Immigration warns homeowners they have 24hrs to report foreign guests

webfact

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is a test program based on the RTP program where the cops get a slice of the tickets they write instead of just pocketing the whole amount, and now immigration is set to fine people who are already legally here, and all that...

Amazing.

What a great way to encourage tourism....with threats of fines, etc.

I doubt most tourists will be staying in private homes or are returning residents of Hua Hin. If you stay in a hotel or guesthouse, it's the owners responsibility to report.

If tsunamis, coups and floods haven't put much of a lasting dent in tourism, I doubt this will.

Tourism may be important, but the country doesn't make every decision solely based on how it may or may not ruffle the feathers of tourists any more than would the US or any European country.

Edited by Suradit69

ALL RESIDENTS RETURNING TO HUA HIN MUST REPORT TO THE LOCAL IMMIGRATION OFFICE WITHIN 24hrs OF ARRIVAL

IMO this is badly written. It implies that "residents must report" but I think it's referring to section 38 of the immigration act which requires that house-master/owner/possessor of the property must report when a foreigner arrives.

Immigration Act Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

There is a law that says we (the foreigner) should report to the police within 24 hours of arriving at a new address, but I don't beleive they would start enforcing that.

Immigration Act Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following :

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

Immigration are cracking down on us for sure. My employer was requested to fill out a form from immigration. They wanted me to give them

an up to date address.

"They wanted me to give them an up to date address. "

And you feel that's a "crackdown?"

I used to be quite keen to visit Thailand and was nearly ready to live there with my Thai wife, but times change. I now prefer to stay in the UK with the possibility of living in France. And I now prefer it if my wife makes trips home without me.

I would think twice before living in France, I lived there for 5 years before moving to Thailand. The winters are very cold, heating fuel is very expensive, unless you get a log burner and are tiresome to light and dirty. Food and alcohol are expensive. Shops don't open on a Sunday and the hours during the week are hit and miss. French beaurocrasy is tiresome. Give me Thailand every time. Bon Chance.

This is about Hua Hin. Stop making the headline sound as if it is for the whole country!

People are getting fined all over the country for not submitting a TM30 when the foreigner moves in. Many didn't even know they had to do it.

Hua Hin are doing the right thing and telling people.

Chiang Mai Immigration notified my wife of this 2 weeks ago, saying she could be "in trouble" if she didn't come and report me living here. We both went, and she wasn't polite. She asked them how stupid they had to be, seeing as we have been living here as husband and wife, originally with a Marriage Extension, which was later changed to Retirement, for the past 7 damn years, with me reporting every 90 days, and with them originally coming to the house to verify it. They told her it was "policy", to which she replied - "Policy is fine, but you're all a bunch of idiots!"

I was even shocked, as my wife is normally a very polite, very soft spoken woman, but this touched a nerve somewhere inside of her that set her off. They finally filled out the forms, with a receipt for me to place in my passport, stating that without it, I would not be able to renew my yearly again. Needless to say, they were happy to see us leave.

How was your wife notified by immigration? What forms did they fill out? Because this is the first I have heard of this requirement in Chiang Mai.

My wife found out about this when she went to the monthly VFW Auxiliary meeting. They had someone from Immigration there to inform everyone, but wouldn't answer any questions. Just "Here it is, do it!" then left. The next day, Imm actually called her on the phone and told her to report.

The fact that they are enforcing this law more and more it's about time they actually informed the people responsible of their obligation.

And why only Hua Hin is this not rolled out across the kingdom.

I arrived yesterday and I'm going to get the GF to do it to save any hassles,given that Phitsanulok immigration is 130 KM away from Lom Sak Phetchabun I will have her take it to the police station.

I think they are going to look at her gone out,probably a loss of face for someone when my missus has to explain the rules to them no doubts.

ALL RESIDENTS RETURNING TO HUA HIN MUST REPORT TO THE LOCAL IMMIGRATION OFFICE WITHIN 24hrs OF ARRIVAL

IMO this is badly written. It implies that "residents must report" but I think it's referring to section 38 of the immigration act which requires that house-master/owner/possessor of the property must report when a foreigner arrives.

That's not an implication, it categorically states that it applies to all residents

Chiang Mai Immigration notified my wife of this 2 weeks ago, saying she could be "in trouble" if she didn't come and report me living here. We both went, and she wasn't polite. She asked them how stupid they had to be, seeing as we have been living here as husband and wife, originally with a Marriage Extension, which was later changed to Retirement, for the past 7 damn years, with me reporting every 90 days, and with them originally coming to the house to verify it. They told her it was "policy", to which she replied - "Policy is fine, but you're all a bunch of idiots!"

I was even shocked, as my wife is normally a very polite, very soft spoken woman, but this touched a nerve somewhere inside of her that set her off. They finally filled out the forms, with a receipt for me to place in my passport, stating that without it, I would not be able to renew my yearly again. Needless to say, they were happy to see us leave.

[/quote

We'll your wife is right god bless her and it's good to see a Thai reconfirm things

Your lucky you had ya passport son :)]

I can't see this applying to you, you have a permanent address in Thailand, you have a retirement visa and you do your 90 day reporting, your 90 day report registers where you are staying.

The fact that they are enforcing this law more and more it's about time they actually informed the people responsible of their obligation.

Sounds like gestapo crap to me.

Just a side point.... If you check out the German immigration site, it does say that you must notify the local police of your visit and where staying, within 24 hours of arrival. I don't have the time to pull the quote, but do a search, it's there. And this is a European country.

It would be great if everyone showed up at the local police station as often as possible to keep them busy. That way, no time for creating traffic jams in an attempt to control it. or spot checks to bribe money out of motorcycle drivers.