McDonald’s denies boycotting fish from Thailand

webfact

What really sucks is the fish sandwich in McDonald's in Thailand. Everywhere else, it is fried. Here they steam it or microwave it...they steam or microwave a breaded fish cutlet.

Soggy sandwich, funky fish, bashed breading...with sauce.

YUCK!

Once a month, I get an egg McMuffin with ham and cheese.

About once every two months I get a burger, usually two cheeseburgers, then slap the meat and cheese into one bun and toss the other bread to the birds because two singles is cheaper than a double, and when I rebuild I get two pieces of cheese, where the double as it comes only has one.

No, it's not rocket science, but it works.

Edited by FangFerang

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have never eaten at McD, but i know all the sheep and poor do....so i buy shares of McD and make millions as the poor eat bad meat, fish, and enjoy spending a few dollars on bad food...

love McD, they control the masses!!

Yes, and how many poor in thailand have you seen in McD? its for the thai middle class who want to be western...

Everyone, including Thailand should be boycotting Thai fish until the slavery issue is resolved.

Period.

I wouldn't count on it to be resolved in our lifetime.... so no more fish or buy from the local fishermans shop?

I stopped eating fish, but really love shrimp and missed fish in my diet.

I took the time to talk to and get to know some of the people who sell fish ( and shrimp ) at my local morning market, and found a couple who only sell fish and shrimp their family raise on their own fish farm....no slaves involved.

Yes, I even visited one of the fish farms to be sure I wasn't being sold a story too.

Fresh Coconut Shrimp...it's what's for dinner tonight!

post-147745-0-30908300-1445921234_thumb.

and why would anyone eat or buy anything from McDonalds?

The Double Quarter Pounder with Double Cheese, as sold in Auckland.

You have to do it at least once in your life.thumbsup.gif

Same in the UK, they are great ! Sadly they don't seem to have them anywhere in Thailand.

i have never eaten at McD, but i know all the sheep and poor do....so i buy shares of McD and make millions as the poor eat bad meat, fish, and enjoy spending a few dollars on bad food...

You obviously don't buy shares of McDonalds or you would notice the company is hurting financially. lol

Here we go Mc. bashing , tomorrow what ....BK bashing. I like both but here in the styx I only get to visit either once every 2 months or so.

Yo NP,

Have you tried a "pork burger with cheese" from 7/11?

I was Jonesing for a McD. burger and the Mrs. brought one of these for me. I like it and now want them more than McD's.

Next I'd like to find Phila. style pizza/hoagies/or cheese steaks. lol but a bit off topic.

Here we go Mc. bashing , tomorrow what ....BK bashing. I like both but here in the styx I only get to visit either once every 2 months or so.

Yo NP,

Have you tried a "pork burger with cheese" from 7/11?

I was Jonesing for a McD. burger and the Mrs. brought one of these for me. I like it and now want them more than McD's.

Next I'd like to find Phila. style pizza/hoagies/or cheese steaks. lol but a bit off topic.

I once tried a bite of a 7/11 burger and throw the rest away......you can't eat that, or?

(It was a few years ago, maybe they have improved the quality)

Is there really fish in the fishburger?

..possibly but it goes in a bun with:

Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono and Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Enzymes, Guar Gum, Calcium Peroxide), Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Calcium Propionate and/or Sodium Propionate (Preservatives), Soy Lecithin.

Instead of the Thai person saying "they are clearly against us" and "are you really Thai?" perhaps what they should be boycotting is the fishing industry because of the shameful practices of slave labour.

Macdonalds have already said the sign was a fake but had it been true I would applaud their refusal to use Thai fish whilst such terrible practices are going on. I would certainly not blame for them for boycotting Thai fish in protest of the slave labour conditions under which it was caught.

So, perhaps the online blogger should ask himself / herself if they are really Thai shouldn't they be protesting about their countries use of slave labour? Surely the use of slave labour and shameful record on people trafficking is what you need to tackle not boycotting whether you buy a Mcfish in a bun. Seriously, THINK and get your priorities right.

Everyone, including Thailand should be boycotting Thai fish until the slavery issue is resolved.

Period.

I wouldn't count on it to be resolved in our lifetime.... so no more fish or buy from the local fishermans shop?

I stopped eating fish, but really love shrimp and missed fish in my diet.

I took the time to talk to and get to know some of the people who sell fish ( and shrimp ) at my local morning market, and found a couple who only sell fish and shrimp their family raise on their own fish farm....no slaves involved.

Yes, I even visited one of the fish farms to be sure I wasn't being sold a story too.

Fresh Coconut Shrimp...it's what's for dinner tonight!

attachicon.gifCoconutInfusedShrimp.jpg

And they come with free antibiotics :P

Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono and Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Enzymes, Guar Gum, Calcium Peroxide), Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Calcium Propionate and/or Sodium Propionate (Preservatives), Soy Lecithin.

blimey, I make my own bread,, it contains bread flour, water, olive oil, yeast, little salt and sugar and some elbow grease.

This looks like a Science project.

True or not, they would never admit it with so much at stake for their franchise in Thailand.

Unless of course the public saw it as heroic that they boycott the fish due to slave labour. Then Macdonalds would be running news articles, TV ads, local marketing campaigns, billboard posters, online announcements etc, etc, etc,,

The poor do not eat at Macdonalds, it is expensive by Thai standards. So you make millions out of Macdonalds shares do you,, ha ha ha, yeah right.

Also, there are many rich people who pull up at the drive through in their Bentley Continental. You are so out of touch, or a snob,, not sure which really.

and that is only the bread.....

blimey, I make my own bread,, it contains bread flour, water, olive oil, yeast, little salt and sugar and some elbow grease.

This looks like a Science project.

I have a backing machine....so I removed the elbow grease laugh.png

McD's should have had the balls to say, "We source our fish from Alaska for consistency of taste, so we do not intentionally boycott Thai fish. However, we would boycott Thai fish if we had the choice. We could never condone slavery by giving it our patronage"

So, you lose a few patriotic Thai customers. They're probably the type of customer who arrogantly mess the place up, sit for hours doing business, and don't buy much anyway.

Absolutely right. But then, Mc D's, like every other international financial monsters, don't have balls, or a heart, or moral principles of any kind.

They have :

- shareholders

- image control advisers

- a development policy

- a bottom line

Globalization allows these giants to avoid control where control could be exerted, and the only times when they do things that seem ethical is when their teams of communication wizards tell them that it will ultimately be good for the bottom line. That happens only when the general public gets angry and threatens to boycott.

Which, actually, is good news : the ultimate power is not in the hands of the giants, but those of their customers, who still can vote with their feet. But that's only when they're not too busy pampering their beloved self and playing with their smartphones.

Edited by Yann55

Quote: “They’re so clearly against us, so how can we still go to McDonald’s? Think about it … Are you actually Thai?”

What kind of rhetoric is that? So if one is Thai, it also means one should be ok with ills like slavery? What misplaced nationalism/Thainess.

Thai fish are different. Farang will never get it. Thais have no idea there is slavery in their country.

So all healthy and fresh ingredients then.......whistling.gif Can't beat a garnish of azodicarbonamide and sodium stearoyl lactylate on one's slave-caught fish. licklips.gif

I do not usually go to McDonalds, but now that I know they are not using fish caught by slaves, I will certainly go there and get a fish burger.

Their fish sandwich is preferable to their burgers, IMO, esp. in Thailand. Ever tried to get decent fish & chips in Thailand, except possibly in some British pub-type establishments? Yech!! If McD's ISN'T boycotting Thai fish, maybe they SHOULD BE!!

Edited by hawker9000

"Are you actually Thai?"

Er, no. They're not.

Even if they were Thai, would it be wrong to boycott slave labor caught fish?

Even after living here for 9 years the levels of nationalism in this country shock me sometimes.

Er, yes they are. This entire story and entire issue are about Thailand and McThai. The parent company or "actual McDonald's" or whatever you want to call it are not involved - or to be more precise are not quoted and, so far as we know, not aware of this ridiculous troll and its credulous believers.

The only non-Thai involved in the original story is

http://www.says-it.com/fastfood/mcdonalds.php

The quote "Are you Thai?" was presumably in response to the pictured American-style sign, which as you correctly point out is non-Thai. So, again - no, they're not Thai.

What really sucks is the fish sandwich in McDonald's in Thailand. Everywhere else, it is fried. Here they steam it or microwave it...they steam or microwave a breaded fish cutlet.

Soggy sandwich, funky fish, bashed breading...with sauce.

YUCK!

Once a month, I get an egg McMuffin with ham and cheese.

About once every two months I get a burger, usually two cheeseburgers, then slap the meat and cheese into one bun and toss the other bread to the birds because two singles is cheaper than a double, and when I rebuild I get two pieces of cheese, where the double as it comes only has one.

No, it's not rocket science, but it works.

Guess the bean-counters and product planners were sleeping - or high on something - when they came to this one huh... LOL