Bkk->butterworth, ferry to langkawi vs fly to langkawi RT; view, train class, haze SEA

chubby

hello, so, i'm thinking i'd rather just skip penang, and there is the one train overnight to butterworth from hualumphong, arrives butterworth 1300, guess i'd have to overnight at least one night to get an AM ferry of 2 hours to langkawi,

i'm reading in lonelyplanet circa 2007 edition, that book a few days in advance to get the ferry, say i was going this january/february, is it quite possible i'd not be able to pick up the ferry the day after i get to butterworth/georgetown?

from the ferry is there any view of the coastline or are you just out at sea ?

yes, i'm sure its cheap and easier to just fly in to langkawi, but i've always seen those butterworth trains at hualumphong and been curious to take the ride. last trip i got frozen overnight to chiang mai, any advise on a train class, fan only? to butterworth

lastly, IS it likely the haze will be gone by january or certainly february?

The train to Butterworth is all air con. Not too cold.There is a shuttle bus every 15 minutes from the Butterworth train station entrance to the ferry to cross to Penang. There are quite a few hotels at different prices near that end of Georgetown.

That time of the year is busy. There is an afternoon trip. The ferry goes fairly close to some land.

The haze has been worse than normal. No guarantee it will clear.

Book on line https://langkawi-ferry.com/Home/Schedule.aspx

For me it would depend on time, if time is a factor then it's maybe just about double to fly and save a hell of a lot of time, Air Asia will no doubt do all the links but you're 'losing' a night on that train and trains aren't peanuts to really make the difference in cost a major issue, it's more about time, for me

friend is right-and thats also in LP: no need at all to go via Png.

Also: across from station in BTW is the ferry-which lands you at the other side near old-Penang-1,20 MYR (there is a chnage-booth)-only pay To island.

Re train: From the very long train in BKK only 2 (sometimes 3) AC 2nd cl. sleepers actually go on to MY-these are detached in HaadYai. At border there is a 1 hr delay-to change engine and to pass through both emi/immigrations. If money less of a issue-take teksi from Mlay side to ferryport.

Alternative-again in that LP-is to take any Hyai train, take a bus/van to Satun and ferry from there-2/3/day-dep. on season-always room for pax. EMI at Thai side, Immi at Malay side.

Hello,

Yes, you should take this int'l train because it sounds like you've been so curious

about it. I took it once several years ago and really enjoyed the ride.

Here's my experience.

1. The train had been delayed almost 2 hours when it arrived in BTW.

2. All the passengers got all luggage searched at Customs on the Malaysian side.

I've traveled back and forth between Thailand and Malaysia so many times now

but this is the first and last time that I've ever had my bags searched at Customs

on either side.

You can easily spend a night or two in George Town, where I'll always enjoy some

good Chinese and Indian food.

why would it be "the last time" ?

are you saying they search every passengers bag now?

fwiw, i emailed to hotel malibest on Langkawi, I asked "is the sky brown?" and was told "no it is clear" , not sure what to make of that.

has anyone ever tried to get on the ferry and found out it was full ? from Penang to Langkawi ?

maybe, i could spend a few days in Penang after all..... doing the train "once" to have done it ....

Hello,

Yes, you should take this int'l train because it sounds like you've been so curious

Here's my experience.

2. All the passengers got all luggage searched at Customs on the Malaysian side.

but this is the first and last time that I've ever had my bags searched at Customs

on either side.

You can easily spend a night or two in George Town, where I'll always enjoy some

Going from thailand to malaysia, malay customs will scan and/or search your bags. Nothing serious, a scan is usually sufficient.

Going back to thailand, no search. In fact, you can leave your bags on the train.

The only time i've had bags scanned on a Thai land border was at aranyaprathet /poipet crossing.

I assume the more developed country has more to lose, so to speak.

If you really want to miss Penang http://www.penangtalk.com/photos/ you can get off the train at Arau and go over to Kuala Perlis. There are ferries going all day from the big terminal there. You would probably get there about 2pm.

I did this too and it worked out well.

The train is a worthwhile experience, but for one time only.

why would it be "the last time" ?

are you saying they search every passengers bag now?

fwiw, i emailed to hotel malibest on Langkawi, I asked "is the sky brown?" and was told "no it is clear" , not sure what to make of that.

has anyone ever tried to get on the ferry and found out it was full ? from Penang to Langkawi ?

maybe, i could spend a few days in Penang after all..... doing the train "once" to have done it ....

Hello,

Here's my experience.

on either side.

We did this trip about 6 weeks ago. When arriving at the border from the Thai side we went through without a hitch, coming back however our bags was searched and I spend 20 minutes waiting due to the guy in front of me having an outstanding overstay against him. Your question(s) about the ferry (to Langkawi), you don't see much as its a speed boat and you sit inside and no you get a seat allocated to you so the ferry can't be overloaded. The ferry between Penang and Langkawi can however be full and I would advise you to buy them upfront. The ferry trip from Langkawi to the mainland is a very short trip. Be warned that there is very little to do at Kuala Perlis station. If there is a haze problem flights in and out of Langkawi will be canceled as in the past. You book 2 nd class tickets on the train. There is supposed to be 1st class coaches but I didn't see any. Second class is however ok, the only problem we had on our way down was that the ac was too cold and we had to put windbreakers on. The train ride to Butterworth is +- 16 hours from HH but is overnight. If you travel from BKK it may make sense to fly but from Huahin the train is much cheaper and a nice experience. Remember Langkawi is a duty free island and imported beer is very cheap, we bought at B 30 to B 40 per beer (compared to B 160 here). Which ever way you go enjoy the trip.

well, like I said, going to ChiangMai overnight was ridiculous, it was fine until, one laid down with the door closed, then it got progressively colder, and with 3 others in the cabin trying to sleep to arise midsleep to open one's suitcase and look for any and every piece of clothing to put on, and to then still be cold, as i don't carry a parka, or sleeping bag in thailand, to me, there's no real preparing for, hence, there really is no way to possibly sleep. And if this is how the train south is, i'd take a fan car, if that doesn't then mean, something else, as worse. ; i don't mind the length of the ride, but i see no way other than to pack a blanket i could then toss or pack longjohns

do you think the 'brown sky' / haze comes and goes ; if this is a real possibility in january, i'll just forget the whole thing, and stay in bangkok

We did this trip about 6 weeks ago. When arriving at the border from the Thai side we went through without a hitch, coming back however our bags was searched and I spend 20 minutes waiting due to the guy in front of me having an outstanding overstay against him. Your question(s) about the ferry (to Langkawi), you don't see much as its a speed boat and you sit inside and no you get a seat allocated to you so the ferry can't be overloaded. The ferry between Penang and Langkawi can however be full and I would advise you to buy them upfront. The ferry trip from Langkawi to the mainland is a very short trip. Be warned that there is very little to do at Kuala Perlis station. If there is a haze problem flights in and out of Langkawi will be canceled as in the past. You book 2 nd class tickets on the train. There is supposed to be 1st class coaches but I didn't see any. Second class is however ok, the only problem we had on our way down was that the ac was too cold and we had to put windbreakers on. The train ride to Butterworth is +- 16 hours from HH but is overnight. If you travel from BKK it may make sense to fly but from Huahin the train is much cheaper and a nice experience. Remember Langkawi is a duty free island and imported beer is very cheap, we bought at B 30 to B 40 per beer (compared to B 160 here). Which ever way you go enjoy the trip.

The International train has fan carriages as far as Had Yai. You could get a ticket til there then try to get a ticket from Had Yai . The train is due to stop at Had Yai for 30 minutes.

There are cctv cameras all over Langkawi, at the beaches and the jetty. Maybe you could hook into them like http://seeitlivethailand.com/cctv/phuket/phuket-laem-panwa-south