Car dash camera in Thailand

Nepal4me

Anybody have comments on using a dash cam here in Bangkok. A lot of crazy shit happens, it would be a good idea to have a record in case something bad happens.

Any recommendations for a good system or any words of wisdom from people using them?

I hveused a Garmin DashCam 20 for two years.

Never had a problem with it.

Highly recommend it but there are less expensive units on the market.

But the detsil is wuite good to even read a license plate at night.

There is one brand that allows you to sync two units so you can have one in front window and one in back. I think this is a great idea.

Cheers

would be nice to have some people post the lazada link to their own cam with a short video

Yesterday at night i was driving 130kph and 2 young adults on a motorbike turned in the fast lane(someone going super slow in the slow lane) while i was about 40-70m ahead of them, i also flashed my lights twice before they started turning

Almost killed them and would of been good to have a camera in case.

G1W is the best cheapest dashcam available anywhere in the world.

1500 0n lazada.

It is a good camera. I had one on my car

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZ0J452?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Good picture, wide range of vision. Okay at night, but most cameras have difficulty at night. This does not have a GPS, though there is a model with GPS. If you want to have a memory of your trip, the GPS would be nice, but I heard somewhere that if there is an accident, the insurance company could use GPS info to check your speed and could be used against you. blink.png

would be nice to have some people post the lazada link to their own cam with a short video

I actually tried to find some footage I could post - but it's either showing the way to/from my house, or has someone singing, badly, or private conversation. LOL.

Edited by IMHO

There are reports of problems using batteries in the heat, dont know if the the device actually can blow up or only malfuction. There are however many systems that uses capacitors, like Transcend drivepro 200. Since the capacitor is weak, it might discharge after a few days so you have to reset time and date, but it should not be a problem if you drive on daily basis. Perhaps the G1Wc has a stronger capacitor?

Top end is Blackvue 750 that comes with a rear cam, but the screen is quite big. Blackvue 650 is more stealthy but of course no screen at all so you have to view the video via wifi.Not sure if you can trust the connection 100% though.

I hope Blackvues next step will be like 650, but with a separate monitor that can be attached lower down on the dashboard.

Edited by chopin2

There's a couple of companies selling this product, here's the one I bought.

http://www.lazada.co.th/morestech-g1w-nt96650-black-memory-card-32-gb-class10-1338360.html

As far as I can tell they're all pretty much the same and only a closer look at the handbook/documentation reveals that it isn't what you might think it is.

The only thing I'll say about the G1W, is that it's field of view is quite narrow @ 120 degrees - it's amazing how much extra information a 170 degrees action cam / dash cam is able to capture. The 120-130 degree lenses have very minimal "fish eye" effect in comparison though...

Here's some footage also showing how image stabilization (gyro) can help if you have a bumpy car too (or hinder PQ if you don't):

(make sure you put YT into 1440p resolution mode to see full quality)

Edited by IMHO

Yesterday at night i was driving 130kph and 2 young adults on a motorbike turned in the fast lane(someone going super slow in the slow lane) while i was about 40-70m ahead of them, i also flashed my lights twice before they started turning

Almost killed them and would of been good to have a camera in case.

If your camera would have recorded your speed the police would have been happy to use it as evidence against you in case of an accident. Driving 130 kph at night is calling for the worst. post-4641-1156694606.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

• Like 2

I have the Transcend DrivePro 100 and are happy about it.

The video quality is very good and I like the manual "emergency" button and that you can take pictures "on the fly".

I have tried a 170° Carcam. OK; it covers a wide-angle, but everything gets so small.

But in general, as I have written before on another post: You get what you pay for!.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a Go Pro bolted on my head and shout n rant at normal folks as if im a Biker or Vegan Bicycle Wobbler  dressed in Spandex and 15 years old. My best results are boring my friends showing what a clever boy i am at 195 kph on my I phone/You Tube. Apart from that i have one i use for the intended purpose. These Cameras have such a stigma due to idiot abuse , its a bit like a Ferang Cartoon  Tuna Driver.. So just be safe, and a Happy n Fun New Year to All..:stoner:

3 hours ago, Chuckles78 said:

I've been using my Blackview DR650S-2CH for about 3 months now. Awesome quality, not very intrusive in the car, very cool features including remote viewing from anywhere around the world.

https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/

How is it for number plates ... daytime and night time.  Also did you buy it here in Thailand?

Can it be powered from just a USB socket oe does it need the cigarette lighter socket .... thanks

Edited by JAS21

If you buy an Isuzu mu-X in Thailand it comes with a dashcam as standard (AFIK even the base model). Wifey bought me one for Christmas, made the 1 Baht of gold I bought her look a bit stingy. I'll publish Youtube links to sample video once they've uploaded.

OK, only front viewing, but it does have a G sensor so it saves the footage of your crash.

Any other mass-market cars come with dashcams?

I recommend utilize the  OBDII port with a mini or micro usb (pending on camera selct). Then one are able to have a hardwired supply that sensing the battery power and shut the camera off hence " Smart low voltage protection will cut power if the voltage drops to 11.5V to prevent battery drai". I have ordere this from China: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191808084128

Thus no soldering or cramping original wires required ....

Edited by bno

I've went through many cheap cameras and now I have 2 of the Transcend Drive Pro 220 with wifi. I was so impressed with the one I bought my wife that I bought myself one too.

They are not cheap @ 5300 Baht but it works excellent and is heat resistant unlike many cheaper cameras. It has built in GPS to log your speed and location plus a snap shot feature that lets you capture stills while recording. 

It also has speed limit alerts and warns you if you are wandering from your driving lane in case you nod off at the wheel.

The WiFi lets you adjust setting and view video from your phone in case of an accident so you can show police/insurance company easily. Both iOS and Android app available .

Comes with parking mode too if you want to protect your vehicle from hit and run in parking lots.

Edited by Sakeopete
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, bno said:

In the process of purchase. Probably land at this https://www.gadgetthai.net/th/product/255785/LS470W

Lot of good reviews. Check out Youtube for video Q. There is an updated versjon ending with a + but the view is amongst users (simultantests) that the upgraded + version is not wort the money.

Good choice :thumbsup:

I currently have a LS460w in the front and a LS430w at the back window. Great cameras good quality and reliable.

I'm waiting for the LS470+ to come to Thailand so I can treat myself to an upgrade, nothing wrong with my present cameras jus feel like treating myself. I like playing around with new gizmos :whistling:

I'm going for LS470W+ as it has a couple of extra features over the LS470W mainly a polarizing filter to cut windscreen reflection and larger battery so it can be in parking mode without hardwired to the car. It will also take a 125gb memory card which will reduce the read write cycles and prolong card life.

Here a list of LS470W and LS470W+  differences:-

http://www.dashcamscentral.com.au/dash-cam/dod-ls470w-plus-dash-cam/

New for 2016, the DODLS470W and DOD LS470W+ plus are improved models over the still current DODLS460W.

DOD LS470W+ is essentially the same as the LS470W but offers additional features.

DOD LS470W+ offers for the first time on a DOD a CPL filter as standard. Ideal for removing windscreen reflections which can be a problem for some installations, and also more common in the bright sunny conditions found here in Australia.

DOD LS470W+ also offers a slightly larger LCD screen of 3 inches over the 2.7 inch screen offered on the LS470W. This is good for people who like to view video in car on the Dashcam but also means the LS470W+ is slightly less discrete than the LS470W or the 460.

The plus model more interestingly also has a much larger battery than the other DOD models. The 3.7V 650mAh high efficiency Lithium-ion battery on the DOD LS470W+ is designed to support the parking mode and allow the camera to run for longer periods of time in parking mode. This can in many cases negate the need for hard wiring your dash cam which previously was almost a must for people who wanted parking protection while away from their car.

LS470W and LS470W+ also both come packaged with a new GPS enabled video media player to support the new functions of both cams. In addition to the new features above Both the DODLS470W and DOD LS470W+ carry over all of the same features as the DODLS460W.

The new DODLS470W+ should give solid improvement in both day, and especially night video quality, clearer all round video and improved GPS functions over what was an already very impressive camera in the LS460W.

Adjustable Circular Polarizing Filter

Effectively Reduces Reflected Light
 Adjustable filter eliminates windshield glare and enhances saturation at the same time. Reduces unwanted reflections to ensure the best video quality and protect your lens. Reduces over-exposure and polarizing effects for image clarity.

More Info:-

http://www.car-dvr.co.uk/dod/dvr/ls470wplus.html

http://www.dod-tec.com/index.php/product/detail/83

:smile:

Dear Daffy D,

Thanks for the update on the DOD. Appreciate it VM. I was also thinking of the  windshield glare as noticed (as my Nissan NP300  has some frustrating night driving glare) I need to reconsider the + version, yes.

• Like 1

On 31.12.2016 at 7:31 PM, JAS21 said:

How is it for number plates ... daytime and night time.  Also did you buy it here in Thailand?

Can it be powered from just a USB socket oe does it need the cigarette lighter socket .... thanks

It has very high resolution so reading number plates is no trouble as long as your window is clean. It plugs into a 12v cigarette socket. There are accessories to hard wire it into your car with a battery backup option now available too. Everything is on their website.

I bought mine in Germany.