Belarusian skimmers arrested in Bangkok

webfact

Belarusian skimmers arrested in Bangkok

119-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two were arrested in Bangkok after they used cloned ATM cards to withdraw cash from a ATM machine at BTS sky train station in Pathumwan district yesterday.

More than 300 fake ATM cards and 90,000 baht cash were also seized from them.

The arrest of the duo came after two bank clients of Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) complained with the bank that money in their accounts were withdrawn without authorisation.

Investigations were ordered by the bank and it was discovered that cloned ATM cards had been used to withdraw cash in Chonburi areas before.

A monitoring was then deployed and the duo was caught by Chonburi police who traced them to Bangkok as they used the cloned cards to withdraw cash again at the BTS station.

The two admitted to the crime but said it was their first time in Thailand.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/belarusian-skimmers-arrested-in-bangkok

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-30

Oh so since it is only there first time here they should be let free to skim elsewhere? What was the purpose of that information?

This place is alive with skimmers ,I am beggining to think there may be some collusion between insiders at banks and skimmers.

Oh so since it is only there first time here they should be let free to skim elsewhere? What was the purpose of that information?

They must not have known it was illegal in Thailand...being that this was their first time here and all.

BTW, great police work by the BIB.

And very nice job of spreading out all those plastic cards on the table for the photo.

This place is alive with skimmers ,I am beggining to think there may be some collusion between insiders at banks and skimmers.

Who knows, maybe not collusion but the situation is exacerbated by the fact that the banks use ancient technology while charging account fees as though it's state of the art

And the old farts on this forum like to blame overstayers as the reasons why immigration makes it more difficult for them.

The bellarusians are confirmed not to be overstayers?

All documents in perfect order?

You must be one of those I was referring too.

If there were issues with their visa you could rest assured it would have been reported.

Sorry you don,t seem to get it. Foreigners over staying their visas and foreign criminals living and hiding here are the reason behind the visa changes. Gap year party idiots, neo hippies and sex tourists/alcoholics have been taking advantage of the visas for years. the Thai government finally woke up to the fact that they are causing numerous problems. Thousands of dodgy foreigners will now have to leave. I think its great!!

And the old farts on this forum like to blame overstayers as the reasons why immigration makes it more difficult for them.

Had a "Scammer" approach me in my home country, beware as soon as your cash dispenses a "Scammer" will try to distract your attention with a "excuse me sir", while an accomplice removes your card (or cash) and also could leave a dud card.....I will be surprised if it does not (will) happen here.....I knew what was coming so he got the big P!ss Off from me, keeping my eye on the ATM, LOL.....

Please, somebody explain how these monsters get access to personal codes.

Watching you

a small camera

Dud plate on top of the key board..

Must be more..

Oh yer telling your girlfriend wub.png

Sorry you don,t seem to get it. Foreigners over staying their visas and foreign criminals living and hiding here are the reason behind the visa changes. Gap year party idiots, neo hippies and sex tourists/alcoholics have been taking advantage of the visas for years. the Thai government finally woke up to the fact that they are causing numerous problems. Thousands of dodgy foreigners will now have to leave. I think its great!!

Actually, I think your views might be a little too farang-centric. I forget where I was reading it but I recently read something stating that there are nearly 800,000 people living in Thailand on expired visas with the vast majority of them being from Africa, West Asia, and South Asia.

So while we like to think that visa crackdowns are meant to snatch some Euro-hippie on a six month backpacking adventure, a lot of policies are directed at non-farangs. We just get caught up in the crossfire.

So, the part I have difficulty with is the fact that Thailand is a nation of 70 million people and it seems like every ATM skimming is headline news. Now, if you took any other country with 70 million people and sampled the local news, ATM skimming would probably not get a lot of coverage. It might be discussed on the meta-level of how to protect yourself from skimming but I just don't see every single skimming case being Page 3 news in the local newspapers.

That leads me to believe one of the following possible explanations:

1. Thailand actually has a very low skimming rate vs. the size of the population (plus tourism) which is how they can seemingly report every single instance of skimming

2. The press only reports skimming when farangs are involved and the skimming rate is much, much higher nationally

3. The press only reports skimming when perpetrators are caught

Keep in mind that over $8 Billion (yes, with a B) USD is lost by banks annually due to skimming. If every case of skimming that makes it to the local press in Thailand encompasses even only 50% of total skimming cases, Thailand has a fairly low skimming rate. However, it seems far more likely skimming is rampant in Thailand and the press only reports on it when the police call a press conference to show off their detective skills.

So, the part I have difficulty with is the fact that Thailand is a nation of 70 million people and it seems like every ATM skimming is headline news. Now, if you took any other country with 70 million people and sampled the local news, ATM skimming would probably not get a lot of coverage. It might be discussed on the meta-level of how to protect yourself from skimming but I just don't see every single skimming case being Page 3 news in the local newspapers.

That leads me to believe one of the following possible explanations:

1. Thailand actually has a very low skimming rate vs. the size of the population (plus tourism) which is how they can seemingly report every single instance of skimming

2. The press only reports skimming when farangs are involved and the skimming rate is much, much higher nationally

3. The press only reports skimming when perpetrators are caught

Keep in mind that over $8 Billion (yes, with a B) USD is lost by banks annually due to skimming. If every case of skimming that makes it to the local press in Thailand encompasses even only 50% of total skimming cases, Thailand has a fairly low skimming rate. However, it seems far more likely skimming is rampant in Thailand and the press only reports on it when the police call a press conference to show off their detective skills.

You are way overthinking this.

Is this a parody account? Maybe throw in 'chancers', 'layabouts', and 'they should go get a proper job' too.

The bellarusians are confirmed not to be overstayers?

All documents in perfect order?

You must be one of those I was referring too.

If there were issues with their visa you could rest assured it would have been reported.

Get over it.

Go back and play in the other sandpit.

Please somebody find a way to follow up on these skimmers and what happens to them. Jail time? Prison time? Do they all buy their way out of trouble? Do none buy their way out of trouble? Without some feedback or known or advertised or severe penalties, this will never stop.

Please, somebody explain how these monsters get access to personal codes.

sometimes by just standing around and observing, sometimes by having tiny cameras cleverly placed to see the customer's keystrokes.

they can also spray the keypad with something that leaves finger prints on the buttons you touched

then they can usually figure out your pin alot easier especially if some people choose 7777 or something that doesnt use all 4 available buttons

wipe it clean and spray again ,wait for the next customer

there are many ways but fake keypad on top of the real one is most popular and professional looking ...........

You are way overthinking this.

I wish I was but doing a quick TV search shows 841 results for "skimmer." Seems like it's a topic that keeps coming up.

I am glad it is often discussed here since so many of us rely on ATM machines for our cash supply.

For me personally, spending most of my time stateside, I return here with my guard down and reading these threads quickly reminds me to be alert.

For instance, the warning about having something applied to the keys so that it can be seen which buttons were pushed.