Man Leaps Into Canal to Thank Spirits For Son, Dies

rooster59

Man Leaps Into Canal to Thank Spirits For Son, Dies

14466159561446616031l.jpg

Four rescue workers recover the body of a man who drowned after jumping into a canal to fulfill a spiritual pact he'd made in the event his wife was pregnant with a boy.

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT A man who vowed to the spirits he would jump into a canal if they gave him a son was found dead last night after making good on his promise.

After returning from a hospital where ultrasound confirmed his wife was pregnant with a boy, Naruechat Aksorn was delighted by the news, relatives said.

Relatives and neighbors said the 24-year-old man was happily spreading the good news yesterday afternoon. Late in the evening he disappeared from the house, and they later found him standing at a bridge over the canal. He then jumped into the canal to make good on his votive offering, at which he disappeared into the water as his family looked on.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1446615956

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-04

I want to feel sorry for this guy......but no. What an idiot!! If you can't swim then plan ahead and make a different pact with the spirits, if you are stupid enough to believe in them in the first place.

Condolences to the family and let's hope the boy has his mothers brains.

definitely one for the darwin awards.

Before calling him names like some did, never heard of immersion hypothermia (hydrocution) any one?

In a matter of second the person ( the swimmer) sink straight to the bottom, many times in "jumping" into the water, not while wading in it.

I've seen it years ago with an athlete in his twenties a young soldier, he dived in the sea from the rocks, never came back to the surface, conclusion after autopsy: immersion hypothermia!

Before calling him names like some did, never heard of immersion hypothermia (hydrocution) any one?

In a matter of second the person ( the swimmer) sink straight to the bottom, many times in "jumping" into the water, not while wading in it.

I've seen it years ago with an athlete in his twenties a young soldier, he dived in the sea from the rocks, never came back to the surface, conclusion after autopsy: immersion hypothermia!

Hypothermia? In Thailand?

Today's winner of the Darwin award.

My first thought was the baby now has no dad. My second thought was that he (the child) is probably better off, as so many Thai males do a runner anyway, leaving the child to be brought up by the mother.

Yes Sir! The name hydrocution would be better but it is not used in English.

I never said he died by hypothermia (as you understood) The temperature of the body could be much higher than the one of water so it is rather like an electrocution with the sudden change entering the water, it is rare but happened, it is instant death!

Of course it has nothing to do with hypothermia the very low temperature of the body since its happened in matter of 1/2 seconds, the only name they found in English for Hydrocution as far as I know is "immersion hypothermia"

Obviously the Thai Spirits were very impressed with this man's leap of faith and decide to retain him as one of their own...sad ending for the man's family...

Moral of this story...it is not a good idea to tempt the Sprits...as the risk could cost you everything...

You can get hypothermia in the sea if you are in it long enough. It doesnt have to be cold water to get it.

You can get hypothermia in the sea if you are in it long enough. It doesnt have to be cold water to get it.

Of course, there are timetables with temperatures to rescue a person lost in water before hypothermia takes place, but in this case I never meant it has to do with hypothermia I used the expression "immersion hypothermia" (not same) because I found it as the sole translation of hydrocution which is the term used in Europe.

Of course, there are timetables with temperatures to rescue a person lost in water before hypothermia takes place, but in this case I never meant it has to do with hypothermia I used the expression "immersion hypothermia" (not same) because I found it as the sole translation of hydrocution which is the term used in Europe.

You are correct, hydrocution is a possible cause, it's a kind of heart attack and is usually triggered by impact with water, it is more common in cold water but it can happen in warm water, it often occurs when water is rammed up someones nose or into their mouth, interestingly their's a higher rate of incidence among those experiencing high levels of emotion or excitement.