Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A police check point near my apartment asked for my licence (I was driving my motorbike at the time) and my Passport. I started carrying the original about 6 months ago and keep a copy in my wallet, under the seat of my motorbike, and in my apartment... just in case I lose the original and just in case someone wants/needs a copy I have one for them.

• Like 1

Did the good Colonel actually quote the law that requires this?

It's been a burning question here for years.

I've been digging and so far I think it's in the  National Identification Card Act, but haven't found the legal text for it. 

Not good news for Brits, looking at the fiasco of our passport renewal process.

Been here for xx years (lots) and not going to start carrying it now.

But must admit totally expected and I'm sure this isn't the end of it. It will probably get worse.

Edited by cmsally
  • Like 1

I have no problem being required to carry ID on me at all times in Thailand. However, carrying my passport with me at all times just isn't practical. What if it gets lost or stolen?

Isn't my Thai driving license and work permit already enough identification?

Or how about giving farangs some kind of ID card same as they do with people from Laos and Myanmar?

And on top of that, the Thai drivers license also shows the (foreigners) passport number and name written both in English and Thai...why make it so complicated?

This is really farang-unfriendly...

• Like 1

This is the way it is supposed to be. the police have the right to ask to see your passport anytime they want. Now granted most of the time just your Thai drivers license is good enough, but there are times when they will ask for it and you are supposed to keep it with you at all times.

I reckon I'm going to breach this rule then and pay up the 2k when caught. Replacing the passport with all it's stamps if it's stolen is a far larger risk.

Agree 100%, will do the same, but I take comfort from the text "may result in 2000 thb fine", so I think there will be some leniency as in (maybe) showing your passport in a reasonable time frame.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos Edited by MJCM

This official, indeed ALL immigration officials, need to NOW be instructed to defer to a "final authority" on all current and future matters regarding immigration changes.   Watching all that has happened the last few months tells me this is a poorly organized and structured department.  

I won't be carrying mine either.   Risk too great and if they think about it, they open up criminals to actually target all foreigners for their books.   Where ever, whenever, etc.