Dammed if you do and Dammed if you Don't

In preparing for the application for my unmarried partner to accompany me to the UK next year I am unsure of the best course of action regarding to put a sum of money in her account or not. Why would I do this? Well it would give her the flexibility to buy whatever she want in the UK albeit she has a small sum in the bank of her own. The application specifically asks the question 'How much money will you have for the visit'. Maybe it is a general question and meant more for those who travel alone and not under the care of their partner/sponsor.

The advice of 7x7 in another thread says 'don't pad her account with a lump sum'. and I respect his advice. Then I have friends who have gone through this process who say ' you must put money in her account before she goes to the appointment'.

So chaps please help and advise me. Do I or don't I? I don't want to cause a complication by doing so and I don't want to cause a complication by not doing it! By the way the entire trip - 6 weeks - is being financed by me and have said so in my letter to UKVI.

well realistically, you don't have much option anyway, and what harm will it do if you do put some in ? I'd say yes ......... top hers up but lets see what the experts on TV come up with.

If they ask just say as you stated you will cover the trip however that is her spending money.

No, don't pad the account with funds for the trip, if you're going to fund the trip then explain that you're going to do so, and why it's appropriate to do so, then provide evidence of affordability.

The only appointment is to hand in the supporting evidence, a sum of cash artificially padding the applicants bank balance could well be counterproductive, the cash will be needed in the UK.

• Like 1

I cannot see any problems with putting money into the account but do it openly. Any abnormally large lump sums will need explaining otherwise it is likely to be viewed with suspicion.

As it is not possible to get a joint account for a non-UK resident (at least not easily) I made my gf (now wife) an additional credit cardholder. This was very simple!

It is still necessary to show that the visit is affordable (ie you can pay the credit card bill) but it did show that she would have access to money when required.

Put money in if you wish but better to make it clear you are covering all costs and provide bank statements etc to confirm it is affordable. The ECO is going to look for signs that the applicant may need to work to cover costs! Ironically this was a suggestion when my wife's best friend wanted to visit. The ECO considered she might need to work whilst on two weeks holiday. Ignored the fact that she was married to a multimillionaire!

Edited by bobrussell

What I actually say in the pinned topic is:-

"Do not be tempted to pad the applicant's bank account prior to applying with a lump sum. Not only is it unnecessary, it can also arouse the ECO's suspicions as they will want to know where this money suddenly came from and why."

To be honest, that is directed more at couples where the sponsor is living in the UK and the applicant is applying to visit them there. Your situation is different as you live together in Thailand and have done so for some considerable time.

If you do want to put some money into her account to so she has some spending money whilst in the UK, simply say in your sponsor's letter that this is what you have done.

But as far as her visa application is concerned; it's totally unnecessary; as I also say in the pinned topic:-

"Finance can come from the applicant's resources, the sponsor's, a third party's or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing to the finances should provide evidence of their ability to do so,"

Thank you to everyone who has replied I am most grateful. I have already written my letter and in it I say that I have deposited some money in her account to meet items she might feel like buying for herself so that she does not feel she has to continually ask me for money or to buy presents for her family when she returns at the end of the visit, but have made it clear that all visit costs will be my financial responsibility and that I will be with her throughout the trip.

You have all been extremely helpful. Thank you once again.