METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

stoicccc

I think 2-3 entries will not be a problem.

totally thaied up

Absolute no speculations at all but the infos comes in part from our CEO, MFA and TAT.

You will be surprised how much the Thai government (both MFA and TAT) is interacting with inbound operators and airlines as we are always effected first on any regulation changes and the Thais want to clear their back to not have another Erawan Shrine bombing. That's why I keep saying all those regulations is not against the farangs but Thailand now wants to be on par with the rest of the world (Asia).

Thank you for your response. I think going home now will be my only option. After 8 years with my gay (trans-gender) partner and never ending Visa stress, breaking up over forces you cannot control really sucks.

Frankly, I have had enough. I do the same as any married guy here from supporting her to paying her sisters University education but because we cannot be legally recognized as a couple an due to my younger age, I am really stuffed.

Why should I pay 500K for a Visa that I only need for 3 years. It is blanket bribery!

Many Western countries will offer visas to the partners of LBGT people.

Thank you ubonjoe and elviajero. Somehow strange.

Then it looks, that Embassy's and Consulates got informed with an "idea" of upcoming requirements? Then the Embassy's and Consulates did update their websites with all the requirements which could be possible to be safe? It could explain why still many Consulates don't even mention the new METV. It sounds somehow, the requirements could change in the last minute, as soon they get the definitive / final instructions. May be this is related to; Thai ambassadors and consul generals worldwide are set to meet during Nov 12-14

From the Link given by elviajero

The METV scheme aims to boost Thailand’s tourism industry and Thailand’s readiness for the ASEAN Community at the end of this year.

My only advise; don't panicking. Wait and see.

smile.png

Edited by alocacoc

stoicccc

totally thaied up

Absolute no speculations at all but the infos comes in part from our CEO, MFA and TAT.

You will be surprised how much the Thai government (both MFA and TAT) is interacting with inbound operators and airlines as we are always effected first on any regulation changes and the Thais want to clear their back to not have another Erawan Shrine bombing. That's why I keep saying all those regulations is not against the farangs but Thailand now wants to be on par with the rest of the world (Asia).

Thank you for your response. I think going home now will be my only option. After 8 years with my gay (trans-gender) partner and never ending Visa stress, breaking up over forces you cannot control really sucks.

Frankly, I have had enough. I do the same as any married guy here from supporting her to paying her sisters University education but because we cannot be legally recognized as a couple an due to my younger age, I am really stuffed.

Why should I pay 500K for a Visa that I only need for 3 years. It is blanket bribery!

I know you are in a complicated situation but you can always go back to your home country and apply an METV visa or setup a company in Thailand and get a work permit for you. Why on earth would you break up with your partner that you are in love with for such a long time just for a visa.

If you and your partner have 500k go for the PE and you two can stay together. In 3 years you can get a retirement extension of stay. Three years is not that long more.

• Like 1

because your home country is governed by morons you expect thailand to follow suit? Real countries dont allow just any young guy to come in and stay as long as he likes whether you understand their reasoning or not. Live with it.

Well, I think the way most European countries are handling immigration at the moment is far from rational and I am definitely against unregulated immigration. But what is wrong with people moving in who have the means to live and contribute to the economy?

In most "real" countries, you can move in and register as a self-employed person, which you cannot do in Thailand. In "real" countries, you can register a business as a foreigner without ridiculous limitations. I wonder where you come from yourself?

can I do that in the USA? australia? new zealand? mexico? canada? England? no I cant

Ayjaydee. How's this for a comment. You're right, foreigners (non EU people) who have a bit of money can't go to England, and live there for the long-term (we're talking about people who don't want to work, don't want to marry a British person, they just want to stay in Britain, they are not going to be subsidised by the government in any way). But, how many foreigners actually want to go to England, and do this ? Already, people from France and Germany are allowed to go to Britain, and stay forever (lets forget about whether they can claim social security or not). There's not that many of these people who are actually in England, (they are from France or Germany) and they simply live there, and spend their money. If Britain was to allow Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc, to live in Britain, they can't work, they're not going to be subsidised, they will spend their own money, well, I really don't think this will mean a flood of new foreigners will be entering Britain. And if they did, they will probably be working illegally (these people are goping to be given work permits).

Now, what about Thailand ? Thailand does actually have a large number of foreigners, they don't work, they spend their money, they just want to live in Thailand. How does Thailand benefit by removing some of those foreigners ? The ones who are under 50 ? Surely, you agree, Thailand is going to lose money ?

For myself, okay, if Thailand doesn't allow me to stay, okay, I might move to Cambodia. I'm not going to work there. I'ill just pay rent to a Cambodian landlord, and change my pounds into Cambodian money, and use it to pay for my beer and food. And other stuff too. So, Cambodia gets my money, not Thailand.

You mentioned about how our home country might be run by morons ? Does this mean that Thailand is doing something that is moronic ?

Basically, Britain stands to gain little by allowing a load of foreigners who have got money to stay long-term in Britain, and they're not going to work. This is because not that many foreigners are going to turn up anyway. And the ones who do, some (most) will work illegally. Thailand isn't in the same situation. Thailand already rakes in good money from such foreigners, it might lose a fair bit of money if it boots out such foreigners.

UK does allow Foreigners to remain indefinitely (or at least fast tracks their ILR) if they invest a certain amount of money (IIRC It's £1Million-£1.5Million)

As does Singapore (s$20Million)

And as does Thailand (10Million THB ), it's called an Investment Visa.

Edited by JB300

Only 1% of all foreigners that reside in Malaysia have Permanent residence status. To have a PR status you have to be a Muslim, speak the Malay language fluently. A lot of MM2H long-term visa holders have no PR status but they are of course permitted to stay in Malaysia and so do all the other foreigners that work in Malaysia. Its those peoples that I might apply for the visa, besides of course the Malaysians.

A lot of foreigners work in Malaysia and love to drop over to Phuket, Bangkok or Hatyai for a weekend and their are people that come every few months to Thailand, alone for shopping.

In one week we we will see but I stand by my words that the METV visa is only available in someone's home country and this time Penang, Savannaket and Bali have to follow the rules that by the MFA.

Malaysian residents weekend shoppers are not interested by METV.

Embassies have to follow the rules ....or what?

I have never seen a Thai embassy requirement list that does not differ from one country to another.

Even within Thailand they can"t standardize their own rules, so forget outside Thailand.

This is Thailand where immigration in Pattaya ask students to provide TM28 whereas Bangkok does not. In the North immigration pays impromptu visits to retirees but not in the rest of the country. In Nongkhai a student needs a letter from you school if he wish to exit the country, but does need one if he flies to Vientiane. Doing border runs, you can get refused at some border but accepted at the next one.

Every consulate, every immigration office, every border, even every immigration officer has its own version of the law and that, it is not changing anytime soon.

Edited by Kitsune

Only 1% of all foreigners that reside in Malaysia have Permanent residence status. To have a PR status you have to be a Muslim, speak the Malay language fluently. A lot of MM2H long-term visa holders have no PR status but they are of course permitted to stay in Malaysia and so do all the other foreigners that work in Malaysia. Its those peoples that I might apply for the visa, besides of course the Malaysians.

A lot of foreigners work in Malaysia and love to drop over to Phuket, Bangkok or Hatyai for a weekend and their are people that come every few months to Thailand, alone for shopping.

In one week we we will see but I stand by my words that the METV visa is only available in someone's home country and this time Penang, Savannaket and Bali have to follow the rules that by the MFA.

I have never seen a Thai embassy requirement list that does not differ from one country to another.

This is Thailand where immigration in Pattaya ask students to provide TM28 whereas Bangkok does not. In the North immigration pays impromptu visits to retirees but not in the rest of the country. In Nongkhai a student needs a letter from you school if he wish to exit the country, but does need one if he flies to Vientiane. Doing border runs, you can get refused at some border but accepted at the next one.

Every consulate, every immigration office, every border, even every immigration officer has its own version of the law and that, it is not changing anytime soon.

Yes requirements can differ but this is a requirement about nationality and residential status which are fundamental to qualifying to apply. Why would you think Malaysia will have special dispensation.

It is not unknown for a visa to only be issued in a persons home country or a country they have permanent residency.

stoicccc

totally thaied up

I know you are in a complicated situation but you can always go back to your home country and apply an METV visa or setup a company in Thailand and get a work permit for you. Why on earth would you break up with your partner that you are in love with for such a long time just for a visa.

If you and your partner have 500k go for the PE and you two can stay together. In 3 years you can get a retirement extension of stay. Three years is not that long more.

Or marry a willing Thai man - the rules for extensions are so easy, compared to a farang man.

Divorce also a doddle after 3 years smile.png or you may be happy with the arrangement laugh.png

Even within Thailand they can"t standardize their own rules, so forget outside Thailand.

Once things is standardize the rules will be all the same but it will take a while to implement.

Would they add the price without the requirements?

May be..... sounds unlikely, though

I never looked at their previous requirements but that looks like an awful lot for a simple TR visa especially letter of employment and bank statements. People getting visa from Malaysia never reported having to provide all these documents.

Especially notarized documents, never heard of members stating they had to provide notarized bank statement and letter of employment for a Tourist visa

Documents from foreign countries must be notarized by the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission or Notary public and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia

London has!

you mean pre-METV?

stoicccc

totally thaied up

Thailand has to grow up as a nation and understand that terrorism is now a fact of life of any International country.

If you believe that Erawan is not a scapegoat to harden laws on Farangs, you believe anything.

Laws have been changing in that direction way before bombing.

Its just an excuse.

Sure, not all Thai embassies and consulates have the same requirements for getting a visa, but some requirements are flexible and some are absolute. Have you ever heard of an embassy that issues Non OA visas to people under 50, or (maybe more relevant to this discussion) to people who are neither citizens or residents of that country?

Sophon

• Like 1

Malaysia does METV for foreigners except the usual African list ones

Here is the list, it's what it says on the website

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/files/services-20150909-173935-504463.pdf

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TOURIST VISA (TR)
Purpose: for Holiday or Vacation
Qualification:
Applicant from any of the listed countries must have Permanent Residence in Malaysia.
Required documents:
1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s).
2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months).
3. Original Letter from employer to certify the employment.
4. Original letter for bank account confirmation from the bank and Bank statement.
5. Confirmed air ticket and hotel booking.
6. Supporting documents, i.e.,
6.1 Letter from the school/college/university certified by authorized school director and affixed by the seal of the school/college/university. or
6.2 Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse’ identity card.
Visa Fee
Single entry: RM 150 (effective 1 Sept. 2015)
Multiple entries (6-month): RM 750 (effective 13 Nov. 2015)
Gratis: Nationals of Malaysia, Singapore, Rep. of Korea and Tunisia (fee exempted)

MFA informed us their will be no METV in Malaysia for any of our tour clients from Europe if they are not legal resident in Malaysia. We have 10 country branches and it covers Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Cambodia, China & HK and Japan.

I mentioned it two weeks ago already that METV will only be available for citizens and qualified residents for each country.

Their will also be more changes coming soon for None-Im-ME-O+B and everyone can expect next year to head home if they want one year multiply entry visas for O and B visas but Single Entry will still be issued. By next year the visa mills in Pattaya will be gone

I know, but this is what MFA says as a general rule and as you very well know, each consulate has always adapted these rules to their best suited needs.

Has Vientiane ever asked for 20K for a TR visa ? Non they did not.

Has Bali required hotel booking as Jakarta embassy demanded it? No they accept rental agreements

Has Savannakhet ever asked for funds to get one year non-o based on family,like the other consulates? No they did not.

The list of consulates and embassy that don't strictly apply the rules, and adapt them is endless

I hope you are right Kitsune. If MobileContent information is correct about "...more changes coming soon..." all those that are sitting on the sidelines cheering on The General and his cohorts will get a rude awakening when they find out they are next on the 'chopping block'.

stoicccc

totally thaied up

"[T]rans-gender" is one word...and according to the resident T-V foodie, it's not a gay thing.

As for the PE visa, can you really put a price on true love?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Has Savannakhet posted their requirements for METV yet?

Apparently not yet, but there is no reason to believe that the requirements in Savannakhet will be different from those in Vientiane, posted here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868729-metv-visa-vientiane-laos-its-official/?p=10047856#entry10047856

Sure, not all Thai embassies and consulates have the same requirements for getting a visa, but some requirements are flexible and some are absolute. Have you ever heard of an embassy that issues Non OA visas to people under 50, or (maybe more relevant to this discussion) to people who are neither citizens or residents of that country?

Sophon

I agree you cannot get a retirement visa under 50, but that's too obvious isn't it? Your passport does show your age there is no way around that. Anybody checking your passport would see you are under 50, and that therefore your visa is moot.

it's not like a consulate that would give out a one year non-o without proof of funds, I mean who is going to know how it was delivered?

Or incidentally no one knows, just by looking at your passport, if you have semi/full residency in the neighboring country where you acquired your METV visa. It's not like a Thai immigration officer is going to ask you to provide residency permit or even know what a residency permit looks like in an other country.

Sophon

I agree you cannot get a retirement visa under 50, but that's too obvious isn't it? Your passport does show your age there is no way around that. Anybody checking your passport would see you are under 50, and that therefore your visa is moot.

it's not like a consulate that would give out a one year non-o without proof of funds, I mean who is going to know how it was delivered?

Or incidentally no one knows, just by looking at your passport, if you have semi/full residency in the neighboring country where you acquired your METV visa. It's not like a Thai immigration officer is going to ask you to provide residency permit or even know what a residency permit looks like in an other country.

That's why I brought up the second point about where a Non OA is issued. I have never heard a single report here on ThaiVisa about someone being issued such a visa in a country where they weren't either a citizen or resident. If the MOFA have made it an absolute requirement that METVs can only be issued where you are a citizen/resident, why do you think a consulate would disobey that order when they don't do so today with Non OA visas?

Sophon

• Like 1

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/files/services-20150909-173935-504463.pdf

Qualification:
Applicant from any of the listed countries must have Permanent Residence in Malaysia.
Required documents:
1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s).
2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months).
4. Original letter for bank account confirmation from the bank and Bank statement.
6.1 Letter from the school/college/university certified by authorized school director and affixed by the seal of the school/college/university. or
6.2 Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse’ identity card.
Visa Fee
Gratis: Nationals of Malaysia, Singapore, Rep. of Korea and Tunisia (fee exempted)

MFA informed us their will be no METV in Malaysia for any of our tour clients from Europe if they are not legal resident in Malaysia. We have 10 country branches and it covers Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Cambodia, China & HK and Japan.

I mentioned it two weeks ago already that METV will only be available for citizens and qualified residents for each country.

Their will also be more changes coming soon for None-Im-ME-O+B and everyone can expect next year to head home if they want one year multiply entry visas for O and B visas but Single Entry will still be issued. By next year the visa mills in Pattaya will be gone

I know, but this is what MFA says as a general rule and as you very well know, each consulate has always adapted these rules to their best suited needs.

Has Bali required hotel booking as Jakarta embassy demanded it? No they accept rental agreements

Has Savannakhet ever asked for funds to get one year non-o based on family,like the other consulates? No they did not.

The list of consulates and embassy that don't strictly apply the rules, and adapt them is endless

I hope you are right Kitsune. If MobileContent information is correct about "...more changes coming soon..." all those that are sitting on the sidelines cheering on The General and his cohorts will get a rude awakening when they find out they are next on the 'chopping block'.

Nothing really changes and the only issue will be to fly back home to make a Multiply Entry visa. I don't really see any problem except flying once a year back to the home country to make a multiply entry visa. You can book a flight to Europe at Baht 30,000 if you book 6 months in advance, add two nights for a hotel plus the visa fees and you can be back in 4-5 days with a new one year visa. Shouldn't be more then 50,000 Baht and then you have a one year visa,

SIngle Entries will always be available in Asia at any Thai Embassy and a none immigrant B visa as a single entry is enough time to apply for a Work Permit if a foreigner owns or has a company setup in Thailand. Multiply B is for foreigners that frequently visit Thailand and have business with Thai companies but they do not stay in Thailand permanent.

• Like 2

That's why I brought up the second point about where a Non OA is issued. I have never heard a single report here on ThaiVisa about someone being issued such a visa in a country where they weren't either a citizen or resident. If the MOFA have made it an absolute requirement that METVs can only be issued where you are a citizen/resident, why do you think a consulate would disobey that order when they don't do so today with Non OA visas?

Sophon

I see your point.

But

1/ We are talking much bigger numbers of visas issued than for the over 50 people. Would every consulate like to have all his tourists visa numbers down to next to zero, with all the implications on tourism for the country? Retirement visa could seem negligible compared to tourist visa. If they disobey MFA it has to be "worth it".

2/ Why would they put it on their website if it was not OK, or if they could not do what they say? Ambassadors and consuls are not children, they have some decision power.

3/ We have not had the actual MFA announcement, only been relayed by people like MobileContent, so really we are not sure of the resident-only clause.

Qualification:

Required documents:

6.2 Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse identity card.

Visa Fee

Nothing really changes and the only issue will be to fly back home to make a Multiply Entry visa. I don't really see any problem except flying once a year back to the home country to make a multiply entry visa. You can book a flight to Europe at Baht 30,000 if you book 6 months in advance, add two nights for a hotel plus the visa fees and you can be back in 4-5 days with a new one year visa. Shouldn't be more then 50,000 Baht and then you have a one year visa,

SIngle Entries will always be available in Asia at any Thai Embassy and a none immigrant B visa as a single entry is enough time to apply for a Work Permit if a foreigner owns or has a company setup in Thailand. Multiply B is for foreigners that frequently visit Thailand and have business with Thai companies but they do not stay in Thailand permanent.

I thought one of the criteria was a letter from ones employer, which might be a bit hard if one has just spent nine months in Thailand.

I thought one of the criteria was a letter from ones employer, which might be a bit hard if one has just spent nine months in Thailand.

That point is a bit of a stickler, not many companies give an employee 6 to 9 months off. If you are working online, well, you need a lawyers letter or bank managers letter (this was from Indonesian Embassy for a tourist visa).

Would they add the price without the requirements?

May be..... sounds unlikely, though

I never looked at their previous requirements but that looks like an awful lot for a simple TR visa especially letter of employment and bank statements. People getting visa from Malaysia never reported having to provide all these documents.

Especially notarized documents, never heard of members stating they had to provide notarized bank statement and letter of employment for a Tourist visa

Documents from foreign countries must be notarized by the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission or Notary public and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia

London has!

you mean pre-METV?

I mean London has added the price without any indication of how to get it. It's not even listed among the visas and neither is the application form updated. All they're interested in telling you at the moment is that a 6 month 'NEW' visa will cost 125 quid. It's OK to say how much something will cost pre Nov 13th, but not OK to tell you what it actually is and their requirements. Disgraceful! http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76

Visa Fees

Visa Type Fee (£) 1. Transit (3 months validity/Single Entry) 20

2. Tourist (3 months validity/Up to 60 days/Single) 25

3. Tourist (6 months validity/Up to 60 days/Multiple Entries) 125

4. Non-Immigrant (3 months validity/Single Entry/up to 90 days) 50

5. Non-Immigrant (1 year validity/ Multiple Entries) 125

6. Non-Immigrant (3 year validity/ Multiple Entries) 250

7. Non-Immigrant O-A (3 months validity/ Single Entry/Up to 1 year) 50

8. Non-Immigrant O-A (1 year validity/ Multiple Entries/Up to 1 year)

Visa fees are payable in pound sterling and in cash only.

Edited by uptheos

That point is a bit of a stickler, not many companies give an employee 6 to 9 months off. If you are working online, well, you need a lawyers letter or bank managers letter (this was from Indonesian Embassy for a tourist visa).

And if your UK self employed or Limited company ?

Its from the Malaysian embassy actually, and it just means that you need to go to your own embassy to have your letter of employment and 6 bank statements certified.

Its from the Malaysian embassy actually, and it just means that you need to go to your own embassy to have your letter of employment and 6 bank statements certified.

I was going off topic and referring to getting a tourist visa to Indonesia, similar requirements.

London has!

you mean pre-METV?

I mean London has added the price without any indication of how to get it. It's not even listed among the visas and neither is the application form updated. All they're interested in telling you at the moment is that a 6 month 'NEW' visa will cost 125 quid. It's OK to say how much something will cost pre Nov 13th, but not OK to tell you what it actually is and their requirements. Disgraceful! http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76

Visa Fees

Visa Type Fee (£) 1. Transit (3 months validity/Single Entry) 20

2. Tourist (3 months validity/Up to 60 days/Single) 25

3. Tourist (6 months validity/Up to 60 days/Multiple Entries) 125

4. Non-Immigrant (3 months validity/Single Entry/up to 90 days) 50

5. Non-Immigrant (1 year validity/ Multiple Entries) 125

6. Non-Immigrant (3 year validity/ Multiple Entries) 250

7. Non-Immigrant O-A (3 months validity/ Single Entry/Up to 1 year) 50

8. Non-Immigrant O-A (1 year validity/ Multiple Entries/Up to 1 year)

Visa fees are payable in pound sterling and in cash only.

What I meant was that no one was asking for proof of job/ $7000 before METV even Penang,so these are NEW METV requirements

And if your UK self employed or Limited company ?

Yes good pont.