Mobile phone repair shop recommendation?

ChristianPFC

Can someone recommend a mobile phone repair shop based on good experience?

Some days ago, the touchscreen of my phone (I-mobile IQ 6 bought in July 2013 and have been happy with it since) became poorly responsible (have to touch several times, in some areas touches are misplaced) which causes delays in working with the phone.

Removed the screen protection film, same behavior without film.

Installed app to test screen, it is indeed a hardware problem and not software.

Apart from this and occasional crashes and slow connection (which I attribute to crappy apps and network, not the phone) I am happy with the phone (even original battery is still ok) and hope it can be fixed and I don't have to buy a new one.

There is an i-mobile service center in MBK on the 4th level.

Most kiosks in MBK that advertise repairs will take your phone and say "I come back 5 minute.". They take it somewhere else and you have no idea what's going on. 15 minutes later he comes back and quotes what is often a higher price than you expect.

Go to another kiosk? Same routine. Probably goes back to same repair guy....same price.

Went to i-mobile MBK 4th floor. Repair costs 3020 Baht plus 300 service charge. I don't want to spend that much to repair a 2 year old phone that cost me 8000 when I bought it new.

My concern was more data loss, but your point about checking who actually repairs the phone, and cut out middlemen, is valid. Asked two booths, price around 2500 for screen replacement. One went with the phone to another stall to ask his boss, and I told him I will not let my phone out of sight, so we went together. She quoted him 2000 and 2400 in Thai, he translated to 3000 in English (I have good command of Thai, but leaving the Thais ignorant of this wherever possible can give such insights).

There are many Indian looking people (and speaking English with Indian accent, but one of those I dealt with can read Thai) there.

Now a bit wiser, but it seems I need a new phone! I guess screen is the part that breaks first, pointless to search for a phone with screen intact but other problem for cheap.

I have seen many phones with broken glass in use, I wonder why the manufacturers don't produce phones that become unusable when the glass breaks.

The display screen is manufactured in layers (outer protective glass, anti-glare polarizers, resistive/capacitive sensitive digitizer, LCD, reflective surface backlight) so the functionality depends on what layers aren't damaged.

Surprised to hear you haven't pulled the data off the phone and wiped it.

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised to hear you haven't pulled the data off the phone and wiped it.

I'm still using the phone, with some difficulty. Some applications I now use on my computer when at home.

Reminiscing about my phone, weeks before the touchscreen problem battery and screen were hot a few times. In the same week of touchscreen problem, my camera had a problem as well: I couldn't delete pictures on memory card from camera menu, but when I inserted memory card into computer, it works normally, and after formatting works on camera as usual.

As for buying a new phone: which? (5 or 5.5 inch, removable battery, double SIM, under 8,000 THB).

In another thread you're posting in I mentioned recently purchasing an i-mobile IQ II 'android one'.

Smartphones are becoming a personal preference item. It's hard to give recommendations.

The mid and higher-end Samsung phones seem to be well made, with nice cameras.

We've been trying many of the Asia-centric phones: Asus, Oppo, Lenovo, i-mobile. The next one might be a Huawei.

So far, the i-mobile phones haven't lived long, so I don't like recommending them.