Does my 1st class insurance allow me to drive a friends car?

alien365

I need a pick up truck to collect something from Bangkok and my neighbour has kindly offered me the use of his Isuzu. The problem is he has no insurance or tax; being a Thai he just pays 100baht to the police officer when stopped. I have my own car with 1st class insurance with Honda and I was hoping that my insurance would offer me some protection if I chose to drive his truck. In the UK, my fully comprehensive cover would often cover me to drive another vehicle. Does anyone know if this is the case here?. My main concern is the compulsory third party insurance.

Thanks

erm, nope. To use his truck would be convenient but I wont use it if I have no protection at all. All I wanted to know is if anyone else has experienced this before, driving someone else's vehicle that is uninsured and if your top class insurance provides any level of protection as the driver of a car.

OK, Thanks guys. It looks like I am going to have to find another way to pick up my friends sofa. Another friend of mine has a Hilux Vigo but the sofa I plan to collect wont fit in the back as he has the extra cab model and it's definitely not gonna fit in to my little city car.

OK, Thanks guys. It looks like I am going to have to find another way to pick up my friends sofa. Another friend of mine has a Hilux Vigo but the sofa I plan to collect wont fit in the back as he has the extra cab model and it's definitely not gonna fit in to my little city car.

Offer your neighbour Bt.500 to go and collect it for you.

Leave the tail gate down, tie sofa up, hang a few plastic bags at the back...smile.png

It has entered my mind but I do envisage the sofa sliding out the back on Borommaratchachonnani. But then a green bottle of est or a red cloth would protect me from that right? I am seriously considering this option though, I would just need to tie it up very securely and buy an amulet.

Offer your neighbour Bt.500 to go and collect it for you.

I might give this one a try too but normally he is quite busy. We don't normally trade in cash though, a bottle of Benmore might sway him though ;)

alien365, on 05 Nov 2015 - 12:59, said:
transam, on 05 Nov 2015 - 12:35, said:
alien365, on 05 Nov 2015 - 12:30, said:

Leave the tail gate down, tie sofa up, hang a few plastic bags at the back...smile.png

It has entered my mind but I do envisage the sofa sliding out the back on Borommaratchachonnani. But then a green bottle of est or a red cloth would protect me from that right? I am seriously considering this option though, I would just need to tie it up very securely and buy an amulet.

HomePro sell string ... not sure if hey sell amulets though

If he is buying the sofa from a store, he should probably just get them to do all the driving and lifting :P

If he is buying the sofa from a store, he should probably just get them to do all the driving and lifting :P

Sofa is free from a good friend, she wants to get rid of it and it saves me about 15-20k on a new one.

Suggest you try Thai Post.

Most people don't even know Thai Post will pick furniture, motorcycles, full household effects, etc., and deliver to your door.

Their fees are very reasonable and they are quite reliable.

Who are you going to believe on this site? Ask your insurance company. They'll know.

You think that it's possible an insurance company will pay a claim on a car that isn't even registered - therefore unroadworthy - and does not have compulsory por ror bor (3rd party) insurance?

Suggest you try Thai Post.

Most people don't even know Thai Post will pick furniture, motorcycles, full household effects, etc., and deliver to your door.

Their fees are very reasonable and they are quite reliable.

They pack and wrap also.

erm, nope. To use his truck would be convenient but I wont use it if I have no protection at all. All I wanted to know is if anyone else has experienced this before, driving someone else's vehicle that is uninsured and if your top class insurance provides any level of protection as the driver of a car.

Your insurance covers your own car only

Who are you going to believe on this site? Ask your insurance company. They'll know.

I just thought it may be a common issue that people on here have encountered. I would rather ask here first than being put on hold for an eternity before being hung up on. Every time I go to Chiang Mai my friend gives me the keys to her second car so I can do what I want during the day but she has insurance so it's no problem.

Trans..........wub.png

I'd back you up on that one. So long as it's got absolutely nothing to do with something that competes with a Toyota :P

Just don't use the elevated road and be ready to pay some teamoney.

No insurance or annual registration/tax paid on the vehicle...sounds like several of my Thai in-laws. They just try to avoid the police checkpoints or made a Bt50 to Bt200 donation to the police when stopped. Some even drive with expired licenses.

But the insurance is tied to the vehicle; not the individual. That's why they have the Vehicle Identification Number on the insurance policy.

As stated the vehicle is insured rather than the driver.

In fact I would be reticent to drive an uninsured vehicle. If it is not insured, then likely it is not taxed too.

I obviously do not know your financial status, nor location, but I personally would rent a truck for a few days rather than take a chance with this vehicle.

In fact I would be reticent to drive an uninsured vehicle. If it is not insured, then likely it is not taxed too.

I obviously do not know your financial status, nor location, but I personally would rent a truck for a few days rather than take a chance with this vehicle.

After the replies I received yesterday I had a look in to hiring a truck but there doesn't seem to be any rental companies in my proximity, they are mostly in BKK. I have asked around and people would normally just lend a friends or a local handyman's. I've got one more friend who I will ask if I can lend his but I haven't seen him yet.

On another front I would really like my neighbour to have tax and the compulsory insurance. I wouldn't even mind paying it for him. Whats ironic though is that he earns about 50% more than me so money shouldn't be a problem for him.

After the replies I received yesterday I had a look in to hiring a truck but there doesn't seem to be any rental companies in my proximity, they are mostly in BKK. I have asked around and people would normally just lend a friends or a local handyman's. I've got one more friend who I will ask if I can lend his but I haven't seen him yet.

On another front I would really like my neighbour to have tax and the compulsory insurance. I wouldn't even mind paying it for him. Whats ironic though is that he earns about 50% more than me so money shouldn't be a problem for him.

Be careful before offering to pay - it's not just a matter of getting it registered this year - it requires paying all the previous back taxes and fines for late payment too.

Archived