METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Well anyway, despite all what the haters say; we have a good news, we don't need to head back to Farangistan, we can have an METV in the region and Sri Lanka is my new favorite country.

Visa Information : Required Document for Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

Notice

Required Document for Multiple – Entry Tourist Visa

1. Visa application form (s) and photograph (s) : Completed and signed visa application form and 2 recent photos (not more than 6 months) size

3.5 x 4.5 cm., except certain nationals more application forms and photos may be required

2. Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)

3. Travel tickets in and out of Thailand

4. 850,000 LKR per person with the last 6 months of financial statement

5. Letter of employment of the applicant

6. Evidence of accommodation reservation in Thailand

7. Application fee is 23,000 LKR

8. Other documents may be requested by Consular officer in addition to the abovementioned documents, or an interview with the applicant, as deemed necessary, without prior notice.

*If the above requirement is not complete, the official will not proceed with your application.

**The Royal Thai Embassy reserves the right to reject any visa application with insufficient documents or if the reasons given are not fully supported. The visa fee is not-refundable.

***The applicant who submits fake documents will be put on the blacklist.

how do you get around #5??

Well anyway, despite all what the haters say; we have a good news, we don't need to head back to Farangistan, we can have an METV in the region and Sri Lanka is my new favorite country.

Notice

1. Visa application form (s) and photograph (s) : Completed and signed visa application form and 2 recent photos (not more than 6 months) size

3.5 x 4.5 cm., except certain nationals more application forms and photos may be required

8. Other documents may be requested by Consular officer in addition to the abovementioned documents, or an interview with the applicant, as deemed necessary, without prior notice.

*If the above requirement is not complete, the official will not proceed with your application.

**The Royal Thai Embassy reserves the right to reject any visa application with insufficient documents or if the reasons given are not fully supported. The visa fee is not-refundable.

I take it you have no problem with #5 which for me is a bigger problem than having to go back to the UK (given I do so twice a year to visit family anyway).

Not wanting to burst any bubble but employment and funds have been asked by all consulates so far.

I doubt very much the UK would any different

Notice

I take it you have no problem with #5 which for me is a bigger problem than having to go back to the UK (given I do so twice a year to visit family anyway).

Not wanting to burst any bubble but employment and funds have been asked by all consulates so far.

No special treatment for us Brits, the scoundrels, that will be a jolly poor show indeed!

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

Notice

not the ottawa embassy

• Like 1

not the ottawa embassy

ok They ask for proof of funds and yes they don't ask for letter of employment, but

1/ you have to be Canadian/resident

2 /it"s super far

http://www.thaiembas...-11-04 metv.pdf

Notice

Very True [emoji17] & if they do ask for proof of employment then METV is of no use to me as I worked in Singapore for the past 6 1/2 years & before that had a LTD company in the UK which I closed down 5 years ago.

Bright side is I turn 50 at the start of Feb (never would have thought of turning 50 as being a "Bright Side") so can get a non-O then, but not ready to settle down in one place/country yet so Tourist Visas feel more "legitimate" to me (even though I've been retired since the end of Jan).

Guess I'll be one of those people who are forced to get the wrong kind of Visa for visiting Thailand.

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

If a Thai Consulate in the USA wanted proof that someone was indeed in the USA and not just their passport when applying for a visa, ...

If they explicity state such a rule at all US consulates, I will not be using this method, even if there is a way to "lie and get away with it." I think it makes sense that the Thai authorities simply want the documents supplied to be properly vetted.

• Like 1

When I first came to South East Asian backpacking, I didn't even think about visas.

I entered Thailand first for 30 days and then left a few days late into Cambodia. I paid about 600 Baht (it was 200 Baht a day back then). I spent 8 days in Cambodia and then got a visa for Vietnam and spent 3 weeks there. I came back to Thailand for a month and then to Hong Kong for a few days. Back to Thailand again for 30 days and then back home.

I was a 'genuine' tourist then. Visas were not a problem and could move around freely. If I wanted to spend more time in Thailand and they expected me to submit all the documents for a 6 month visa, I would have just gone somewhere else.

My point is - I was a genuine tourist then. That was easy to see. People with multiple double entries are more than likely not Thaivisa members' definition of a 'genuine' tourist.

People keep saying this won't affect 'genuine' tourists, but it for sure will have some impact.

It's pretty easy to see who's genuine and who's just living in Thailand with a tourist visa. People need to be processed on a case by case basis.

• Like 1

not the ottawa embassy

ok They ask for proof of funds and yes they don't ask for letter of employment, but

1/ you have to be Canadian/resident

2 /it"s super far

http://www.thaiembas...-11-04 metv.pdf

so that suggests the UK could do the same

When I first came to South East Asian backpacking, I didn't even think about visas.

I entered Thailand first for 30 days and then left a few days late into Cambodia. I paid about 600 Baht (it was 200 Baht a day back then). I spent 8 days in Cambodia and then got a visa for Vietnam and spent 3 weeks there. I came back to Thailand for a month and then to Hong Kong for a few days. Back to Thailand again for 30 days and then back home.

I was a 'genuine' tourist then. Visas were not a problem and could move around freely. If I wanted to spend more time in Thailand and they expected me to submit all the documents for a 6 month visa, I would have just gone somewhere else.

My point is - I was a genuine tourist then. That was easy to see. People with multiple double entries are more than likely not Thaivisa members' definition of a 'genuine' tourist.

People keep saying this won't affect 'genuine' tourists, but it for sure will have some impact.

It's pretty easy to see who's genuine and who's just living in Thailand with a tourist visa. People need to be processed on a case by case basis.

youre narrow definition of genuine tourist is just that" YOURS

The Thai authorities are not in the slightest bit worried about oil workers on month on/off and will continue to welcome them in.

Back to back Tourist visa runners working illegally in Thailand are going to get their azzes kicked.

I think they have done a great job with this. clap2.gif

On the other hand someone working illegally in a job that only Thais are allowed to do, but has gotten a Work Permit to be a "manager" is allowed to stay & work here illegally. Even the unemployed husband & kid who doesn't work has some other visa (Non-O) or something like that because of the Work Permit. Just because the owner of the business (foreigner) has a rich & powerful Thai wife who is good friends with Yinluck so things can get done. How do I know this? A Thai person I know very well works in that company.

no political favours done in your home country?

The Thai authorities are not in the slightest bit worried about oil workers on month on/off and will continue to welcome them in.

Back to back Tourist visa runners working illegally in Thailand are going to get their azzes kicked.

On the other hand someone working illegally in a job that only Thais are allowed to do, but has gotten a Work Permit to be a "manager" is allowed to stay & work here illegally. Even the unemployed husband & kid who doesn't work has some other visa (Non-O) or something like that because of the Work Permit. Just because the owner of the business (foreigner) has a rich & powerful Thai wife who is good friends with Yinluck so things can get done. How do I know this? A Thai person I know very well works in that company.

I'm sure if it were & people found out about it, it would be all over the news as a massive scandal & some serious jail time for the offenders.

Back in the days when a certain council were taking bribes from developers to get applications approved, it was massive news & the whole council got sacked & replaced with new people.

Edited by bbi1

not when they break existing laws, no

not when they break existing laws, no

must be one of the only countries in the world like that then

In addition to the metv being just stupid. The requirements are brain dead. Money in bank??

Anyone with cash in a bank account is misguided.

Letter of employment???? How many people work for themselves or indeed do not need to work because they are wealthly.

Application only can be made in home country??

This no is a fluid world. Many people constantly traveling or working outside of their home country.

Crazy new visa and even more crazy the requirements.

In addition to the metv being just stupid. The requirements are brain dead. Money in bank??

Letter of employment???? How many people work for themselves or indeed do not need to work because they are wealthly.

This no is a fluid world. Many people constantly traveling or working outside of their home country.

few will use it. the consulates will be reduced to selling single entry and non-o and prices will go up drastically to pay their overhead

few will use it. the consulates will be reduced to selling single entry and non-o and prices will go up drastically to pay their overhead

Maybe those consulates/embassies will resort to selling those visas for "seeing friends in Thailand" or "having a Thai gf" that they used to have in the past: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868486-immigrant-o-visa/

On the contrary. The definition of 'genuine' was based on the 'Thaivisa member's definition' at not at all mine.

I was playing devil's advocate. Please read posts carefully, if at all, before jumping on them.

On the contrary. The definition of 'genuine' was based on the 'Thaivisa member's definition' at not at all mine.

I was playing devil's advocate. Please read posts carefully, if at all, before jumping on them.

your words "It's pretty easy to see who's genuine and who's just living in Thailand with a tourist visa"

You changed your tune a bit !

You used to clap both hands at every immigration move...

• Like 1

Can't imagine them shifting many of them.

Still though, number of genuine tourists affected, close to zero.

Number of hanger ons that cannot get a long-term visa but refuse to leave voluntarily, lots and lots.

Aliens have no birth-right to stay here.

If you are married to a local, have a child with a local, study here, work here, are retired here, are volunterring here, there are easy ways to get the appropriate visas and extensions no bother at all.

95%+ of tourists here don't even need a visa and simply enjoy the great V.E. that Thailand offers.

thumbsup.gif

As the Gen has said "Good foreigners in, bad foreigners out"

"As the Gen has said "Good foreigners in, bad foreigners out"

care to elaborate on what "good" and "bad" might mean? It must be so nice to live in a simplistic black and white world....

Bbi1......i doubt they will go back to the days of non o to visit gf etc. You cant even get a non o based on retirement in au anymore. They wish to issue oa.

Jacksam didn't you promise to drop your pants if the METV wasn't available in Laos? laugh.pnglaugh.png

• Like 2

I had imagined that the new metv was a "replacement" for the previous double and triple entry tv. Cleatly it is not. My guess was based on thinking that the metv would be available in nearby consulates. Most likely the ones previously doing double tv etc. The requirement that its only available in home country means it has nothing to do with replacing anything. The single and double is gone and the metv is useless for vast majority.

I feel sorry for people currently living here esp if in relationships and this comes along.

I have not changed any tune. My long history of ed visas i stand by. I always suggested the people abusing ed visa should obtain tv. The abuse of ed visa in years gone by is clearly obvious

Yes i did darren. Happy to drop em say at thaivisa bar in sukhumvit. Will you drop yours if consulates do backflip on the only available in ones own country.

mind you cant see that happening.

i was completely blindsided. The stupidity of the new metv has floored me

• Like 1

your words "It's pretty easy to see who's genuine and who's just living in Thailand with a tourist visa"

Again, this is not my definition. I don't care what people are doing on tourist visas here.

The general consensus is that backpackers here are 'genuine'. People who live in Thailand on tourist visas are not.

This is also how immigration will define tourists, so it's pretty easy to see. Saying this is 'your' definition won't change this dynamic.

Again, I don't care who's on a tourist visa nor do I care what they're doing here. I was playing devil's advocate.

Read.