Buriram Governor seeks financial support to accommodate growing tourism

webfact

Buriram Governor seeks financial support to accommodate growing tourism

BURIRAM, 2 November 2015 (NNT) - Buriram Governor Seri Srihatrai is seeking a budget allocation from the Ministry of Transport to expand its airport to schedule international flights, amid growing tourism.

The Buriram Governor sought financial support from Transport Minister Akom Termpittayapaisit during a meeting on water management and transportation development. The budget would be spent on expanding two-lane roads in Nang Rong district and the other bound for Buriram Airport to four lanes.

The money will also go to the construction of a passenger terminal building and the expansion of the airport runway to accommodate international flights, in the face of the growing popularity of cultural tourism and motor sport events.

The number of visitors has also increased significantly over the past five years. The Transport Minister said his ministry will look into the budget proposal and discuss with the Ministry of Finance the possibility of providing financial support to the province. Mr. Akom expressed his belief that it should take no longer than two years for the budget to be allocated.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-02 footer_n.gif

Tourism in Buriram???? Is it a dream?

It must be, or a chance for the government to scim a little payday, i could understand if they said Korat ( Nakhon ratchasima ) At least it has a lot more to offer, a lot bigger, and many expats, and tourists there, they used to have an airport what happened to that

It must be, or a chance for the government to scim a little payday, i could understand if they said Korat ( Nakhon ratchasima ) At least it has a lot more to offer, a lot bigger, and many expats, and tourists there, they used to have an airport what happened to that

Korat has Pimmai and that's about. Buriram has the country's top football team, who regularly attract large numbers of fans from Thailand and overseas. It also has the International motor racing circuit which also brings in large numbers of tourists. And don't forget Phanom Rung and Muang Tam which cater for domestic and Intl tourism.

Korat has Pimmai and that's about. Buriram has the country's top football team, who regularly attract large numbers of fans from Thailand and overseas. It also has the International motor racing circuit which also brings in large numbers of tourists. And don't forget Phanom Rung and Muang Tam which cater for domestic and Intl tourism.

True, but it is the most supersticious place in Thailand, and i think Korat is a nicer town

True, but it is the most supersticious place in Thailand, and i think Korat is a nicer town

Korat does not have Newin Chidchob. Buriram does. End off.

Edited by khwaibah

Have the owner of Buriram United kick in the money.whistling.gif

EXACTLY.

He will benefit from full houses for football and motor sport, so let him pay.

Sadly Buriram has little else to offer, unless visitors want to view traffic light controlled roundabouts! <deleted>!

Oh contraire.

Buriram has plenty (and an increasing amount) to offer.

Consider hotels, for example, and compare with a neighbouring city like, say, Surin. Apart from being a crap hole Surin barely has one decent hotel and set of apartments to choose from, Buriram has more than half a dozen godd quality hotels.

Consider sport, for example, and compare with a neighbouring city like, say, Surin. Well, there is nothing to compare - an international race circuit and top football team in the country versus ..... sod all.

Consider facilities catering for Farangs, for example, and compare with a neighbouring city like, say, Surin. Jimmys Sports cafe vs Norbies, Irish Bar vs Farang Connection, ......

The airport has services offered by NOK and Air Asia..... Surin and Korat have nothing. Khon Kaen and Ubon are the next nearest.

Tourism - Buriram has Khao Phanom Rung one of the most popular historical parks in the country plus nearby prasat hin Muang Tam. Khao Kradang in Buriram itself is also popular. I think Korat has Pimai and Surin has................. well it rounds up elephants once a year!

I would say that Buriram has plenty that is worth throwing tourism money at , Newin Chichob has done his bit and will fill his stadia irrespective of tourism support.

Edited by Jip99

And it's got a Zoo / large Mall.

Just spent a few nights in Buriram on a holiday trip round lower Isaan and was very impressed with Buriram and really enjoyed our time there.

The Best Western is an excellent hotel. The Amari hotel next to the football ground is supposed to be better. The former is central Buriram near the Uni. Amari is 10 minutes south of the centre.

The football is very popular, 2nd biggest football stadium in Thailand at 32,000 capacity. When there's no football, the stadium tour and club shop are very popular tourist spots for thais. Very impressive. Thai friend who lives there told us prices go up in Buriram on football weekends...dont know if she's correct or not.

The race course next to the football stadium is also excellent. Saw a 600cc race there on a weekend of motorbike racing.

5 minutes drive away is khao kradung with its hilltop wat and park.

Phanom Rung and Mueng Tam an hour out of Buriram are must see sights and would take up a leisurely day trip. Everybody enjoys visiting the former but for me the latter is best.

I would really recommend a long weekend in Buriram to everybody.

EXACTLY.

Sadly Buriram has little else to offer, unless visitors want to view traffic light controlled roundabouts! <deleted>!

Good point highlighting the proactive local administration in correcting some problems with traffic flow.

You are referring to the elephant roundabout which has forever caused anguish and mayhem because the Thais have never been trained to correctly negotiate roundabouts. Traffic lights were installed to improve traffic flow and avoid the daily incidents that were occurring. A year or so earlier they removed a roundabout on the Jira road for the same reasons.

Traffic flow in both locations is much better and it is safer all round - thank you for pointing that out.

Reading the posts above all seem to be extolling some virtue of Buriram or denigrating the surrounding towns. Fact is that ten years ago there were three flights per week to Buriram whereas now there are three flights per day. Since the great floods of bangkok some businesses have chosen to relocate to Buriram and there is indeed a very successful football team here. There is also motor racing and the Cambodian culture, but having said all that what is there for tourists?

Not a lot except that Buriram is seen as a hidden outpost where rural Thailand can be and is, experienced by the wide eyed innocent traveler looking for something off the beaten track.

Reading the posts above all seem to be extolling some virtue of Buriram or denigrating the surrounding towns. Fact is that ten years ago there were three flights per week to Buriram whereas now there are three flights per day. Since the great floods of bangkok some businesses have chosen to relocate to Buriram and there is indeed a very successful football team here. There is also motor racing and the Cambodian culture, but having said all that what is there for tourists?

Not a lot except that Buriram is seen as a hidden outpost where rural Thailand can be and is, experienced by the wide eyed innocent traveler looking for something off the beaten track.

I wasn't seeking to denigrate neighbouring towns, I was seeking to make a comparison. I am no fan of Surin town (although the people I have met are very nice) and it has little to attract me. Korat is disparate but I agree that the Mall is good (the zoo is almost in Buriram!smile.png ). If I wanted a shopping mall for anything more than Robinsons/Big C etc offer then I would go to Bangkok.

I have probably been on a dozen Buriram/BKK flights in the last year and all have been virtually full - 95% Thais. Your business relocation theory may have merit. I think discounted prices make it economically viable for family members to return to Buriram.

I few months ago I heard Buriram being touted as the future capital in view of it's altitude.

I did laugh at that one.biggrin.png

I would put the demand for international tourist travel to Buriram in the same "Your havin' a laugh" category.

Edited by Jip99

I wasn't seeking to denigrate neighbouring towns, I was seeking to make a comparison. I am no fan of Surin town (although the people I have met are very nice) and it has little to attract me. Korat is disparate but I agree that the Mall is good (the zoo is almost in Buriram!smile.png ). If I wanted a shopping mall for anything more than Robinsons/Big C etc offer then I would go to Bangkok.

I have probably been on a dozen Buriram/BKK flights in the last year and all have been virtually full - 95% Thais. Your business relocation theory may have merit. I think discounted prices make it economically viable for family members to return to Buriram.

I few months ago I heard Buriram being touted as the future capital in view of it's altitude.

I did laugh at that one.biggrin.png

I would put the demand for international tourist travel to Buriram in the same "Your havin' a laugh" category.

Welcome to Buriram. The Himalayas of Thailand. Bring your breathing gear it's 300 metres above sea level.

Just Joking

The trouble with Buriram Airport is that it's so far out of town.

True.

But have you ever tried getting from Don Muaeng or Swampy to the centre of Bangkok, or Gatwick/Heathrow to the centre of London.

I think it is 40km out of Buriram and the airlines offer transport to town - and also to Surin.

EXACTLY.

aren't those known as a circus, or really they are called that, traffic light con.......

The trouble with Buriram Airport is that it's so far out of town.

The drive from Bangkok to Buriram takes about 5 hours off peak. It is a 20 minute drive from Buriram airport into Buriram Muang and that along the mostly four lane route 219. The bits which are still 2 lanes are being widened as we speak. I didn't know there was a bus link from the airport into Buriram as someone mentioned. Useful information.