VISA options for staying in Thailand

- Thai girlfriend and baby

- No degree

- 400,000 baht

- 30 years old

Marriage visa is not possible without a degree, right? Is there any way to live in Thailand legally besides having a tourist, education, or VIP visa?

Thank you.

Are you referring to a marriage certificate as a degree. A degree is not need for an extension.

If you were to get you parent hood legitimized you could get an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai with just your name on your child's birth certificate and can show 100k baht in the bank or an income.

If your family went with you to Savannakhet Laos to a apply for the non-o visa there you could get one with no financial proof. The family needs to be with you to prove you are living together as a family (de facto marriage)..

• Like 1

I thought that in order to get a marriage visa, you need a job, in order to get a job, you need a degree. Or am I reading it wrong?

You don't need a job to get a non-o visa or an extension of stay based upon marriage.

You don't need a degree to get a job if you qualify for one.

A non 'O' visa or extension of stay based on marriage doesn't require a degree just a legal marriage (marriage certificate).

• Your best option is to get a non 'O' visa as being the father of a Thai. You only need to be named on the birth certificate for that. You can get one that will last for 1 year but you need to do a border run every 90 to 150 days. Or a single entry that can be extended by 1 year.
  • If you want a 1 year extension of stay you will need a single entry non 'O' visa, 400k in the bank and be the legal father. Being named on the birth certificate isn't enough. You'd need to be legalised through a court because you're not married.
Edited by elviajero

• 1 month later...

Do I need proof of income with a non O visa?

The 400,000baht that I keep in my account, can that be touched after I am approved for the visa? Is the money still accessible?

Can I keep applying for this same visa every year?

The baby is due in March, is getting married our best option so that I can stay here?

The 400,000baht that I keep in my account, can that be touched after I am approved for the visa? Is the money still accessible?

The baby is due in March, is getting married our best option so that I can stay here?

It is 400k baht or 40k baht to get an extension at immigration. A non-o visa does not require an income or money in the bank dependent upon where at which embassy or consulate you apply for it at.

You can use the 400k baht during the year as long as you have it in the bank for 2 months for the next extension.

You can keep getting one year extension every year.

Getting married would be the the easiest option. If not married you would have to legitimize your parenthood by going through a court which takes a considerable amount of time and it is also not cheap.

• If you want a single entry non 'O' then no. If you want a multiple entry non 'O' then Savannakhet is the only consulate locally you can get one without proof of income.
  • A multiple entry non 'O' visa can enable you to stay here for nearly 17 months before needing a new visa or extension of stay. But you need to exit/re-enter every 90 days. 60 day extensions are available (1,900 baht) to delay the exit to 150 days.
  • Extensions of stay based on marriage. The 400k only has to be in the account for 2 months prior to the application.
  • Extensions of stay based on being a parent. The 400k only needs to be in your account on the day of application.
  • Once the extension is approved you can do anything with the money.
  • If you are married you automatically become a legal parent. If not married you will need to go to the court to become the legal parent which is easy with the mothers consent.
  • If you become the legal father you don't need to get married and can get either non 'O' visas or extensions of stay as easily as if married.

• 1 month later...

To make things worse, I'm on overstay since Dec 2013. I was caught by immigration back in 2014 at the airport when I was flying domestic and I had to give a backhander on the spot to stay. Immigration police let me leave the airport on overstay.

My trip was supposed to be a trip, but as I started making friends I found it hard to leave here. It's difficult for people under 50 to stay here without a work permit.

Then I met a wonderful girl and we have a baby on the way in March.

Please help me step-by-step to resolve this conflict so I can stay here legally. The new rules are going to be enforced right around when my son is born.

Step 1. Go to the airport with 20,0000baht.

2.?

3.?

Where can I fly to to get a visa? What visa am I applying for? Should I wait until my son is born or go before? Can I have a visa for being a father, or do I need to be married for that?

Thanks for reading.

You no need a degree for Non - O (marriage visa)

You need it when for WP for certain profession. I personally know people without degree holding WP. Put your money in the bank get registered married. Go to the immigration for change of visa to Non-o. (3months first time) after that extend for one year( the 400k needs to be in the bank for 2month this time round).

• Like 1

To make things worse, I'm on overstay since Dec 2013. I was caught by immigration back in 2014 at the airport when I was flying domestic and I had to give a backhander on the spot to stay. Immigration police let me leave the airport on overstay.

My trip was supposed to be a trip, but as I started making friends I found it hard to leave here. It's difficult for people under 50 to stay here without a work permit.

Please help me step-by-step to resolve this conflict so I can stay here legally. The new rules are going to be enforced right around when my son is born.

2.?

3.?

Where can I fly to to get a visa? What visa am I applying for? Should I wait until my son is born or go before? Can I have a visa for being a father, or do I need to be married for that?

Thanks for reading.

• Leave asap and get a tourist visa from a neighbouring country. Avoid KL and Singapore.
  • You'll get 60 days on re-entry which can be extended by 30 days.
  • Once the baby is born, if needed, you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay as the parent of a Thai.
  • Although you will be the parent you will not be considered the legal father of your child in Thai law because you aren't married. So you should apply to the court to become the legal parent asap. Easy with the cooperation of the mother.
  • While your applying to legalise your parenthood or once t's been granted go to a neighbouring country and get a single entry non 'O' visa.
  • You'll be granted a 90 days stay on re-entry. Within the last 30 days of the 90 you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay IF you are the legal father AND can show a 400k balance in your bank on the day you apply (no seasoned funds needed) or a certified income of 40k per month.
  • Like 1

<p>

2.?

3.?

Thanks for reading.

• Leave asap and get a tourist visa from a neighbouring country. Avoid KL and Singapore.
  • Once the baby is born, if needed, you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay as the parent of a Thai.
  • Although you will be the parent you will not be considered the legal father of your child in Thai law because you aren't married. So you should apply to the court to become the legal parent asap. Easy with the cooperation of the mother.
  • While your applying to legalise your parenthood or once t's been granted go to a neighbouring country and get a single entry non 'O' visa.
  • You'll be granted a 90 days stay on re-entry. Within the last 30 days of the 90 you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay IF you are the legal father AND can show a 400k balance in your bank on the day you apply (no seasoned funds needed) or a certified income of 40k per month.
Step one- Buy a one way ticket BKK - Vientiane Laos. Makes sure it's BKK not DMK. So you can try Laoairline/ Bangkok airway. Then on the day of departure wear something respectful, when it's your turn go to the officer tell him politely as you hand over your passport that you overstayed. He will check for your record and ask a senior Officer over. You will then be brought over to the payment counter and wait for them to call you. After paying the fine 20,000 you are free to go. Remember when they ask you a question reply politely.

Step 2- try to be in Laos on Monday / Wednesday. Go to the Thai consulate in the morning around 8Am you will see people approaching ask if you want forms. You can hire them to write one for you take a picture & also photocopy of passport. Do not pay more than 250THB / 60000 kip for the whole service. You will need to bring the application in yourself. Tell the guy writing the form you want a Single Entry Tourist visa. as you don't have any paper work this is the only visa you can get.The officer will not open your passport on that day to see if you overstay you will instantly be issued with a que no. For collection the next day.

Step 3 - go collect the passport and come back to Thailand. Prepare 20,000thb cash in case boarder officer ask for proof of Fund.

After this 3steps you will have a valid 60days visa. From here you can decide what kind of a visa you want in order to stay in Thailand. Non-O marriage / Non-B work permit / ED student visa.

I wish you good luck in clearing the overstay. This is my personally experience I don't know if you'll experience everything the same as me or you'll be unlucky someway. There's no 100%. But going to Viantiane you have 80%. I cleared my overstay on the 17/1/2016

Edited by Jackieiam
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm leaving soon. I would prefer to go Phnom Phenh over Laos because I've never been to Laos. I've also heard that Laos I might be rejected boarding the plane?

Where should I go for the easiest and highest chance of having a smooth departure and getting a visa issued?

I'm leaving soon. I would prefer to go Phnom Phenh over Laos because I've never been to Laos. I've also heard that Laos I might be rejected boarding the plane?

Where should I go for the easiest and highest chance of having a smooth departure and getting a visa issued?

You now have less than two weeks to get things sorted out.

There have been reports of the airlines denying boarding for flights to Laos

Not sure you would be able to get visa in Phenom Phenh. They can be difficult at times. Not sure they would do it if they see an overstay.

There is a report ( Update on clearing big overstay ) of a person crossing at the bridge in Nong Khai. and clearing a 3 year overstay. The safest way to get there would be to fly to Udon Thani and then take the van from the airport to the bridge,

• Like 1

Just fly to penang or udon thani. Personally I would not be travelling to border NOW on overstay. Always chance of being checked, even if remote. Stop stuffing about. Clear overstay. DM will be fine. Obtain a setv. Then follow ideas outlined by the experts above such as elvajero, ubon etc. Personally I would prefer going to hcmc but you may need a visa depending on your nationality. AirAsia will be cheapest.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

If I were you I'll be back by now. Why drag till the last days and now they are targeting overstay tourist in pattaya hope you're not in that area. My previous post was a little outdated about taking a flight to Laos because seems that there are reports of overstayer being rejected during boarding. Just Do as Ubon Joe says he's the pro here and always able to suggest the best options. All the best

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting for my son to be born because my girlfriend had c section and had to stay in the hospital for 4 days so I had to take care of our pets at home.

I now have my son's birth certificate where I'm listed as the father. Is this now official even if we are not married? I have both English and Thai certificates.

I will be leaving tomorrow, not sure about KL or Penang. I'd prefer to go to P.P. just because I know the city, but I've heard it's difficult there. I don't mind paying a few extra thousand baht to lubricate the visa process. Last minute suggestions for where I should go?

Thanks for everyone's help btw.

I was waiting for my son to be born because my girlfriend had c section and had to stay in the hospital for 4 days so I had to take care of our pets at home.

I now have my son's birth certificate where I'm listed as the father. Is this now official even if we are not married? I have both English and Thai certificates.

I will be leaving tomorrow, not sure about KL or Penang. I'd prefer to go to P.P. just because I know the city, but I've heard it's difficult there. I don't mind paying a few extra thousand baht to lubricate the visa process. Last minute suggestions for where I should go?

Thanks for everyone's help btw.

It doesn't make you the legal parent but it's enough to get a visa.

Dont, whatever you do, go to KL. Penang is your best choice in Malaysia.

• Like 1

<p>

2.?

3.?

Thanks for reading.

Step one- Buy a one way ticket BKK - Vientiane Laos. Makes sure it's BKK not DMK. So you can try Laoairline/ Bangkok airway. Then on the day of departure wear something respectful, when it's your turn go to the officer tell him politely as you hand over your passport that you overstayed. He will check for your record and ask a senior Officer over. You will then be brought over to the payment counter and wait for them to call you. After paying the fine 20,000 you are free to go. Remember when they ask you a question reply politely.

Step 2- try to be in Laos on Monday / Wednesday. Go to the Thai consulate in the morning around 8Am you will see people approaching ask if you want forms. You can hire them to write one for you take a picture & also photocopy of passport. Do not pay more than 250THB / 60000 kip for the whole service. You will need to bring the application in yourself. Tell the guy writing the form you want a Single Entry Tourist visa. as you don't have any paper work this is the only visa you can get.The officer will not open your passport on that day to see if you overstay you will instantly be issued with a que no. For collection the next day.

Step 3 - go collect the passport and come back to Thailand. Prepare 20,000thb cash in case boarder officer ask for proof of Fund.

After this 3steps you will have a valid 60days visa. From here you can decide what kind of a visa you want in order to stay in Thailand. Non-O marriage / Non-B work permit / ED student visa.

I wish you good luck in clearing the overstay. This is my personally experience I don't know if you'll experience everything the same as me or you'll be unlucky someway. There's no 100%. But going to Viantiane you have 80%. I cleared my overstay on the 17/1/2016

I will be going to Penang. Any advice similar to this for Penang's embassy?

For an easy time, use an agent to get the visa for you. They know what is possible, and can negotiate past some roadblocks you cannot. If you have a bank statement with you, it is worth asking the agent if there if a chance of a one-year multiple entry Non Imm O.

• 4 weeks later...

I am back in Thailand with Non O single entry.

I'm confused with the next step because I'm hearing and reading conflicting information.

Right now, we're trying to continue with making me the legal father.

After phoning a lawyer, we've been told that I need a DNA test. This is the first problem, as I've read that a DNA test is not required. They said that the process can take up to 6 months...

They've also said that I need to show a work permit, which makes 0 sense.. Only working people can be a father?

Can someone tell me the proper steps to take without being dicked around. Preferably someone with credible, first hand experience?