ICT minister hopeful Thailand will be Asean digital hub within three years

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy obviously live in a "differnet" (intended) world than the rest of the Thai government, A hub within Thailand is more likely with all outside access blocked, Then all Thais will be happy happy within their little language barrier and internet firewall and mind their own little Thai business and have Thai copied versions of Facebook, twitter, wikipedia etc...

It seems to me this is exactly what they (powers that be) would like.

Edited by LuckyNo4

Ah yes. someone dreamed a dream. And it was a very fine dream too.

As someone noted a while back, in Thailand, the PR and face benefits come from the announcement not from the doing. By the time Thais realise nothing has changed except the words, they will have forgotten the announcement.

They're not slightly dim mind you. Not at all. To say that would be Thai-bashing. At least, that's what the synapse-challenged would say. One wonders for how long a duck has to be a duck before they might say "Hey! that's a duck!"

The only hub Thais could realistically aspire to be is the hub of lameness and many would say they got there already.

Very funny and so, so true!

When stating they were to introduce the single gateway they said it would encourage Facebook, You tube etc to locate servers here. Where most of us feel the gateway will do the opposite I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did set up some servers here because most businesses don't have the ethics they should, it's all about numbers and profit. A few all expenses paid trips for the CEO's to see the ladies of Thailand and a few wai's and they will be wooed over.

When stating they were to introduce the single gateway they said it would encourage Facebook, You tube etc to locate servers here. Where most of us feel the gateway will do the opposite I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did set up some servers here because most businesses don't have the ethics they should, it's all about numbers and profit. A few all expenses paid trips for the CEO's to see the ladies of Thailand and a few wai's and they will be wooed over.

No, these social media companies would be forced to set up an office here which would be closely monitored, as in China.

ROFL ... Within 3 years?

Should do his homework, before raising such expectations...

Does he know, how long it takes to plan and build a new seacable? That seacables are mostly a multi-country/multi-company project?

How does he want to improve in 3 years the shitty infrastructure in a country, where alone the Ping time between Pattaya and Bangkok is a horrendous 30-50 secs for 120km?

That one of the main problems in this country is the internet exchange, not so long ago only one allowed, then liberated and now again back to the single gateway???

Why should companies like Facebook invest in a country known for its draconian laws against free speech, which is currently heating up the fire under the pan with a new censorship?

That train left the station already years ago with the Thai governments sleeping lazily on their bench in the waiting area and feeding Isaan rice farmers: Singapore as the main ICT hub with the best internet connections (the banks aren't there for nothing), the Philippines with its BPO and call center business and Vietnam as the recent hotspot for ICT service outsourcing.

Unfortunately for Thailand, there is this little country called Singapore that is light years ahead of Thailand in IT and IT infrastructure. Almost all of the quality computer programmers I know from Thailand have moved to Singapore. There are only the dregs of the industry remaining in Thailand. The ship left the port a long time ago. Even Vietnam, the Philippines and Malaysia have now surpassed Thailand when it comes to the IT industry. Thailand is only an ASEAN hub for microchip manufacturing, which really isn't the IT these clowns are envisioning.

Edited by zaphod reborn

Let's see, Thailand still doesn't have 4G, but lowly little Lao does. So does Vietnam. "Digital Hub", Thailand? Don't hold your breath,

Bangkok has, and that's really all that matters from an IT industry perspective. Doesn't matter much if ppl in rural areas can consume streamed movies on their phones...

And that attitude towards a huge number of people (I won't say majority because I understand it is a difficult concept) sums up why this lovely country remains politically dysfunctional. Edited by JAG

No, these social media companies would be forced to set up an office here which would be closely monitored, as in China.

And by doing this, the social media companies will have offices here providing quicker access within Thailand to what most people here want to access, if the government allows that is. I'm not for the single gateway by any means, but businesses never seem to take a moral stance, they just want exposure and money.

Who's kidding whom? God help anybody trying to run as business through the useless ISPs here! And if the government security services isn't actually rolling out their Big Brother single gateway to the Internet, how do they explain the ongoing deterioration of services and downloading/uploading speeds, which has become particularly noticeable in the last month or so?

And by doing this, the social media companies will have offices here providing quicker access within Thailand to what most people here want to access, if the government allows that is. I'm not for the single gateway by any means, but businesses never seem to take a moral stance, they just want exposure and money.

Wrong http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/marketing_sales/understanding_social_media_in_china coffee1.gif

I too would like to learn how to out 100% BS day in, day out. I mean I can get up to 60% easily, but the ministers in this government are hard core. How do they manage to do it?

Practice, dedication and a belief that they love the right people.

But being a bit dim does help...

Wrong http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/marketing_sales/understanding_social_media_in_china coffee1.gif

In China it is clear that they dont have FB and You tube but they have other platforms. In Thailand we use these already. If the SG was enforced and companies moved servers here, our internet would be quicker for accessing those sites. If they didn't move here it would be slower.

Most of the article you quote talks about marketing strategies which supports what I say that the businesses will still try to make money here, single gateway or not.

Will Thailand be a digital hub, well it depends how many international companies locate servers here. Will they walk away or will they still try to get better exposure and make more money? Only time will tell.

Not if the people have any say in it...Thailand is unique and it will not be snuffed-out by some globalists who want to amalgamate it into some region designed by the aforementioned because what will follow is one type of currency, gov't and so fourth...there are those of us that can see that. In the name of God, the beautiful country Thailand, King and all that is free. good for the world and people..we deny your plans. I make this call and request and now send it out here, beyond and into the ether...

Edited by freedom4life