Mazda "Familia" Thailand, anyone familiar?

ClareQuilty

My motorbike mechanic has a friend who is selling a cute little "truck" or El Camino style vehicle- Mazda Familia. I researched it a little, seemed to be based on the old Mazda GLC or early 323. Weird thind is this ones about a '93. Anyway seems a stout little machine, for 30,000, and I'd like something for carrying. Anyone familiar with this unusual and perhaps Thailand-unique model?

• Like 1

They are cute little things,but they do drive like an old bone shaker ,good for running around,and you need short legs or there gonna give your legs hell.No power steering,makes them quite heavy at slow speed turns.still plenty of second hand parts to be had for them.at 30.000 you can't buy a lot for that money here...I just sold a 1.4 with lpg fitted.was good fun but soon bored with it...

Thanks guys, I'm definitely not a short-leg style driver- usually put the seat all the way back & max recline even in a Cadillac.. However thus particular truck is a "king cab" one with room behind the seats. I'll test drive it soon & report back.

That year was the 1.4 engine, many were used as the local bus [canopy and bench seats in the rear] there are a few about still used as a bus..

Extended type cab were called 'Supercab' there are a few Estate types here I have seen as well as single cabs..

They had a long run from the 1960's up to about 1988, few minor changes before they had the 1.4 lt engine.

early one here

post-42643-0-54396300-1445996745_thumb.j

one of the last ones

post-42643-0-03434200-1445996836_thumb.j

• Like 1

Extended type cab were called 'Supercab' there are a few Estate types here I have seen as well as single cabs..

They had a long run from the 1960's up to about 1988, few minor changes before they had the 1.4 lt engine.

Yeah, apparently they were made till the late 1990s, amazingly enough. The engine they used was the same as the old Mazda GLC car (or early rear-wheel-drive 323) - a real sturdy old fashioned mill, with a timing chain rather than the risky belts they use nowadays.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Mazda Familia 1400E 5 speed Supercab : fantastic little pickup !!

I just bought my second one (with 120.000 kms) and I love it !!

But as anyone a "Repair Manual" for this car (year 1993) ? I would like to take care myself and internet has nothing about it.

Thanks for help.

post-176163-0-12965800-1460055531_thumb.

Thanks guys, I'm definitely not a short-leg style driver- usually put the seat all the way back & max recline even in a Cadillac.. However thus particular truck is a "king cab" one with room behind the seats. I'll test drive it soon & report back.

Yes ... love to see a couple of pictures of the actual truck ...do post...you could even do the BIB JOB and point ...look forward to your pics.

My wifes brother had one many years ago ... said a good truck then.

Edited by JAS21

• 2 years later...
On 4/8/2016 at 2:00 AM, tartampion said:

Mazda Familia 1400E 5 speed Supercab : fantastic little pickup !!

I just bought my second one (with 120.000 kms) and I love it !!

But as anyone a "Repair Manual" for this car (year 1993) ? I would like to take care myself and internet has nothing about it.

Thanks for help.

post-176163-0-12965800-1460055531_thumb.

Did you have any luck finding a manual?