METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Thai visa service is talking about Laos.

And even Laos never stuck to any of its own announcement (20k for one)

Yes, and Laos is where the majority of people go to get their visas. My point is if Laos are playing by these rules, it's safe to assume the other embassies and consulates will too.

Yes we are doomed and scared, by this so clever law, and we will leave the country at once, since all consulates are refusing to grant us long term visas nearby.

***Packing as we speak and leaving everything behind***

Ha ha. I really don't know how to take this post. You know it's not me who set these rules? I think it's safe to say these rules will be enforced for the foreseeable future. It might be an idea to prepare for an alternative visa.

Or, you could rely on sarcasm and wishful thinking to see you through. Up to you.

Not all of us on Thaivisa are fusty old farangs who take pleasure in other people's demise. I have friends here who are living on tourist visas - that's their business. I'll do the right thing by giving them realistic advice and not saying "Don't worry. These things always fizzle out in the end".

• Like 1

It's funny how holier than though folks on retirement visa start behaving once they are caught red-handed working illegally in Thailand.

They start to make all kinds of excuses.

But they seem to have issues with "digital nomads"

Fact is even if you check your stock portfolio, you are working in Thailand and breaking the law.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if immigration next move is to move retirement age to 65.

After all this is the official retirement age in most countries.

Then they'll cry on this forum how life is unfair.

Mark my words.

How is checking my stock portfolio working? Or reading an email from the company that manages my rental property? By that logic, looking at a bank statement where I've earned interest is also working!!!

However, if somebody paid me to look after their share portfolio, or paid me for information to use for their portfolio then I would be working as I'd be carrying out an activity for another in exchange for payment.

So clearly if you're a "Digital Nomad" and are (in exchange for payment)...

- Designing/Coding/Testing/Documenting

- Managing somebody else's websites

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Writing (paid for) subscription articles

- Selling stuff on eBay

... You're working... Irrespective of whether the customer/cash is in Thailand.

It doesn't matter what you think.

By law, you are required to have a work permit regarding activities you have just described above.

You are checking your portfolio from Thailand? You are working,

You are managing your rentals from Thailand? You are working.

Bank sends you a statement via email and you open it in Thailand? You are working.

It doesn't matter one iota what you think and your comparison to digital nomads is irrelevant. You are as guilty as a digital nomad for working illegally in Thailand.

Period.

Can you show me the law that says any of those things are "Working" as I think just about any foreigner with any kind of asset holidaying in Thailand has most likely broken it at some point.

There is no law that says I cannot check my stock portfolio, or read an email from my property management agent or pop onto my online banking site & notice the pittance of interest they've given me, if there were the US (I'm a Brit btw) would have found a way of taxing visitors for it.

Fact is all of the above activities are "Passive Income" & wouldn't be considered "Working"/"Employment".

Edited by JB300

How is checking my stock portfolio working? Or reading an email from the company that manages my rental property? By that logic, looking at a bank statement where I've earned interest is also working!!!

You have moved the goalposts .
He stated that he was "buying and selling", not just looking
He posted
"Looking at a share portfolio everyday & buying & selling to fund existence" isn't retired. "
It was stated that he was buying and selling , this was pointed out that this was working and you asked how is just checking a statement working !!!!!!!
  • Like 1

It's funny how holier than though folks on retirement visa start behaving once they are caught red-handed working illegally in Thailand.

Fact is even if you check your stock portfolio, you are working in Thailand and breaking the law.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if immigration next move is to move retirement age to 65.

Mark my words.

However, if somebody paid me to look after their share portfolio, or paid me for information to use for their portfolio then I would be working as I'd be carrying out an activity for another in exchange for payment.

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Selling stuff on eBay

By law, you are required to have a work permit regarding activities you have just described above.

Bank sends you a statement via email and you open it in Thailand? You are working.

It doesn't matter one iota what you think and your comparison to digital nomads is irrelevant. You are as guilty as a digital nomad for working illegally in Thailand.

Period.

Can you show me the law that says any of those things are "Working" as I think just about any foreigner with any kind of asset holidaying in Thailand has most likely broken it at some point.

There is no law that says I cannot check my stock portfolio, or read an email from my property management agent or pop onto my online banking site & notice the pittance of interest they've given me, if there were the US (I'm a Brit btw) would have found a way of taxing visitors for it.

Fact is all of the above activities are "Passive Income" & wouldn't be considered "Working"/"Employment".

You're replying to someone who's on a work permit (or certainly pretending to be) and got a boner reading the news of the new METV visa.

He posted

"Looking at a share portfolio everyday & buying & selling to fund existence" isn't retired. "

It was stated that he was buying and selling , this was pointed out that this was working and you asked how is just checking a statement working !!!!!!!

I replied to the comment

In what way have I moved the goalposts?

The quote you've mentioned wasn't in the comment I replied to.

Edited by JB300

Mark my words.

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Selling stuff on eBay

Period.

This has been discussed many times on Thai visa and even answered by lawyers.

You are using Thailand as a base for your overseas income. You are using a computer and internet from Thailand. You are working illegally.

Again, you are using your own definition because it affects you negatively, but the law is the law.

I have nothing against you and do not care how you make your money, but the same rules apply to you just as they apply to digital nomads.

Why is this hard for you to understand?

I am not arguing the ridiculousness of the law, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

He posted

Have you ever owned a share portfolio in your life? I buy and sell a few times a month but that is totally independent for me. It is no different then when your interests comes in once a month and you go to move ONE TRANSACTION (I hope you understand that) to another. It certainly is not working.

95% of everyone on here is doing this; it may not be with shares but it may be with selling down part of your Superannuation or transferring rental from properties back home into your account.

Unless your DEAD BROKE or just have a pension and no other assets (I have all the above from properties, to shares to Super as well as a pension coming in), it is IMPOSSIBLE, even when you are fully retired not to have some responsibility in keeping it all going.

Some people on TV either have just no idea or are just jealous that you are/have been successful in life and no matter where you are in the world, these are things you have to manage.

• Like 1

Mark my words.

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Selling stuff on eBay

Period.

You are using Thailand as a base for your overseas income. You are using a computer and internet from Thailand. You are working illegally.

Again, you are using your own definition because it affects you negatively, but the law is the law.

I have nothing against you and do not care how you make your money, but the same rules apply to you just as they apply to digital nomads.

Can you point us to the thread where this conclusion was made as that would mean that I couldn't use my laptop/tab/phone in Thailand in case somebody (without me asking) informed me of receiving some money that I did nothing to earn except to have left some money with them at some point in the past.

Surely you know there's a difference between Passive (Not Working) & Active (Working) income.

Mark my words.

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Selling stuff on eBay

Period.

Can you point us to the thread where this conclusion was made as that would mean that I couldn't use my laptop/tab/phone in Thailand in case somebody (without me asking) informed me of receiving some money that I did nothing to earn except to have left some money with them at some point in the past.

Surely you know there's a difference between Passive (Not Working) & Active (Working) income.

Hell, gaining interest from your Thai bank savings account would need a work permit.

Mark my words.

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Selling stuff on eBay

Period.

Again.... who cares if I know the difference between passive and active income.

Completely irrelevant.

It's what the law says.

Sorry, I can not point you to a thread, but someone else surely will. It's there.

• Like 1

He posted

Have you ever owned a share portfolio in your life? I buy and sell a few times a month but that is totally independent for me. It is no different then when your interests comes in once a month and you go to move ONE TRANSACTION (I hope you understand that) to another. It certainly is not working.

Oh OK, so you buy and sell to yourself .

So, you receive your pension and sell it to yourself and so you arent selling it , you are just moving it .

So, you just buy and sell from yourself with no other people involved .

Do you also rent your property out to yourself and pay yourself rent ?

Mark my words.

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Selling stuff on eBay

Period.

Hell, gaining interest from your Thai bank savings account would need a work permit.

Lol, the good news is that we'll all be able to sue the Banks for them forcing us to break Thai law by not checking we have a WP before paying us interest [emoji12]

But joking aside, we've strayed well off topic now (apologies, I find these sort of discussions fascinating), so we should probably get back to discussing METV.

Any news from London yet?

Mark my words.

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Selling stuff on eBay

Period.

Again.... who cares if I know the difference between passive and active income.

Completely irrelevant.

It's what the law says.

Sorry, I can not point you to a thread, but someone else surely will. It's there.

Hint: 1 of them is "Working", the other not so it's very relevant, though not for this thread.

By the time people do all their visa hops and going back and forth, assuming you stay in a reasonable hotel and now more than likely have to fly there isn't a great difference in what you are paying.

I did spent three years on Visa exempt stamps .

There and back in a day , just needed to pay for a bus and 300 Baht for the Myanmar Visa

I quite often bought counterfeit goods back with me to fund the trip .

Three years staying for free or the Elite Visa would have cost 300 000 Baht for that duration

That is quite a big difference

Lol I hope this is just a joke. If not you a exactly the type of person they are trying to rid themselves of. Again this has to be a total wind up,

Nope. I got a new passport before I came here in 2010 and I have one tourist visa and the rest of my passport was full with VETs and VETs only , 64 VETs in total, including the VETs in my new passport .

I still have the old passport to prove it .

Lots of us used to do it , there were usually about ten mini buses at the border, all full of VET ers and plus others went on buses.................and cars .

There were about 500 of us doing it a day, everyday

I assume some get 15 days and some 30 days.

In that case let's say 20 days on average.

So 20x500=10000 people is the complete stock on circulation?

But need to remove days for when immigration is closed.

5/7 x 10K = 7142

Some people probably is there for other type of visa.

So maybe 5K stock on rotation.

How does that match up to the annual amount of tourists?

Edited by Lampang2

Wrong. This has been confirmed many times by Immigration Offices: Trading (or managing your own money generally speaking) is not considered as Working and does *not* require a Work Permit. smile.png

• Like 1

I assume some get 15 days and some 30 days.

In that case let's say 20 days on average.

So 20x500=10000 people is the complete stock on circulation?

But need to remove days for when immigration is closed.

5/7 x 10K = 7142

Some people probably is there for other type of visa.

So maybe 5K stock on rotation.

How does that match up to the annual amount of tourists?

I have no idea what you mean .

If you look on the website there is nothing saying about employers letter 200k or none of that.

Application forms are the same as before and still have 3 entry tick box.

Just how to apply by person or post.

and price of visas.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/4

From experience they dont ask questions much there take the form and money and give back next day.

I think it is pretty obvious the Thai elite visa is there for anybody wishing to get a visa that doesn't have a retirement visa or a work permit.

I used to think people were snobs who said this but seriously if you can't stump up the 500k to get the elite visa you really can't afford to be over here.

This is the strangest thing I've heard all day.

If I don't give away 500.000 baht, I can't afford to be here? What! This is very strange line of thinking. Why would I give away 500k? Do you know anybody who pays money, for something that can be had free, or a low fee.

I am a tourist, I stay every winter, 6 months, and I use Tourist Visa, because I am a tourist. Now, you may feel like giving away 500k, and think it is smart thing to do, but trust, very few would agree with you lol.

So I sit at Starbucks, hre on triple entry Tourist Visa, guy next to me gave away 500k for the same thing, who's the smart piggy?
You argue guy like me has no business being in Thailand in the first place, that it truly odd thing to say.

To say this is flawd thinking is putting it mildly. You seem to think people can not afford 500k, and you don't allow for possibilty that they may simply choose to not waste their money.
You choose to pay 500k for something, that doesn't cost 500k, there is term for that.

Yep, I prefer to be the smart piggy as things change here too much.

The only difference is I have to go home once every 15 months and apply for the METV. Sure I have to do a few things. Get my parents that run a Company to say I have a job to go home to on a Company Letter Head. Season 200K for 6 months is easy as I like to have a bit of spare cash around. Buy a exit ticket to Penang or Laos to get gain another SETV for 3 months. Do a SETV twice and head back home.

Rinse and repeat for two more years till I am 50. Might even be able to get 18 months out of this.

Lots cheaper then 500K using Air Asia specials of $350 in total to get home once every 15-18 months. Take my partner on holidays with me. Okay, I might have to go home every now and again but to keep my Medicare going in Australia, I have to go home every 2-3 years for a few weeks.

Okay, the METV might be sucky to work around in the fact you got to go home but it maybe workable. Time will tell.

Sounds good apart from the stated intent to use a fraudulent letter.

• Like 1

I am a tourist, I stay every winter, 6 months, and I use Tourist Visa, because I am a tourist. Now, you may feel like giving away 500k, and think it is smart thing to do, but trust, very few would agree with you lol.

There's a lot of people in your situation and this is the kind of visa which in my opinion is missing.

There should be a visa for longer stay tourists, especially retired people who like to come to Thailand for the whole winter.

They shouldn't need to do a 'visa run' to a nearby country or go to immigration offices for extensions. It's a pathetic situation where you need to leave the country where you're on holiday just to stay there for more than 90 days.

When they announced this six month visa some time back I wondered if they would take this chance to fix the flawed system but they've done the opposite.

• Like 1

Post removed.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Luke in particular. You are so far out of your depth its embarassing. If you wish to troll fine. Many have that hobby. But please do not pretend to understsnd what retired actually means. Partly/ mainly its when you declare to tax office that you have retired. That then means stock on hand etc is taxed as a final income from running a business. In my case 80k aud up. I mean i paid them. Son learn stuff before you post. Talk about dog. With a bone.

• Like 1

There's a lot of people in your situation and this is the kind of visa which in my opinion is missing.

There should be a visa for longer stay tourists, especially retired people who like to come to Thailand for the whole winter.

They shouldn't need to do a 'visa run' to a nearby country or go to immigration offices for extensions. It's a pathetic situation where you need to leave the country where you're on holiday just to stay there for more than 90 days.

When they announced this six month visa some time back I wondered if they would take this chance to fix the flawed system but they've done the opposite.

Well said sir

Well said sir

Have you not noticed that recently immigration laws have not been made for foreigners convenience?

• Like 1

"There should be a visa for longer stay tourists, especially retired people who like to come to Thailand for the whole winter."

If Thailand does not provide the visa being sought people should look elsewhere.

I am sure Egypt will provide a long term visa for free!

• Like 1

"There should be a visa for longer stay tourists, especially retired people who like to come to Thailand for the whole winter."

If Thailand does not provide the visa being sought people should look elsewhere.

I am sure Egypt will provide a long term visa for free!

Although Egypt is quite interesting to visit for a few weeks , I dont think that many people would like to stay much longer then that there .

So, long term Visa or not, its not very appealing