Immigration warns homeowners they have 24hrs to report foreign guests

webfact

Maybe its just me, but i always get worried when a dictator countries corrupt police department want to know my exact address..

Makes me think maybe one day they will show up, and demand teapot money for this that or the other thing..

Think i will let this play out a while before reacting to it..

Edited by hawkeye76

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that they are enforcing this law more and more it's about time they actually informed the people responsible of their obligation.

Sounds like gestapo crap to me.

Now happily living in Philippines, when I visit my house in Thailand, I go to the copshop at my local town and yes, it confuses them too???

It is not so easy or pleasant visiting the LOS anymore.

This is so fun to read...

If you read on both of the forms you can see that it clearly say that you should report to immigration or if no immigration to the local police.

I've actually tried to do the TM.28 and 30 when I visited my friends in Kampheng Phet earlier this month. As there is no immigration in Kampheng Phet province we went to the local police station in the ampoe. But there we got a "NO, can not do." and they continued to say that we MUST do the reports at immigration, the closest immigration office is in Nakorn Sawan (120km one way). We didn't go to Nakorn Sawan...

The fact that they are enforcing this law more and more it's about time they actually informed the people responsible of their obligation.

Now happily living in Philippines, when I visit my house in Thailand, I go to the copshop at my local town and yes, it confuses them too???

Smartest man in Thaivisa ;-)

Got out before its to late!

Chiang Mai Immigration notified my wife of this 2 weeks ago, saying she could be "in trouble" if she didn't come and report me living here. We both went, and she wasn't polite. She asked them how stupid they had to be, seeing as we have been living here as husband and wife, originally with a Marriage Extension, which was later changed to Retirement, for the past 7 damn years, with me reporting every 90 days, and with them originally coming to the house to verify it. They told her it was "policy", to which she replied - "Policy is fine, but you're all a bunch of idiots!"

I was even shocked, as my wife is normally a very polite, very soft spoken woman, but this touched a nerve somewhere inside of her that set her off. They finally filled out the forms, with a receipt for me to place in my passport, stating that without it, I would not be able to renew my yearly again. Needless to say, they were happy to see us leave.

Fair play to your missus. I suspect a good number of other wives would/will meekly comply and then let rip at their husbands once back at home for the inconvenience they were put through, as though it is the fault of the husband...

Sorry to be a bit dim on this but I am still not clear on my requirements. My wife and I married several lifetimes ago in Hong Kong and registered in Thailand. I presently live and work in Hong Kong and my wife lives at our house in Thailand; she does allow me to visit regularly but I suspect it's just because the dogs like me!

I arrive at swampy and always fill in the address on the form handed to Immigration, is my wife still required to report my arrival at the house on the TM 28 & 30? If so, is there any way we can avoid this?

Kind informative replies offering insight and good advice will receive a 'like' from me.

Cynical, mickey taking and cruel replies will be read and chuckled at.

We live in the Samut Sakhon district and there are relatively few farang living here so Immigration are not that "used to us".

For example, getting a "Yellow Book" is almost impossible.

When we visited Immigration for a 90 day report earlier this year, I raised the topic of this reporting.

My wife had no idea about it and I had only learned about it from TVF!

In fact my wife said that it was not a requirement! - Wrong.

After lots of chat, they discarded the form that I had presented and they created a new form.

It was then agreed that my wife could just phone them when we arrive at our house.

We haven't tried it yet but will try in early December when we come for our extended 5 month holiday.

If this works OK, I will be very happy

I'll post about the experience if it works.

Just a side point.... If you check out the German immigration site, it does say that you must notify the local police of your visit and where staying, within 24 hours of arrival. I don't have the time to pull the quote, but do a search, it's there. And this is a European country.

what b*llsh*t you writing, nobody reports to police in germany about where he stays, nobody you understand?

if you need a visa, then you will write the adress of hotel or place where you stay, but in Germany if you stay private with friends nobody has to report anything, This is a free country, only Hotels and Guesthouses have to report

Imagine what a chaos if everybody would follow and apply this rule.

Another massive warehouse full of useless TM 30 forms, and another massive warehouse full of useless TM 28 forms, matching the massive warehouse full of the TM 6 forms. (not to mention the warehouses full of photocopies of my passport and any other document they care to ask for.) Thailand is definitely at the forefront of environmentally responsible government.

Do they seriously expect us to believe that Thai civil servants sit quietly and input all this useless data into their state of the art Immigration computer?

Time was I couldn't say enough good things about Thailand, that was many years ago now though. I also shipped out 10 years ago. I met someone here last year who lived in my apartment block in TL circa '94. He left TL before I did. I visit once a year for the shopping, he's never been back. It was such a happy go lucky place once.

All that said, I'm sure there are a great many who still love the place. One man's meat......

Chiang Mai Immigration notified my wife of this 2 weeks ago, saying she could be "in trouble" if she didn't come and report me living here. We both went, and she wasn't polite. She asked them how stupid they had to be, seeing as we have been living here as husband and wife, originally with a Marriage Extension, which was later changed to Retirement, for the past 7 damn years, with me reporting every 90 days, and with them originally coming to the house to verify it. They told her it was "policy", to which she replied - "Policy is fine, but you're all a bunch of idiots!"

I was even shocked, as my wife is normally a very polite, very soft spoken woman, but this touched a nerve somewhere inside of her that set her off. They finally filled out the forms, with a receipt for me to place in my passport, stating that without it, I would not be able to renew my yearly again. Needless to say, they were happy to see us leave.

I can't see this applying to you, you have a permanent address in Thailand, you have a retirement visa and you do your 90 day reporting, your 90 day report registers where you are staying.

It applies to the House Master - his wife?

It never did apply to the visitor.

When you stay in a hotel or GH, they make the report online.

There is no online service for private citizens as far as I know but every House Master has an obligation to make the report.

No matter how stupid. the same rule to report to the Police within 24 hrs exist in many other countries, maybe even in your own country without you being aware of it.

Hotels will do it for you you, so you might not even notice.

Many rules exist; only some are occasionally enforced....!

As always storm in a glass of water....

Thailand still great place to live !!!

As another poster has hinted - if I travel to Hua Hin and stay at my girlfriend's house, does the law apply 24 hours after I cross the provincial boundary, or when I cross the threshold of the house?

If I only stay 23 hours at the house but 27 hours total in the province before returning to Bangkok, am I safely within the letter of this wonderful law? I guess I will need to buy a special tracker bracelet for my ankle to make sure that I comply fully with the law of the Kingdom of Thailand.

And if I visit HuaHin every other day, that would be 6 arrivals per week, (assuming I take a rest from travelling on Sundays)

3 in Bangkok and 3 in HuaHin. My local police station(s) will need a special drawer in the filing cabinet...

Edited by bangon04

I'd like to know if I have t check in twice when I return to Thailand too. Once at immigration and another by driving an hour to the closest immigration office where I do my 90 day reporting.

I don't see the point. When I land in Bkk and fill out the immigration card I put my home address on it. I don't see why I need to take three hours out of my day, within 24 hours of getting off a 12+ hour flight to repeat the notification.

The immigration office already asked me once why I didn't stop by to say hi the last time I returned. I told them I informed immigration the day I arrived.

If they just want me to stop in to the local cop shop in the city I live and show my passport that's fine. But to take a half day for nothing is senseless.

Thailand is senseless!!

Upon showing my Girlfriend the form 30 minutes ago and explaining the procedure she was having none of it and reckons the local police won't know what she's on about,I say I'd have to agree with her,she also said its to late now it's 5pm they will of all gone home,I pointed out that it's a police station and will be manned 24 /7.

She's now up the arse about the whole thing and has done one to her friends house leaving me to sit here alone,I think she thinks I'm pulling her leg (joking) having explained that her wonderful leader is now implementing such ludicrous rules which have been around for years but rarely enforced.

Is this being done so they can keep track of people entering and leaving ?

Or more for the reason i think that they are trying to catch out landlords not paying taxes on rented out property.

Then they can fine them for not notifying about someone staying in a property and then they can find out how much the tennant is paying to stay and if the owner is paying tax on this.

Do you think like people like me who have a yellow book have to go also?

Do you think the police in Lom Sak will know anything about it because I sure to hell don't.

It's d day tomorrow I'm going to give it a whirl just to see what the outcome is(lots of looking at forms and staring in amazement for a few minutes)and to avoid any hassles when I go to Phitsanulok immigration for an extension next month.

And why only Hua Hin is this not rolled out across the kingdom.

I arrived yesterday and I'm going to get the GF to do it to save any hassles,given that Phitsanulok immigration is 130 KM away from Lom Sak Phetchabun I will have her take it to the police station.

I think they are going to look at her gone out,probably a loss of face for someone when my missus has to explain the rules to them no doubts.

Keep us posted on this. Let us know how it goes.

Well now on a retirement extension , I'm a prisonner , so I don't go out anymore. But when I was driving through Thailand , years ago on a non-o , I always slept at mom&pop cheap shorttime motels way out of towns and far away from immigration. Barely even asked for id or passport. What are those kind of places going to do ? Refuse foreigners ? It is a big bother to report them staying. They have no internet , and filling out forms for a nightly rate of 200/300 B ? It's a stupid law.

Last week I went to immigration office to renew my retirement extension. All the paperwork was ok until they looked into the computer and found my address was registered as Bumrungrad Hospital BKK where I'd stayed for one nght in July. My wife had to produce the blue book and re-register to our correct address. In the meantime I had already completed one 90 day report and returned via Suvarnabhumi airport since the July episode at the hospital but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

When i apply for my visa's i allready give them the full address. Then they call my wife in Thailand to check on that.

When i arrive on Swampy i fill it in the arrivalcard at immigration.

I think that's enough!

When i go change money at our Bank of Ayudhaya they also want all my details but i won't give it. I just ask the employee loads of questions (they can's speak english) and then only my signature is needed thumbsup.giftongue.png

But every time i go there it's the same story, while the same bank in Siam Paragon just changes the money without any questions.

Asking them questions in English is good, you all should do it as well. That 'll teach them to stop this nonsense.

Well now on a retirement extension , I'm a prisonner , so I don't go out anymore. But when I was driving through Thailand , years ago on a non-o , I always slept at mom&pop cheap shorttime motels way out of towns and far away from immigration. Barely even asked for id or passport. What are those kind of places going to do ? Refuse foreigners ? It is a big bother to report them staying. They have no internet , and filling out forms for a nightly rate of 200/300 B ? It's a stupid law.

Did you intend to admit to staying in "short time" motels" that do not ask for ID?

Another massive warehouse full of useless TM 30 forms, and another massive warehouse full of useless TM 28 forms, matching the massive warehouse full of the TM 6 forms. (not to mention the warehouses full of photocopies of my passport and any other document they care to ask for.) Thailand is definitely at the forefront of environmentally responsible government.

Do they seriously expect us to believe that Thai civil servants sit quietly and input all this useless data into their state of the art Immigration computer?

Just done a 90 day to tachilek from Hua hin when I crossed back into Thailand they asked for my address I had already written Soi name down which usually is excepted.(Suvarnabhum accepted this many times)

I did not know number of house so I made up number very quick as imm man was not impressed, then he repeated number back to me I said correct and away I went.

I have never reported to Hua Hin Immigration except for drivers license, they have all my details and address and wifes ect, why need to report unless you change address.

Next time I do a 90 day I think I will take rental agreement with me just in case.

I think a lott of people don't know the European (Belgian) system.

If a thai person visits belgium, he/she need to ask first a toerist visum.

It they stay at my home, i have to fill in a document, that i will be financial responsible if the Belgian Gov have to pay something for the THai guests. Think about a hospital bill, or if overstay, the cost for bring them back to thailand. If i don't fill in the paper, they must show the booking for a hotelroom for this period. No proof of booking, no visum.

For the visum, they also need a "travel insurance"

Than they also to proof they have enouch money. If they stay in a hotel, 95 Euro per day, if they stay with me, 45 euro per day.

When they are at my home, i also must go to the office, and inform them these people stay with me for this period. Official explication for do this is "if there is a fire at my house, the fire fighters know how many people are in the house.

It's easy for people to complaine and laugh with the Thai system, but in Europe (Belgium) its the same or worse.

Just done a 90 day to tachilek from Hua hin when I crossed back into Thailand they asked for my address I had already written Soi name down which usually is excepted.(Suvarnabhum accepted this many times)

I did not know number of house so I made up number very quick as imm man was not impressed, then he repeated number back to me I said correct and away I went.

I have never reported to Hua Hin Immigration except for drivers license, they have all my details and address and wifes ect, why need to report unless you change address.

Next time I do a 90 day I think I will take rental agreement with me just in case.

He knows the Soi but not the house number ?

cheesy.gif

This is about Hua Hin. Stop making the headline sound as if it is for the whole country!

People are getting fined all over the country for not submitting a TM30 when the foreigner moves in. Many didn't even know they had to do it.

Hua Hin are doing the right thing and telling people.

Talking of 'didn't know': I also did not know that I had to register at the local police station (in addition to doing my 90 day etc). My local police man sent me to the big police station but they all referred me to Immigration. I tried to explain that it is a requirement to register, they were glad when I left.

This 'new' (existing) requirement? Same thing?