Buying Land

seanocasey

In my experience land doesnt really have a set price due to supply and demand. As farmers usually do not sell their land due to living and working it for generations, I would say if your happy with it, buy it, if not wait it out for another plot. 40k per Rai, isnt much, but obviously put a smaller offer in and see what comes back. Offer 600k for the whole plot and se what they say. good luck.

19 rai land 12 chanote other farm title with 5 rai in eucalyptus trees 4-5 years old with fish pond and rest for rice. Price 770000 baht.

Location approx 3 klms from village approx 70 klms from Buriram.

Is this to much.

Unless you are committed to the area you can do much better for prices in other parts of the country. I bought 18 rai for 140K baht, and wouldn't pay 770K baht for land that was in the middle of the village. We are in remote northeastern part of the country but for sure the prices are no where near what you are talking about.

My advice is look around some more unless you are in a hurry.

Good luck.

Yes - do not rush on that purchase.

It sounds on the high pice for where it is - but there are so many factors to consider.

The first thing is that 5 rai of it is close to been useless becuase of the Eucalyptus trees - and once cut down the soil will be in a mess, but it has tress on it, may be good for a house (because it suggests the land is higher than the land around it)

So you have 14 rai of rice land - will take you a long time to recover 770K from 14rai of rice!

The next question is - why are you buying the land - what do you intend to do with it. Its low enough for rice chances are unless it is filled in it will swamp out in the wet season - so there wont be anything you can plant on it unless you fill it in - and filling in 14rai will cost you a fair bit unless you are lucky enough to find someone who has a ton of earth they want to get rid of. So that will make it even more expensive.

Think hard about this before putting you money down.

Tim

These land questions are always difficult, I'd tend to agree with MF, that it seems on the high side at just over 40,000 bhat a rai. You can always go to the local land office and find out what the offical Gov rate for it is, this will be on the low side but will give you an idea and something to start bargining with

Last year we bought 10 rai up in the central region for 33,000 baht a rai (included 10% commission to a friend) which was man or tapioca.

It is high enough not to be flooded and has a stream running along the bottom for irrigation in the dry season.

There was also another 15 or 20 rai for sale nearer that was on offer at 45,000 baht a rai and that was planted with mango and other trees but that is a bit too expensive for what land goes for around here which is about 30,000 baht a rai.

Maizefarmer Posted Yesterday, 2006-10-04 13:00:39

It sounds on the high pice for where it is - but there are so many factors to consider.

The first thing is that 5 rai of it is close to been useless because of the Eucalyptus trees - and once cut down the soil will be in a mess, but it has trees on it, may be good for a house (because it suggests the land is higher than the land around it)

We had eucalyptus trees up one side of my wifes land which we cut down and used to build the small house and a lot of the big house. We have built a house for the workers and a fish pond on much of that land so it is not a problem for us there.

So you have 14 rai of rice land - will take you a long time to recover 770K from 14rai of rice!

It will take a long time to get your money back if that is to be your sole income but if you don't need to live from it then it is probably a good investment.

Girlfriend wants land for her papa and then will not have to support mama and papa. Land is adjacent to existing land papa owns. She got quite odd when I told her it was costing too much. And told me there was someone else interested in land.

Also told her about land being useless after eucalyptus growing on it. Said I didn’t understand. Know this girl 3 years but after this it seems like I meet her last week.

Called her this afternoon and she was very apologetic about losing her cool and said she did not know why she acted like she did. Told me she did not want to talk about it any more.

Land was to be bought in her name.

This land will be a catalyst in breaking up our relationship

:o

She got quite odd when I told her it was costing too much.

Know this girl 3 years but after this it seems like I meet her last week.

This land will be a catalyst in breaking up our relationship

:o

Let her attitude to your reluctance to immediately fall in with HER plan to spend YOUR money be a lesson to you. Get out now with your Baht 770K still in your bank.

I usually don't give advise about relationships but I'll make an exception...in every relationship there will be things that stress it severely....you can look at this as an opportunity to see how well you two can sit down and communicate if the need should arise from either of you. It might indicate that you can not communicate and then you must decide what to do about that....or it might indicate that you can communicate and it will give you an opportunity to develop your communication skills......either way, something good can come from this difference of views.

Chownah

19 rai land 12 chanote other farm title with 5 rai in eucalyptus trees 4-5 years old with fish pond and rest for rice. Price 770000 baht.

Is this to much.

That is a lot of money to put into a wife's name let alone a girlfriend. :o

Tell you what - lets imagine that this conversation took place back at home - say in the USA, or England, or Germany - or whereever it is you live - and the girl you were having this conversation with was a US, UK girl who lived down the road from you.

Now stop - look at the conversation against this background.

Sincerity, honesty and intergity as we understand it in Western relationships, is no differently understood by Thai's in their relationships (amongst themeselves), but we Westerners so often get confused in trying to put these values into context in cross cultural relationships.

I assure you - its no different 2 + 2 = 4 where ever you are in the world.

............I'll leave it that.

Tim

Is this to much.

From the land in my area I would say that 40,000 baht a rai for rice land if it is irrigatet year round is about right, or at least what the starting asking price is, the land usually sells for a lot less than that. As for somebody else wanting to buy the land they all say that. The eucalyptus land is about ready to be cut now and you should get about 10,000/rai for the trees. It is true that the land is useless now for anything else, but a new crop of trees will grow from the stumps.You could clear cut now or just thing it out and have a sustainable forest. I have read that after ten years of growth the trees start to contribute to the land. The trouble is no one in Thailand lets them grow ten years, five seems to be about max. Issangeorge.

One more point, if the land is adjacent to their existing land, they would probaly be prepared to put a premium on it. Do you know wether the exisitng owners were actualy trying to sell it, or were they asked if the would sell it....makes a difference in the price.

None of us here can tell you if it's expensive or not as land prices vary so much, for example some of our land is road frontage (moderatly busy road about 7km from a small Ampur) anyway someone just up from us has just sold 3 Rai next to ours for 160,000 a rai, 100 meters back it's only worth about 40-50,000/rai. The land behind us we could probaly get for 30,000 a rai, go 3 km into the sticks with dirt road access and it might be down to 20,000 a rai.

You need local knowlage when buying land, start at the "tee din" land office, go to the local banks and see what repo land they have for sale.

I am grateful for all your replies

Maizefarmer

The first thing is that 5 rai of it is close to been useless becuase of the Eucalyptus trees - and once cut down the soil will be in a mess, but it has tress on it, may be good for a house (because it suggests the land is higher than the land around it)

The next question is - why are you buying the land - what do you intend to do with it. Its low enough for rice chances are unless it is filled in it will swamp out in the wet season - so there wont be anything you can plant on it unless you fill it in - and filling in 14rai will cost you a fair bit unless you are lucky enough to find someone who has a ton of earth they want to get rid of. So that will make it even more expensive.

Think hard about this before putting you money down.

Tim

The first thing is that 5 rai of it is close to been useless because of the Eucalyptus trees - and once cut down the soil will be in a mess, but it has trees on it, may be good for a house (because it suggests the land is higher than the land around it)

Random

One more point, if the land is adjacent to their existing land, they would probaly be prepared to put a premium on it. Do you know wether the exisitng owners were actualy trying to sell it, or were they asked if the would sell it....makes a difference in the price.

None of us here can tell you if it's expensive or not as land prices vary so much, for example some of our land is road frontage (moderatly busy road about 7km from a small Ampur) anyway someone just up from us has just sold 3 Rai next to ours for 160,000 a rai, 100 meters back it's only worth about 40-50,000/rai. The land behind us we could probaly get for 30,000 a rai, go 3 km into the sticks with dirt road access and it might be down to 20,000 a rai.

You need local knowlage when buying land, start at the "tee din" land office, go to the local banks and see what repo land they have for sale.

Chownah

I usually don't give advise about relationships but I'll make an exception...in every relationship there will be things that stress it severely....you can look at this as an opportunity to see how well you two can sit down and communicate if the need should arise from either of you. It might indicate that you can not communicate and then you must decide what to do about that....or it might indicate that you can communicate and it will give you an opportunity to develop your communication skills......either way, something good can come from this difference of views.

Sean

but there are so many factors to consider.

There are I imagine many treads that could be taken up on this predicament.

My feelings are to get on with my relationship and not make snap judgments.

Further discussion is warranted to ascertain the true value of this land. As I am not in Thailand till January it would be in my best interest to drop the subject till then.

Edited by seanocasey

Is this to much.

Unless you are committed to the area you can do much better for prices in other parts of the country. I bought 18 rai for 140K baht, and wouldn't pay 770K baht for land that was in the middle of the village. We are in remote northeastern part of the country but for sure the prices are no where near what you are talking about.

My advice is look around some more unless you are in a hurry.

Good luck.

Where abouts in the Province do you live I am intersted in them land prices.

macb

Not sure where the 770 kilos comes from, my family gets 10 times that from 15 rai on purely rain fed land fertilized with limited pig excrementae. that is if one gweun(?) = 10 70 kilo bags. We got twice that from 2.5 rai. land office is the best starting point though because every province is gridded by value for tax purposes. From local experience some Thai ladies 'song san' the sellers and will cost their husbands a much higher price. A friend has recently purchased 13 rai for 1.3 million (wifes advice) and 2 weeks later neighbours with identical land were queing up to sell him more fro a third of that. I think my wife put his right.

Careful is the right word.

Andy

Not sure where the 770 kilos comes from,
I don't know where it came from either :o I think he was on about paying 770,000 bhat for the land. A "gweun" or as I'd say "geeun" (but is probably no more accurate) varies with the crop, peanuts its 15 of the big hessian bags (ga sop). It's different with maize as well I think but can't remember the number

Between Lampang and Phayao we have been buying land at anything between 8k and 40k per rai. 40k being next to a road and the Ana Mai (health centre). The 8k land is uncleared 'brush'. We were offered some 18 rai of mixed rice paddy, mai sak and brush (about 6 of each) on a dirt road about 3km from the village for 340k, my wife told the guy 300k or no deal - we're still waiting.

We've bought about 40 rai for about 800k, which is mostly used for rice and corn.

The brush land we are clearing and planting mai sak.

The main problem is that the land is sold in such small lots (especially when you get close to roads), our 40 rai is spread across 6 different unconnected areas.

I've called time out on more land purchases, unless they are connected to land we already have or have access to a river.

By the way, does anyone have any experience with Buffalo farming, particularly for milk! When I talk to my wife's family about it they think I'm mad - milk a buffalo! :o

If my memory serves me I think that it is the european water buffalo that is used for milk mostly....and it is a different breed from asian buffalo......but of course all mammals give milk so it is possible but my guess is its not economical for asian water buffalo......but I have no direct experience with this at all so don't really know.

Chownah

If my memory serves me I think that it is the european water buffalo that is used for milk mostly....and it is a different breed from asian buffalo......but of course all mammals give milk so it is possible but my guess is its not economical for asian water buffalo......but I have no direct experience with this at all so don't really know.

Chownah

There are different species of Water Buffalo, but the Riverine buffalo usually found in India provides most milk. The yield on Asian water buffalo is only about 60% of the Riverine variety, however the Asian and Riverine versions can interbreed and the offspring produce signiifcantly increased milk yields.

Given the prices of buffalo mozzarella, I would be surprised if a 60% yield was not economical, although interbreeding with the Indian variety would increase the viability.

China has been offering farmers subsidies to start buffalo milk production, as the demand for cheese is rising in China. I'm sure there is rising demand in Thailand too, though it's from a very low base.

I'm not really looking to make a lot of money, just test out the feasibility of it.

But I'm no farmer, so the whole process of dairy farming is a bit of a mystery to me.

Between Lampang and Phayao we have been buying land at anything between 8k and 40k per rai. 40k being next to a road and the Ana Mai (health centre). The 8k land is uncleared 'brush'. We were offered some 18 rai of mixed rice paddy, mai sak and brush (about 6 of each) on a dirt road about 3km from the village for 340k, my wife told the guy 300k or no deal - we're still waiting.

We've bought about 40 rai for about 800k, which is mostly used for rice and corn.

The brush land we are clearing and planting mai sak.

The main problem is that the land is sold in such small lots (especially when you get close to roads), our 40 rai is spread across 6 different unconnected areas.

I've called time out on more land purchases, unless they are connected to land we already have or have access to a river.

By the way, does anyone have any experience with Buffalo farming, particularly for milk! When I talk to my wife's family about it they think I'm mad - milk a buffalo! :o

Yes - you are mad. For every 10 buffalo you milk I'll milk one cow!

Tim

Is this to much.

Sean o casey, I know this will be uncomfortable input.... but it seems pretty clear that your friend has knowingly vastly inflated the price of this land. And you have caught her out in it and hence, the " let's not talk about it anymore". There's no shame in walking away from a business deal or relationship when new facts come to light.

Oh and for the buffalo milk fellow: The milk industry in Thailand is pretty much locked up by the CP Group thru the various milk "co-operatives". It is a 7 day a week struggle for a small dairy farmer to make even ends meet since the prices are eseentially set by CP and the co-op. A slightly better - but not much - prospect is buying and selling cattle for meat.

If you can find a specialty market for buffalo milk, go for it!

Its ###### FOREMOST who are causing the dairy "farmgate" headaches at the moment - but thats another story......

Personal opinion from several people spoken to (all Thai landholders) - they'd be well please if they could off-load 28 of farmland for Baht 770K (considering its proximity to Burriram and the nearest village) ............ despite upping the rai from 19 to 28, it still sounds on the high side.

Tim

Is this to much.

Sean o casey, I know this will be uncomfortable input.... but it seems pretty clear that your friend has knowingly vastly inflated the price of this land. And you have caught her out in it and hence, the " let's not talk about it anymore". There's no shame in walking away from a business deal or relationship when new facts come to light.

Seanocasey,

Well, imho the story sounds more like a case of girlfriend/wife coming up with what she thinks is a fantastic idea, and getting an ice-cold shower when boyfriend/husband fails to be immediately convinced. I've done that a couple of times, then I learnt to wait for the wave of enthusiasm to pass before starting the real discussion. As for the "let's not talk about it anymore", it is a standard reaction (in Thailand) to avoid creating more bad feelings until emotions have cooled down and normal talk can resume (one could even argue that recent political events follow a similar pattern :o ).

Regarding the land, I gather the offer hasn't been fully researched yet (what is the price of neighbouring lands, what is the official price at the land office, what can this land be used for, etc...). Until that has been done, there is no reason to commit to anything, and by the time it is done, the initial plan may have evolved a lot (the price could change, and the surface, and the location, and the family ideas of what they want...), so nothing to worry about just yet.

Good luck,

By the way, I notice you also consider buying 69 rais on another thread?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88055

So the plan is evolving already!

Please read the full thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88055

havent spent any baht as yet and am now reconsidring all after reading all replies to thread.

Just sorted your link our RC

Edited by RamdomChances

SEANOCASEY - my advice is that you ask yourself - what is it you want to do?

When that is decided, then find land that fits those requirments.

Looking for land to do "something" with I think is a bit of a catch 22 situation - no sooner will you have the land, then something else will come along as an option - and round and round you go in circles.

Thats my personal take on it.

Tim