a reference to Washington, all of Washington," he said.

The 72-year-old Biden also sought in the interview to dispel recurrent rumors that his late son Beau, who died earlier this year at age 46 of brain cancer, had made a last-minute plea to his father to run for president.

Biden said there was no such "Hollywood moment ... Nothing like that ever, ever happened," he said. "Beau all along thought that I should run and I could win."

"But there was not what was sort of made out as kind of this Hollywood-esque thing that, at the last minute, Beau grabbed my hand and said, 'Dad, you've got to run,'" Biden said.

The vice president did say he wants to continue to have a voice in party affairs and will speak up whenever he wishes. He has not endorsed a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination.

"I will make no bones about that," he said. "I don't want the party walking away from what Barack and I did."

Clinton, Sen. Bernie Sanders and former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley remain in the race.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-26

From the OP:

the vice president also said he would not have gotten into the race just to stop Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Very few people indeed thought at any time this year Joe was going to run. Most everyone thought vp was the frosting on his long career, which it is.

Two things primarily, which are the family comes first and foremost. Then there is the stark reality that the old political warhorse Joe Biden was looking at a 2016 derby headlined by the political Secretariat.

It had been tempting to Joe hearing the familiar bugle call given the Republicans led by their right flank have old goats such as yet another Bush who looks okay only next to Huckabee. And the Rs have too many untamed broncos such as Trump and Cruz that buck hard in the starting gate. Then there are the low energy shepards who have a kid named Markey Marco to perk it up behind 'em.

Joe had twice run unsuccessfully for prez and had never had a serious reelection opponent for his seat in the Senate.

All in all Joe and his family made the wise and prudent choice at this stage of their lives. .

Edited by Publicus

No 'Duhhhh'. Somebody tell the clueless VP that Hillary Killery Clinton has already been vetted and selected. All that is left is the Presidential Beauty Pageant and the sham elections.

AP November 9rd 2016

"Trump1 with 80% of the popular vote loses the presidential bid as Hillary wins in an Electoral College landslide victory." -- only in 'democratic' America.

1Change Trump to Bush if you're so inclined. It won't make any difference.

He is correct. He could not win. Too bad, At least he is a nice guy.

In all actuality, Biden diidn't want to get 'Vince Fostered'.

The fix was in.

The right is now reduced to scouring the graveyard to find what the coroner never found even a hint of as the neverending slander campaign is now in a complete breakdown and crisis.

Joe Biden did in fact lose the "silent primary" which involves endorsements, contributors, supporters, a national political infrastructure and front line staff and the like. Fact is Joe Biden ran unsuccessfully for the D party nomination twice before and Biden had never faced a competitive challenge to the Senate seat he'd first won back in 1972.

The 2016 Republican scandal manufacturing industry is now officially failed. Today is the first day of the rest of the campaign.

He is correct. He could not win. Too bad, At least he is a nice guy.

and little personality. So of course he would be unlikely to win a personality cult contest like the US presidential race. Even with massive corporate sponsorship, which he also lacks.