Immigration warns homeowners they have 24hrs to report foreign guests

webfact

So if I go camping in Khao Yai for the weekend I am supposed to physically go to Korat immigration office to report my presence in the province for more than 24 hours? And when I get back I have to spend Monday morning at the immigration office in my own province to report that I've returned?

And if I go to Pattaya to stay with friends every weekend, they have to physically go to the immigration office every time to report my presence there for more than 24 hours? And then every Monday morning I have to go to the immigration office to report that I've returned?

And if I travel around Thailand but spend less than 24 hours in each province, I still have to go to the immigration office when I get back to report that I've returned?

And every time I leave Thailand and return, I have to go to the immigration office next day to report that I have returned, even though I just filled in the immigration form with my address on it when I arrived???????

There must be a lot of foreigners living in Thailand who have no idea of all this - not everyone reads ThaiVisa. And judging by this thread, plenty of those who do know either don't believe it or don't comply because it's ridiculously draconian or, as others have shown, simply impracticable.

Yup, Yup, Yup Yup and Yup.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now on a retirement extension , I'm a prisonner , so I don't go out anymore. But when I was driving through Thailand , years ago on a non-o , I always slept at mom&pop cheap shorttime motels way out of towns and far away from immigration. Barely even asked for id or passport. What are those kind of places going to do ? Refuse foreigners ? It is a big bother to report them staying. They have no internet , and filling out forms for a nightly rate of 200/300 B ? It's a stupid law.

My family and I checked into a hotel on the beach in Chantaburi province. when they saw me, a foreigner they gave the money back to my wife and said the family could not stay. Could not be ar$ed to put up with the admin hassle was the reason.

I don't blame them.

Returning to the thread's theme of non-hotelier property owners need ing to register their guests, military regimes tend to want to control everything, so it's not that surprising. It would not be that onerous either if they set up a national online reporting system.

Still convinced that democracies sometimes need to be saved from themselves by the establishment of police states?

The fact that they are enforcing this law more and more it's about time they actually informed the people responsible of their obligation.

Sounds like gestapo crap to me.

Just a side point.... If you check out the German immigration site, it does say that you must notify the local police of your visit and where staying, within 24 hours of arrival. I don't have the time to pull the quote, but do a search, it's there. And this is a European country.

what b*llsh*t you writing, nobody reports to police in germany about where he stays, nobody you understand?

if you need a visa, then you will write the adress of hotel or place where you stay, but in Germany if you stay private with friends nobody has to report anything, This is a free country, only Hotels and Guesthouses have to report

In Germany, they have vays and means of making you talk.

Can you imagine what would happen if upon exiting the Kingdom that immigration wants to do a check that you complied with this law while in the Kingdom? "Sorry Farang you no report change of address when you go Pattaya, Hua Hin, Phuket, Samui and Chiangmai. Pay money 200 baht for each no comply. Go there to the (We Got Ya Desk) and pay money 4000 baht" 4000? "Yes, the total for you, your wife and two lovely kids"...

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

What a great way to encourage tourism....with threats of fines, etc.

I doubt most tourists will be staying in private homes or are returning residents of Hua Hin. If you stay in a hotel or guesthouse, it's the owners responsibility to report.

If tsunamis, coups and floods haven't put much of a lasting dent in tourism, I doubt this will.

Tourism may be important, but the country doesn't make every decision solely based on how it may or may not ruffle the feathers of tourists any more than would the US or any European country.

I know a lot of tourists who stay at private homes, rent a condo, when they come here.

What a great way to encourage tourism....with threats of fines, etc.

I doubt most tourists will be staying in private homes or are returning residents of Hua Hin. If you stay in a hotel or guesthouse, it's the owners responsibility to report.

If tsunamis, coups and floods haven't put much of a lasting dent in tourism, I doubt this will.

Tourism may be important, but the country doesn't make every decision solely based on how it may or may not ruffle the feathers of tourists any more than would the US or any European country.

I know a lot of tourists who stay at private homes, rent a condo, when they come here.

How many ?

Hmm I fancy going to Phucket from Chiang mai by bus. I dislike flying. Trip down takes 24hrs. Should I report the exact location(s) that I am at during the journey or just the Vehicles Registration number and planned route to the relevant immigration department? cheesy.gif 555+++

I used to be quite keen to visit Thailand and was nearly ready to live there with my Thai wife, but times change. I now prefer to stay in the UK with the possibility of living in France. And I now prefer it if my wife makes trips home without me.

I 100% AGREE with you after 10 years I am losing my respect and love for the country and now prefer stay home

This would then also suggest that there is not only a requirement for the property owner but also for the guest to report themselves to immigration should they stay outside of the province for more than 24 hours.

So I'm expected to report to Immigration every time i go from Hua Hin to Bangkok?

I'm beginning to think it would easier if I was an expat in North Korea.

.. or the Philippines

For a retirement visa, in stead of 800,000 TB in a Thai bank, one needs only the equivalent of 500,000, which after 6 months can be used in the Philippines, to buy a house, land, invest in a business, your own or the family you've married into ... it goes on. All the Draconian bullsh*t we are subjected to in Thailand, simply doesn't exist there.

Once you have the retirement visa, it's yours. You don't have to renew it, and you can come and go from the country as though it were your own.

90 day reporting?? 555555

Endless bullsh*t fees for entering, whatever ....

A Retirement Visa is a Retirement Visa .. what a novel idea.

Edited by Crossy
off topic racist remark removed

I live in a house which is in my 15 year old sons name. Does he have to take me to immigration when i arrive back from work? If so can i ride the motorbike there myself or will he have to?

Is a 15 yr. old allowed to own property ?

How is this arranged?

I live in a house which is in my 15 year old sons name. Does he have to take me to immigration when i arrive back from work? If so can i ride the motorbike there myself or will he have to?

Is a 15 yr. old allowed to own property ?

How is this arranged?

Simply went to the land office and had the property signed into his name from the previous owner at purchase.

Not the first time Hua Hin has been heavy handed and overzealous in these matters... remember when they announced last year that it was illegal to go anywhere (including the beach) without carrying your original passport? After much embarrassment it got shot down by a more senior official in bkk...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747424-hua-hin-immigration-clarifies-rules-on-foreigners-carrying-id/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

Edited by lamyai3

Sorry to be a bit dim on this but I am still not clear on my requirements. My wife and I married several lifetimes ago in Hong Kong and registered in Thailand. I presently live and work in Hong Kong and my wife lives at our house in Thailand; she does allow me to visit regularly but I suspect it's just because the dogs like me!

I arrive at swampy and always fill in the address on the form handed to Immigration, is my wife still required to report my arrival at the house on the TM 28 & 30? If so, is there any way we can avoid this?

Kind informative replies offering insight and good advice will receive a 'like' from me.

Cynical, mickey taking and cruel replies will be read and chuckled at.

Yes, she is supposed to submit form TM30 to immigration every time she lets you visit. It can be done by post.

My wife owns the land and house but if I owned the house even though I can't own the land I assume that if I'd come directly from the airport where I'd reported my address to immigration I would be OK.

I've been asked to sleep at a temple on a couple of occasions. I guess in that instance I would have to report but the temple would be exempt. Or would they?

I may be being a bit picky about this but then it does sound rather like something thought up be someone who wants to seem important.

Sorry to say Haven't read all the posts. This is just an update on what's happened to me.

I arrived back from England Wednesday 28th late afternoon. Filled out my form gave my wife address of where I will be staying.

Yesterday 29th afternoon we had a visit from the police wanting to see passport Visa, also took photos.

On chatting to them for some time it seems they are checking on all non Thai's even the ones living on farms in the middle of nowhere. They have made this a priority since the Bombing in BKK. I live in the middle of Thailand so seems it's going on everywhere.

They also said that if you didn't have the right paperwork or outdated visa they were arresting them and deporting asap.

Worth a though.

Edited by fredob43

Sorry to say Haven't read all the posts. This is just an update on what's happened to me.

I arrived back from England Wednesday late afternoon. Filled out my form gave my wife address of where I will be staying.

Yesterday afternoon we had a visit from the police wanting to see passport Visa, also took photos.

On chatting to them for some time it seems they are checking on all non Thai's even the ones living on farms in the middle of nowhere. They have made this a priority since the Bombing in BKK. I live in the middle of Thailand so seems it's going on everywhere.

They also said that if you didn't have the right paperwork or outdated visa they were arresting them and deporting asap.

Worth a though.

Your in KPP right just so people know ?

And did you go to the police station or immigration ?

Edited by stoneyboy

I arrived back from England Wednesday late afternoon. Filled out my form gave my wife address of where I will be staying.

Yesterday afternoon we had a visit from the police wanting to see passport Visa, also took photos.

Worth a though.

Your in KPP right just so people know ?

And did you go to the police station or immigration ?

I didn't get back here till 9.30pm Wednesday night. Had been out shopping first thing in the morning the cops arrived at about 3pm. Less than 24 hours after I arrived in BKK.

Pretty rapid if you ask me. And Yes K.P.Phet sorry I didn't put that in it is a trite early.

Will be seeing a few chums tonight for any updates, seems some have been checked already some not.

Edited by fredob43

This would then also suggest that there is not only a requirement for the property owner but also for the guest to report themselves to immigration should they stay outside of the province for more than 24 hours.

So I'm expected to report to Immigration every time i go from Hua Hin to Bangkok?

I'm beginning to think it would easier if I was an expat in North Korea.

Really, I thought it was the property owner. In your case it would be yourself if you stayed at your own property only.

Other wise the hotel or owner of the properties is responsible.

I agree that as read in the OP, it sounds like anyone who weekends in their condo in Hua Hin and spends the week at their condo in Bangkok working would be reporting to two places each week.

As I report every 90 days, and pretty much stay there 90 days I hope there is no requirement for me to do so, although I do visit the UK for a few weeks every year, I report my return at the airport! If they want to know where I am at all times, I should also report when I leave! Can't imagine what the local police might say when we visit the wife's village and I try to present them with a TM30.