Nightmare At Floraville

It has been a 3days nightmare here. I will make it short.

We have paid about 250 000 baht deposit and 267 812 baht rent for 4 3bedroom serviced apartment. Not signed any contract yet though.

We really don't like this place and want to check out.

The manager tells us if we check out tomorrow they will keep the deposit(which we only will get back if we stay one full month) and we will have to pay rent for one month even if we check out today. They have daily rentals for 4500-5500+/room, we have told them that we can agree to pay 3x4x5000+=86500 for these 3days(12 nights total), but they refuse to give back our deposit.

They want us to pay 250 000+ 85600=336 000baht for 3nights, which is more than the monthly rate 250 000baht. If keep the room and check out in a month we pay 517 812baht - 250 000baht = 267 812 baht + electricity + water.

I think this is bullshit, we havn't even signed any contract yet.

The manager refuses to see us and the girl in the reception tells us that she can't do anything. So we are stuck with communications with them.

We have talked with tourist police and the guy agrees with our opinion that is unreasonable for us to pay more than one month rent for these 3days. He has told us that we should go to court.

Our 2 options now are.

1. Check out tomorrow, get 182 212 baht back and file a report to the police

2. Leave tomorrow, keep the room empty for one month, and then give them the key and get 250 00baht back.

We really don't want to go to court and have offered them to keep 100 000 baht of our 517812 baht for 3days but they wont agree.

According to the girl they have rules in floraville(which they cant show us) that they will keep the deposit if we don't stay the whole time. Can this be legal even if we haven't signed anything?

Also as I said before, they want us to pay for the 3days we have stayed here. Can they charge us more than 1 month rent for 3days?

If we file a report with the tourist police and then give it to the local police what will happen next?

Should we contact our embassy and see what they think? Should we get a lawyer, a private one? How do you think we should proceed?

I'd say just stay one month (that you've paid for), then get your deposit back. All of the tourist police, lawyer, etc. etc. options will get you nowhere here in Thailand... Is it that bad that you can't stick it out for a month? I suppose if you have some big financial backing and some powerful people on your side, you can do a bit of threatening and go from there, but then again, i'd say just stay for the month you paid for, and get your deposit back in the end...

You must realize that the fact that you don't have a contract is actually better for the landlord than it is for you. You paid them deposit, without a contract... in the eyes of the law, you gave the money to them. You're lucky that they are willing to give you your money back at the end of the month. If staying is not an option, leave the key (or try to find subletters) and then get your deposit back. Just my advice. If you want to go the lawyer route, it will probably cause more headaches than offer any solutions.

Why you paid such huge amount of money without a contract?

Difficult to get back any amount of money in Thailand.

If your company pays , let them do the "talking",Thais have their own ways.

Good luck.

I never liked Floraville , ugly from the outside , inside totally run down.

Should serve as a warning to all of us.

Edited by visarunner

Exactly how did you go about booking this and paying for it?

We paid 250k baht trough a bankwire transfer for deposit and they insisted that we pay one month rent when we checked in.

The bankwire is documented and we got temporary receit for the montly rate we paid when we checked in.

I'd stay for the month and have riotous parties every night. Try to acquire a taste for throwing up down the outside wall of the building...

It won't solve your problem but you might feel better for it...

Simon

We paid 250k baht trough a bankwire transfer for deposit and they insisted that we pay one month rent when we checked in.

The bankwire is documented and we got temporary receit for the montly rate we paid when we checked in.

and booking? through a website etc? call direct? what?

Cancelling a booking after check in CAN incur this kind of insane fees ... You took their product <that they arguably might have been able to let out> off the market. Depends on how it was initially set up.

and booking? through a website etc? call direct? what?

Cancelling a booking after check in CAN incur this kind of insane fees ... You took their product <that they arguably might have been able to let out> off the market. Depends on how it was initially set up.

We had an email conversation back and forth where they told us how to pay.

They CAN incur a fee which is higher than the monthly rate they were supposed to charge if we stayed there the full time?

Edited by roblin

I'd stay for the month and have riotous parties every night. Try to acquire a taste for throwing up down the outside wall of the building...

Simon

cook some noodles, leave the stove on, leave the house... forever.... oops!

Simon

cook some noodles, leave the stove on, leave the house... forever.... oops!

NAW!

much better is leave some fish the whole and nothing but the fish tucked away somewhere in each room and in the furniture oh and the aircon unit ducts

that will attract the type of occupants that resemble the manager :o

A pint of creamy milk distributed in hard to get at places will give you a sense of revenge on your last night.

Will try to remember that name..... "Floraville"

edit: a quick browse of the OP's previous "topics" shows a history of probs with loans and refunds.

See the 2000B loan to a TG, he couldn't get back....... :o

Edited by udon

A pint of creamy milk distributed in hard to get at places will give you a sense of revenge on your last night.

Will try to remember that name..... "Floraville"

edit: a quick browse of the OP's previous "topics" shows a history of probs with loans and refunds.

See the 2000B loan to a TG, he couldn't get back....... :o

yes udon thats a better idea could have been accidental

My niece :D once spilt her milk in my car down the gap between the rear seats she didnt tell me :D and when i cleaned out car a week later nearly threw up :D

didnt smell it earlier as it was a mild winter

had to change the car carpets :D

even jet washing them didnt get the stench out

be a case of them leaving a non returnable deposit :D

Years ago, my former brother-in-law and several friends had the landlord from hel_l. The days before they moved out - without notice - they painted everything black (the cieling, the floors, the walls, and the windows) and, while the paint was wet, they tossed glitter onto the paint.

Roblin, I am not sure what country you are from, but there is nothing strange about the contract if you have ever lived in an apartment in the States.

IF you break the lease before the time is up, it always ends up costing way more money, than it would cost if you stay out the term, and they usually keep the deposit. Besides the fact that most places require at least a 1 month notice prior to terminating a contract.

You may not have signed a contract as of yet, but you agreed (documented by email) prior to checking into the apartment. It is not their fault you do not like the place.

However MOST apartments usually have clauses that let you out, if you have to change jobs and the new job is so many miles away from the current job.. so..that might be an option for you to finangle if you have not already given them a reason for your wanting to leave.

So, try and get a hold of their rental contract and look for ways that are allowed for early termination.

OR.. stay with your option number 2, and keep the key and then (I would say sublet it for the month but then you might need a work permit to do that) let people you know stay there for the month and use the heck out of their ammenities and throw parties every weekend..

What the heck, get something out of it!

Edited by LaReina

I am looking for a modern fully furnished appartment in Bangkok.

What i am looking for is some kind of big scale appartment complex with lots of stuff.

Something like

http://floraville.co.th/

But with a more modern touch like:

http://www.presidentsolitaire.com/hotels/p...ire/default.asp

But a bit cheaper than those two above.

I would prefer some kind of service, maybe not service everyday. I'd prefer to pay a small sum everytime I want service. But all services like laundry,linens etc has to be availible and reasonable priced. Or maybe a serviced appartment.

Reliable Internet is vital since I play online poker for a living. And yes this is legal for westerners to do if you send passport to the sites in advance.

And lots of stuff like sauna, pool, gym, resturant etc etc

A big balcony like on floraville would be nice.

Location around Sukhumvit. Prefer a bit quite green area but with good view if its possible to find this in sukhumvit. Close to taximeter and maybe BTS is a plus.

Any place you could recommend me?

Khran khun khran!

//roblin

guess you lost on this one then whichever way you look at it

stay the month

Just wondering why you have 4 apartments? Got a crowd with you?

Exactly what I was thinking.

When you break down the rates and deposits into four individual apartments it doesn't sound any more of a rip-off than all the other overpriced and poor value rental joints in town. Two mont deposits per unti are standard. 25,000 to 35,000 are standard monthly rents for one-bed apartments. Some are great, many are crap - but the same price.

By now you must recognize (I mean since you're a professional 'gambler') that you kind of brought this on yourself - even if the manager is being a bit uncompromising.

But damage the place and Buddy will just keep your deposit. Have loud parties and the only people you'll p*ss off are your innocent neighbors.

You can ask Sunbelt for help like George suggests. Or one other action might be to write a big stinking advertisement about what a sh*t hole the place is and its bad management and then slap it into the Bangkok Post - and tell the guy you'll run it every day til he pays you back. Only problem with that is the paper may not run it since Floraville is a daily advertiser. You could at least threaten to do that though...

A sad situation.

However DO NOT on any account start trying to place ads in newspapers in Thailand

you may well find yourself faced with a defamation suit, no matter how right you are.

A sad situation.

However DO NOT on any account start trying to place ads in newspapers in Thailand

you may well find yourself faced with a defamation suit, no matter how right you are.

Really? Hmm. Maybe that's why there is no such thing as consumer reporting. When did you ever see a negative report about any big Thai company except the publicly owned ones like THAI or the utilities, etc. Seriously, I can't think of any. Even Shin Corp was only fair game after the Grand Master fled..In the West people love to see Microsoft bashing, Enron collapsing, etc. Not here. Ever see a negative report about the Central Group, C-P or King Power?