METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

why would you expect a country to allow young people from anywhere else in the world who happen to be financially independent to just go and live there just because they feel like it? does your home country allow that?

Well, my home country even allows people to live there who enter illegally and don't have any papers on them, which is crazy. And these people aren't even financially independent, they come there to live off state benefits.

My point is, how are people on the other visa options contributing any more to the economy than these "long term tourists"? How is a +50 year old receiving 200k a month any better than a 25 year old receiving 200k a month? How is someone who is studying English for the ED visa any better? Or an English teacher without teaching skills earning 30k a month just to be able to stay in Thailand?

If the visa system was clear indeed on the type of people they want, it would be a different story, but currently it's just a big pain in the ass for people who wish to stay in Thailand unless you are old or have a job.

---

@SS1

Re: "Lets take my situation for example, what would be the "correct visa"? / "I study for a UK distance learning course ..."

See if the UK regs allow "student" in place of "place of employment" like the DC regs do. This may depend on how many hours you enroll / semester. If not, you many need to set up a legal company there. Note, you do not need to prove that company (or even you) has "income".

Under this scheme, we will have many people using shell-companies or Distance-Learning courses combined with lines of credit to get METVs (not saying that applies to you). It is unfortunate they did not simply ask us to show money flowing into a Thai account from overseas, which would actually mean something, in this equation .

Thanks for the tips! I'm not actually from the UK but from Europe anyways looks like it could work. I will try to apply for the METV next time I return to my home country.

Single entry TV at Penang. Still possible to get three in a row?

Not having a go but could you be honest about your requirement for three in a row?

Im a pedophile and also working multiple jobs illegally, thus preventing a number of poor Thais employment. Oh and im also selling drugs when im not working or chasing kids.

Well no, the truth is I spend a few months of the year back home working my ass off to afford a lengthy stay in Thailand, because I very much like it here, and everything that matters to me is here.

Is that reason enough or do you have to be married with 11 kids, have a work permit and also invest a billion baht to be granted the benefit of staying here? I can never for the life of me see the downside of the money spent here by foreigners, be it during one weeks stay, or one year.

Great post. Deserved the dis.

Thailand no longer wants to play in the bottom league.

Convert your own country into a cheap whorehouse if you think it's a brilliant thing to do.

Submit a petition.

'Thailand' - that's a bit vague, who are you actually referring to when you speak of 'Thailand' that's a very misguided comment if you don't mind me pointing it out.

It's just that come every world cup you might find the English press print 'England expects' ahead of a big game - it encompasses every man, woman and child bound toward a common goal - a shared belief bourne out of free will.

Edited by wonderkheiyw

Not having a go but could you be honest about your requirement for three in a row?

Im a pedophile and also working multiple jobs illegally, thus preventing a number of poor Thais employment. Oh and im also selling drugs when im not working or chasing kids.

Well no, the truth is I spend a few months of the year back home working my ass off to afford a lengthy stay in Thailand, because I very much like it here, and everything that matters to me is here.

Is that reason enough or do you have to be married with 11 kids, have a work permit and also invest a billion baht to be granted the benefit of staying here? I can never for the life of me see the downside of the money spent here by foreigners, be it during one weeks stay, or one year.

When you 29 millions tourists per year, you can afford to be picky, and they happen to prefer the ones that leave after 2 weeks thats all.

Convert your own country into a cheap whorehouse if you think it's a brilliant thing to do.

Submit a petition.

They are in the bottom league for everything else except tourism.

Goodbye Thailand you finally destroyed the last few good people who was able to have long stays here but not yet retired.

But dont worry you will have all your mafia and drug lords and sex offenders with money.

As what you doing dont affect them only affects decent people who have appreciated falling love with the country and come back for more.

Wish they put time and effort into their poor education system and let the Thai speak out.

And Thank you for completely crippling chiangmai Tourist Industry.

Submit a petition.

You continue to hate the country and still stay.

When you 29 millions tourists per year, you can afford to be picky, and they happen to prefer the ones that leave after 2 weeks thats all.

Again, I ask who are 'they' as to whome to refer?

London website. Postal applications.

Visa Application by post (Applicants must reside permanently in the UK)

Your scheming may well work, but you and your fellow schemers need to man up to the fact that you would be obtaining a visa under false pretences, and stop trying to justify your deception.

Thanks for this info. From reading that page, it appears things changed on 15 January 2014 for Brits, and now all post-applications go to London, where this rule is in effect. Prior to that date, the consulates could accept applications by mail, and even had instructions up on how to do it when not in-country.

I am a citizen of the USA, and our separate consulates do still accept applications by mail AFAIK. But anyone reading this, please do advise if you can show I would be breaking any stated-rules by applying for the METV by post. I am close to 50, so not going to put my happy retirement here in jepoardy with a short-cut.

Edited by JackThompson

Actual tourists like Thailand due to the 30 day exempt entry. Asked a question of a previous poster and got a daft reply. No problem personally but honesty on here is in short supply. Don't care what others do just a shade of interest.

Submit a petition.

Large groups of thai people are earning good money outside of tourism.

Middle class people.

Tourism will continue, but falang is not the only tourist anymore nor the richest.

I read a lot of people in this thread say that Thailand is doomed without their presence.

Just nonsense.

Your scheming may well work, but you and your fellow schemers need to man up to the fact that you would be obtaining a visa under false pretences, and stop trying to justify your deception.

Thanks for this info. From reading that page, it appears things changed on 15 January 2014 for Brits, and now all post-applications go to London, where this rule is in effect. Prior to that date, the consulates could accept applications by mail, and even had instructions up on how to do it when not in-country.

I am a citizen of the USA, and our separate consulates do still accept applications by mail AFAIK. But anyone reading this, please do advise if you can show I would be breaking any stated-rules by applying for the METV by post. I am close to 50, so not going to put my happy retirement here in jepoardy with a short-cut.

If you wish to apply for a Thai visa from the US.whilst in Thailand you must consider

1. While in Thailand your passport should always be available

2 The passport will have no Thai exit stamp

3 When the passport returns (IF it contains a new visa) how will the entry stamp be obtained ?

Dreaming up madcap schemes only invites trouble if those schemes are enacted

A lot of noise here. It wouldn't me surprise if it will possible to get a METV in Vientiane even for non-Laos Citizens/Residents.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

The Embassy has already stated the visa will not be available to non residents/citizens.

I know. But it's not written in stone that they also will enforce it. I don't say this will happen. I say only, it wouldn't surprise me really.

But does any of this effect just a single entry ?

Edited by leighd7

Goodbye Thailand you finally destroyed the last few good people who was able to have long stays here but not yet retired.

But dont worry you will have all your mafia and drug lords and sex offenders with money.

As what you doing dont affect them only affects decent people who have appreciated falling love with the country and come back for more.

Wish they put time and effort into their poor education system and let the Thai speak out.

And Thank you for completely crippling chiangmai Tourist Industry.

violin.gif

"But dont worry you will have all your mafia and drug lords and sex offenders with money."

Perhaps they are all on their way home?

People who adhere to visa restrictions have a lot more to lose than those who choose to flaunt them... Much of the corrupting of officials involves illegal activities concerning visas and work permit infractions, dodgy land deals etc.

The group that has so much to offer Thailand certainly has little concern at where their money goes, in pursuit of their own interests...

I know. But it's not written in stone that they also will enforce it. I don't say this will happen. I say only, it wouldn't surprise me really.

But does any of this effect just a single entry ?

I just wrote this in another thread:

Since the SETV will last, you could do every three months a visa-run. So far it wasn't a problem to get a double-entry tourist visa 3 or even 4 times on a row from the same embassy / consulate. In case this will not change (i don't see any signs) , you could got to Vientianne, Savannakhet or somewhere else. Just rotate. But then i would prefer to fly. It's not sooo expensive.

Just checked Nok Air. Bangkok - Vientiane - Bangkok. Below 4000 THB,

Edited by Maestro

If you wish to apply for a Thai visa from the US.whilst in Thailand you must consider

1. While in Thailand your passport should always be available

2 The passport will have no Thai exit stamp

3 When the passport returns (IF it contains a new visa) how will the entry stamp be obtained ?

Dreaming up madcap schemes only invites trouble if those schemes are enacted

And if the Embassy cancelled the current live visa , he could face either an overstay fine at best , or possibly even get charged with being in the Country illegally

Although it's not stated on the DC website the same principle applies. The applicant should be in the US even if applying by post. The very fact that your passport is in the country means you should be too.

Regardless of other visas the METV is clearly meant to be applied for in country.

You would have the same problem about declaring present and permanent addresses and the choice to lie or be honest and risk having the application declined.

Also, it's interesting that the current visa application has the following declaration:

* ATTENTION FOR TOURISTS AND TRANSIT VISA APPLICANTS ONLY : You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

I wonder what spin jspill can perform on that!

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

China is starting to look good. They are a grown up country that welcomes westerners and does not have a problem with visa running. Ten year tv for americans is possible. All you wannabe immigration agents who say that a genuine tourist does not stay for a long time please explain why two grown up countries China and India both offer ten year tourist visa for US citizens?

Huh? Are you sure about India giving US citizens a Tourist Visa for 10 years as my understanding (granted I've only ever had 3 Business Visas, each for 1 year) is they only issue 3 or 6 month TVs & you need to spend 2 or 3 months out of the country in between visas.

Bit like the US will issue 10 year Visas to Malaysians but they can only spend 6 months in any one year there.

yes they do but you need apply in the states for it

you need stay out for 2 months between entries so many alternate between Nepal and India if that is your cup of tea.

I love them both but would not choose to live in either one

• Like 1

So, the only loophole available for 3-week-on/3-week-off oil workers is now entry visa exempt through airports. This is tough for Thailand to prevent as the requirements for air tickets and money is satisfied. Having a limit of 90 days per year (as at land borders) is not really practicable. All they could do, perhaps, is have a red stamp on exit like "no visa exempt entry allowed until ...." that airlines had to look for. Otherwise, the xenophobes are winning.

As an oilworker this is a good visa for me smile.png

What happens after 6 month? Will they allow you to get a new METV again and again...

If you wish to apply for a Thai visa from the US.whilst in Thailand you must consider...

Read further up in the thread - the passport would be sent while the applicant is in a 3rd country.

I am disinterested in scams which are being conjured up by the desperate.

So, the only loophole available for 3-week-on/3-week-off oil workers is now entry visa exempt through airports. This is tough for Thailand to prevent as the requirements for air tickets and money is satisfied. Having a limit of 90 days per year (as at land borders) is not really practicable. All they could do, perhaps, is have a red stamp on exit like "no visa exempt entry allowed until ...." that airlines had to look for. Otherwise, the xenophobes are winning.

As an oilworker this is a good visa for me smile.png

What happens after 6 month? Will they allow you to get a new METV again and again...

If you timing your entries clever, you could stay for 9 months. Just re-entry before the visa expire.

Why is proof of employment required? What does that have anything to do with being a tourist? Some people have loads of money already and do not need to work.

A means of determining a person has a good reason to return home.?

Those with "loads of money" can easily resolve their visa "problems" by becoming members of the Thai Elite program.

Why is proof of employment required? What does that have anything to do with being a tourist? Some people have loads of money already and do not need to work.

It demonstrates that the applicant has a reason to return to their country and reduces the chance of them staying long term in Thailand and possibly illegally working. In other words their intentions are that of a typical vacationing tourist.

If you wish to apply for a Thai visa from the US.whilst in Thailand you must consider...

Read further up in the thread - the passport would be sent while the applicant is in a 3rd country.

I am disinterested in scams which are being conjured up by the desperate.

Nothing about providing all necessary (and valid) documents to the appointed place is a "scam". If you are "disinterested," then no need to comment on the question at all.

@elviajero - Re:

"clearly meant to be applied for in country"

I read the rules as "clearly meant to be applied for in ones home country" - for purposes of validating the requirements are valid. That was the issue with docs provided to Vientiene, if I am not mistaken.

Morally, I see these rules as no different that tax rules - you pay what is required by law, but may also take all legal deductions provided-for by law. Avoiding a pointless plane-trip while providing the required valid documents does not, in any way, "game the system," from my perspective.

It demonstrates that the applicant has a reason to return to their country and reduces the chance of them staying long term in Thailand and possibly illegally working. In other words their intentions are that of a typical vacationing tourist.

UK visit visas have had these requirements for years, reason to return.

• Like 1