METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

because your home country is governed by morons you expect thailand to follow suit? Real countries dont allow just any young guy to come in and stay as long as he likes whether you understand their reasoning or not. Live with it.

Well, I think the way most European countries are handling immigration at the moment is far from rational and I am definitely against unregulated immigration. But what is wrong with people moving in who have the means to live and contribute to the economy?

In most "real" countries, you can move in and register as a self-employed person, which you cannot do in Thailand. In "real" countries, you can register a business as a foreigner without ridiculous limitations. I wonder where you come from yourself?

Edited by SS1

I realized already well covered in the previous zillion pages, however, what is of real interest now is how many back to back SETV can some people obtain. This is of serious interest to those that are not covered by the various non o etc.

In reality very few % wise will obtain the new METV. Even young folk taking a gap year etc seem to travel through various asian countries. Cant imagine the chineese and most other tourists taking the metv option. I was completely blindsided by them only being issued in own country. Many times i stated that they would probably be available in places like Vientiane. Was wrong. If i didnt have a non o , I would be anxiously awaiting any shift in attitude to runs surrounding setv. Currently no restriction on how many. Except for back to back at some consulates. Hope the younger folk dont have to look outside los.

Yes. Them Chinese tourists, I think probably none of them will be applying for the METV. The vast bulk of them turn up in Thailand in a tour group, they stay for under a month, and then go home. The independent travellers, very few will stay for more than two months. Hence, the METV is almost irrelevant to Chinese tourists.

• Like 1

because your home country is governed by morons you expect thailand to follow suit? Real countries dont allow just any young guy to come in and stay as long as he likes whether you understand their reasoning or not. Live with it.

Well, I think the way most European countries are handling immigration at the moment is far from rational and I am definitely against unregulated immigration. But what is wrong with people moving in who have the means to live and contribute to the economy?

In most "real" countries, you can move in and register as a self-employed person, which you cannot do in Thailand. In "real" countries, you can register a business as a foreigner without ridiculous limitations. I wonder where you come from yourself?

can I do that in the USA? australia? new zealand? mexico? canada? England? no I cant

• Like 1

They were actually harder on overstayers in the past, in 2010 introducing compulsory prison time even for those surrendering at the airport. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/400387-thai-immigration-introduces-jail-time-for-overstayers/

These things come and go with different governments, there's not necessarily progression over time.

That in reality never came into full effect. It was cancelled shortly after it was announced.

The fact that you do not reside permanently in the UK disqualifies you from applying by post.

What is being suggested may or may not be illegal, but it would be, at the very least, obtaining a visa dishonestly.

We aren't sure of that yet. It might be that their wording means that one needs to be a naturalised citizen with permanent residence status, if not a UK national (who already obviously have that status).

The logic being then bank statements and employment proof if asked for would be easily verified.

And/or their way of ensuring one has an address in the UK to return the passport to.

In which case what he's suggesting isn't dishonest.

I linked a webpage earlier to you saying UK nationals never lose their indefinite leave to remain (aka permanent residence) no matter how long they're out of the country:

http://www.visalogic.net/uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain/4/50

And here's another link that states 'To qualify as a UK or Irish resident, your country of permanent residence is where you are a UK or Irish citizen with a passport, a residential home address in the UK or Ireland and unrestricted right of entry back into this country once you depart. You may be currently at home, travelling or residing in another country at the time'

http://service.worldnomads.com/customer/portal/articles/1063080-what-is-my-country-of-residence-

Let's wait and see.

A UK nationals right to indefinite leave to stay is not the issue. That is an undisputed fact but not relevant to postal applications to the Thai embassy in the UK.

According to a very clear statement on the website anyone (legal residential status being irrelevant) must reside permanently in the UK to apply by post.

The address that the passport is returned to within the UK is also not relevant. The problem you have is that the application form asks for your present address and your permanent address. I am a UK national with a right to indefinitely leave to stay in the UK but i live (reside) permanently in Thailand and my present address is in Thailand.

When you apply for your METV via post from Cambodia or Hong Kong, having lived here months/years, what will you give on the application as your present and permanent addresses?

• Like 1

They were actually harder on overstayers in the past, in 2010 introducing compulsory prison time even for those surrendering at the airport. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/400387-thai-immigration-introduces-jail-time-for-overstayers/

These things come and go with different governments, there's not necessarily progression over time.

That was not introduced. It is, however, already law that any overstayer can be jailed for up to 2 years although not enforced.

Immigration proposed the new bans last year and although not enforced yet it has hung around since, and i don't see immigration, especially now they have the endorsement of the MoI, backing down until it's introduced.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Vientiane and Savannakhet packed next week I bet.

Let's see how it will all pan out.

I find it hard to believe that Vientiane will not accept non nationals eventually, especially with Malaysia doing it.

Malaysia is still doing single entry tourist visas for non Malaysians and residents. I have seen nothing stating otherwise.

I find it hard to believe that Vientiane will not accept non nationals eventually, especially with Malaysia doing it.

KL is already known to be one of the more "difficult" places in which to obtain a visa.

The link lists KL's minimum requirements for issuing a tourist visa....................

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html

Malaysia is still doing single entry tourist visas for non Malaysians and residents. I have seen nothing stating otherwise.

Malaysia does METV for foreigners except the usual African list ones

Here is the list, it's what it says on the website

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/files/services-20150909-173935-504463.pdf

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TOURIST VISA (TR)
Purpose: for Holiday or Vacation
Qualification:
Applicant from any of the listed countries must have Permanent Residence in Malaysia.
Required documents:
1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s).
2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months).
3. Original Letter from employer to certify the employment.
4. Original letter for bank account confirmation from the bank and Bank statement.
5. Confirmed air ticket and hotel booking.
6. Supporting documents, i.e.,
6.1 Letter from the school/college/university certified by authorized school director and affixed by the seal of the school/college/university. or
6.2 Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse’ identity card.
Visa Fee
Single entry: RM 150 (effective 1 Sept. 2015)
Multiple entries (6-month): RM 750 (effective 13 Nov. 2015)
Gratis: Nationals of Malaysia, Singapore, Rep. of Korea and Tunisia (fee exempted)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/files/services-20150909-173935-504463.pdf

Qualification:

Applicant from any of the listed countries must have Permanent Residence in Malaysia.

Required documents:

1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s).

2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months).

4. Original letter for bank account confirmation from the bank and Bank statement.

6.1 Letter from the school/college/university certified by authorized school director and affixed by the seal of the school/college/university. or

6.2 Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse’ identity card.

Visa Fee

Gratis: Nationals of Malaysia, Singapore, Rep. of Korea and Tunisia (fee exempted)

That is the same list of requirements they have had on their website for some time now. All they have done is add the fee for the METV.

You can be sure they will not do The METV. They just have not posted the requirement for it yet.

• Like 2

can I do that in the USA? australia? new zealand? mexico? canada? England? no I cant

Ayjaydee. How's this for a comment. You're right, foreigners (non EU people) who have a bit of money can't go to England, and live there for the long-term (we're talking about people who don't want to work, don't want to marry a British person, they just want to stay in Britain, they are not going to be subsidised by the government in any way). But, how many foreigners actually want to go to England, and do this ? Already, people from France and Germany are allowed to go to Britain, and stay forever (lets forget about whether they can claim social security or not). There's not that many of these people who are actually in England, (they are from France or Germany) and they simply live there, and spend their money. If Britain was to allow Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc, to live in Britain, they can't work, they're not going to be subsidised, they will spend their own money, well, I really don't think this will mean a flood of new foreigners will be entering Britain. And if they did, they will probably be working illegally (these people are goping to be given work permits).

Now, what about Thailand ? Thailand does actually have a large number of foreigners, they don't work, they spend their money, they just want to live in Thailand. How does Thailand benefit by removing some of those foreigners ? The ones who are under 50 ? Surely, you agree, Thailand is going to lose money ?

For myself, okay, if Thailand doesn't allow me to stay, okay, I might move to Cambodia. I'm not going to work there. I'ill just pay rent to a Cambodian landlord, and change my pounds into Cambodian money, and use it to pay for my beer and food. And other stuff too. So, Cambodia gets my money, not Thailand.

You mentioned about how our home country might be run by morons ? Does this mean that Thailand is doing something that is moronic ?

Basically, Britain stands to gain little by allowing a load of foreigners who have got money to stay long-term in Britain, and they're not going to work. This is because not that many foreigners are going to turn up anyway. And the ones who do, some (most) will work illegally. Thailand isn't in the same situation. Thailand already rakes in good money from such foreigners, it might lose a fair bit of money if it boots out such foreigners.

Qualification:

Required documents:

Visa Fee

That is the same list of requirements they have had on their website for some time now. All they have done is add the fee for the METV.

You can be sure they will not do The METV. They just have not posted the requirement for it yet.

Would they add the price without the requirements?

May be..... sounds unlikely, though

I never looked at their previous requirements but that looks like an awful lot for a simple TR visa especially letter of employment and bank statements. People getting visa from Malaysia never reported having to provide all these documents.

Especially notarized documents, never heard of members stating they had to provide notarized bank statement and letter of employment for a Tourist visa

Documents from foreign countries must be notarized by the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission or Notary public and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia
Edited by Kitsune

Name some " Real countries "

Qualification:
Required documents:
Visa Fee

MFA informed us their will be no METV in Malaysia for any of our tour clients from Europe if they are not legal resident in Malaysia. We have 10 country branches and it covers Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Cambodia, China & HK and Japan.

I mentioned it two weeks ago already that METV will only be available for citizens and qualified residents for each country.

Their will also be more changes coming soon for None-Im-ME-O+B and everyone can expect next year to head home if they want one year multiply entry visas for O and B visas but Single Entry will still be issued. By next year the visa mills in Pattaya will be gone

• Like 2

MFA informed us their will be no METV in Malaysia for any of our tour clients from Europe if they are not legal resident in Malaysia. We have 10 country branches and it covers Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Cambodia, China & HK and Japan.

I mentioned it two weeks ago already that METV will only be available for citizens and qualified residents for each country.

Their will also be more changes coming soon for None-Im-ME-O+B and everyone can expect next year to head home if they want one year multiply entry visas for O and B visas but Single Entry will still be issued. By next year the visa mills in Pattaya will be gone

single entries back to back too?

Qualification:
Required documents:
Visa Fee

I know, but this is what MFA says as a general rule and as you very well know, each consulate has always adapted these rules to their best suited needs.

Has Vientiane ever asked for 20K for a TR visa ? Non they did not.

Has Bali required hotel booking as Jakarta embassy demanded it? No they accept rental agreements

Has Savannakhet ever asked for funds to get one year non-o based on family,like the other consulates? No they did not.

The list of consulates and embassy that don't strictly apply the rules, and adapt them is endless

Elviajero, sadly i like your correct. Partly my thinking that some neighbouring countries would issue the metv to people not resident was that there seems very little point to have the metv without limits to number if back to back setv. Sadly this may hit hard the people not able to obtain other options to remain. I wonder how many may opt to just overstay. Many have developed relationships etc. Hope they can stay somehow.

The "overstay" option is about to be taken off the table, for the few who were willing to play that risky game.

Non-METV options still remain:

Volunteer, Edu, and SETVs done in rotation via mutliple nearby consulates (not just Laos), mixed with VisaExempts, followed by a new passport every 2 years. Maybe a bit shorter on the passport-renewals, if consulates from "country X" start looking at visas from "country Y" in making their decision on whether to grant a SETV.

But anyone who has been here awhile, as visible on the Immigration computers, should be prepared with the required cash, plus documented-proof your money comes from an overseas source. Maybe only 2 VisaExempts per year, to keep that "red light" from blinking.

Unless I find the "mail in" method to supply METV applications to be free from any negative consequences, the above is the path I will be following. If this path gets closed, then maybe fly to Hawaii for an METV - or maybe go with the Volunteer route. Will cross those bridges when I reach them.

Qualification:
Required documents:
Visa Fee

I know, but this is what MFA says as a general rule and as you very well know, each consulate has always adapted these rules to their best suited needs.

Has Bali required hotel booking as Jakarta embassy demanded it? No they accept rental agreements

Has Savannakhet ever asked for funds to get one year non-o based on family,like the other consulates? No they did not.

The list of consulates and embassy that don't strictly apply the rules, and adapt them is endless

It will take them some time to toe everyone (consulates) in line but my post was mainly focused on the METV visas and future changes to Multiply O/B visas.

For consulates their certainly will be changes coming as they have been very lax in issuing visas and I am thinking mainly on Savannaket and Penang. To clean up the immigration act of Thailand the government of Thailand has to clean up their visa mills in Penang and Savannaket, I was 6-7 years ago once at the consulate in Penang (via agent) and was sitting at the Banana guesthouse and most of the peoples I met run bars in Phuket, worked for timeshare companies in Phuket, were married to a Thai or English teachers. They all went for tourist visas and if I remember correctly tourist visas have been offered free of charge during that time. I was their for a NoneB visa.

• Like 1

Qualification:
Required documents:
Visa Fee

It will take them some time to toe everyone (consulates) in line but my post was mainly focused on the METV visas and future changes to Multiply O/B visas.

For consulates their certainly will be changes coming as they have been very lax in issuing visas and I am thinking mainly on Savannaket and Penang. To clean up the immigration act of Thailand the government of Thailand has to clean up their visa mills in Penang and Savannaket, I was 6-7 years ago once at the consulate in Penang (via agent) and was sitting at the Banana guesthouse and most of the peoples I met run bars in Phuket, worked for timeshare companies in Phuket, were married to a Thai or English teachers. They all went for tourist visas and if I remember correctly tourist visas have been offered free of charge during that time. I was their for a NoneB visa.

Okay, tell me where your getting this information on and what changes are coming? Is this pure speculation or do you have hard evidence?

I believe you 100% that it is the MFA's wishes to "clean up" immigration act, although that term sounds highly inappropriate, when it entails the destiny of people with may be families and ties here, and whose life might change dramatically. The time when Tourist visa was free of charge is long gone, whether it's a good thing or not, is irrelevant. They decide we abide.

But anyway, back to METV, the Malaysian embassy website is, in my opinion, a classic face act; They are in appearance keeping in line with the rule and stating straight away that it is available for residents.....BUT, but but, when you open the link you realize the only people,its not available for are the usual Africans and Middle East countries that everyone seems to hate and have always been refused.

So in other words its business as usual, except that we will have to provide notarized letters of employment and bank statement.

Classic example of Thainess if you ask me ! smile.png

Qualification:

stoicccc

I think 2-3 entries will not be a problem.

totally thaied up

Absolute no speculations at all but the infos comes in part from our CEO, MFA and TAT.

You will be surprised how much the Thai government (both MFA and TAT) is interacting with inbound operators and airlines as we are always effected first on any regulation changes and the Thais want to clear their back to not have another Erawan Shrine bombing. That's why I keep saying all those regulations is not against the farangs but Thailand now wants to be on par with the rest of the world (Asia).

• Like 1

Would they add the price without the requirements?

May be..... sounds unlikely, though

I never looked at their previous requirements but that looks like an awful lot for a simple TR visa especially letter of employment and bank statements. People getting visa from Malaysia never reported having to provide all these documents.

Especially notarized documents, never heard of members stating they had to provide notarized bank statement and letter of employment for a Tourist visa

Documents from foreign countries must be notarized by the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission or Notary public and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia

London has!

I believe you 100% that it is the MFA's wishes to "clean up" immigration act, although that term sounds highly inappropriate, when it entails the destiny of people with may be families and ties here, and whose life might change dramatically. The time when Tourist visa was free of charge is long gone, whether it's a good thing or not, is irrelevant. They decide we abide.

But anyway, back to METV, the Malaysian embassy website is, in my opinion, a classic face act; They are in appearance keeping in line with the rule and stating straight away that it is available for residents.....BUT, but but, when you open the link you realize the only people,its not available for are the usual Africans and Middle East countries that everyone seems to hate and have always been refused.

So in other words its business as usual, except that we will have to provide notarized letters of employment and bank statement.

Classic example of Thainess if you ask me ! smile.png

Qualification:

Only 1% of all foreigners that reside in Malaysia have Permanent residence status. To have a PR status you have to be a Muslim, speak the Malay language fluently. A lot of MM2H long-term visa holders have no PR status but they are of course permitted to stay in Malaysia and so do all the other foreigners that work in Malaysia. Its those peoples that I might apply for the visa, besides of course the Malaysians.

A lot of foreigners work in Malaysia and love to drop over to Phuket, Bangkok or Hatyai for a weekend and their are people that come every few months to Thailand, alone for shopping.

In one week we we will see but I stand by my words that the METV visa is only available in someone's home country and this time Penang, Savannaket and Bali have to follow the rules that by the MFA.

• Like 2

stoicccc

I think 2-3 entries will not be a problem.

totally thaied up

Absolute no speculations at all but the infos comes in part from our CEO, MFA and TAT.

You will be surprised how much the Thai government (both MFA and TAT) is interacting with inbound operators and airlines as we are always effected first on any regulation changes and the Thais want to clear their back to not have another Erawan Shrine bombing. That's why I keep saying all those regulations is not against the farangs but Thailand now wants to be on par with the rest of the world (Asia).

Thank you for your response. I think going home now will be my only option. After 8 years with my gay (trans-gender) partner and never ending Visa stress, breaking up over forces you cannot control really sucks.

Frankly, I have had enough. I do the same as any married guy here from supporting her to paying her sisters University education but because we cannot be legally recognized as a couple an due to my younger age, I am really stuffed.

Why should I pay 500K for a Visa that I only need for 3 years. It is blanket bribery!

• Like 1