Indian court sentences Uber cab driver to life sentence for raping woman passenger

webfact

Indian court sentences Uber cab driver to life sentence for raping woman passenger
English.news.cn

NEW DELHI, Nov. 4 (Xinhua) -- An Indian court Tuesday sentenced Uber cab driver Shiv Kumar Yadav, who raped a woman last year to life in prison till death.

The court said the judiciary must deal with such offenders with an "iron hand" so that every woman in the country feels secure.

"Every woman needs to feel secure in her motherland which necessarily demands dealing with such offenders with an iron hand," Additional Sessions Judge Kaveri Baweja said.

The court also directed the 33-year-old Yadav to pay a fine of 21,000 rupees (320 U.S. dollars).

"The rape committed by the convict was not only against the rape survivor in the case, but also against the society at large," the court said.

Full story: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-11/04/c_134780415.htm

-- Xinhua 2015-11-04

Exactly.

The mention of Uber is, at best, gratuitous, and more likely intentional negative PR, by someone with a vested interest.

BTW, I hate UBER, but only because they exploit drivers so brutally. However, to my knowledge, they don't encourage, condone, or enable rapists.

From now on rapists might consider murdering their victims too...knowing that they will get life anyway..

Stupid politicians.

If they do that they should get the Death Penalty,,,Got nothing to with the politicians only the Law,,,that's the peoples choice,,

That seems a little harsh.

Why? If that happen to your Wife/Daughter/Mother/Granddaughter/Sister,Would you think the same way ?,And the severity level of the crime may have something to do with the sentence.,,,If I would have caught the Filth that tried this on my Daughter,,,I would be in Jail for Torture/Murder. bah.gif