Pattaya Indian Restaurants serving lamb or goat?

BruceMangosteen

They all call it "mutton". But opinions vary as to whether it's lamb(Thai) or goat(also Thai)? It seems many buy from a Muslim place on the outskirts of town, both goat and chicken, both slaughtered in the Muslim way as customers demand it. But this question of "mutton" being lamb or goat remains unanswered and disputed. Can anyone advise or should we just assume it is what is is and hope we don't get sick and/or are bothered by goat and/or Muslim suppliers?

I have the answer about this.

Mutton in South Asian English refers to GOAT.

So in PATTAYA Indian restaurants, if the menu says MUTTON, you will almost definitely be getting LOCAL goat.

There is local goat meat sold in Thailand and it is VERY MILD tasting meat compared to goat in the Americas ... so it can easily fool you.

Some Indian menus will say LAMB and they might still serve goat. If you really need to know, there will be some lost in translation issues, you might have pictures of the ANIMALS to ask for confirmation either way.

That said, I think some places can be relied on to serve lamb when they say lamb. Such as INDIAN BY NATURE. I had an amazing LAMB biryani there and it was definitely lamb meat.

It's annoying to think you're ordering lamb, paying for it, and not getting it, but because of the language thing if the menu says mutton, I don't think that is actually intentionally deceptive.

Personally I like goat meat that tastes super strong like it does in the Americas. To me an Indian goat curry where the goat has almost no flavor isn't the real thing. But for many people as the goat meat is so mild here, it actually works fine as a "lamb" replacement.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

To me an Indian goat curry where the goat has almost no flavor isn't the real thing. But for many people as the goat meat is so mild here, it actually works fine as a "lamb" replacement.

Cheers.

So an Indian Goat Curry made with authentic Indian Goats isn't the real thing? Sums up your credentials as a food critic.coffee1.gif

To me an Indian goat curry where the goat has almost no flavor isn't the real thing. But for many people as the goat meat is so mild here, it actually works fine as a "lamb" replacement.

Cheers.

So an Indian Goat Curry made with authentic Indian Goats isn't the real thing? Sums up your credentials as a food critic.coffee1.gif

I get it. It's fun for people to personally attack me.

I like goat that tastes like goat. I've talked to Indians here and they tell me the goat in India is stronger flavored too. I don't know if that's true. Can you tell me? By more like goat, I mean VERY STRONG meat. Like in a Jamaican goat curry (which is Indian in origin) or a Mexican birria. I have also often eat Indian goat curries at Indian places in the U.S. packed with Indian people and never heard any of them say they don't like the goat meat that way. It's the kind of meat you can taste the next day. I reckon most western people don't like that. Please don't reply with another personal attack, dude, that's not about food, that's about you playing a game that is NOT INTERESTING.

But I am sincerely curious about confirmation about the goat meat in India. Anyone who has eaten a lot of goat in India and also goat meat in the Americas (as in Mexican, Indian, and Caribbean food) can you tell me if the goat meat in India is mild as in Thailand or VERY STRONG FLAVORED? Or maybe in between.

I've never had a dish with goat meat in the Americas where you didn't instantly know what it was, it's VERY DISTINCTIVE, you can even smell that it's goat before tasting it. Easily. Not the goat meat here. That's odd, don't you think?

As many know, different meats are different in different countries. Like the beef in Argentina is different than the U.S. beef. But the difference between very mild and very strong flavor ... with goat, I don't recall any difference that extreme with other meats.

Edited by Jingthing

In Singapore where they are a significant populace of Hindu-Indians and Muslim-Indians, mutton is sold as meat of the goat or the sheep. Same same. Goat meat is preferred by the Muslim-Indians, is less fatty, dryer and has a stronger flavor. Goat meat is more expensive.

Sheep meat, being fattier, is usually used for cooking Biryani (for obvious reasons.) Same for mutton soup.

Mutton biryani served in SE Asian restaurants is probably cooked with sheep meat.

Personally, I prefer the stronger flavor of goat meat in Biryani or in curry. Proof is in the eating?smile.png

You can buy a leg of lamb for 600 baht from villa. Cook that in an oven and it will satisfy all your lamb needs. I wouldnt trust an indian restraunt here.

600B a KILO more like it. In fact, 660B the last time I looked. Compared to Makro's price of 320B per kg for precisely the same brand leg of frozen lamb! Staggering really that Villa Mart can get away with it.

Don't get me wrong, Villa is great in that they have things that many other places do not but they vastly overcharge for many items that are available elsewhere.

FWIW, the fresh lamb legs (when they have them) are now down to 340B a kilo at Makro.

So in PATTAYA Indian restaurants, if the menu says MUTTON, you will almost definitely be getting LOCAL goat.

There is local goat meat sold in Thailand and it is VERY MILD tasting meat compared to goat in the Americas ... so it can easily fool you.

Some Indian menus will say LAMB and they might still serve goat. If you really need to know, there will be some lost in translation issues, you might have pictures of the ANIMALS to ask for confirmation either way.

That said, I think some places can be relied on to serve lamb when they say lamb. Such as INDIAN BY NATURE. I had an amazing LAMB biryani there and it was definitely lamb meat.

It's annoying to think you're ordering lamb, paying for it, and not getting it, but because of the language thing if the menu says mutton, I don't think that is actually intentionally deceptive.

Personally I like goat meat that tastes super strong like it does in the Americas. To me an Indian goat curry where the goat has almost no flavor isn't the real thing. But for many people as the goat meat is so mild here, it actually works fine as a "lamb" replacement.

Cheers.

One should never eat in an Indian restaurant without checking the garbage bins for empty dog food tins smile.png

Cheers.

One should never eat in an Indian restaurant without checking the garbage bins for empty dog food tins smile.png

You'll go to hell for that one!!!!!! whistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Cheers.

I used to Cook Goat Curry in Australia. Had to drive a long way to get it too but well worth it.

Anyone know where I can buy any in Chiang Mai???

Thanks in advance .

Leaving the ignorance, racism, and general homophobic tenor of your "joke", you might be interested to know that most dogs who are fed by their owners, generally eat leftover Thai food or dry food. Not dog food in tins. This due to cost as much as anything else. I go out walking at dawn most days and the amount of garbage on the streets being eaten and searched for by dogs is an amazing sight. Yes, I live in a mixed Thai and farang neighborhood.

Regarding the taste variance of goat meat, I'm not in tune with that. Thanks for JingJing for those remarks. You learn something every day if you simply read and grasp what you have read. I don't think he's in tune with Argentinian beef but that's for another day.