Does my 1st class insurance allow me to drive a friends car?

alien365

As stated the vehicle is insured rather than the driver.

In fact I would be reticent to drive an uninsured vehicle. If it is not insured, then likely it is not taxed too.

I obviously do not know your financial status, nor location, but I personally would rent a truck for a few days rather than take a chance with this vehicle.

After the replies I received yesterday I had a look in to hiring a truck but there doesn't seem to be any rental companies in my proximity, they are mostly in BKK. I have asked around and people would normally just lend a friends or a local handyman's. I've got one more friend who I will ask if I can lend his but I haven't seen him yet.

On another front I would really like my neighbour to have tax and the compulsory insurance. I wouldn't even mind paying it for him. Whats ironic though is that he earns about 50% more than me so money shouldn't be a problem for him.

Be careful before offering to pay - it's not just a matter of getting it registered this year - it requires paying all the previous back taxes and fines for late payment too.

I didn't know that.Thank you for the warning.

As stated the vehicle is insured rather than the driver.

In fact I would be reticent to drive an uninsured vehicle. If it is not insured, then likely it is not taxed too.

I obviously do not know your financial status, nor location, but I personally would rent a truck for a few days rather than take a chance with this vehicle.

After the replies I received yesterday I had a look in to hiring a truck but there doesn't seem to be any rental companies in my proximity, they are mostly in BKK. I have asked around and people would normally just lend a friends or a local handyman's. I've got one more friend who I will ask if I can lend his but I haven't seen him yet.

On another front I would really like my neighbour to have tax and the compulsory insurance. I wouldn't even mind paying it for him. Whats ironic though is that he earns about 50% more than me so money shouldn't be a problem for him.

Be careful before offering to pay - it's not just a matter of getting it registered this year - it requires paying all the previous back taxes and fines for late payment too.

If the clerk at the DLT is on the ball you would also have to pay any unpaid speeding or parking tickets before they let you tax the vehicle.

OK, Thanks guys. It looks like I am going to have to find another way to pick up my friends sofa. Another friend of mine has a Hilux Vigo but the sofa I plan to collect wont fit in the back as he has the extra cab model and it's definitely not gonna fit in to my little city car.

It'll fit. Leave the tailgate down and find a bit of string. Good god man, this is Thailand. Anything can fit in or on any vehicle with a bit of thought and a few strips of rubber sliced from an old inner tube.

It'll fit. Leave the tailgate down and find a bit of string. Good god man, this is Thailand. Anything can fit in or on any vehicle with a bit of thought and a few strips of rubber sliced from an old inner tube.

Or ...... good god man apply a bit of lateral thinking - sorry meant to say vertical thinking

OK, Thanks guys. It looks like I am going to have to find another way to pick up my friends sofa. Another friend of mine has a Hilux Vigo but the sofa I plan to collect wont fit in the back as he has the extra cab model and it's definitely not gonna fit in to my little city car.

Gunna need more than a bit of string to get his insurance to fit it.

For info I picked the sofa up this evening. Used my neighbours pick up. BUT only because he taxed and insured it after I politely declined his offer. As I said, he's a nice guy. I guess he just needed that extra bit of encouragement to do it.

Feedback on the Isuzu, it was bumpy to start with but I loved the extra grunt under the bonnet, 1st gear seemed a bit pointless though unless I had a tonne in the back.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've learnt a lot for the future.

• 1 month later...

For info I picked the sofa up this evening. Used my neighbours pick up. BUT only because he taxed and insured it after I politely declined his offer. As I said, he's a nice guy. I guess he just needed that extra bit of encouragement to do it.

Feedback on the Isuzu, it was bumpy to start with but I loved the extra grunt under the bonnet, 1st gear seemed a bit pointless though unless I had a tonne in the back.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've learnt a lot for the future.

I rarely use first gear in my pickup. I can out-accelerate most vehicles at traffic lights by taking off in 2nd.

Archived