Water situation in Thailand turns into crisis: Academic

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Lampang2!

The price of water in Bangkok especially is ridiculously low (in comparison with other world cities), so there is no incentive what so ever to try to reduce water use.

Increasing the price of water through a “drought levy” for the next six months or so will certainly provide an impetus to people to use less water.

It would be a good move politically, as it would help rural people see that they are not alone in this struggle. So far, it seems that the farmers are the only ones being forced to deal with the water shortages. Introducing a levy will also show city-dwellers that they are expected to share the burden for conserving water.

The levy will provide some additional funding in support of suffering farmers.

Lastly, it is a measure that the junta can introduce quickly (through policy). The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority already have the billing service in place to allow for calculating and collecting of the extra money.

Unfortunatly, the Junta has chosen not to do anything about the drought, even though they have had amply warning of its likely magnitude throughout this year.

Were they serious about this problem they could have done a few other things relatively quickly:

In addition to the levy, the junta should have urged homeowners to install water-saving devices in bathrooms, laundry’s, kitchens and toilets.

It should haved required industry and hospitality locations to employ water-saving methods too, and also use recycled water.

Lastly, maybe the junta should have considered recycling treated waste water for home consumption?

Alas, little has been done, so it may become a dry argument!

I agree with Lampang2!

The price of water in Bangkok especially is ridiculously low (in comparison with other world cities), so there is no incentive what so ever to try to reduce water use.

Increasing the price of water through a “drought levy” for the next six months or so will certainly provide an impetus to people to use less water.

It would be a good move politically, as it would help rural people see that they are not alone in this struggle. So far, it seems that the farmers are the only ones being forced to deal with the water shortages. Introducing a levy will also show city-dwellers that they are expected to share the burden for conserving water.

Lastly, it is a measure that the junta can introduce quickly (through policy). The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority already have the billing service in place to allow for calculating and collecting of the extra money.

Unfortunatly, the Junta has chosen not to do anything about the drought, even though they have had amply warning of its likely magnitude throughout this year.

Were they serious about this problem they could have done a few other things relatively quickly:

In addition to the levy, the junta should have urged homeowners to install water-saving devices in bathrooms, laundry’s, kitchens and toilets.

It should haved required industry and hospitality locations to employ water-saving methods too, and also use recycled water.

Lastly, maybe the junta should have considered recycling treated waste water for home consumption?

Domestic consumption is of course a large part of where the water goes, but also industry and agriculture.

However IU think that increasing the cost of water in Thailand to a point where it effects consumption is a pretty impractical idea.

firstly it would be unpopular and then in some areas unenforceable ........ people get there drinking water in bottles and many toilets washing and other facilities are not owned/used by a single user or family but supply whole buildings or areas. So in short the whole distribution would have to be rebuilt.

I also note a massive variation in water bills on houses which seems to indicate a different cost or metering from one area to another.

people in Thailand have always taken water for granted and however water conscious you make the public, I doubt it will make an adequate dent in consumption to support the needs of industry and agriculture.Thailand is now rapidly becoming an industrialised country it is going to be industry that puts the main demands on water resources - the agricultural one has always been there, so Thailand will need MORE water to be conserved - reducing public personal consumption may have some effect but in the long term they need a water conservation system that actually conserves and distributes without leaking and by utilising the right catchment areas effectively

That is what happens if a self appointed bunch of soldiers claim to know all and everything.

The main cause of the water shortage in the dams was caused by the previous elected PTP government in draining too much water away in 2012/13 to prevent floods in BKK against ALL advice.

Where did they drain the water to, to stop floods where all the water goes???

That is what happens if a self appointed bunch of soldiers claim to know all and everything.

The main cause of the water shortage in the dams was caused by the previous elected PTP government in draining too much water away in 2012/13 to prevent floods in BKK against ALL advice.

Where did they drain the water to, to stop floods where all the water goes???

They merely opened the gates and let the water out down the rivers and canals until it reached the sea. After that there was plenty of room in thedams for all the extra rainwater.

Sadly it never came.

Staggering ! The water I see wasted at Songkran. And of course water management in thailand is a joke!

I Will not even attempt to save a drop of water until the pm announces songkran is cancelled/illegal

Until then I'll use it as normal, might even wash the cars today if I feel like it.... Idiots will have to learn the hard way

I agree with Lampang2!

Are you suggesting that ALL Thais should have the price of their water increased, or just the "elite" city dwellers?

Staggering ! The water I see wasted at Songkran. And of course water management in thailand is a joke!

I Will not even attempt to save a drop of water until the pm announces songkran is cancelled/illegal

Until then I'll use it as normal, might even wash the cars today if I feel like it.... Idiots will have to learn the hard way

there's always someone on a :"water" thread keen to show how little they know about water consumption by citing Song Khran. Just pause for a moment and think how much that REALLY consumes.

there's always someone on a :"water" thread keen to show how little they know about water consumption by citing Song Khran. Just pause for a moment and think how much that REALLY consumes.

I reckon Songkran would probably consume about 100 ML, enough to irrigate/grow about 10 hectares of rice.

That's fine, I'll start having more sex in the shower too, leave the tap running when I'm shaving too... And flush 3 times after every shit :)

If there is water to be wasted then it effects all combined water

That includes domestic, farming, industrial commercial use

Everything has an effect, in the UK they issue hose pipe bans

Does some old pensioner watering his flowers waste anything significant?

Probably not that much, but it is the combined factor of 70 million people with bad habits wasting it and that includes big business

How many tonnes of ice are used instead of refrigeration?

Not enough to fix the problem but it would surely help a bit of everyone chipped in and decided not to waste X million gallons each day nationwide....

That's fine, I'll start having more sex in the shower too, leave the tap running when I'm shaving too... And flush 3 times after every shit smile.png

Probably not that much, but it is the combined factor of 70 million people with bad habits wasting it and that includes big business

Not enough to fix the problem but it would surely help a bit of everyone chipped in and decided not to waste X million gallons each day nationwide....

This isn't Song Khran,......now you are talking about what WE were talking about in other posts....

Edited by cumgranosalum

That's fine, I'll start having more sex in the shower too, leave the tap running when I'm shaving too... And flush 3 times after every shit smile.png

This isn't Song Khran,......now you are talking about what WE were talking about in other posts....

You think washing cars doesn't eat up water in a drought?

What about watering 18 hole golf courses so a few rich guys can play golf once a week?

I hear mining uses a lot tootoo, are the mines going to shut down too?

Every combined use takes its toll, even if it's only a 0.01%, if nobody else gives a <deleted>, I'm not going to be the first....

Edited by Ks45672

What about watering 18 hole golf courses so a few rich guys can play golf once a week?

Every combined use takes its toll, even if it's only a 0.01%, if nobody else gives a <deleted>, I'm not going to be the first....

What are you on about - this is common knowledge - what's that got to do with Song Khran?

I agree with Lampang2!

Domestic consumption is of course a large part of where the water goes, but also industry and agriculture.

However IU think that increasing the cost of water in Thailand to a point where it effects consumption is a pretty impractical idea.

firstly it would be unpopular and then in some areas unenforceable ........ people get there drinking water in bottles and many toilets washing and other facilities are not owned/used by a single user or family but supply whole buildings or areas. So in short the whole distribution would have to be rebuilt.

I also note a massive variation in water bills on houses which seems to indicate a different cost or metering from one area to another.

people in Thailand have always taken water for granted and however water conscious you make the public, I doubt it will make an adequate dent in consumption to support the needs of industry and agriculture.Thailand is now rapidly becoming an industrialised country it is going to be industry that puts the main demands on water resources - the agricultural one has always been there, so Thailand will need MORE water to be conserved - reducing public personal consumption may have some effect but in the long term they need a water conservation system that actually conserves and distributes without leaking and by utilising the right catchment areas effectively

Domestic water is incredibly cheap in Thailand. Some would say that farmers should pay for what they use...... That would put them off rice in a jiffy.

What are you on about - this is common knowledge - what's that got to do with Song Khran?

The other reasons are necessary for various reasons, songkran isn't and therefore should be the first thing to cancel in a drought... Along with the other water wasting activities

I agree with Lampang2!

Domestic water is incredibly cheap in Thailand. Some would say that farmers should pay for what they use...... That would put them off rice in a jiffy.

All countries subsidise agriculture - just look on water as a subsidy.

The other reasons are necessary for various reasons, songkran isn't and therefore should be the first thing to cancel in a drought... Along with the other water wasting activities

So you'd ban Christmas as "not necessary"?

So you'd ban Christmas as "not necessary"?

He's obviously not saying to cancel Thai New Year, just the insanity of the water throwing. Traditionally, water was only sprinkled, not thrown by the bucketful into motorcyclists faces.

He's obviously not saying to cancel Thai New Year, just the insanity of the water throwing. Traditionally, water was only sprinkled, not thrown by the bucketful into motorcyclists faces.

Just like the western Christmas is "original"?

Edited by cumgranosalum

Up in Khampaeng Phet every year most of the water fillers are on the edge of the Ping river and AFAIK all the street drainage flows back into the river so although a lot of water is used it drains back from whence it came.