METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

THB 1,000 for 3 months, or THB 5,000 for 6 months.....bit of a no brainer really

Do you think they will not crack down on back to back SETV? ..... lol...Like my Thai business friend said yesterday, this is a change of culture for Thailand. I think the days of friendly Visas and Embassy's are well over. You need to go home, follow the rules and take it from there. The Laos embassy in Vientiane will be rejoicing as I have been there when there have been 700 people at the gates, 95% wanting a double-entry tourist visa! So many where obviously working, something had to break! I cannot see the Laos Embassy allowing never-ending back to backs as this METV has been the game changer.

It looks like you need now to have the right Visa to suit what the officialdom want. I can see a mass migration home over the next 6 months. In my own thoughts, the SETV will not be a vehicle as well for long term stays and the line has been firmly planted in the ground now.

Till your 50, easy days are now over.

PE visa.

Anyone selling up, I'm in the market for a late model SUV or sedan...PM me with the details.

• Like 1

Well, if u havent got 200k then why on earth you taking 6 months holidays... No other country will allow you in, without proving you can take care of yourself...

England Takes everyone.

And it not about the money.;

Why you need to show plane tickets, ain't a multi entry the whole I dead that you can come and go when you want. not to be help to a fix date.

Yep and France which is currently hosting 10 times more Thai than there are French in Thailand.. and we helped out for Tsunami...

Maybe payback for the Franco-Siamese war of 1893.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Siamese_War

However, when I first came, people really did smile, and the developers hadn't raped every nice beach in hopes of making lots of money.

Exactly. When I came to Thailand for the 1st time about 15 years ago,

the people here did smile and it was LOS that I visited. The smile has left

their eyes now partly because of some bad-mannered Farangs, sad to say.

If you want to live or stay here for a long time, you must love them. If you want

to apply for a new METV for example, you must live with the requirements,

some of which may sound ridiculous to some.

I can hear them say, 'This is Thailand! If you don't like us, just go back home now!'

Edited by Too

Sorry but I have been here a shade longer than you, yes things change, still very nice. Who exactly treats you badly now?

One striking example is queues: You might not believe it, but I never used to queue ever, as I said people used to insist and double insist on letting me go first on any line (BTS, shops, supermarkets, etc ), as said previously I found it very embarrassing and was always trying to tell them I wanted queue like everyone else. I was on bloody holidays, these people were probably working.

Now it''s the opposite lol! Number of times, I had people going right in front of me at Tops or BigC and the cashier serving them before me as if it was "normal'

So you are upset because you no longer get put to the front of a queue? First time here banks were a scrum at the counter. Much nicer now. Mind you I am not a cute female foreigner.

i am a dark skinned unkempt individual caucasian speak minimal Thai. when i walk up the street, unknown to me thais, will call out to me in a welcoming/greeting manner (no not referring to taxi/tuktuk/moto characters just ordinary everyday thais). this happens virtually everywhere i go in thailand. sure there are the detractors too and they seem to be getting more frequent as has been noted but still overwhelmingly positive. so look more at yourself to find the answerers if you are getting a bad reception.

As you said, you speak minimal Thai so how do you know what these guys are saying biggrin.png

Look, just because someone points out that Thailand is not Disneyland and the Thai people are not begging and crying for the white man to come and save them, it does not mean they hate the place. Just get a grip on reality and admit this place is no different to any other country - you get a mix of good and bad.

No matter where you go, as a tourist you are more likely to come in contact with the bad pretending to be good; the nicer they are the more fools they suck in. It has very little to do with their love/hate for foreigners, mostly it's to do with the love of money...

What's the difference between an optimist and a pessimist?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience tongue.png

Sorry but I have been here a shade longer than you, yes things change, still very nice. Who exactly treats you badly now?

One striking example is queues: You might not believe it, but I never used to queue ever, as I said people used to insist and double insist on letting me go first on any line (BTS, shops, supermarkets, etc ), as said previously I found it very embarrassing and was always trying to tell them I wanted queue like everyone else. I was on bloody holidays, these people were probably working.

Now it''s the opposite lol! Number of times, I had people going right in front of me at Tops or BigC and the cashier serving them before me as if it was "normal'

So you are upset because you no longer get put to the front of a queue? First time here banks were a scrum at the counter. Much nicer now. Mind you I am not a cute female foreigner.

No really as said previously, I found it most embarassing to be jumping the queues like this, I did not like it at all, no more than being passed over today.

I am just amazed how much the attitude changed, that's all.

And again, overly nice, or overly bad, it's all the same to me, just weird.

Guess it is good to be over 50. Just did my 90 day report again, 30 seconds, beats any other visa hoops I had to go through for years before

Don't be so smug, this leader can change that in a heartbeat.

No reason to...and why all the strum und drang over a country having regulations for tourist visas that fit actual tourists?

No really as said previously, I found it most embarassing to be jumping the queues like this, I did not like it at all, no more than being passed over today.

I am just amazed how much the attitude changed, that's all.

And again, overly nice, or overly bad, it's all the same to me, just weird.

Ok. But you state that the country is worse now because queue jumping no longer happens.

Guess it is good to be over 50. Just did my 90 day report again, 30 seconds, beats any other visa hoops I had to go through for years before

Don't be so smug, this leader can change that in a heartbeat.

No reason to...and why all the strum und drang over a country having regulations for tourist visas that fit actual tourists?

Because in 2003 you were coming to a Thai embassy for a tourist visa, you were asked ifyou had a Thai GF and encouraged to get a one year visa. So yes it's a bit of a shock for anyone with 2 cells of memory.

Thousands of foreigners living here permanently, without proper funds, using Non-Imm O visas/extensions.

They should be kicked out too?

Evidence for that assertion can be found where ?

All over this forum, where people who say they don't have the money for a Non-O Marriage visa are directed to run to Savanahket for a Multi. I am glad this "loophole" allows their families to stay together, and would guess many more will now be getting married to use this, until the avenue is closed.

At that point, I assume they will head for the loan-shark / brokers, given their choices will be:

1. Abandon your family.

2. Take a dodgy loan to meet immigration requirements.

The METV will force similar "line-of-credit" solutions for many - though not in Thai jurisdiction, so not illegal.

It is not a loophole

You have a choice of a single entry or multiple entry non O based on marriage.

Money is only needed for a 12 month extension of stay

i am a dark skinned unkempt individual caucasian speak minimal Thai. when i walk up the street, unknown to me thais, will call out to me in a welcoming/greeting manner (no not referring to taxi/tuktuk/moto characters just ordinary everyday thais). this happens virtually everywhere i go in thailand. sure there are the detractors too and they seem to be getting more frequent as has been noted but still overwhelmingly positive. so look more at yourself to find the answerers if you are getting a bad reception.

As you said, you speak minimal Thai so how do you know what these guys are saying biggrin.png

Look, just because someone points out that Thailand is not Disneyland and the Thai people are not begging and crying for the white man to come and save them, it does not mean they hate the place. Just get a grip on reality and admit this place is no different to any other country - you get a mix of good and bad.

No matter where you go, as a tourist you are more likely to come in contact with the bad pretending to be good; the nicer they are the more fools they suck in. It has very little to do with their love/hate for foreigners, mostly it's to do with the love of money...

What's the difference between an optimist and a pessimist?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience tongue.png

you obviously not big hansum man like me lol

• Like 1

Ok. But you state that the country is worse now because queue jumping no longer happens.

As I said my only wish is to be treated as equal, I know that would never happen, its a medieval society with foreigners/brown skiined /fat/old people are preferred to whiter/slim/young/beautiful people and Farangs have dropped ranking dramatically.

Edited by Kitsune

So you get 3 months for 1000 Baht but have to make a border run after 60 days then when you re-enter you get your additional 30 days.

Not so bad! Just means a little trip round South East Asia every 3 months to apply for another visa.

So you get 3 months for 1000 Baht but have to make a border run after 60 days then when you re-enter you get your additional 30 days.

Not so bad! Just means a little trip round South East Asia every 3 months to apply for another visa.

A single entry tourist visa costs 1000Bht

That visa provides a 60 day entry which can be extended for another 30 days at an immigration office for 1900Bht. A total of 90 days.

No need for a border run to secure a 90 day stay from a tourist visa

China is starting to look good. They are a grown up country that welcomes westerners and does not have a problem with visa running. Ten year tv for americans is possible. All you wannabe immigration agents who say that a genuine tourist does not stay for a long time please explain why two grown up countries China and India both offer ten year tourist visa for US citizens?

Huh? Are you sure about India giving US citizens a Tourist Visa for 10 years as my understanding (granted I've only ever had 3 Business Visas, each for 1 year) is they only issue 3 or 6 month TVs & you need to spend 2 or 3 months out of the country in between visas.

Bit like the US will issue 10 year Visas to Malaysians but they can only spend 6 months in any one year there.

Edited by JB300

A lot of noise here. It wouldn't me surprise if it will possible to get a METV in Vientiane even for non-Laos Citizens/Residents.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

The Embassy has already stated the visa will not be available to non residents/citizens.

• Like 1

A lot of noise here. It wouldn't me surprise if it will possible to get a METV in Vientiane even for non-Laos Citizens/Residents.

The Embassy has already stated the visa will not be available to non residents/citizens.

I know. But it's not written in stone that they also will enforce it. I don't say this will happen. I say only, it wouldn't surprise me really.

I know. But it's not written in stone that they also will enforce it. I don't say this will happen. I say only, it wouldn't surprise me really.

Wishful thinking or dreaming ?

For some strange reason people coming to Thailand think having a visa gives you automatic entry. Not so. Immigration has the last say on the matter and can refuse entry. Posters think Thailand are a strange country but this happens worldwide.

Your scheming may well work, but you and your fellow schemers need to man up to the fact that you would be obtaining a visa under false pretences, and stop trying to justify your deception.

But they would be banned by the mods for discussing illegal activities... smile.png

Your scheming may well work, but you and your fellow schemers need to man up to the fact that you would be obtaining a visa under false pretences, and stop trying to justify your deception.

But they would be banned by the mods for discussing illegal activities... smile.png

Not sure that they are breaking any laws.

The Thai Embassy in Washington, USA already has a similar worded announcment.

I would say that this is world-wide.

the Thai Embassys in Britain allow for Postal Applications (if sent to a british address) friend or parents.

maybe a possibility to send passport to the UK,,, get your family or friends to re-post the passport application to the consulate and get visa.

then send passport (DHL) back to you in Thailand with the appropriate visa.

then you do a visa run to Poipet and ACTIVATE this visa..

will my idea work ? can you see any flaw in my idea ?

apart from not having your passport on you for a few weeks, not really a big deal.

and DHL or UPS will make sure passport is safe in transit.

seriously, will my idea work? (if you are british).

maybe USA and other countries also have local visa applications by post.

• Do you think the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.
  • And what happens when the person issuing the METV notices that you're stamped in to Thailand?
  • And what happens when you enter Thailand and the IO notices that the visa was issued in the UK when you were in Thailand?
  • And what happens if you're stopped and asked to produce your passport during it's trip to and from the UK?
You must be resident and present in the country to qualify.

Anyone doing this would be bonkers!

- what happens when the person issuing the METV notices that you're stamped in to Thailand?

Ok, so i (or anyone) can EXIT Thailand and take a 2 week trip in Lao or another country, thus having an EXIT STAMP and apply from Lao (or other country) by Post.

- what happens when you enter Thailand and the IO notices that the visa was issued in the UK when you were in Thailand?

see above answer.

- what happens if you're stopped and asked to produce your passport during it's trip to and from the UK?

What happens when youre stopped and need to produce a passport when you are in the midst of applying for a new passport, or have a lost passport? besides, almost all police accept photo ID, (Driving license) this has Never been an issue for me in thailand for more than 10 years.

anyway. because of the EXIT STAMP issue, it is all SOLVED by applying from a near-by country, Thus exiting thailand and all your points are now answered due to the fact that i can do this from ABROAD. (without having to go to England).

- the fact that it has to be sent to a British address might be a clue why you are not supposed to do what you suggest.

Nonsense. applying by post does not ask that you are in the country. they just assume you are, but not request it.

a british address is because it is a DOMESTIC consulate. it does not have legal right to issue any visas to another country where there is already another consulate.

UK consulates are for UK applications.

and a UK application is satisfied with a UK address.

You've moved the goalposts by applying in another country and not Thailand, but regardless you're still breaking the one rule that trumps the lot.

"they just assume you are, but do not request it."

So on the application form it asks for your permanent address and your present address.

• Are you going to put your address in Cambodia/Laos/wherever, or are you going to lie?
  • And assuming you haven't set foot in the UK for months/years what are you going to use as your permanent address. Your rented condo in Thailand or will you lie about that too.
"a british address is because it is a DOMESTIC consulate"

You simple haven't got a clue about what you are talking about. It's a British address because you have to be resident in Britain to qualify for the visa.

London website. Postal applications.

Visa Application by post (Applicants must reside permanently in the UK)

I did wonder if it would be possible to leverage the SRRV in the Philippines to be able to apply for an METV from there.

Requirements are that you need to be over 35 & deposit $US20,000 in an approved bank, for this you get permanent residency status (for as long as the money is in the bank) & WP/able to own a Business etc...

Not sure whether PI requires proof of employment or whether the $US20,000 would cover the 200,000THB proof of funds but might be worth looking into if you're aged 35 - 50.

Edited by JB300

Rather experience then wishful thinking. I know, it would be disappoint the OGF if it will be that way. If not, not a big issue (at least) for me, since i sorted already my options.

Think I know what OFG stands for. Granted I am in that group. What exactly is your problem here?

Whichever way you want to look at it history proves it's the same old story - whenever there's an agenda like this (and that's using very broad brush strokes, read between the lines) you make someone (the foreigner) the scapegoat, appear to take the hardline and make an example of them (even if they are like <deleted> have we done??) and push nationalism in to the minds of folks.

It just depends how gullible they and it is when you truly realize the value of education in societies as a whole.

• Like 2